Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

July Blooms

Baton Rouge, LA

Dwarf Deciduous White, Dwarf Singapore Pink, Confetti, Jeanne Moragne, Divine.

Thumbnail by Jag1224 Thumbnail by Jag1224 Thumbnail by Jag1224 Thumbnail by Jag1224 Thumbnail by Jag1224
Baton Rouge, LA

Stenopetala, Pua Kahea, Scott Pratt, Tiki Pink, Indonesian Rainbow

Thumbnail by Jag1224 Thumbnail by Jag1224 Thumbnail by Jag1224 Thumbnail by Jag1224 Thumbnail by Jag1224
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Jag, I would love to hear your opinion of Scott pratt. I have one, I think, that just refuses to be a tree, but it is my earliest, most reliable bloomer.
Carol

Baton Rouge, LA

I grow my plumerias in pots. Scott Pratt has been a slow grower for me. It is not as vigorous a grower as some other plants I have.

Personally, I like the fact that it is a slow grower since I have to move my plants into a greenhouse for the winter. When my plants get to big, I have to prune them in order to store them for the winter. My plant is at least four years old and is only about seven feet tall.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Mine is in a large pot also. It just wants to crawl rather than grow up. I had read, I think in Plant files, that it tends to do that. If I can ever get a straight enough branch, I'm going to start over and try to train it upright.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

jag - you have some gorgeous blooms there!!!

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Jag, what lovely plumerias. I have only one branch with white flowers which is about 3 1/2 to 4 foot tall. I have been afraid to cut it for propagation, but would love to have more. Do you propagate your at a certain time of the year? Is there anything special I should do?

Mulberry, FL

Nice collection you have there they all look happy too!

Baton Rouge, LA

"Jag, what lovely plumerias. I have only one branch with white flowers which is about 3 1/2 to 4 foot tall. I have been afraid to cut it for propagation, but would love to have more. Do you propagate your at a certain time of the year? Is there anything special I should do?"

When I am taking a cutting from an existing plant that I value, I like to propagate it by air-layering. I haven't lost a cutting from air-layering.

I would wait and do it in the spring. The nice thing about air layering is that you will not have to cut the leaves off and when it roots, you just sever it from the plant and plant it with a minimum disruption in its growth.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Jag - will the plant still flower the year you air layer and sever (sounds terrible :-)) )

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Jag. I'll have to give it a try.

Baton Rouge, LA

It will if it is its time to flower. There is less interruption in the severed parts growth when you air-layer.

It is not so terrible. In this case you cut it after it has rooted instead of cutting it first and then rooting it.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Mine is putting out buds right now. Please share your techniques for air layering with us. How long does it take. I am very anxious, but will settle for repotting now instead.

Baton Rouge, LA

Quote from plantsforpeg :
Mine is putting out buds right now. Please share your techniques for air layering with us. How long does it take. I am very anxious, but will settle for repotting now instead.

1. Cut away two or three inches of the cambium layer. I use a vegetable peeler.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/josegabriele/100_1521.jpg

2. I use Glad Press 'n Seal to make a bag starting at the bottom of the cut. Crinkle it up at the bottom and tape it to secure it at the bottom. Seal the two sides to complete the bag. You might have to fold over the edges to seal it.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/josegabriele/100_1522.jpg

3. Fill the bag with damp potting soil and compress the Press 'n Seal to let out as much air as possible. Tape the top part. I take another sheet of Press 'n Seal and wrap the top and bottom again and tape the top and bottom. You do not want additional moisture to get in the bag.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/josegabriele/100_1523.jpg

4. It will take about six to eight weeks for roots to develop. When you see the roots, cut the branch off, remove the Press 'n Seal, and pot it being careful not to break the roots.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/josegabriele/100_1525.jpg

This is the final product.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/josegabriele/100_1540.jpg

I hope this helps to explain the process. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Joe, thank you for taken the time to share that layering process. That's one of the most comprehensive step by step instruction I've seen. Many plumera's lovers (I myself included) will benefit from that information you've generously shared.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you so much for sharing your technique. That's the beauty of this website. We all work towards the same goal......sharing ideas, experimenting, and most of all enjoy gardening.

I am a visual person. The pictures make all the difference for me.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 8:03 AM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Joe - that was soooo helpful. Thank you. Should we wait for spring to do this? We put our Plumerias in the garage for winter....no water....and bring them out in the spring with a big drink and they have been happy. But they are so tall we cannot enjoy the flowers as much. We half bury the pot so our wind doesn't blow them over and I still can't see some flowers....grrrrrr. Thus, the air layering sounds wonderful. So when is the best time to do that?

1 - early spring, pots half buried
2 - yellow/white ones go crazy with flowers
3 - pinks finally come in July

Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

My one and only Plumeria that I am proud of.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg Thumbnail by plantsforpeg
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I'd like to add my thanks too very nice pictorial tutorial. Well done!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Joe did a fine job indeed! Thanks again Joe. pfp, my white plummie bloomed too. Guess our climate is similar. :) The pink one is "Dwarf Pink Singapore" I think.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.