Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: confused about harvesting dried beans

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
indianabanana
Madison, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9207310

I've always seen two pieces of advice about harvesting dried beans (in my case, black turtle beans):

1. Harvest often, to encourage the plant to produce more.
2. Let the bean pods dry on the vine before you pick them.

Both of these things make a lot of sense. #1 was certainly true with my pea vines this year. But last year, when I grew beans for the first time, I noticed that it took so long for the beans to dry on the vine that I couldn't harvest very many times before the season was over. I didn't get many beans.

How do you successfully combine these two principles?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9207471

Good question! I've wondered the same as I am waiting on some limas.

Those two statements are conflicting. I would suspect the way to do it would be to leave a few plants to go to seed and harvest the rest of the beans to eat. At least that is what I am inclined to do... Kristi
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9207485

Black Turtle is normally used as a dried bean. These you let dry on the vine, usually a once over harvest. Harvest often is used primarily for snap beans, where the tender pod is used before beans form. While Black Turtle as with with most beans can be used as snaps, quality is not good for that purpose. Even as a green shellie, harvest often does not work well.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9208621

I've grown "Black Turtle Beans" and left them to dry on the vine. Just follow what Farmerdill said - that's the way I did it, too.

Personally, I've decided to purchase organic black turtle beans in the supermarket - much less work. LOL
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9251878

We leave our black turtle beans on the vines till dry, then pick them all at once. Only problem we've had - some mature and dry faster than others. Right now we have a second 'volunteer' crop of them growing, from those that exploded before we harvested the crop.. lol We look at it as a win win problem!!
dervish2
White Plains, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9254069

Does the same 'leave to dry on the vine' apply to scarlet runner beans? My plants are finally forming beans after flowering for months.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9254100

If you want dry beans , yes.
greenstubbs
Vacaville, CA

September 2, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9262411

Being a Bean subject, I only do green beans "Ky.&Blue lakes. What I've done is just harvest throught the season as they ripen, or till your sick of or have any more room for them. Then towards the end of the season i'll just let whats left go and dry on the vine as the plant starts to die down, harvest those when dry and brown. Good Luck

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America