Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9206181

Time for a new thread, we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265656/

Here's an Arctic Tern to get going

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 15, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9206194

He's a beauty Resin!

Thanks for starting the new thread!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9206355

Wow! That Arctic Tern is gorgeous.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9206441

Very nice start, Resin. Amazing to see a Tern away from water.

And I thought this interesting- Barn Swallow in a tree. I think the heat was getting to it.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9206447

Thanks for starting the new thread Resin. And the Arctic Tern is real knock-out, beautiful.

Chillybean, nice capture of the Barn Swallow, you reckon the poor thing was looking for some shade?

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 15, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9206522

Beautiful Tern to start the thread with, Resin. From the last thread, we've been seeing on the TV news over here about the amount of rain you folks have been getting.

That does look odd to see a Swallow in amongst the foliage, Chilly.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9206587

Thanks for the new thread, Resin! Wonderful shot of the Arctic Tern...really stunning against the greenery!

Nice catch of the Barn Swallow, Chilly. If your heat has been anything like our heat, the birds and critters are probably all a little warm.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9206638

A few Mallard Ducks staying cool in the Fox River.

1) Drake (male)
2) Female
3) Juvie Drake

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9206886

Yes, it's been very warm here. It's getting up to 100, plus humidity again today.

We planted some sunflowers for the birds and already have one taker. This was neat because we were standing about five feet away and didn't know he was there until the sunflowers started moving.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9207013

Resin, thank you for the wonderful new start. Loved your Arctic Tern.

Chilly, I guess even swallows need a break from the hot sun. Great photos of your little swallow and the goldfinch.

Nutsaboutnature, great photos of the mallards.

Here's a younger hooded oriole, a young bullock's oriole and an oak titmouse enjoying their morning baths.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9207020

Cute pic, Chillybean!
Our Goldfinches LOVE our coneflowers. As it gets a little later in the season we'll sometimes see 3 or 4 of them hopping from bloom-to-bloom pulling out the seeds.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9207026

Duc - Love the pics and the settings are suberb! Did you say a while back that your birdbath fountain was solar? That's so cool!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9207192

nuts, I love the ducks, especially the female - nice detail.

Hey, Chilly, the goldfinch, I don't see any open flowers, what do you reckon it is eating?

duc, I like the looks of your bird bath. That titmouse sure looks refreshed.

This little skinny Ruby-throated hummer, needs to eat more.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9207260

Thanks, Hack! That Hummer's a tiny little thing but so darling!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9207272

Hack,

Some of the flowers had opened, so it looked like they were eating from those.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9207696

Thanks all!
Chillybean wrote: Amazing to see a Tern away from water.

It's sitting on its nest

Resin
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9207764

Resin, will we be seeing pics of baby Terns anytime soon? Hope so!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9208100

Went outside today and enjoyed watching a bunch of Brown-headed Nuthatches flit around. Later they were joined by a Carolina Chickadee.

Pic 1 is of a pair of B-h Huthatches on the feeder.

Pic 2 is of a third B-h Nuthatch awaiting it's turn.

Pic 3 is of the Carolina Chickadee.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 16, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9208144

Great start with the Arctic Tern. Happy to hear she's on a nest. Hope we will see some babies.
I'm surprise too, to see the barn Swallow in the tree. It is wise to seek some shade with those temp.
Love the Mallards, Nut.
Two sweet looking birds, Duc.
Hacks, I have not been successful in getting Hummingbirds shot. They hate the sounds of the auto focus and shutter.

A little family of Kestrel. I don't know if the brush pile was their nest. I didn't research yet, if they nest in such place.
The parent standing guard on the fence in front of the brush pile.
An attempt at flying. I don't think it was it's first time, though. Because he made it to the power line afterward.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 16, 2012

Post #9208147

Love the BH Nuthatch, Hack.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9208148

Hack, those are some cute pics!
Love the two nuthatches with sunflower seeds in their beaks. I've never seen Brown-headed Nuthatches. Up here we have White-breasted year 'round and sometimes Red-breasted in the Spring/Summer. The Carolina Chickadee looks similar to our Black-capped Chickadees with some minor differences in markings.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9208158

Very cool shots of the Kestrels, burn!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #9208308

nutsaboutnature wrote:Resin, will we be seeing pics of baby Terns anytime soon? Hope so!

Not got any pics myself, but there's some here: http://farnephoto.blogspot.co.uk/ (scroll down through the posts)

Resin
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9208441

Oh my gosh...words can't even describe how adorable those pictures are...especially the first one of the newborn!!! Resin, thanks so much for sharing that link with all of us!!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9208471

Burn, that's interesting about your hummies. I was within four feet of a female once and took pics, she didn't seem to mind. About Kestrels, in our area they nest in cavities, and our county puts up boxes for them along the county roads. We put up a box, but the only interested party was starlings, so we boarded it up. We'll open it up again in the fall since that's when Kestrels come closer to our place and see if they might want to claim it.

Resin, that shows what I don't know. :) For some reason, I pictured them nesting on rocks or on beaches.

