Fall Central TX RU - Let's Plan!

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks like the ayes have it. We will have our fall RU on Saturday September 29. Time to put those hot summer days to good use. Too hot to go outside and work the garden so let's work our brains to come up with another great Round Up for those of us in "sort of central TX".

I would be more than willing to have it here at the farm again, trees will still have leaves in the back yard, I also have a very large canopy/tent that I can put up if it is inclimate. My DH will be happy to grill, horses and donkeys are counting the days till y'all come and feed them again, and the Border Collies are anxiously awaiting those suckers who will throw the ball endlessly into the pond for them.

We will start around 11'ish.

I am in Hempstead, and there are quite a few places to explore nearby if you chose to make it a getaway.

Here is the link for the food list
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278944/

Here is the link for trades
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275587/

Joy

Attending:

Rouxcrew
Gymgirl
Careyana
Kevcarr
Steadycam
bigbubbles
bariolio
kittriana
Planolinda
Trishann

I will send out the blast with directions in a day or so.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 3:16 PM

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm in! Can I bring my little girls again?

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Shouldn't be a problem for us.... Lorelai would like ball-throwing duty & she loves animals....

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Joy, you know I am IN!

So tell me more about this daylilies place.... :D

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

where zactly is Hempstead ?

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

This sounds great, but it my Granddaughters Birthday. I will need to see what dates they are having a party for her. Sometimes it is early, sometimes it is late!

Hempstead, TX is about 60 miles or so, North East of Houston. Looks like it is on hwy 290, just off of 6.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Hempstead is 40 miles northwest of Houston on Hwy. 290. It's also about 60 miles south of Wacko on Hwy. 6, and about 70 miles east of Austin on the same Hwy. 290.

The daylilly place we're talking about is just west of Brenham on 290, right before you get into town. Coming from Austin to the west, just after the road goes from divided into 5 lanes, start looking on the right hand side, you won't miss it. They grow LOTS & LOTS of daylillies but that's my wife's forte, so she would be the one to ask specific questions about them. She bought some the last trip through, and they grew pretty well after she planted them, so that's about my knowledge on the subject.

They also have vegetables and do market sales, with a decent size operation, about 5 acres, that I could see.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2012 3:58 PM

Just a note: I cannot do Sunday!

Kevin, that sounds like a place I could spend a day. Brenham really isn't any worse than driving to my favorite greenhouse in Giddings from NW Austin!

Was in your neck of the woods this afternoon Carey, went to Florence to pick up a new LGD pup. Was spur of the moment or would have called to give you rain lilies.

Saturday would be fine, is that date ok for everyone? Kids are always welcome, we have leashes for the unruly ones. LOL

We could do a field trip to the day lily place early that morning before we RU'd......

There are several good nurseries, wineries, and antique places around as well as that little creamery in Brenham.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Saturday the 22nd? Is the 22nd a Sat?

Joy, it sounds like your bunkhouse might be full that weekend. lol!

It is in September. Have room for three in the bunkhouse.

Are there motels close by?

There is a very reasonable (39.99) one just 5 minutes from the house. But LK, as far as you are coming, you are welcome to the bunkhouse.

Joy

Thanks Joy, but I need to check dates for the Birthday party first, before I commit.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Im in.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Carey,

You'll go right past the place when you go to the RU... If you've gone to Hou. from up in Austin, right after the road goes from divided to 4-lane with a big center-turn lane, as you come into Brenham, start looking on the right-hand side of the road, you can't miss it... You'll love it & stop back by on the way home to pick up your stuff.....

Roux,

I've got a staple gun for the real unruly ones!!! LOL...

Kevin

I'm in for a trip to the daylily place, too! One of my raised beds (yet to be built) will have daylilies and nasturtiums.

I have Friday free and I am thinking that after chores I might just have to go and scope it out. I would hate to recommend a place on hearsay, LOL. Course then I will need to get a bed going so that I can plant my prizes. And with the skeeters and the humidity, something I haven't had to deal with for 4 or so years, I can't even weed the areas I have.

Went scrounging rain lilies today, found some pink ones and some really tall ones, in white. Now it is too hot to get them in little pots, or big pots for that matter. Guess they will sit in their buckets till evening.

Kevin, we could just staple them to a tree, or use them as catfish bait.

Joy

OK, went to the daylily place and boy are there some pretty ones blooming since the rain. The fellow's mom said that he wasn't selling any till fall, maybe first of October and gave me his card, said I should call him to place an order. He has all sorts of pics on the porch wall but it isn't the same as looking at those gorgeous blooms. I will call him sometime this week and see what he has to say and let y'all know. Here are a few of the ones I saw blooming while I was there.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Go Joy! Maybe if he realizes a bunch of plant crazy people are going to converge a week early, he'll let us pick through and take some home. :D

Yeah. Tell him you're bringing a tour group.

Well, it looks like I will not be able to make this trip, as my Granddaughter's Birthday is on the 23rd, and her party date is on the 22nd. So sorry everyone. I know there will be more round ups, so I am hoping to catch you all on the next one!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd love to come again but Sept. 22nd is the only day I have something written down to do in Sept! What about the following Sat.? I'd love to be closer to *possible* cooler weather but you know how that goes! Oct looks good too, as of right now.
I want to see the horses this time! Janet

I'm good for the 29th, too!

I don't have a problem moving it one weekend, I just picked one that I knew I had free. So who's in favor of Saturday September 29th? It would put us right in the figurative ballpark for our daylily guy. Haven't had a chance to call him, but might make a drive out there Saturday and talk in person.

Do we lose more folks than we gain? LK, could you make that weekend?

Joy

I'm good!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I would like to come. I wouldn't be able to on the 22nd, but could come on the 29th! That would be great! I'll start rooting some cuttings.

Y'all just tell me when. :)

FYI, the Wildflower Center fall plant sale is the 12-14th of October in case anyone is interested. I plan to be casing the joint at 10am this time!
http://www.wildflower.org/plantsale/

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Im still good. Either one.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

We're not 20 minutes from LBJ Wildflower Center, and I think my wife would really like that short trip.

September 29th would be great for us, since it's the day after Betty's birthday. A little trip and some daylillies might get me out from under the dog house, for the time being. I won't even mention about the daylilly place, try to make it a surprise. I'd have to bypass coming down 290 to throw her off the track, and come into Hempstead from Brookshire, more than likely...

Wow, sneaky. That would surely get my husband out, that or a trip to the Antique Rose Emporium. It's about 25 minutes from the farm, NW of Brenham.
Guess we need to set up a trade list and a food list?

Joy

Oh Joy, you just HAD to bring up the Rose Emporium. I still have a couple of slots left open in my raised beds... :D

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Roux...are you a definate go on Sept 29Th? Give me a time, and location that I can post in the calendar of events for Texas.

Sheila, yes it looks like it will be our date. Guess we will start around 11, at our farm, Lonesome Pine, Hempstead.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Added it! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241644/

What's the latest talley?

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi -- new to this RU thread but wanted to ask about the "Daylilly" farm/source --??-- Is that open to the general public... or is this a neighbor of someone on this thread that just sells to select people..??..

Also, I saw The Rose Emporium mentioned -- has anyone else had any problems with the roses that they bought from them..??.. I lost my well established Pinkie Climbers to the Rosette Virus and the Aloha rose that I had them send to my brother in Indiana also developed the virus. Just curious...

Jannz2,
Join us at the Roundup! We'd love to meet you!

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images