Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BRUGMANSIA - If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 152, Views: 1,391
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 18, 2012
12:26 AM

Post #9209703

This is my Mango Cornet again showing some Winter Blooms.
One pod only 'open pollinated' All the rest have tags. For some reason I do not seem to get a lot open pollinations?
Allan..

Thumbnail by boolarong204
Click the image for an enlarged view.

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 18, 2012
12:33 AM

Post #9209705

Chrissy.. Yes that hibiscus is one of my creations. I have named it "Tangerine Tango"
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9209719

Yay Allan well done ! :-)

It's a beautiful brug and a beautiful Hibiscus ...Tangerine Tango is beautiful !
Edited to say Allan I had no open pollination for years and didn't think it possible until Pink Panther and her offspring came and to live here.
What a flirt ! I do have to say it has only happened in the cooler wet Summer, so I don't know if that changes anything or not.
I have had plagues wasps this past Summer, maybe they did it (not sure). I prefer to pollinate myself because often the open pollinated ones are
full of empty corks, but for a tiny quantity of seeds.

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 6:06 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2012
1:09 AM

Post #9209725

Oopsy we came from our long Winter thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268845/
Thanks everyone who contributed ...and yes, Spring hurries toward us, it's almost August- in some gardens that means Spring.

chrissy
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 18, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9209736

That is a beautiful Mango Cornet, can not weight till mine gets big like that.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9209742

Alan what alovely Pic with MC anf that Hibiscus together stunning.
glad to see your still around,

Just like you Alan i have many open pollinations on White Ruff & Old Apricot (1023) but i have been just popping the pods off when i have time to do so i dont need 10 Open-P
from 1 plant any more i seem to have good results with crossing myself like Chrissy

in the next 2 days i will have a bloom from Munchausen so Yuppy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 19, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9211169

I am sure we will all miss Tonny Surrow very much,
Like most of you I have followed his Brugmansia Journey, enjoying his energy and great love of these beautiful plants.
He had just celebrated his Birthday recently ...he was too young to go and will be greatly missed.
RIP Tonny.
Rock on Mate !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 20, 2012
1:08 AM

Post #9212082

Chrissie, remember when I put a pic of FFA on here and it was a single...you had never seen it produce singles.
Well here it is again...very similar colour to pod sister Angioletto, there is a second corolla way up inside and only about one inch long at the most...the perfume is as lovely as ever and it's a very neat flower.
2 pics from day one and the third is from day 2...it recurved very quickly...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 20, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9212092

Hi Dianne I think it must be because FFA love the heat, it's interesting to see it in that form, thanks for sharing.
We had heavy frost this morning ...lots of frizzles.

Hope everyone's gardens are ok.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9212967

Dianne what a beautiful bloom it's not what you
Expected from that cross

Yesterday I received a package from Grandma's garden
The plants were of good quality and som could be
Divided especially 'Shiver me Timbers' but will not
Be doing that till I have had a flush of the beauties
I still have not thanked them at this time but I'll be
Doing that as soon as iv finished here

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 21, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9213047

Very glad that they arrived Shaun...when you pay big dollars for something it's always a concern until they get to you...We will be looking forward to a lot of pics this Spring...

Here are a few of the Joseph's Coat flowers, this plant is about 4ft lower down in the garden, which would explain the pink, everything else is higher and white...except for FFA which is low down and a beautiful lemon...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 21, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9213058

That is a great result Shaun, it's always great to hear of a good Brug purchase. Don't go chopping that beauty up before it
grows up, if you want to make more plants wait until it is full of Spring growth hormones, then they will rocket away. If it were mine I would want to see a flush first.

Dianne what a great flush on J's C ...that is very important, can't wait to see it in Spring :-)

chrissy
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 21, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9213063

Here, we still need some good winter cold [may sound stupid] but for good results in bulbous plants, [esp daffs], we need at least 5 frosts.,.number 5 happened last night,.,but now we need more cold to hold back summer bulb growth- at least til september
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9213065

Thank you Girls, the plants looked good Packed well and arrived safely.

