Photo by Melody

Brugmansias: First summer with a balcony ;)

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 3, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sl0
Aalborg
Denmark

July 16, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9207837

got this one from the local plant center, all it had was a "brugmensia" label so i can't help u with what i got here. I'm also a very new brug owner, first two pic's are straight in new pot the very first day it got home, last two are 3 weeks later, seems like it's doing ok ;)
Any advices, hints will be more than welcome, i'm very new at this. I make my living as a live sound engineer, so this is as far from my everyday life/skills as i can get...
_sl0

Thumbnail by sl0   Thumbnail by sl0   Thumbnail by sl0   Thumbnail by sl0
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
12:34 AM

Post #9208283

Usually, I wouldn't even try to guess which Brugmansia it is if it doesn't come with a cultivar label because there are so many look alike out in the market now-a-days, but B. arborea is a fairly distinctive species. That calx with the long lobe that covers a good portion of the flower tube and those fuzzy leaves belong to the species arborea. It is also self-pollinating and has the sweetest and most powerful fragrance of all the Brugs. If you are lucky to get some seed pods to set, the pods should be round or slightly egg shaped as in the pod shown in this link:
http://ibrugs.com/Resources/HybridizingBrugmansia/BrugmansiaAnatomy.aspx

If you have some spare time, look through some of the old threads and some of the tagged threads for more information. There is an excellent book by Preissel and Preissel called Brugmansia and Datura: Angel's Trumpets and Thorn Apples The book is available in English and German. Brugs need moist but quick draining potting mix. You can add perlite, using 3 parts potting mix to 1 part perlite, to the potting mix to improve drainage. They grow quickly so need to be fertilized with a complete fertilizer that also contains all the micro-nutrients at least once, maybe twice a week. Ideally, using a fertilizer that has a ration of 3N - 1P - 2K. Don't use fertilizers high in phosphates to try to improve blooming because the large older leaves will turn yellow and drop off. Given your latitude, you might be able to give your Brug full day sun, but if the plant starts to show signs of stress or wilting, protect it from late afternoon sun. Brugs are fast growing, get massive root systems and may need potting up to a larger pot once or twice a growing season. While B. arboreas can take temperatures a bit colder than other species or hybrids, they will freeze and will need to be overwintered indoors or in a greenhouse.

You'll come across references to the importance of the first "Y" as you read many of the threads. Brugs grown from seed, cuttings taken from below the "Y" and shoots that emerge from the ground exhibit two different growth cycles: vegetative and flowering. Vegetative growth is characterized by a single, unbranched and very straight stalk. Height varies by species and in hybrids by cultivar and can range in height from a few feet to well over 10' before the plant switches from vegetative growth to flowering growth. When that happens, the single stalk will split into two branches (some hybrids produce 3). The split branch looks like the letter Y. Thus the use of the term "Y" to refer to that transition. You can't force the switch by pinching the growing tip. That just restarts the vegetative cycle over again in the few shoots that pop up. Flowering growth is characterized by slight zigzag branching and asymmetrical leaf/petiole attachment at the mid-vein. Flowering growth continues when the "Y'ed branch splits again, forms flower buds then "Y"s again, etc.

Yours is already blooming, but as the root system matures, it will send up vegetative shoots from below ground. You can leave these and have a bushier looking plant or wait until they mature and start new plants by cutting them at ground level.

I hope this gets you started. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

sl0
Aalborg
Denmark

July 17, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9208707

Thanks a lot, i am slowly progressing through the old posts, very informal reading.
From what i read fom your post, i need to percolite up the soil a bit also have a look into the fertilizing part,as i have the yellowing of the old big leaves.
Regarding the sun i haven't been to worried, this summer in DK has been the most wet and cold i can remember.
thank you again for info, i'm gonna go to the balcony and get a couple of whiffs of the nice fragrance...
_sl0
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9208732

Since Brugs are pollinated mostly at night by moths, the strongest fragrance is during late evening.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America