I don't have many of my most recent photos shrank down yet, but here is our favorite little woodpecker trying out our peanut feeder. Those gracks and HOSP are being silly again. This type of feeder makes more work for them if they must have nuts. I wish the Blue Jays would figure it out, so I can stop putting a few in the platform. We have some young jays that are a treat to have around. They crack me up with their attempts at the hawk call.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9208490

Chillybean wrote:Resin, that shows what I don't know. :) For some reason, I pictured them nesting on rocks or on beaches.

They often do! It varies from one colony to another depending on the local situation.

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 18, 2012
2:00 AM

Post #9209738

Fantastic birds, everyone. The Kestrels are gorgeous, Burn.

I was down the river a few days ago and could hear Little Corellas playing nearby. I located them, rolling about on the grass, wrestling with each other. They are hilarious to watch. It's pure play and even though those beaks can do a lot of damage, they never hurt each other. It's a fluid group, each bird breaking off from wrestling to search in the grass for food, only to rejoin its pals after a few seconds. Sometimes there'll be three or four little groups of up to five birds in a tangle of beaks, wings and claws. I was watching a group of them on a grassy hillside a few months back and they were locked together, tumbling down the hill and when they reached the bottom, they disengaged, walked-flew up the hill again and started all over again. I hope you don't mind that I've posted so many.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 18, 2012
2:02 AM

Post #9209739

They even bring sticks into play.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 18, 2012
2:02 AM

Post #9209740

I hope you enjoyed seeing these clowns of the bird world in action.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9209807

OMG. they are so funny. I love the last one in the second group. I think s/he is actually smiling. And they are so clean!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 18, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9209822

They really are a hoot. I should learn how to use the video on the camera.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9209847

Oh man, Margaret, I never knew such behavior happened. Does DG do video I wonder?

Maybe I can find some of the action on YoutTube.

Are they THAT LOUD?

Hack
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9209864

Great shots all. Love the Kestrel family Burn. Those bird clowns are a hoot Margaret. What fun.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9209908

Love, love those birds at play too Margaret, what's fun! I don't think DG has vedios feature yet. Hacks, we post ours on utubes, then brought it to DG.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9209910

Oh Margaret. . .What a hysterical series!! Count me as another that had never heard of these clowns. Your pics are fantastic and really show all the activity and their expressions on their faces. Thanks so much for sharing!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 18, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9209952

I'm glad you all enjoyed them. I've seen them playing on the swings in children's playgrounds and often, when walking by a tree they've gathered in, you can see them hanging upside down by their claws, sometimes two or three of them intertwined, whilst others will be hanging off a sprig of leaves by their beaks, spinning round and round, like kids twirl to make themselves dizzy. And yes, Hack, they're noisy, but not as noisy as the Rainbow Lorikeets.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9209978

Those were great, Margaret. We see so many birds fighting and chasing each other off that this is fun!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 18, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9210019

So many great shots by everyone!!!!!

Margaret, Those Corella are hysterical! Your pics are great!

Chilly, Love the Jay and Goldfinch! Sweet Barn Swallow!

Burn, Those are awesome Kestrel!!

Hack, Love the Nuthatch and Chickadee! Sweet Hummer too!

Duc, I am always in awe of your beautiful birds and shots!

Nuts, Love your Ducks!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9210116

Oh, I'd Love to see video of those clowns.

Hack, I'm jealous of your brown headed nuthatch. Not too many people have those.
I've been seeing a couple of hummers lately, which for me signals the beginning of migration

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9210916

Ha, I found some of Margaret's Corellas on YouTube playing in the park.

Hack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbCU4sGF57E
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 19, 2012
2:59 AM

Post #9210959

Good show, Hack. You can also hear a baby begging in the background and then the sounds of it being fed.

Here's another one from the other day. I hope you can see that one has the other by the foot. If there was any pressure applied, the foot would be snapped off like a twig, but they just mouth their playmates.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9211545

Hack, your little hummer sure is skinny but cute. Thanks for finding the video on the Corellas-loved it.

Burn, how lucky you were to find the nesting kestrels! Loved that last photo of the attempted flight.

Chilly, that little wp at the feeder is sweet.

Margaret, outstanding photos of the Corellas. They're so entertaining, I can imagine how much fun they were to photograph.

I need to read up on taking videos too! Hubby helped me pack the camera and tripod to a nearby park on the lake. We found some nesting western grebes and there was lots of action as some tried to protect their nests from others. Keep in mind the nests are built on floating mats of vegetation and one reason lots of eggs aren't hatched is that the eggs are washed off the nest by the waves of passing boats.

The last photo shows 5 abandoned eggs-the parents probably abandoned the nest when they found there wasn't enough bait fish in the area to feed the little ones. In 1990 we had over 70,000 grebes on our lake and this year there are only about 5000-mostly due to the lake of small fish.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9211670

Awww, Duc. Those grebes are so interesting. Sorry their habitat is being adversely affected. Hope they'll some how rebound soon.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 19, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9211738

Brilliant shots, Duc.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 19, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9212061

Outstanding shots duc!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9212244

Hack, thanks for finding that video of the Corellas. I think Margaret has gotten us all hooked!

Thanks, Margaret for the additional pic. I doubt I'd ever get tired of watching them.

Amazing shots duc! It's a real shame about their habitat. Sadly, that seems to be happening with a lot of wildlife. I'd love to think that they'll eventually rebound or maybe find another lake with more of the fish they need to survive.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9212349

Here's some more photos from the park-
Great Egrets and a Black-crowned Heron,
Great Egrets and a Blue Heron.