All have been potted up and put in the Hothouse for the rest of winter where they can get a little more protection as they have come from QLD.

I have aurea(form)8-10 blooms, Munchausen,3 Blooms, DRC becoming smothered in blooms again and DRC i thought did not have fragrance dose and is very pleasant to the nose

Dianne JC even in the cooler weather is pretty so protect him and you will be rewarded in spring
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 21, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9213749

This is my Fernando today enjoying some lovely Winter sun. Five seedpods harvested off Mango Cornet so far. The pods on Fernando and Fire Fighter Angel, being much larger than MC, will no doubt take a bit longer to ripen.
Allan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9213787

Alan, Fernando is so beautiful. I hope your pods all turn out to be full of exciting seeds.
I am watching a few pods here which I hope will produce something different.

A bit of your sunshine would be lovely to put some color in the pale dresses of the brugs here.
Mango is holding good color though despite the cold.
There are still several blooms to open.

Poor old BB is really looking anaemic with hardly any color at all.

I am so glad I have GHA for his glorious winter flushes.

Shaun, looks like you have a garden full of lovelies too.

pic 1...Here is my Mango Cornet this morning.. ( there are 15 mote buds to open with more forming )

pic 2... Pink Panther this morning, starting to get a little pink

pic 3...Hyacinth Bouquet , there are several more buds the same size. ( hoping at least one opens)

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 21, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9213816

Fernando has such lovely flushes, and Mango Cornet seems to look good regardless of which climate it's in.
Here's another flush (of 2 blooms!) on Joli X Bergkonigin. Double again, but with the inner skirt recessed this time. Sniffed it at night and it has a delightful fragrance that I can't describe, but it's not very strong. Colour is paler than last time.

PS The local garden expo is on next month; hard to resist even if I tell myself I *won't* buy anything :-)
http://www.glebegardenclubipswich.com.au/wp-content/uploads/PDF/GGCIExpo2012.pdf

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 12:07 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9214913

Allan ...Fernando is looking so fine, even in the gentle Winter outfit.

Dianne is J's Coat still going ?

Same here Jean everything is frizzled or ghostly pale ...mind you I don't really mind ghostly pale, it goes so well with frost, fog and grey drizzle now. That PP is but a shadow of itself, I never would have recognized it if you hadn't told us who it was, even her tendril's are shrunk away, must be the cold.

Your double Pink is just a bit cold cestrum ...what a brave Brug she is to bloom at all ...they all are considering it is Winter.
If you get along to the local garden expo say hi to Claire for me, she is a FB buddy and is falling in love with Brugs too,
can't wait to see what you buy oopsy er didn't buy :)

Anthony ...I think you got lost :) our Prince of Lilies is always welcome here amongst the Brug Nuts.

Happy Monday everyone ...getting closer to Spring.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9214932

Well, I do hope to go along and take some pics at least, assuming that nothing else gets in the way that Saturday.
Here's Pink Smitty x Dorthea, she of the overblown collagen-injected lips--before those "lips" have turned ugly. Paler because it's winter, this bloom would still turn a bit darker if left to mature fully (which I haven't done). I wanted to show it from all angles, as it has an interesting curl on one side, like the upturned brim of a hat. It reminds me a little of Musketeer in that respect. The last photo is a comparison shot from last spring.
Now I remember: I also wanted to show how it has those paler vertical stripes, paler now but more yellow in warm weather. I'm convinced that this plant is carrying yellow genes and wish the seeds I've harvested from it (and posted out to others) would just hurry up, grow, and flower already LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9214947

And here it was in March, as a mature warm-weather bloom, showing the richness of the colour, and the ugliness of those overblown lips when viewed from below or full on.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2012 11:29 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9215149

Chrissy, PP is showing more pink today.
I'll give him another day then get another pic.
BB is finally opening all the flowers. Very pale but with lovely curly tendrils, more so than usual.
A mix of 5 & 6 pointers and the curly tendrils make up for the ghostly look.
Lots of yellowing on all the growth on the brugs at the moment.
They have finally realised its winter, but so far hardly any shedding of the leaves. That will come later I am sure.

