Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: gladiolis (sp) why aren't they flowering ?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 9, Views: 107
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Canada60
Maple, ON

July 17, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9209356

Hi i bought a bag of glad bulbs in the spring and planted them a bit late,they shot up like nobody's business but they show no signs of flowering . is this because i planted them after the frost ?any ideas suggestions appreciated

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9209649

they do get planted in the spring, so that's not the problem
are they planted in full sun? are they still green?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9209692

My Spring planted glads just shot up bloom spikes last week and are just starting to open.
Maybe they're just a little late this year.
You could dose them with fertilizer, sometimes that will shock them into bloom.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9209979

Assuming you have them in enough sun I'd be patient with them--if you started them a bit on the late side then I'd expect blooms to start a bit on the late side as well.
Canada60
Maple, ON

July 20, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9212559

thank you yes they are green and growing just not flowering .i will be patient
Canada60
Maple, ON

July 27, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9220904

Guess What they are starting to flower yeahhh
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 30, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9223481

Hi Canada, you have just learned the first lesson is gardening and patience is it's name, I cant tell how many times I've wandered around the garden asking myself "wheres such and such and who dug them up" only to find several weeks later, theyb are showing their flowers and I sigh with releief ha, ha, ha.

You Gladiola bulbs will finish flowering in a few weeks and if I were you, I would then cut the flower stalks off to prevent the flowers forming seeds, the energy that bulbs use up making seeds is quite something and IF you dont want the seeds, | would suggest you dont weeken the bulbs by allowing the formation of of unwanted seedsw. when /IF you cut off the flower stems, leave the foliage to die down naturally as this helps feed the bulb and this makes for a stronger bulb the following year, BUT add a handfull of Blood / Bone / Fish meal to the soil around the bulbs and give a gentle rake in, or a handfull of multi purpose plans granuals.
Next spring add a dressing of good well rotted manure or compost to help the soil hold onto some much needed moisture but not allowing water logging.You can also lift the dried bulbs and hang up in a well ventilated area, when the foliage had completely dried, pull it away and store the bulb for replanting out next spring, remove any little bulbils and pot these up for a couple of years till the bulbs reach flowering size and then treat as the bulbs you have now.
Good luck and enjoy your new flower spikes, add a garden cane to the position so in future you know where the bulbs are especially when you work on the soil before the bulbs show through next year.
WeeNel.
destinip
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9225434

I had a similar problem. Only one of mine bloomed. The rest started to but then their blooms (before they opened) died and was nothing but a dead crunch bloom. I live in Oklahoma so maybe it was to hot for them. It was 109 degrees today. How can anything live through that?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9225512

I have some too, that I thought disappeared, they are finally getting a flower bud, weird since my others ones bloomed and are finished already...very weird year
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9330334

I only planted glads once in the front bed (a mix) and wasn't thrilled with them so I didn't plant any more after that--didn't remove them either. That was 16 yrs ago. I still have 3-9 appear off and on each season, white or a white with a pink streak in the throat and always 5 ft tall. When I divided my iris several years ago I found a gladiola breeding ground:lol: Corms of all sizes and hundreds of them! I eneded up just scooping out the soil with as many of the tiny bulbs as I could into paper bags and giving them to friends with the iris. I couldn't get all of them out and still have glads popping up each summer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America