Back at home, the juvenile Brewer's Blackbirds are showing up.
A female Red-winged Blackbird.
A pair of Red-winged Blackbirds along with a Brown-headed Cowbird that apparently was raised with this pair.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9212430

Beautiful pics, duc! Love the settings they're in.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9212689

I'm glad you put me on to the antics of those Corellas, Margaret. They're fun to watch.

duc, I enjoyed the pics of the western grebes. I'd hope all those missing grebes are somewhere else and not dead. AND your last pic of the pair of Red-winged Blackbirds with their "young-un", for some reason, struck me as funny. Love really is blind.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9212699

Been a little rainy here in Dixie. I have some pics to share.

#1 - I have lots of House FInches here - always do. A male and female were feeding when another female joined in.

#2 - You know, I can't recall the last time I snapped a Mockingbird. This one was all over the place.

#3 - Oh yeah, I got Mourning doves. Seems like there are one or two always moving around on the ground under the feeders. Now, and then, I'll even see one on a feeder.

#4 - I used to have this platform feeder setting on a old stump. I had the stump removed when I planted a couple of Snowball trees. So, I put it under a large cover and hung it from a young oak tree. Got a communty thing going on - a lot. Here is a female House Finch, a female House Sparrow and juvy cardinal eating from the same plate. They all got along.

I now have covers over all my feeders - drives the squirrels insane, and makes for a good show to watch - now, that could use a video, lol.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2012 6:02 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 20, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9212943

That would be funny, Hack.

Nice shots, Duc. Beautiful setting that the egrets are in.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9213233

Love the pics, Hack!

I find in my yard that most of the non-aggresssive birds are happy to share a feeder. We commonly see Cardinals, House Finches and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at one feeder...sometimes even more varieties. Most of the birds, though not all, will avoid the Blackbirds, including the Red-winged, unless there's food spread over a large area on the ground.

If you want to draw more Mourning Doves to your feeders, try a little Safflower seed in a tray-type feeder. They absolutely love it! Most of the time our Mourning Doves stay on the ground to feed, but it doesn't take long for them to discover the Safflower seed.

Safflower is kind of expensive, but I use it in small quantities once the Blackbirds arrive since it gives the more timid birds a place to eat without being bothered. The Blackbirds can't crack the hard shells so they leave it alone. Some birds may take a while to start eating it, but once they do, they'll go there regularly since the fatty seed is highly nutritious.

Here's a few pics from my yard and one from the nearby Fox River.

1) Red-winged Blackbird female at the river

2) Young Downy Woodpecker

3) Young Cardinal

4) Goldfinch male

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9213292

Hack great pictures of your birds. Glad your mocker has returned, mine have disappeared and I really miss them. My hubby put an upside down pot saucer under one of our feeders that is outside the fence and it stopped the squirrels but now the deer have learned to stand on two feet and tip the feeder which pours the seed out onto the ground.lol

Nutsaboutnature, thanks for mentioning the safflower seeds. I'll have to get some for my doves. Great photos of your birds. I wish our woodpeckers would come to the sunflower seed feeder but the only thing they'll eat here is when I have the peanut butter log out in the colder months.

Here's a photo of "Stubby", a Brewer's Blackbird that I've been photographing on my deck since 2009, a female Red-winged Blackbird and a Black-headed Grosbeak that looks like its been eating my neighbor's blackberries.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 4:26 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9213326

Duc, wonderful shots...so clear and crisp!
That's so cool that the Brewer's Blackbird has been around for so long. We probably have long-term residents, but sometimes it's hard to tell for sure. We do have a Mallard pair that have been coming back every Spring for about 5 years. They don't stay in the yard all the time, but visit several times a day, sometimes hanging around for hours. After a while they stop coming so we figure they have a brood to take care of.

The Black-headed Grosbeak is so cute with blackberry juice all over it's face! It's certainly easy to tell who the "thief" was.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 21, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9213433

Excellent shots Hack, nuts and duc!!!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9213530

Hack and Duc - I forgot to mention a couple of things about Safflower seed.

The 1st is that Squirrels don't like it so you don't have to worry so much about where you put it, although occasionally the Chipmunks/Ground Squirrels will eat it if it's on the ground (they eat anything!).

The 2nd is if your Doves don't realize it's in the feeder, you might try also sprinkling a little on the ground around the feeder. It won't hurt the plants or grass like sunflower seed shells do.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9213554

Thanks for the info Nutsabout.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9213627

Had a Brown-headed Nuthatch land just above my head (I was sitting on my 4-wheeler and maybe could have touched it) and my 400 mm prime lens wouldn't focus (the bird was too close). It wasn't the first time that had happened, either.

So, I got some advice from others and went on Amazon and bought me a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD Telephoto Zoom Lens. It is supposed to be a real sharp picture taker, I guess we'll see.

Next, I'm gonna sell my non-L 70-300 on eBay to help pay for the L 70-300 lens.

ETA of the new lens is July 27th - 29th, looking forward to getting it.

