Photo by Melody

Hostas: Sun damage or virus? Please help!

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 3, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Iris2222
Carmi, IL
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9208411

Hi all, I ordered some hostas online and when I received them they had spots on them. From the picture I posted does it look like sun damage or a virus? Any replys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Iris2222
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9208459

That type of damage would indicate sun or weather damage, I believe. Damage from a virus would be all over the leaf. Google pics of hosta viruses to get an idea, particularly of HVX which is very common in hostas from some sources. What about your source - is it a private person or a nursery? Did you ask about their HVX control? If not, you really should treat them as possibly ill because HVX does not necessarily show symptoms right away. That means - keep them in pots, isolate them for a couple of years and always clean your tools (including your hands) well between plants. (Disinfectant wipes work well).

Ann
Iris2222
Carmi, IL
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9208594

I bought them from a very popular online hosta nursery so I was doubtful that it was a virus but wanted to make sure. They talk about how they take preventive measures to avoid any viruses on their website so hopefully it is just sun damage, which is completely understandable with the drought conditions we've had. I am a newbie when it comes to hostas so I appreciate your reply Ann. Thank you! :)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9208762

Glad to hear that it is a nursery that at least addresses the issue of viruses. Your chances of healthy hostas is much better. Also happy to hear that, as a newbie, you are aware of the virus issue. That's the largest part of the battle, I think.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America