Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vballz
WALNUT SHADE, MO

July 16, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9207924

We have planted several dusty miller's around several trees. It is curently very dry in Missouri and I water them every other day, if I don't, they get "wilty".

Two of the plants have died recently. It appears that one of the stems and all of the leaves will wilt, then the other 8-10 stems follow, and then the entire plant is dead. I have pulled 2 out of the ground. Now, under a different tree, one of the plants is doing the same thing. One stem and leaves wilted, just like the other 2 plants. I am thinking the plant will die.

I am a beginner, and am not sure what to do. These plants are all about 2 years old. 6-8 hrs sun per day. Right now the weather is 90's plus, but this started occurring with the 1st plant when temps were in the 80's.

Thanks for any input.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9207930

You might be watering too much--symptoms of too much and too little water can be very similar so wilting doesn't necessarily mean they need water. Dusty miller is fairly drought tolerant once established (whch they should be after two years) and can take the heat, so watering every other day could be too much for them unless you have really sandy soil.
vballz
WALNUT SHADE, MO

July 17, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9208805

Thank you for your reply. I pinched the flowers off this morning...and watered-prior to reading your post. Since I have them in different beds, I may experiment with the amount of water each bed gets. Wish me luck!!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9209378

Before you experiment, I'd try the "finger test" before the next time you would normally water. Stick your finger down a few inches in the soil (or use a wood skewer or something that will show moisture) and see how wet it feels a few inches down. Especially if your soil is on the clay side, it can stay pretty wet for a while a few inches down even if the surface looks dry.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America