Hack

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 11:02 PM

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9213973

nutsaboutnature, nice snaps, 'specially the boy goldfinch. Yep, I knew about the safflower seed, just haven't bought any more lately.

duc, I really liked the pic of the Black-headed Grosbeak, tack sharp.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9214245

Funny about the Brown-headed Nuthatch, Hack.
Congrats on the new lens! Hope you get some really great bird photos!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9214821

I'm trying to find the thread where we listed our cameras, lenses, etc, but can't find it.

Do any of you have it bookmarked?

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9215080

Hack - This is the most recent one I know of, but it only goes through March, 2011. If there is a newer one, I'm not aware of it. Hope this helps.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146178/

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
11:24 PM

Post #9215173

That's it! - thanks nutsaboutnature. Mrs_Ed even gave me a bump yesterday on the thread.

Hack
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 23, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9215201

Nice shots, Hack, duc and nuts.

From the day before yesterday. A Kookaburra and a flight of Pacific Black Ducks. I also managed to get a couple of dodgy shots of an osprey as it plunged into the bay after a fish (got one, too). This is a different family to the ones I have been watching for years.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9215441

Hey Margaret, every time you post a pic of a Kookaburra I start singing that song "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree. Merry merry king of the bush is he. Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh, Kookaburra, Gay your life must be", lol.

I wonder, is that a gum tree?

Hack
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 23, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9215450

Too funny, Hack. Yes, it is a gum tree - an old one, too. We had a couple of workmen here today and one got a call on his mobile and he had to tell the caller to ring back as he couldn't hear because of the racket the Kookaburras were making.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9215458

Glad that's the one you wanted, Hack! I also just saw that Mrs_Ed bumped the thread.

Amazing pictures, Margaret (as always)!! That's a funny story about the workmen, too.

Hack, it's a shame we don't have Audio on DG so we can hear you sing the song about the Kookaburra!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9215497

nutsaboutnature wrote: Hack, it's a shame we don't have Audio on DG so we can hear you sing the song about the Kookaburra!

Ha, get out'a here. But you may not know that I do play guitar and harmonica and sing in a bluegrass band - have been for about 15-16 years, now.

We are called "The Wildwood Bluegrass Band" - we even played for one of the reunions of Gen. George Patton's WWII troops - now, that was something. We originally had been hired to play Fri night, but got invited back to play Sat, too.

a few weeks ago my wife bought herself her first guitar and I'm showing her how make the chords: G, C, D, and Em for now. With just those four chords and a capo, you can play a ton of songs. Her fingers are sore, but she seems to really be into it.

Hack.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9215504

Margaret, I'll be looking up the song of a Kookaburra, soon. Can't wait to hear the racket. Gonna go a get breakfast in a few minutes.

Hack

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 23, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9215524

Hack We sang that song in Girl Scouts. didn't have the guitar for help, however.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9215533

Hack, that's fascinating! It's amazing how much we DON'T know about our DG friends. That's so cool! And I hope you do know that I was only joking?

Also, Good Luck to your wife on the guitar playing. I'm sure she'll be fantastic once she gets the hang of it!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9215604

irisMA, I don't know why I know the song, I just do. Catchy little tune, too.

nutsaboutnature, I did know you were joking and you are so right about us not knowing the other talents/gifts of our DG friends.

Hack
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9216284

Thanks for your comments on the Kestrels, they were a great to observe so close by.
I`m still hoping to see a Cardinal, Nuts. They are rarely seen here. My SIL had the pleasure of seeing one in her backyard, a few winters ago.
Margaret, I so enjoyed your playful Corellas. Hack thanks for posting the link to them on you tube.
Chilli, I like feeders like yours, where they make the Grackles work harder, for their food.
I love your shots of the Grebes, but am sad to see they are losing habitats. And your Brewer blackbird seem to manage very well with his short beak, Duc.

A family of Loons, swimming leisurely on the lake.
At the same lake there were a few Canada geese walking about. This is one of them.
At home a Black-capped Chickadee was calling.
Later on, I got the visit of a Yellow Warbler.
And found this Pheasant by the road, while out on a drive

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 10:54 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9216301

Great variety burn, Your Black-capped Chickadee looks just like one of my Carolina Chickadees, must be a distribution thing. AND that Pheasant is one pretty bird.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9216458

Looks like the goldfinches are back.

#1 - Male
#2 - Female

Hack

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9216459

Oooh...burn, such beautuful photos! The Chickadee looks so cute all fluffed out and the colors on the Pheasant are stunning.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2012

Post #9216474

Thanks Hack and Nuts. I`m seeing just a few Goldfinches so far, Hack, I believe soon, they will rule the yard with their young.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9216476

Hack & burn...our Goldfinches tend to come and go (all year 'round). Sometimes we have so many they're all over the place and other times only a couple. It even varies from year-to-year.

Some of the females are starting to collect the cotton fluff I keep in a suet feeder for nesting birds. Some of them are getting ready to nest, but we commonly see newly fledged Goldfinch babies in September. They're late nesters, anyway so I guess the ones that stay here in Winter aren't in any hurry.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2012 10:22 PM
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9216648

I have been lurking and not commenting, but I love all of the pictures. Great shots.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9216764

Nutsaboutnature, what kind of fluff do you put in the suet feeder? Cotton balls? I saved my hair, pulled from the hairbrush and chopped into shorter pieces, and crammed it into a suet cage and the Orioles and Chippings were seen at it. It's about gone, so I wonder what else might have used it. We have plenty of thistle around here, so I suspect the Goldfinches use that, but it would be fun to experiment next year.

