Riding Weather

Richmond, TX

We need a new topic of discussion. What do you consider weather that is too bad for riding?

I normally get put off by cold weather - we are not used to anything below freezing here. If I didn't ride when it was hot and humid, I'd be on foot all summer long. How about you?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

If it's in the mid 90s or hotter it's too hot. If it's raining or snowing I won't ride. And I don't ride if it's below 30. If I had my own horse and my own barn and arena then I could get away with more. As it is I just ride when I get the chance which isn't that often.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

in the 90's and humid , I dont ride. below freezing I dont ride either. with an indoor arena, I can ride if it rains.

Medina, OH

Don't have an indoor arena, so must be conscious of bad footing. Frozen hoof prints are a no-no as are hard clay ones. Gentle rain is fine. Have been spreading stall waste in my ring and it has helped to even out the hard clay (thanks Pork pal). As far as heat goes, agree with J2.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

where DD is working they have a formula for when to cancel classes.
ambient temp + humidity = n when nis between 115-149 riding is kept at a walk, when n is between 150-180 ther is no riding.

Richmond, TX

Oh, wow! I'd be doing a lot of walking or nothing if I followed those rules. Around here (Gulf Coast) we have an additional problem: some horses lose their ability to sweat - either partially or completely. For these horses, obviously, riding in the hot summer has to be carefully regulated - or better yet, the horse needs to find a new home where it is cooler and/or less humid, in which case it will normally regain it's sweating. Weird, huh? Fortunately I don't have any non-sweaters at the moment.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

those rules are for the therapy lessons. they have horses, kids and volunteers to think about.

Richmond, TX

Absolutely, makes sense!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't ride in the rain. I don't ride in the cold. I don't ride if the temps are too high for the horses to be safe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images