AuthorContent

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9205984

chuckle, where did those tags go? 2 months is too long to neglect ones herbs, but the kitchen smells heavenly with some of the bush wacking I did this morning, yummm. wonder if some of these make seeds? or just root as they grow...wonder if I will have time during these rains to find out, and more precip to come

Thumbnail by kittriana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9206014

Lime basil, ?blue basil, spicy globe basil, curley leaf parsley in the tall glass, in the bowl is spicy hot oregano, and lemon thyme, I also later brought in my German thyme (mother of thyme) its BLOOMING! and snatched an asparagus spear that grew overnite, sigh, so good! How's your herbs lookin guys- I am in heaven (in tween raindrops)
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9206453

Basil and lemon balm will root in a cup of water, and my oregano readily self sows. Sweet Marjoram is slowly expanding, but not at nearly the rate of the oregano. It appears to be creeping forward as opposed to oregano, that shows up up to a few feet from the mother patch. I can tell by the smell of the leaves that it is the oregano showing up in various places. You have a lovely little herb garden there.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9206482

Thank you, I love the aromas, wistfully wish I could garden in the 18 wheeler-wouldn't AZ have a cow! Chuckl, no sense of humor at 48 state traveling gardens...I have had lemon balm, but chose bee balm this time, this oregano is traveling, and I haven't started at trimming the rosemary yet, I have no clue if this oregano will bloom-no sign of anything except an attempt to carpet the world from it.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9208043

Kitt ~ are you drying them to take on the road with you? Like you, I love the fragrances.

I don't know if there are different oreganos but mine is in bloom right now.

Your herbal garden proves that the herbs will thrive on neglect. Very nice! Kristi

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9208203

wellll, neglect of sorts, dau has sporadic watering habits, chuckle, am only home 4 days, no time to dry and ours live thru the winters for the most part, there are different oreganoes- mine says spicy hot oregano which is as generic a name as you can get, I do sniff and smells when I get a chance because some oreganoes I don't like the flavor of, but I do need to remember to write down my sniffs as the memory seems to get confused as to what I was smelling. If oreganoes grow, they grow crazy, not all of em will grow in same soils, and they taste different if you do dry them than when fresh. I grew up making tacos with meat that was seasoned with cumin, oregano, and if mom took a whim, she'd add a bit of sage, plus garlic and onion-we did it by pinch and shake til happy with the aroma, I find I like chopped black olives in the mix now too. No one I knows does taco meat that way anymore... ooooh, a memory of raising my daughter in Wichita Falls and the Taco Manana there had an old cook who made the best bar none tacos(- with red pouffed shells like a soapapilla bread) that is a secret recipe I haven't been able to figure out, yummmm. I am saving seeds if I can figure out how to do so tho. here in the lower right of the bed is the oregano-i think?

Thumbnail by kittriana

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9208207

yup, thats it
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9208331

Hmmm ~ that taco blend sounds really good. I live with a guy that thinks tastes of foods shouldn't vary. Rather narrow.

You shouldn't have to worry about how to save seed. In your area, the oregano will overwinter. Mine stays out in a pot regardless of cold. I love the "groundcover" appearance of oregano.

Guess it is just as well you aren't taking them dried over the road. They'd think you were transporting something illegal. lol

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9208454

Dear heavens forbid! That would be strange if the drug sniffing dogs couldnt tell the difference tween oregano and hemp, chuckl - those dogs complain at me anyway when they know I"ve been home and my Gypsy has left rott/wolf hairs all over me, hehehe, at least the handlers are pretty good at understanding dog speak...

Thumbnail by kittriana

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9208502

Off topic but - a wolf x rottie hybrid? I would have never thought to mix the two. I've had Rotties for years - love em!!! Ok back to your regular scheduled programing...LOL

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9208565

She is- I wish I lived in colder climate for her-the gal is a hair factory-she had 2 litters of pups-picky like a wolf- 4 pups each time-2 were colored like the father, 2 were colored like her, both times. She behaves like a pup, but is about 8 yrs old now, sweetest tempered 65# hunting killer there is, chuckl, and I think the cross was unexpected, dad was the Rott, mom the timber wolf, and same owner. Bragging rights-she was named by my ex in honor of me-he sent her to me when he couldn't keep her out of the pastures - she would lay down under a tree and wait til the coon forgot she was there, climb down and then we would washing blood off her, chuckl. yes, back to my slower paced beloved plants, chuckl

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America