1. A life bird for us yesterday, Grasshopper Sparrow.
2. If this was the mated pair in our yard this year, they sure didn't act like it when I took this picture. The male kept trying to chase her off.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9216795

Big congrats on the Lifer, Chillybean. I've never heard of, nor seen, a Grasshopper Sparrow - thanks for sharing.

And I'm still intrigued with you folks who use oranges to get Orioles. So far, I've had no success. Maybe I'm just too far south and don't know when to expect to be visited by Orioles. I need to read up on the subject. Once, though, I did see and photograph an Orchard Oriole, but I think that was early in the year a long, long, long time ago.

About your orange halves, how do you have them afixed to the stump so that they don't roll off?

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9216799

GrannyGrunt wrote:I have been lurking and not commenting, but I love all of the pictures. Great shots.

Hi, Granny.

Hack

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 24, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9216830

the people who use oranges usually hook them to the source somehow. The orioles like our tulip poplar, but blossmes are too high in the tree for good observations this year.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9216846

Hi GrannyGrunt!

Congrats on your Lifer Chillybean!

Over the years I've used different types of nesting "stuff", but a few years ago I discovered some "all-natural fibers" Nesting Material in a Farm & Fleet store where I get most of my bird seed, corn, etc. I've also seen similar brands at Wild Birds Unlimited (but it costs more).

The fluff I buy comes in a big bag and I only need to use a little at a time. Usually it lasts more than one season and rain doesn't cause a problem since it dries quickly in the suet feeder. It's very inexpensive, probably only a few dollars for a very full package.

The brand I have is called Heritage Farms and it's made in the USA. They have a toll-free phone # on the package: 800-635-3831. They also list 2 websites: http://www.heritagefarms.biz & http://www.kayhomeproducts.com. I don't know if they ship, but I'm sure you could also find similar products locally.

Hack - The Orioles will come to oranges if they're already in the area. You may not have any around right now. You might want to go to some of the websites that have bird sounds. The Orioles are VERY talkative & very distinctive. They make chattering sounds when they're in the trees as well as other types of sounds. Once you've heard what they sound like you'll probably recognize it immediately in the future. I generally hear the Orioles before I see them.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9216862

Yep, iris, I figured they had to hook the oranges down someway or other./

nutsaboutnature, I will do more research on the Orioles, but you talk on the bedding material perked my interest. I'll check around here and see what I find locally. Maybe Tractor supply - that's where I buy lots of my seed and all my suet.

I have some pics to share, too:

#1 - I am awed by how red my male House Finches are.

#2 - Here's a male cardinal and I think the Male HOFIN is just as red, maybe redder.

#3 - Saw the leaves moving and spotted this female Cardinal.

#4 - My little Brown-headed Nuthatches were all around.

#5 - Lousy pic of a Brown-thresher. I'd seen one yesterday taking a sand bath, but didn't get the 40D in time. Wish now that I had used manual focus instead of AF on this one. The leaves in the foreground messed me up.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012

Post #9217005

Nutsaboutnature, Thank you for the info. I'll look into it. That is interesting how you know the Orioles are in your area. We see them before we hear them. This year what we did is watched the Iowa bird list for when people started sharing their Oriole sightings and we put out the oranges a couple days later to give time for any migration my way. They came into our area about four days later, but the oranges were always kept there until that time.

Hack, We pounded two nails into the stump, but not very far in, so we could spear the oranges on them. You might be interested in this http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/gabo-l.html This is the bird list for your state. When I signed on for the one run by the Iowa Ornithologists Union, the people were very helpful and guided me to different groups for info. Not only rare sightings are posted, but a lot of first of the season birds, yard birds, etc. I always enjoyed the yard bird sightings, it'd be cool when someone sees a bird for the first time. And new birders are always fun as they liven things up with their excitement.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9217015

GrannyGrunt wrote:I have been lurking and not commenting, but I love all of the pictures. Great shots.

Me too...

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9217019

Chillybean

Nails, huh, got to find me a stump.

Oh man, that link is great. Thanks. I watched a vidoe of Swallow-tailed Kites. Amazing
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9217109

Nice variety of birds, Hack! Yes, some of the male House Finches can get really bright.

Hack and Chilly - I checked the websites I posted and couldn't find the nesting material so I called them. I spoke to a really friendly lady (told me she and her husband were in their 70's) for probably half and hour! We talked all about the birds and animals that visit both of our yards!

Anyway, they don't have it on their website. They call it a "refill" for their nesting material holder. She said it was available at some places I'm not familiar with and also Amazon, but I couldn't find it on Amazon. She was willing to sell me some if I couldn't find it, but I told her it wasn't for me so I didn't ask what shipping would cost and wasn't sure if it was even the same size that I've been buying.

Chilly, there are several Blain's Farm & Fleet stores in Iowa. I don't know if any of them are near you...Cedar Falls, Clinton, Davenport & Muscatine. I also don't know if all the stores carry the same items, but I suppose it's worth a try if they're close.