OE shed all the buds in the cold but is still putting more on.
Hyacinth is putting out a few more buds too.
Maybe she will be a Bouquet not a Bucket...lol

Cestrum , I like the upturned "lips" . They are much nicer than those that just hang around sulking with turned down mouth.

Jean.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9215172

You mean like Big Floppy Apricot, Jean? LOL
I'll have to compare the colours of PS x Dorthea against Joli x Bergkonigin in summer, to see which has the most intense pink.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9215175

Shhhhh ! they might hear you.
You wouldn't want to hurt their feelings would you ? :-)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 23, 2012
3:06 AM

Post #9215212

No, Chrissy, never got lost, just bored and looking about on a quiet night maybe,.,.Glad to chat to you again!The lilies will be brilliant this year,.,.,.,
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9216762

Here are a few of the planst that are looking MMmm Ok and have a few blooms

1: aurea (form) 7/2012
2 & 3: DRC
4 & 5: Maunchausen

so happy to see more blooms in this dreadful weather and the first blooms on any other plant then DRC

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 24, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9217177

Looking very nice Shaun.
I do think Munchausen looks pretty in pale pink.

My Mango Cornet is also looking very bright with more flowers opening.

What are the parents of DRC Shaun ?
I am sure you mentioned it somewhere before.

Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9217503

Jean, DRC is a cross from aurea[Diggers] X.aurea 1013
of those i only have [Digegrs].
aurea 1013 died while i was living in town and didn't take a lot of care with them as we had the 10 year drought.

DRC has a very soft & pleasant fragrance which is not as strong as say GHA, a(form), GB ect!!!

iv just been out side washing post in bleach and potting up have done about 100 seedlings in to 3" pots and about 60 in to 6"pots with a bit of fish under every single plant as these ones are heading for a wee holiday over at my sister-in-laws place about 15min away

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 11:58 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9218549

A bit of fish, Shaun? Literally? (In pots?) Curious to hear more ...

So, I was in the kitchen peeling some brug seeds after soaking them, when one of the seeds slipped out of my hand and fell onto the floor. I turned all the lights on but just could not see it, so I grabbed the broom and started sweeping and then sifting thru the debris. No luck. I left it for an hour until the day got brighter and went and looked again, did another sweep in an untouched corner and found a seed. (Those corners need more regular sweeping!) Except ... it didn't look quite like the others I had peeled. And I thought the cork was too dry, not as if it had only been soaking just an hour earlier. So I reckon it's from another batch of brug seeds--but some earlier one. Presumably it's one I wanted or I wouldn't have bothered peeling it. Mind you, that still leaves the original one that's yet to be found!

Saw a news update about Julian Assange seeking asylum in Ecuador. That's where Alistair has bought his land for growing brugs, right? What are the odds the two Aussies might cross paths there LOL
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9218602

Cestrum, you may find a brug growing in a dark corner of your kitchen one day ...lol

I just went out and braved the icy wind to take a pic of my newest baby.
It may look a mess now but it did look cute yesterday before being neaten over the head in the strong wind last night.
This is the very first flower on Mountain Treasure x AxelRose. (pic 1 )
I love the cute little shape and the way it curls back on opening.
Not much in the way of tendrils or color , but being the first and in winter, I have high hopes for it as it matures.
After 3 years and getting to over 7' tall, it finally did something .

pic 2 ...Mango Cornet sill opening flowers.
The perfume is still strong this morning and reminds me a bit of GHA.

pic 3 ...ButterBomb in winter pale.

pic 4...some of the brugs down the back, You can see they are slightly yellow with the cold but still very leafy.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9218616

Cestrum, are you peeling brug seeds to plant now? I would have thought you would have waited until Spring but perhaps you have one of those small bottom heating pads. I will wait another month to plant. Have some exciting seeds from Elizabeth Fichtl(USA) as well as some of my own crosses.

