Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Organic Gardening: Healing lip burn from horticultural vinegar fumes

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nyad2
Wilmington, NC

July 17, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9208610

Hi, all

As I drove him home, a guy threw his large and very full knapsack on the floor of my car, atop a just-bought bottle of rather expensive, pure horticultural vinegar. This organic formula was or is to take the place of the highly toxic "Roundup" product. I wasn't aware that the weight and impact of his bag had broken off the screw-top of the bottle till I was driving home, and the edges of my lips were burning. Half the vinegar had leaked into the floor mat, which of course I removed at home, washed and aired. However, after 3 days, the edge of my lips are still painful and too dry to absorb anything. Lip balms, even the "natural" ones, seem to burn it more, as would butter on a burn, the old wives' tale cure that doesn't work either. I've thought of aloe for it heals burns on regular skin but burns mucous membranes further, so I'm searching for another option. If you've used aloe on your lips and it's worked, I'd like to be proven wrong. Right now, I don't want to risk it.

I doubt that there are many out there who've experienced this particular involuntary poisoning by an organic product, but there may be a few among you with the healing instinct!

Thanks.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2012 11:46 AM

This message was edited Jul 17, 2012 11:50 AM
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9211109

Break open a vitamin E capsule and put it on your sore lips.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9212280

Considering that vinegar is acidic, it stands to reason an alkaline would be the antidote. Have you tried baking soda, diluted in water?

I use Bach's Rescue Cream for burns because it also heals. In fact, I use it for other things like poison ivy, scrapes, bee stings and cuts!
http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9389190

Strongest vinegar legal for sale retail in Colorado is 5% canning vinegar - mostly because the stronger agricultural vinegar is so caustic. I guess you have to be licensed/certified to buy and use it here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America