Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: Upright Rosemary

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 26, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9208116

I moved to this house three years ago. There are two upright rosemarys about 3 ft. high and 5 ft across. I was expecting these to bloom, but they haven't. Do I need to feed them something to make them bloom? They are in full sun between the sidewalk and the street.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9208342

Bezziec ~ welcome to Daves garden and to the Texas forum.

How lucky you are to have two rosemary plants. Their blooms aren't real showy. Most cultivars bloom off and on through wintertime.

They don't need much care. You can prune and shape them, using the herb for cooking if you wish. They don't need excess water at all and I've never fertilized mine and really don't think that is necessary but will try to research for you. Kristi

txaggiegal
Belton, TX

July 17, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9208412

Howdy and welcome...upright rosemary is not as common as others...but they usually don't bloom until the temps are cooler...and are rather picky about when or if they do it...our weather over the past few years have certainly had an impact...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9208462

Oh, hello! I saw your post before but I didn't notice you were new to DG. WELCOME. There's a thread around here somewhere of people talking about Rosemary.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9208466

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268794/

note: this is a JOKE. Her rosemary doesn't really bloom like that.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9208467

Carrie, please post a link to that discussion if/when you run across it again! Thanks!

Linda

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9208469

Above, Linda. We crossed.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9208480

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233095/

Here's one from the Herbs Forum.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9208487

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233095/

Here's one from the Herbs Forum.

And an ARTICLE that may help.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2581/

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9209134

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the information. I am an experienced gardener from southwest Missouri, but had to rethink full sun versus full sun in central Texas!! And yes, carrielamont, I recognized the blooms on the rosemary as either hybiscus or althea blooms. I do use some of the rosemary for cooking and am getting ready to give them a major haircut. I sometimes see neighborhood walkers taking a sprig of it with them since it is next to the sidewalk. Doesn't hurt it a bit of course. Great to be here on Dave's Garden and I'm looking forward to learning more about planting in Texas.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9212927

Trim off all you want from the side byt
DONT rop it off - ir the top leaders wont come back.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9213240

Welcome to Dg, Bezziec. How nice to inherit such a wonderful herb.

Baja, I'm afraid you may have been mislead. There is absolutely no reason you can't cut the top branches or central leaders. They will grow back thicker and denser if you do cut back, and prevent the bush from lodging. You can feel free to cut away :0)
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9213910

What does lodging mean in this context?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9213960

When a plant doesn't have enough foliage to hold up the stems or structural support. It reminds me of a "part" in a hairstyle. Artemisias, rosemary and some of the larger salvias are notorious lodgers.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9213980

I always thot the stems held up the foliage, not the other way round. i still dont understand.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9213996

Sorry, I stink at explaining things. It's nothing simpler then a top heavy stem, all the weight pulls the stem down. You have to prune the plants to keep them looking dense., when actually there is no foliage in the centre of the plant.

I bought this rosemary as a 4" pot, it's 8' across. There is no foliage on the inside of the plant, if i don't trim it soon, all the weight will go to one side and it will look like it's dead in the center. I've hacked away at it for over 12 years, top and sides.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9214112

Uh ~ oh... better go look closer at mine. LOL
Seriously, rosemary is bad about doing just exactly that. Most folks think it is dying from the inside out. Kristi

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9214230

Ask on the Herbs Forum.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9214657

Thanks, Cocoa. I get it now. I have young rosemarys so glad to learn about this in time to manage my plants correctly..

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9214815

Thanks for the explanation on lodging. I have an artemsia that is doing just that. If I cut it back this winter (or should I do it now) will it come back thicker and more upright?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9216743

What kind are you growing? I've had the low mounding ornamentals. For those, I would give them a really hard trim early in the spring. Leaving about 10" stems, then another not so drastic trim just about the time they started looking their best. That kept them in their best 'mound' form all year long. You shouldn't have any problem trimming them at any time you like, However, they grow the most and rebound quicker in the early summer and fall.
They are also very easy to root from the discarded trimmings. Just place a 3"-4" piece of stem in potting soil and place in the shade for a few weeks.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9216863

Thanks, cocoa_lulu. I will give it a hard trim about February and then another about June. Would like to keep it from sprawling so much. I also failed to trim my plumbago last winter because it was so warm it never stopped growing. It will get a haircut this winter so it is not so leggy. Glad to know that artemsia will root easily. My neighbor and I are getting ready to make a large flower bed between our houses this fall, so anything free will be helpful. Neither of us ever saw a plant we didn't like!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9216896

That's the right kind of neighbor to have!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9216923

No kidding, that would be wonderful! The closest I ever came to having a neighbor that enjoyed gardening was an extremely elderly woman. She would come over to visit, give me a dollar to buy her some bedding plants. Then get furious with me because I never got her the right plants. She would prattle back home with her dollar and "wrong" plants. LOL
I loved her style and really do miss her!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9216935

In Milton, MA we lived next to a yard Nazi. He HATED our flowering plants because sometimes they accidentally seeded on his sacred lawn. 3 times a week, at 8 am, April-November, whether it had grown or not, he would mow his grass (after all the insecticide had washed downhill and killed all our butterflies). Grrrrrrr. We've planted knock-out roses between our yard and his lawn. At least we don't have to trim them--his LAWN MOWER does that.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9217200

Will try to post some before, during and after pictures if I can remember to take them. Love to see the blooms on here. Makes me want to go buy one of every kind. We are going to try to do mostly a butterfly/hummingbird garden, but my neighbor loves roses so there will probably be some of those too. We have about a 10' by 20' space that we can use. Trying to keep from having so much St. Augustine grass to water since neither of us have sprung for an irrigation system.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9217322

10' x 20' is big! (I have 0 x 0.)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America