My Mango Cornet plant is producing plenty of seeds for me. So far I have seeds of...
MC X FFA
MC X Fernando
MC X PP(Dianne's faciation pollen)
If any of the list members want a few of these to plant in Spring please D-mail me
Allan
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9218697

I wouldn't recommend sowing now, Allan, but I can't resist sampling just a few of each newly harvested batch. I find that they're taking at least a month to germinate but I'm doing this outside--despite the near-frosty winter nights we can get here--because I've found that germinating them inside (in the sunroom) just produces a whole lot of problems like fungus gnats. (Plus, I've taken my sunroom back!) So no heating pad, just outside in one of those small mini-propagators with the aeration lids shut. Placed outside up against the wall or under dappled shelter from other plants.

Saw your listing on ebay--that unnamed double (Mariner's Pride X Double Peach) is interesting--is it scented? Crossed with Mango Cornet it should produce some stunning seedlings! Plus of course the cross with FFA: think of the perfume those two might produce :-)

Wouldn't surprise me if a stray seed germinated somewhere inside when the humidity returns, Jean LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9218719

After doing the egg experiment Shaun ...I would just say watch out for ants.
The eggs seemed to help quite well but ants were an awful problem, can't say it was the eggs for sure or not but that is what happened, good luck and let us know how it goes. I would use fish planted underneath in the garden but not sure about pots, it will be interesting.

It's so nice to see some blooms still going on, congratulations on your new baby Jean, we love new babies !
Love your pics :-)

So cold and wet here too, I got drenched looking for something worth taking a picture of, but whatever the frosts and winds didn't get, the snails and slugs did.So I gave up and snuck back inside for a hot drink and some warmth.
Pleased to say the babies in their H.cribs are still going well ...my table inside is full of them too. What I have is babies in the 6" cups but only in about 2" of sand the cot leaves are up past the lip of the cups and I will now backfill up to the cot leaves (like tomato plants) and mist with a very weak solution of Seasol. It's all new to me doing it this way but so far so good. I don't have any heat pad, just the warmish position around a TV, computer and normal low power light globe. Stressing these seeds were only to check germination rates of seeds that I had purchased. Great germination rates by the way. if these seedlings drop dead after all this cossetting, it won't really matter because I have the bulk yet to plant in the Spring (which isn't far away now ...yikes !)

cestrum you might find a triffid brug growing just outside the door there somewhere (you might have walked it out under a shoe),
yes I drop the odd seed when peeling ...lol sifting through the contents of a dustpan me- yes so sad :) ...I wonder if they go to the same place the odd socks go ??? :-)

Allan ...if there are any left over, put me on the list, I will have many to share come Spring too.
Congratulations by the way ! well done !

I hope everyone stays warm and dry today.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9218741

oops forgot the pics ...cestrum when you put the plastic bags over the cups themselves the bugs can't get them, I haven't lost one yet.
Hopefully by the time Spring comes they will have enough roots to be strong enough to stave off problems, it's only an experiment but I am really surprised at the results myself.
Quite a few tri cots too !

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9218742

Yes Cestrum, the double white(Mariner's Pride X Double Peach) does have a very nice perfume but unfortunately I am not able to describe it to you(maybe one day I will acquire a 'nose' like Chrissy has for describing the different scents)
The cross MC X FFA should produce very nice scented seedling blooms as BOTH the parents have fantastic perfumes!!

Will put some seeds aside for you Chrissy and send them in Spring.

Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9218762

Sorry Allan I didn't realize you were selling them.
Perhaps just a couple of the FFA would be lovely, but please don't worry if you get lots of orders, only if some are left, plenty of other times :-) good luck with the Ebay. Lovely to see Aussie crosses on there.

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9218770

Chrissy.. I am NOT selling them to members on this list!! I am offering any of my seeds free of charge.

Allan..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9218861

You're too kind, Allan*--don't need any more, but was curious about that double white in particular. (I have the same problem describing fragrances, although I recognise a scent/note once someone else has described it.) You've got some great crosses there, and I can't believe that this is in addition to your tropical hibiscus seed/lings!
Chrissy, I haven't forgotten about your use of cups and I would like to try it, but for germination I still find starting them off in small cells in the mini-propagators works well. They generally start dying when they've been potted up into the next stage (usually a foam cup). I did bring one cup of seedlings inside temporarily as the leaves were being eaten but I couldn't find the culprit. Turned out to be a tiny slug that hid itself somewhere in the cup during the day and came out at night to feed, somehow avoiding the pellets.

