Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: Zombie Weeds In my Lawn, help please!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 10, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flynorm
Gulf Breeze, FL

July 16, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9207928

Can anyone tell me what kind of weed or plant this is that is taking over my yard AND how to get rid of them without killing my grass? Thank you. Ever since I used Scotts Weed and Feed about 3 months ago these darn things showed up. We never had them before and they have strong roots very hard to pull out! They are Zombies invading my lawn.

Thumbnail by flynorm   Thumbnail by flynorm   Thumbnail by flynorm   Thumbnail by flynorm   Thumbnail by flynorm
Click an image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9208127

My gosh I've never seen so many of them and so big

at first I thought it was crown vetch http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1312/, but the upright ones look like Mimosa tree http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1764/
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9210101

Sesbania?
BrendaVR
Cambridge, ON
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9359546

Maybe Partragepea - Cassia fasciculata? But yours certainly looks invasive and I don't know that Cassia would be (but I have no experience with it).
Seen in other forums/web searches it is said to have those lumpy 'glands' on the lower side of the leaf...but I'm really not convinced...the "glands" on yours looks much different than normal leaf glands. Not figuring it out is driving me bonkers...

Flowers would cinch the ID, did you ever see flowers?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9360041

Phyllanthus urinaria, Chamber bitter...a medicinal weed from the depths of...well, ya get the idea. GRIN Everytime I see one I pull it. But, it produces seeds at an alarming rate multiple times during the growing season. For the flower beds, we pull every one we see and use a pre-emergent to stop the seeds from sprouting. It is spread by wind, animals or people that brush against it, birds...and sheer cussedness. We did not have it in our yard until H. Katrina...now it is everywhere.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/weed-of-the-month/0810-phyllanthus-urinaria.html
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9360595

I agree with moonhowl. The insidious thing about this plant is that it flowers in hiding, on the bottom of the leaves. Those ball things, I don't know if they look like a flower at any point, but those are the seeds. So with most weeds, maybe in your mind you think "I'll pull those before the flowers set seed" but that never visibly happens and an infestation can occur without your knowledge that there even ARE any seeds. Maybe they are spores like ferns. In any case, pulling them immediately, constantly, you can break the cycle. I don't use any chems and can control them. I accidentally brought them here with OM from my Mom's house. They come up easily when the ground is moist. Tomorrow would be a good day to pull them if you are getting the rain we are today, just north of you.
AdamKDigs
Oklahoma City, OK

December 19, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9362373

I have seen these at my relative house and they are a pain to kill once you get a large infestation like that. You really have to simply go out there and pull them. There are some herbicides that work without damaging your turf, but the problem is once they die sometimes they aren't really "dead" because their seeds spread like wildfire and it is also very resistant to herbicides. I am glad I never had to deal with one that bad here in Oklahoma, because they love that hot-dry weather we get. All the information I have found points to using pre-emergent herbicides in multiple applications and keeping the yard free of new plants(youll need to check every 4-7 days)
good luck!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9362491

Here is a pic with P urinaria blooms...such as they are...click to enlarge

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/weed-of-the-month/0810-phyllanthus-urinaria.html

This message was edited Dec 19, 2012 4:54 PM
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9362888

Cute! I love tiny flowers even though I hate this plant. I must be pulling them before they do that. Glad I knew what it was from my Mom's house so I knew to pull them right away. The hardest part about pulling them is getting a day when I both have time and the ground is moist enough for the roots to let go.

Moonhowl, sorry Katrina blessed you in such an unwanted way! Good luck breaking the cycle.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9363009

Thanks...Katrina brought them...but I am the dummy that thought they were "cute" little plants with baby flowers and must be some kind of mimosa or cassia...DUH...live and learn...
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

January 15, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9386715

I've been calling them crown vetch - and pulling and I did do a St Augustine weed/feed on my one lawn area because they were so bad. Hoping my goat will help to control. She loves weeds.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America