-
AuthorContent
Bmock
Jasper, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9207062

I have just joined Dave's Garden. This anthurium clarinervium is my favorite plant. I have had it growing for over 30 years! It is easy to grow as a houseplant. I would like to add some more aroids into my collection. I need some smaller varieties, since I am growing inside my home. Any suggestions for some interesting and easy plants that I could try? I have been reading lots of posts here and I am collecting some ideas. What a wealth of information!

Thumbnail by Bmock
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 16, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9207914

I have one that appears identical to that, but the leaves are larger, and it doesn't have that many leaves at the one time. Usually a maximum of about 4 leaves. Flowers regularly but never produces seed.
Bmock
Jasper, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9208616

There are quite a few similar plants. At one time I had a crystallinum that was more what you are describing. The clarinervium holds onto it's leaves for a long time. Every once in a while I cut it up to start more plants. I think there are three plants in the pot. That really gives it a fuller look.

gumlla

gumlla
Mirpur (A.K)
Pakistan
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9217673

Two years back, one of my friend from DG sent me this plant, but died in first year because of cold weather. I didn't shift it inside.
Your plant looks happy and healthy.

Kaleem

RachelLF

RachelLF

July 26, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9219961

Bmock, I can try and suggest some other Aroids for you to grow in your home environment but do you have a preferance on the Genus?
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

July 27, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9220768

I grow A. clarinervium too - love the leaves - there's nothing like it. You have a gorgeous specimen there Bmock.

If you like that one, you would probably would like Philodendron gloriosum
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92023/
It's another traffic-stopper, but a but more fussy than your clarinervium.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2012 7:12 AM
Bmock
Jasper, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9222450

Kaleem, I'm sorry you lost your plant. Any chance of getting another?

Rachel, Hi, I would love to hear your suggestions. I was researching one called Rhaphidophora tetrasperma, have you ever seen it? Also, I thought about a philo Xanadu. Any ideas are welcome.

Hi Vestia, Thanks, I really love this plant. Every once in a while, I cut one up and start some new ones. It takes forever to get one growing. Thanks for the suggestion on the gloriosum.

gumlla

gumlla
Mirpur (A.K)
Pakistan
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9223184

Armando

DG ID
giancarlo
Miami, FL

A DG friend sent me this plant three years ago, but Armando (DG Friend) was died two years ago. God bless him.
There is no other source for me to have/buy this plant again.
I wish you all may grow this plant successfully.

Kaleem
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 30, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9223232

I've got Rhaphidophora tetrasperma (Rachel had, and probably still has one). Have a look at the photos in this link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268555/

It's in the first two photos in my 4th post down. I called it by a common name "Little Monster".
Bmock
Jasper, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9224298

Hi Tropicbreeze,

I loved all your photos. You have a real jungle going there. Your Rhaphidophora tetrasperma is a very cool looking plant. I wonder if it would be okay as a houseplant. Might need to be cut back once in a while.

RachelLF

RachelLF

July 30, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9224307

Tropicbreeze is right, I do grow Rhaph. tetrasperma and Philo. xanadu and I can vouch for them both as being easy to grow in a house environment. I can also suggest you may want to try Philo. martianum, Philo. grazielae , Philo. crassinervium and some of the self heading hybrids such as black cardinal, moonlight, prince of orange and that is only to name a few that will not out grow a room in your house anytime soon. If you are interested in growing something else in the Aroid family, please feel free to ask. These photos are of a few more I grow as well.

Thumbnail by RachelLF   Thumbnail by RachelLF   Thumbnail by RachelLF   Thumbnail by RachelLF
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bmock
Jasper, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9225800

Hi Rachel,

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I will check them out and see if I can find a few. Nice photos!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America