Photo by Melody

Article: Big Beautiful Butterfly Bushes: A Treat for You and the Critters: Best Buddleja for the Deep South

Communities > Forums > Article: Big Beautiful Butterfly Bushes: A Treat for You and the Critters
bookmark
Forum: Article: Big Beautiful Butterfly Bushes: A Treat for You and the CrittersReplies: 0, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KanapahaLEW
Alachua, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9206851

The species Buddleja lindleyana (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57955/#b) survives and prospers in Gainesville FL/z9a and is very attractive to butterflies, bees and hummingbirds. It is very drought tolerant and seems to require no fertilizer. It is colonial and will spread out from the original, with suckers showing up as much as a foot or two away, but they can be dug out if you want to control the spread. However, it doesn't appear to seed about.

I have had no luck with any of the B. davidii cultivars as they all eventually die of spider mite infestation due to drought intolerance.

B. x Weyeriana and B. indica also work and slowly develop into large clumps.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Big Beautiful Butterfly Bushes: A Treat for You and the Critters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
One of my very favorites! Igrowinpa 6 Aug 28, 2010 5:04 AM
4 or 5 feet all I want! Liquidambar2 7 Aug 30, 2010 10:16 AM
Hard to kill awmcneal 1 Jul 12, 2012 6:17 PM
Top Butterfly magnet tabasco 0 Aug 30, 2010 8:10 AM
Buddleia omasuziq 0 Aug 30, 2010 9:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America