I always try to have oranges or grape jelly when I'm expecting the Orioles, but I do hear them first. Even after they've been here for a while, they always "chatter" for a bit before they come to where the food is. Sometimes they chatter on and off while they're eating! I've always considered them to be really "talkative" birds.

Besides the "chattering" or "rattling" sound they also have a very pretty chirping song that is extremely pleasant to listen to.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 5:10 PM

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9217388

I noticed that, nutsaboutnature. I couldn't find it on their site earlier. You really went all out to find out about the fluff. Sadly, none of those towns are near us, nor when we visit the Iowa City area. They sound like friendly people, so maybe I can call and they could ship us some. I'd probably talk their ears off about birds. Some of my poor friends...

I forgot about that, after the Orioles arrived, they would "chatter" a bit before coming down to the oranges. It was like they were singing for their supper.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9217911

Chillybean - My only concern about directly ordering was when she looked at her catalog she said the bag looked small, but that it was hard to tell from the picture. I don't know if they have more than one size.

The ones I've bought are only about 9 X 9-inches, but thick like a pillow. It doesn't sound that large until you start using it. It really spreads out in the suet cage so I use very little at a time.

Chilly & Hack - If Farm & Fleet wasn't so far from me I'd offer to pick some up and mail it to you if they still have any left, but it's bit of a drive. My husband and I were just there a few days ago to stock up on some seed and stuff so we may not go back for a month or more. With so many people seeming to have interest in it, though, I'll try to remember to check next time as it's in a sealed bag that stores well from year-to-year.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012

Post #9217917

Cute photos everyone. Chilly congrats on your lifer.

Here's a brown-headed cowbird, a female house finch, a juv scrub jay, a full house of orioles at the feeder and a Calif. thrasher.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9218063

Love all the photos, duc!
I think the House Finches always have a cute expression like they're "curious". Those Orioles are amazing. I like the way you removed the flowers from the Hummingbird feeder. I think it might work better than the Oriole feeder I have...most of them don't like to use it so I always go back to oranges & grape jelly.

I just accidently posted these two pics in one of the Wildlife threads but I'll post them again here. I find these guys hard to catch. They're extremely friendly, but they hardly ever sit still. These didn't come out that good, but I decided they were cute enough to post.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9218465

nutsaboutnature wrote:
Chilly & Hack - If Farm & Fleet wasn't so far from me I'd offer to pick some up and mail it to you if they still have any left, but it's bit of a drive. My husband and I were just there a few days ago to stock up on some seed and stuff so we may not go back for a month or more. With so many people seeming to have interest in it, though, I'll try to remember to check next time as it's in a sealed bag that stores well from year-to-year.

Thanks nutsaboutnature, if you do get back to the store, I'd be happy to re-imburse you - do you have a PayPal email account to receive money?

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012

Post #9219235

Yes, I have do a Paypal account. We don't plan to go out there for a while, though. I can check if they still have any in stock the next time we make a trip.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9219907

You can buy that nesting material straight from Farm and Fleet too.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/565212-bird_nester_refill.html#.UBH2d82IXZg
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9219980

Thanks Mrs_Ed!

I found that link yesterday by using the item number from an old receipt, but the package looked different (& possibly smaller ?) than what I've bought in the past so I wasn't sure if it was exactly the same item. Just out of curiosity I called the toll-free website phone to find out shipping costs to Iowa or Georgia, but the lady I spoke to said they don't do International shipping (HUH??)...sooo I left it at that.

Anyway, it's probably the same stuff (or similar) so Chillybean and Hack, if either of you want to try ordering directly from Farm & Fleet, the price that's posted (before shipping) is the same price that the store charges. When I put in my own zip code plus a couple from other states, the shipping showed $4.95. The shipping remained the same when I put 2 in the cart. I didn't check more than 2 so I don't know how many you could buy for the same shipping.

Marna, I forgot that you probably also have a Farm & Fleet near you. I love that store!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9220176

LOL. international. oy.

Yes, I have a FF here, about 5 miles or so. DEfinitely the best place for bird stuff, but lots of other good stuff.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9220438

Thanks, nutsaboutnature. Isn't the time to put out nesting material the in the spring? - But, I'm still gonna' order some.

Hack

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9220474

Thank you so much for finding all that out. I am thinking of ordering some now and fill up some net bags, maybe for gifts or something. Oh... I laughed... international??

1. Well, our little invisible noisemaker finally made an appearance- Northern Bobwhite
2. The nearby creek is drying up, but still has some bird activity-Killdeer
3. Orchard Oriole siblings.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9220477

You can thank Mrs_Ed for bothering to post the link to their website.

Hack, it depends on what kind of birds you have around. Most birds use it in the Spring, but Goldfinches are starting to nest now and will continue for a while. Also the lady I spoke with from Heritage Farms, had a good idea. She said she keeps some out all year that she puts where the Squirrels can get to it. She said she's seen them pulling it out to add to their nests.

Again, I can't guarantee it's exactly the same as what I have, but the website price is still much better than I've seen for similar products in other places, even with shipping.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9220498

Neat pics Chillybean! What's so amazing about Killdeer is even though they love water, I sometimes see them in fields with no water, although they usually don't have to fly far around here to find the river or lakes.

