Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Green Manure

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donaldlegerski
Sheridan, WY

July 17, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9209491

Thank you for taking the time to address my question. I am starting a new garden plot and have somewhat clayish soil. I would like to start this season by turning and adding a green manure, such as sweet white clover, alfalfa (legumes) or buckwheat. I am late in the season and will be establishing raised beds in the spring or 2013. I will also be adding aged cattle manure this fall as a top dressing prior to the winter snow. I am in Wyoming, and my soil is mostly alklaic. Am I on the right track, or would some other approach help in establishing my garden plot for next year?

Sincerely,
Donald

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9231986

Wow, no one answered you! Sorry, what did you end up doing? I personally like aged cow, we have several kinds of soil- hvy in the chelated iron and sand dept. The raised bed has done better than fighting that soil for us, and tons of compost for the veggies. I know Wyo gets ICY, but lay out your raised beds early as possible and allow them to overwinter- gets you a headstart come springtime. that snow and ice won't hurt the bed at all, and may help it warm faster this spring too. If your water is alkaline, it can add to the alkalinity of the soil by the way...
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9235993

If you got your beds built this fall you could plant an annual rye, and turn it under before you plant. That would also keep erosion down because as i remember it gets really windy in your part of the country.
Frank65
Hallowell, ME

August 14, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9241506

I agree with BCH. Any green manure would be great even along with the cow. Any compost added would work too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America