Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: Summer production!

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 11, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9205662

Hi all!!! It's been such a HOT summer, way to hot to run the kiln (we've got a severe drought going on here in Wisconsin). We've spent much of our summer building fences...first a picket one to keep our 4 chickens out of my veggie garden, then more of a farm type fence to keep our chickens out of the neighbors yard.

I've got a lot of items glazed just waiting for it to cool down. But I have been going to pottery class and they've ran their kiln so I did manage to finish a few items and thought I'd share.

These are all Cone 6

#1: This is a plate made, we're arguing over which glazes I used (others want to repeat the combo); I really should write this stuff down!
#2: A small platter with handles, the pitcher I actually made a couple years ago but it matched so I photoed them together. The green color is Amoco brand Kiwi (I think) the brown is Amoco Oil spot (I think)
#3: These are tiny (like 4 inches tall) pitchers in various colors that I'll be giving to my co-workers for Christmas, they all live in other states so I must keep that shipping cost down! The one in the front has one of my favorite glazes on it; Coyote Gun Metal Green #4: A small (6 inch diameter maybe) plate, used rubber stamps to imprint the pattern; Glaze is Coyote Crazed Copper.
#5: A rooster plate also imprinted with rubber stamps; I used another favorite glaze on this one, Coyote Root beer

Hope you are all having a most excellent summer!

Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9205681

Oh how beautiful, but I must say my heart belongs to your tiny pitchers, I love, love them. They are just perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Jan
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

July 15, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9205784

Really cool !! I love Kiwi. It's one of my favorites. I must look for the Coyote Root Beer. The little pitchers are awesome !!
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 15, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9205972

A very nice batch of projects! The pitchers are so cute - love the different little designs you used on each. I'll look forward to seeing more pieces as it cools off and you fire more.

Have to say that I'm really drawn to the second and fifth pictures and I just love that Amoco Kiwi and Oil Spot, and the Coyote Root Beer! Think my spirit is calling me to use more natural colors away from the bright more primary ones I typically use.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9205983

Chrissy!
I am in love with everything!...
I ran a load in my kiln yesterday... HOLY MOSES!!! We had to open both doors in my husband's shop. I have more to run but it will have to wait. We're expecting another heat wave this week... UGH! The heat and humidity have been off the scale.

I have been using black,white and red clays together... and loving the results.

Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9206006

Thanks all...glad you like my work! Especially the pitchers since those are going to be gifts :-)

Deb.. I can't wait to see your work with the black, white and red clays! To those that like the root beer, it's truly a great glaze. I always get great results using it, it's one of Coyote's Celadon series. I'm actually a big Coyote fan, have tried many of their glazes (they have great info on their glazes on their website, but i tend to buy from bigceramicstore.com when its on sale :-) .

So I really do have enough glazed right now to fire the kiln but it's mostly peep (chick) pitchers, piggy banks and test tiles. I bought some dry glaze for the first time about a year ago (from clayscapes pottery) and finally mixed it up, now I need to test it! But I do have a ton more already bisqued ready to use that glaze should it come out well (if not there's alway's root beer!). I also bought some interactive pigments (from georgie's ) which I'm starting to experiment. I have to admit that I'm addicted to glazes, I keep buying more and more and more...

Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 15, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9206024

Yes I'm entranced by glazes and want to try some new techniques. First I want to try some Mason Stains mixed into slip and use an applicator bottle to apply, and then I want to try a technique I just saw yesterday on a short video clip from Ceramic Arts Daily. Here's the link: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-colorants-ceramic-supplies-2/video-of-the-week-decorating-pottery-with-colored-slips/

Ceramics Arts Daily daily email has so many great ideas I could easily spend hours each day if I'm not careful. I love their DVDs but they are just too expensive for me to buy. I should check with the libraries in my area to see if they have any.

ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9206045

Annie... I too love Ceramic's Art Daily, watched that video yesterday :-) Good idea to check the library for videos, you may also want to check out youtube, I could spend hours there watching the how to videos! Sigh...there are just so many ideas so little time!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9207259

Oh, Chrissy, I like everything you posted, but those little pitchers are just PRECIOUS!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9207666

I have never tried a MASON STAIN. I have a friend that sues them alot. Can they be used on Low Fire?

Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9207746

Believe it or not I have to make some more of those little pitchers, got just under 5 months 'til Christmas! Glad to hear you all like them, they are pretty easy, maybe I'll take pictures of the steps for y'all :-)

I've never used Mason stain either but read that they can be used at any temp. Bigceramicstore.com has a lot of information on them. I need to not read the details or I'll be buying some and I really need to use some of the supplies I already have!

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9210038

Nice stuff! Those pitchers are very cute and Coyote does make some pretty glazes!

Mason stains are a great way to make your own glazes, but it takes a lot of work to get reliable results out of them. You should start with powdered glaze recipes and some colors require different chemicals to be present or not in order for them to work properly. If you're a hobby potter who's making pottery because it's fun, it's easier to stick with buying the ready made glazes and underglazes already available, because the work has already been done for you. If you really want to learn to start experimenting with stains you might as well plan on giving up making pottery for fun and dedicating at least a year's worth of your "fun time" into "researching and experimenting with glaze" time.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America