Here are a couple of pics of one of my unopened packages of nesting fluff. It may help you to compare what you get for future reference. the Date is just something I wrote. I tend to date everything that's consumable.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012

Post #9220532

I just ordered 4 bags, plus the so-cute-they-suckered-me-into-buying, garden stake mesh bird feeders. I got one of each, the sunflower and cattail. They will make a home in the front yard this fall and winter. We'll see if they are busy when Project Feeder Watch starts. Our most active feeders are usually the homemade ones.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9220564

Congrats, Chillybean! Oh, I've seen those garden stakes in their store & have thought about getting them many times. They're adorable! I think I'll have to spring for them one of these days, particularly since we have so many birds that love our other mesh feeders.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9221036

I went to Amazon and got me the Heritage Farms nesting material holder and a bag of refill, too.

I also picked up an hour-glass shaped Sunflower Seed Feeder. I hope it holdes more seed than my current feeders.

Also, how do you all store your seed, in order to keep it fresh and unmoldy. I found that in my wild bird seed there were tiny insects crawling around. I put it out anyway and the birds didn't seem to mind. I may be buying too much at a time.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9221050

`I'm gonna get me a couple of Behrens 10-Gallon locking lid cans for my bird seed. According to the Internet Tractor Supply (we have one here) has them.

Hack

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9221191

Good Morning, Hack.

We use Rubbermaid containers and ice cream buckets. Because the nuts were most prone to little crawlies, we have those in the ice cream buckets, and put in the freezer. At this time we have the space in the deep freeze, so it's not a biggie, but if we ever get a lot of meat-I'll have to rethink this.

Nutsaboutnature, I forgot to mention this... When I ordered, all of it went into the $4.95 shipping. I think the limit is ten pounds and my items fell under that.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9221215

I was out sitting right next to my bird bath when this robin, a female I think, hopped out of the bushes and jumped up to the bath - with me sitting RIGHT THERE in my wheelchair - acted as if it were not scared at all. I got closer, and closer, and it let me. Here are a few of the many pics I took of it. It finally hopped down and went back into the bushes. It came out several more times. Do robins nest on the ground?

Hack

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9221230

Hack,

I heard this summer from someone who said they found a Robin's nest on the ground, but I think that is unusual. Our Robins often go under our lilac bush, but they don't nest there. I think they just hang out there. I know they will pop out when we throw berries on the ground near there.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9221253

Ok, I know this is a long post, but lots to write.

Hack, I think you'll like that nesting material holder. I've seen them at FF and they're pretty large. I've considered buying one, but like that I can hang the suet feeder anywhere. The nice thing about that holder is you can put it on a tree and it's large enough that more birds might use it, so eventually I might try one.

That large mesh feeder sounds nice. I have a huge round one that I bought several years ago before going out of town. The deer don't bother the mesh feeders, but they'll empty the others so it's nice, but it takes a lot of sunflower seed to fill it so I rarely fill it all the way. It has an attached tray and small rain cover. Sometimes all I do is fill the tray.

I buy 50lb bags of most seed and corn. Because I go through it quickly enough, I leave it in the bags and use those black metal document clips to close them. I've only had a problem with bugs once and that was in some whole corn that I believe already had the bugs when we bought the bag. I generally keep the bags in the garage, but in the Summer, my husband brings most of them down to the basement where it's cooler.

Depending on the size of your bags, you might try some food storage containers that you can buy at places like Wal-mart or Target. I've also kept seed in 5-gallon containers with lids that you can buy at home improvement stores (Menards, Home Depot, Lowes) (sometimes they're in the paint dept or with mops & brooms). They'd be much, much cheaper than the ones you're considering and they work well. You should also buy the paint can opener specifically designed for 5-gal plastic cans otherwise they're hard to open. Fresh nuts, though, should probably be kept in the fridge or freezer unless you really go through them quickly.

Wow...that Robin must have thought you were just a large Robin coming to the bird bath...Cool! The Robins in my yard generally nest in small trees and some shrubs. They build very nice nests and take great care in building them.

Chillybean, that's super that you got all that stuff for the $4.95 shipping cost. Definitely worth it! I'll have remember that for the future in case the store is out of something that the website has.

Lastly, for any of you that might want to try the nesting holder, they also have it on FF website. Here is the link.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/565211-bird_nester_wire.html

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 28, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9221454

robins nest in shrubs or trees., but they explore the ground a lot. Very friendly birds as a rule.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9221715

nutsaboutnature, Now why didn't we ever think of using the paint can opener, like you mentioned?! We store flour and oats in those things and the battles we've had!! One determined child had oats all over the place one morning.

First picture is from Thursday, a Bobolink. This probably belongs on the Appalling Photos thread, but I was thrilled to see these birds after we thought they left. What age or gender I have no clue since the males molt out of their breeding attire.

We are still amazingly blessed with the Red-headed Woodpeckers. They started coming a week ago and have not left. They cleaned us out of the nuts in the platform today and are storing them in the power poles nearby. For the most part, it seems our visiting Red-headeds are getting along. We've seen three at once. Is that normal behaviour? In the winter, the Red-bellieds never liked any others of their kind. I sure wish I could tell them, "There's enough for all, so stop your fighting!" This photo is a youngster.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9221981

nutsaboutnature. Today I went to Tractor Supply and picked up two 20-gallon cans with lids. This should go a long way toward sealing my seeds from insects. I had been using those plastic containers that Lowe's sells in their storage area. They do not seal air-tight.

irisMA, that's what I was thinking - robins nest in shrubs or trees. They do tolerate my presence nicely.

