no idea it would bloom and never seen a photo

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I was caught in total surprise this AM when I saw that my X Mangave 'Blood Spot' was developing a stalk and flower. Never ever had I thought about it flowering probably because I have never seen a photo of one or read anything about this happening. Is the plant monocarpic? I will continue taking and posting photos to share through the flower's growth and death. In the meantime, here are today's photos. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Fountain Hills, AZ(Zone 9b)

Exciting! Guess we'll soon find out if it's monocarpic or not. Fingers crossed!

Arlington, TX

I hope not, its a really pretty plant.
C

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

It is a gorgeous plant. However it is suybject to bright and hot sun in the morning and late afternoon and some of the spots and leaves fade. But is has a great shape. Hopefully it will survive. Very curious about the flower. Will keep posting pics as the stalk grows. Xuling

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Maybe it will create bulbils even if it's monocarpic.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

no sign of any yet.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Bulbils sometimes take a while, even a year after the inforescence appears.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I would be very surprised to learn it is not monocarpic.. the good thing is these are so common now, you can get large ones at Home Depot for cheap.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

How come I can never find any? I think my local home depot just sucks. I should check a bigger one out.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

The stalk is definitely showing now. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Redwood City, CA

My mangaves (I don't have blood spot) have bloomed without dying. I just cut the stalks off which grew very high and then had very disappointing blooms. Sorry, I can't remember the names of them.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

palmbob, I was at a small local nursery which had lots of the 'Blood Spots' for sale and several of them had many babies, so I purchased one of those and they are happily growing in the ground now. Some day when larger I will separate them and scatter them around through out the garden. Xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

today's pic, it is growing daily. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Redwood City, CA

Hey Xuling, Re monocarpic issue, I mistakenly stated that I had blooming mangaves. Once I started thinking about it, I remembered that my blooming plants were manfredas, not mangaves as I stated. So the bloom may indeed signal the plant's demise, but enjoy it in the mean time.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I am enjoying it and here are today's photos of the plant. It stalk is taller today and the flower head a little more defined. I had both a Manfreda 'Suavo Bravo' and an xMangave 'Macho Mocha' which bloomed either last year or two years ago (Xuling's poor memory) and had tall stalks with not much by the way of flowers, and they both died after giving me lots of babies which are now planted around the yard and growing like mad. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Odd... I have a Manfreda virginica (native to this area) that blooms every year and has not died. It has tall and insignificant blooms that are incredibly fragrant. The blooms stalks tower 6 feet over the plant.

Looking forward to seeing your bloom on the Mangave ~ it has very attractive foliage. Kristi

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Pics right off the press. The flower head is becoming more distinctive. Xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

The stalk is 29" tall. The flower head is getting quite distinct. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Today's pics. The stalk has grown to 34 inches. Such a fast grower. Xuling

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

That is growing incredibly fast... So cool.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

it is about 37" now. although the yard stick is at an angle for the photo I held it with both hands as best as possible in order to measure it properly. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is today's photo of the flower. The stalk is now 43" tall. I suspect that the bloom will not be much of anything. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

I will agree that the bloom will probably not be very showy but I would bet it will be fragrant. Looking forward.... Kristi

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

me too !!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

The stalk is now 50" tall. I am not sure that the blossom will actually open as most do. If it is going to it should be soon. xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Has grown to 54 inches. I do not know if the flower bud will really open or this is it????? Xuling

Nope ~ that's not all she wrote. This should be the end result... http://gallery.plantdelights.com/main.php?g2_itemId=7139 and when yours does bloom, I hope you will add the photos to the PlantFiles also. Also hoping to hear that it smells wonderful.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

This is fascinating!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

It is now 61" tall and the flower head is getting very small. My x Mangave 'Macho Mocha' and the Manfreda 'Suavo Bravo' variegata both had actual flower blossoms, albeit it they were not much of anything. This one doesn't look like it is going to blossom, although there is still enough of a head that it could. Xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

64 inches and I guess it is not going to bloom in the common sense. As the stalk grows it sheds little blossoms which do not open and now there is almost nothing left of the tip blossom. very strange. xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are todays photos. The stalk is now a little over 66 inches. Since I don't know botany I am guessing that the little stalks with flower buds growing on them are all part of the "flower", which makes it a 22 inch tall flower. The very tip does not look like it is going to "open" as we think of flowers opening. And so far there are no hints that the plant is going to die, but it is early yet. And there are no little babies growing off the plant itself or as pups at the bottom. I will wait and see what happens. Xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

It is now 71.5 inches tall. And the tip is quite small.The body looks fine so far. Xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

As of today it is 74 inches tall. And the tall it grows the smaller the tip. xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Probably the growing tip has stopped. Today it is still 74". However the flowerettes (?) from the lowest on the spike to the tip is 29" long.
The flowerettes look like they might bloom; I guess that I will find out shortly. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

Honestly, I never understood why you thought it wouldn't bloom. Keep on posting, thanks for the visual log!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Hola German Star, I thought that it would bloom in the beginning, but then began thinking that the bloom would be at the tip, not all up and down the stalk. I confuse easily. Xuling

Doesn't bloom until stalk construction is completed,

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

similar type blooms I have seen are beautiful when they all open at once... just you wait!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

In 2010 I had a Manfreda 'Suavo Bravo variegata' that had a 9 foot stalk (+/-) that grew before my very eyes, but the blooms were not much of anything. But I do have lots of its babies planted all over the yard. And my xMangave 'Macho Mocha' had a tall stalk with not much by the way of flowers, but have lots of its babies planted all over the yard also. When these two have more babies I have no more room for them, what will I do? Xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

This lively creature is now 76" tall and the tip is very small. Here are 3 pics. Xuling

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.