-
AuthorContent
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9209294

Years ago, someone posted a "Brugmansia Tea" and I forget what all is in it, but just got a note from someone where I live that is having some problems with hers and thought it might help. I remember it had Tea Tree Oil in it. Anyone have the recipe?! Thanks if you can help!
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9209463

Here are the two links to the recipe by both maggiedew and kenboy, but it is an expensive way to go. Does the Brug show signs of nutrient deficits?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/963046/?hl=tea recipe
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803019/?hl=tea recipe
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9209690

Thanks Betty, They aren't my brugs, but someone else from here in Spokane. I used the tea before, and yes it is expensive, but my brugs did do beautifully - however I don't recall ever using ammonia in the recipe. This person told me the leaves off of her cuttings were turning yellow, and also that she was fertilizing and watering daily. I think I religiously used this tea once a week, and I think she is over fertilizing.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9210089

Did she say how old her cuttings were? Are they rooted? If rooted in how large a pot are they? She is definitely fertilizing too much and may be overwatering as well. Once or twice a week tops for fertilizer. How long has she been doing this? She may have messed up the pH in the soil. If the pH is way off her Brugs may not be able to utilize the nutrients. She may need to leach out all the unused salts from the soil if she is using fertilizer that is applied to the soil. If she is spraying the leaves with foliar fertilizer, too much of a good thing is bad and the leaves could be suffering leaf burn.

Foliar fertilizer shouldn't be the only fertilizer used on any plant. Most foliar fertilizers don't address the root's needs and one may end up with too much top growth and very few roots meaning that eventually the roots won't be able to provide what the top portion of the plant needs.

Did she add perlite to the potting mix for faster drainage? Why is she watering them every day? Unless it's been very hot and the finger test for moisture comes out dry, she is also over watering. Get her to search for information on growing Brugs.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9210331

I'll have to ask her, or maybe she will see this thread.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

November 4, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9324435

I thought brugs are poison? What's up with the tea?
Rhapsody
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9325651

The tea is for the Brugs. It's really an expensive weak fertilizer.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

November 8, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9328506

OH! Blond moment LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America