Wow, Chillybean, a Red-headed Woodpecker, now that is just plain neat. Thanks for sharing.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9221999

Nailed me a Jay bird a few days ago. Just got around to working it up the DG.

Hack

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9222000

Chillybean, I was going to take a picture of one of our 5-gallon can openers, but instead decided to post a link from Home Depot just so you could see what they look like and what they're called. They are available at pretty much any home improvement store. They're made out of hard plastic or ABS and work quite well.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar2d/Ntt-5%20gallon%20bucket%20opener/searchNav-true/h_d2/Navigation?keyword=5 gallon bucket opener&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Paint&omni=Paint&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#/?c=1&rpp=96

That's so cool about the Red-headed Woodpeckers and Bobolinks! We get Red-headed two or three times a year, but they don't usually stay, probably because we have so many other woodpeckers and the Red-Bellied, in particular, tend to be very territorial. We have Red-bellied, Downy and Hairy year 'round. In the winter we will sometimes see a few extra ones. I've read that they'll sometimes tolerate others in their territory during the Winter, but come Spring they want them to leave and make it very clear!

Wow, Hack, those 20-gallon cans should hold a lot! That's great. We also have a Tractor Supply not far from us.
Beautiful Blue Jay!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2012 10:28 PM

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9222037

nuts, the 20-gal ones only cost a couple bucks more than the 10-gal ones - no reason not to size up. I'll transfer my seed over tomorrow.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9222308

Hi, all, I have some pics to share:

1 - My bird bath is the place to be these days. Here's a Blue Jay getting a sip of water.

2 - I still have bunches of Cardinals. Here's a male getting some sunflower seed.

3 - This Carolina Chickadee is waiting its turn at the feeder.

Hack

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9222316

Nice pics, Hack! That's a mighty handsome Blue Jay. Do your Cardinals leave after a while? It's interesting, cause in our area they're here all the time...all four seasons.

With the heat we've been having, everybody uses our bird baths. The Squirrels and Deer also use them year 'round. During the Summer I also add a couple of large flower pot trays (the red clay ones) way in the back of the yard. They get heavy use as well and many of the ground-feeding birds love them.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9222513

Seems as if all our Baltimore Orioles have left...where did the summer go?????

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9222597

nanny, Interesting that you mentioned the Orioles. Our last sighting of any Oriole was Friday, but we were gone half the day yesterday and much of this morning. Well, for us to see the Orioles this long is truly amazing. Last year all we got was two weeks out of them.

Thank you for the link to the opener, nutsaboutnature. I'll show that to my husband when he awakes from his nap.

Hack, cute little chickadee. We still don't have them... well, the Black-capped... But they're closer. They were seen at the creek this spring. People do not understand how we can be feeding all these woodpeckers, and not have a single chickadee. I sure don't know the answer to that.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9222674

Nanny and Chillybean - Our Orioles are gone now, too. I really enjoyed having them around for so long this year. Nanny, you asked where the Summer went...ours is definitely still here and it's been much too hot for my liking.

Started seeing female Hummers again although we haven't had very many..male or female..this year. I hope the traffic picks up once they start migrating down from Canada.

The Goldfinches have been very active lately and we're seeing more and more of them every day. They're eating, gathering nesting material and singing (constantly). We have them all year (Winter, too), but some years we have more than others. Now that most of the Red-winged and other Blackbirds have left, the Goldfinches are more comfortable.

Your Welcome, Chillybean. Again, you can pick one of those up in any home improvement store. The link was more for reference.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9222726

1) Some kind of Gull (possibly a Ring-billed??)

2)) female House Finch with a beak full of sunflower seed.

3) Mourning Dove in one of my WBU Dinner Bell feeders.

4) Same Mourning Dove typically throwing seed all around while eating.

Edited to (maybe) identify Gull.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 11:14 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 30, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9223431

Very nice pics everyone!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9223455

Well, I got side-tracked and way behind so I'll just say I enjoyed everyone's photos.

Like some of you, all but six of my orioles left two days ago and I expect these younger ones will soon be gone too. Here's some of my pics of the last ones...

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9223542

Love the pics, Duc! What type of plant is that in the 1st and 3rd photo?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9223593

nutsaboutnature wrote:1) Some kind of Gull (possibly a Ring-billed??)

Yep, Ring-billed Gull.

Resin

PS someone want to start Vol. 443?

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9223812

Resin wrote:

PS someone want to start Vol. 443?

Since I am on the site now, I can, if no one's done it yet.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9223821

OK, I have the new thread started, so please come on over. Thank you for all the great pictures and fun discussion.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273320/
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 11, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9238132

This was a lucky shot. And this was too. The first one he has his tongue sticking out.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9238429

Very cute pics, teddy_8905!

There's a newer thread, now, that we've all moved to (click on the link in Chillybean's post, just before yours). Be sure and check it out for lots more great pics and conversation.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America