Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Anyone on the LOW DOWN about Scarlet Runner Beans

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9206229

Okay I am reading they are poison with every third individual saying they are eating them What's with? ,anyone willing to run the low down about them for me?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9206266

It's both. You can eat the young leaves and the starchy roots. The bean pods contain the toxin phytohaemagglutinin in small amounts (as do many beans).

You can eat the young ones raw if you don't eat too many, although growing them this year I never did see a young pod (no beans). They form fruit FAST.

Otherwise you can eat them if you cook them thoroughly, which removes the toxin. (Or breaks it down, I'm not sure which.) You don't want to eat the raw ones, though.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9207037

juhur7 - the only bean we grew when I was child was "Scarlet Runner". The cool English summers were perfect for growing them. We always ate them cooked. They will not set beans in real hot weather.

(I was born and raised in Penzance, Cornwall, England. Here's a photo of my home town.)

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9207059

Nice !! is that the Thames or the coast? The only time I had seen any of England was a delayed flight at London Airport.
My hometown is here in the States ,about 5,000 people when I was born,remember when towns were like that? I didn't live there long,my parents were Business socials at the time.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9207096

juhur7 - as you look at a map of the British Isles - Penzance is ten miles from Land's End - the extreme south west of England - about 300 miles from London.

The photo is of Penzance harbor on the South Cornish Coast.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9207210

I thought that looked like the coast , I lived near the bay in Maryland for a while . That old Medieval Cathedral in the photo makes that interesting,a town with a lot of history! That is a beautiful little coastal village! Reminds me of jigsaw puzzles, and paintings from the early art masters of the era.(pretty as a picture really describes your hometown photo)!!!
I am so light of mind it brings to mind game hens and a pirate musical.( I hope you aren't offended by that) I imagine your hometown began in history as a fishing and then a goods and shipping port.
Mine was Carbondale Illinois, where Southern Illinois University is,I don't tend to think of it as my Hometown because I never lived there as to memory.It began in history as an outpost for army then continued as supply station or trading post ,then the industrialist and artisans as the Holden family built the town from then.(19th century).
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9207828

Terrible pirate problem in Penzance though. :)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9208579

Yes, the pirates of Penzance are not a myth. LOL

Some of the old taverns, including this one called "The Admiral Benbow" have tunnels leading down to the beach, where pirates of old brought up their booty!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186240-d188516-Reviews-Admiral_Benbow_Inn-Penzance_Cornwall_England.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America