Photo by Melody

Trash to Treasure: A cazillion Clay Pots.

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 20, Views: 521
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9207105

Can anyone tell me what the heck to do with alllllllllllllllll these tiny clay pots?

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9207112

http://naturegirl1966.wordpress.com/2011/10/29/clay-pot-toy-soldiers/
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9207201

Thank you!
Mtnma
Ellenboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9208129

You could probably make some unique rain chains.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9208376

Oh... such fun!!!

There's a thread within this forum for making wind chimes out of clay pots.

You could also consider using them as a border for one of your gardens. There's another thread on here where someone had terra cotta border for their garden that they mozaic'd ..you could do that to those too.

You could use them for Christmas (or any holiday) gifts...clean them up, paint them, fill them with candy (or some other treat), wrap with celophane and a pretty ribbon.

I once painted a bunch and gifted them as candle holders (put a candle in each); but if you do that make sure to seal the hole in the bottom or the wax may seep out when the candle burns! (I used that putty used to cover nail holes before you paint)

Have fun!
Decolores
Hillsborough, NC

July 17, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9208406

You could make a little "pot person"...

Thumbnail by Decolores
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9208638

Thank you all for your great ideas. Decolores, I really like your pot person, and Chrissy, I'm wishing you were here with me for all the fun you've got me thinking about!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9208681

The pot people are pretty cool. You can even make their little pets too.

You can also make a "tower of pots", like the one I made below. You can plant tiny succulents in them and even add larger pots and decorative pots to make the tower unique. I stuck a piece of rebar thru the holes in the pots and stuck it in the ground to stabilize the tower. Then you just turn and shift the pots whichever way you want them for your effect.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click an image for an enlarged view.

denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9209103

I stumbled upon this link on Michael's craft store and thought of this thread - cute ideas!

http://www.michaels.com/Clay-Pot-Crafting/projects-generalcrafts-claypotcrafting,default,sc.html
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9209196

denise thanks for the link. Like what I see.
gregbaker
Newark, NJ

July 18, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9209993

Decorate them and give them as gifts. You can make "pottery people" out of those around the holidays and dress them up.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 18, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9210221

I don't have too many small pots, but sure like the idea of painting them just for decoration. I have a 6 inch pot I picked up at a thrift store that is painted black with a beautiful apple painted on it (my kitchen has all apples). I hate to plant anything in it as it is so pretty. A painter I'm NOT, but always can give it a try.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9210406

I'm not a painter either...but here's an idea...look in the kids craft isle at your local craft store for those spongy stamps, you can paint the pot a solid color then sponge on a pattern! Stencils are fun too but I tend to use too much paint and mess them up :-) I'm always scouting the clearance rack at Michaels and Hobby lobby for stuff to help me decorate/paint items :-)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9212779

Thanks Chrissy, I love that idea and will get the small children (grades 1-3) at church involved.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 21, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9213568

I better check out my cabinets and drawers to see what I have. I do think I have some sponge stamps, now's the time to use them.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9215886

http://leslieslatestcreations.blogspot.com/2010/10/clay-pot-halloween-characters.html
Halloween characters...

A bird bath...
http://gooseberrypatch.typepad.com/blog/2010/04/celebrate-earth-day.html

snowmen...
http://www.craftown.com/Terra-Cotta-Pot-Snowmen.html

http://www.alleventsadviser.com/plan/crafts/snowmen-flower-pot-crafts/

or an angel or a scarecrow like I made..
Or a plant stand like mine...

Lots of ideas!

Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55
Click an image for an enlarged view.

biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 27, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9256215

[quote="dahtzu"]Can anyone tell me what the heck to do with alllllllllllllllll these tiny clay pots?[/quote]

You probably have your answer - but there is a multitude of things - they can be stacked, glued and mosaiced into all things. There is a woman makes mosaic ladies and gents out of clay pots - this would be a smaller version I guess. Also strung on wire in the shape of a scarecrow! Just about anything your mind can come up with - what a treasure!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9267483

Love the clay pot people. I do have a few but someone painted them with all Christmas motifs but they could be painted over.
I like the idea of faces painted on them then string of pearls plants for hair. Never done anything like them but sure wouldl ike to try.
You people are so inspirational. Thanks
Bonnie
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
3:02 AM

Post #9267702

Thank you all, I will do something with them when it gets cooler.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 11, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9271864

Well, my first thought was pot people, then I thought of painting them and filling each with something for gifts, but others have said that. So how about these ideas -

1. Paint them in solid colors or with design and make desk organizers? You could have one for paper clips, one for pens and pencils, one for Sharpies and highlighters...etc. What would be real cute is if each were painted a solid color like sky blue, then throw a couple leaves and a stem on in green and an easy to do daisy type flower in different colors - one yellow, one orange, etc all bright and cheerful. If you have enough they would then be cute all set in a small size plant tray from a 1/4 to 1/2 flat (which could also hold your stapler and some larger items.) I have even bought then with handles too making it easy to move and clean around.

2. Turn it upside down and take a Dremel tool to carve a door. Seal it so it won't allow moisture to interfere with the paint, then paint windows on the pot. If you're like me there would be all kinds of other detail too like flower boxes under the windows and curtains in them, a climbing vine, some roses, a hedge whatever around the bottom - but that's not necessary - just me liking detail. Anyway, then take a pot saucer or an odd cup saucer picked up from one of our " treasure stores" and turn it upside down, glue it onto the small end of the pot, making your roof. Leave as is, or use the correct paint depending on what you use and paint shingles on it. Or you could glue straw onto it, or use moss - Viola! You have a fairy house, or frog house for your garden. Oh and because the pots are small you won't be making snake houses. ^_^

Debbie
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9271881

Love it lovetopaint Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America