I don't think I'd be game to put actual fish--this is what Shaun has done, right?--into the base of my pots, not after what happened with the blood and bone. (If you remember, I added this to some brug pots and ended up with maggots hatching in them: ugh!)

Triffid brugs? Already got em LOL

*Let me know if you're interested in any seeds from my brugs. I've pretty much given up announcing them here as everyone seems to be chockers with all those exotic overseas beauties LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9218880

Thanks Allan, that is so very generous of you :-)

Regarding Mariner's Pride x Double Peach ... a very interesting one double Peach,
I have seen some folk discuss Double Peach,
Double Peach interests me because like some people I think it may be Creamsickle or perhaps a sibling of Creamsickle,
What do you think ?
If you have any Creamsickle crosses, try putting that back to other Creamsickle crosses ...of course only if you enjoy that type of Brug, I do ...I think of them as rose like.

thanks again
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9218901

cestrum the main thing with these seeds in the plastic bags is that I don't have to worry about anything once done. They take care of themselves.
Germinating them in the enclosed box stops the headless thing ...:) it's the humidity. There are no bugs at all.
If you use this method (plastic bags) in Spring I am sure you will be delighted with the results.

If you have any left overs send them here particularly the Knightii crosses if you have any ...but all would be welcome. Will send some of my double crossed seeds when they are ripe in exchange if you want them or anything else.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9218912

Cestrum, yes it is real fish in the base of my seedlings
I found that when I did this in spring they shot off
And grow at twice the rate as ones that have not been
Treated in this manner.

Alan those crosses are interesting and should
Yield some interesting babies in the next 24-36 months

Jean, your pale babies are all looking cold but very pretty

Chrissy with germination of seeds in late autumn &
Winter I will not be doing again as I have had reasonable
Success but find the seed do proffer the warmer weather, but I say
This as this coming autumn & winter I won't be around
And heading to Bali again and need some one to come
And look after my babies for about 2-3 weeks I have a friend
In mind that may be able to help
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9218937

Cestrum, I use the coir ( or whatever they are ) biodegradable little pots for all seeds. They are easy to use and you just plant the whole thing .
I can leave seeds grow in them until the roots are all popping out the sides. They will hold up well until the plants are at least 5"- 6" high.
I stand them in a shallow tray and add water which they soak up from the base.
They seem to like it that way and grow quickly.
One can add fertiliser as well.
As I have said before I use a mix of the soaked coir bricks and perlite and plant one seed per pot.

As with all things in gardening, what works for one doesnt always work elsewhere.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9218942

chrissy100 wrote:
If you have any left overs send them here particularly the Knightii crosses if you have any ...but all would be welcome. Will send some of my double crossed seeds when they are ripe in exchange if you want them or anything else.
chrissy

Famous last words, Chrissy ... last spoken by Shaun, who is now FULL UP with brugs and their seeds LOL I'll just assume that people are interested in anything having a double as one parent. Will list them in spring, I guess, as that's when people will want to sow them. I'll give the cup method a try in spring too, using one plastic-covered cup per batch.

Lucky you with your Bali escapades, Shaun, esp. in winter and autumn. I know fish is a great fertiliser--obviously works beautifully for you--but I'm afraid of what might *evolve* in my pots if I used it in this climate LOL

Jean, I think my seedling mixture is fine, the problem is all the bugs that attack them. Standing the cells/foam cups in a shallow tray of water works beautifully here too--you'd think they'd rot but they seem to thrive in it.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9218959

Cestrum, I have bugs galore around here, but nothing much seems to bother the little brugs.
I usually toss a few snail pellets around for any slugs but never see many in the greenhouses.
Maybe the resident little frog or two along with spiders , do the job on them.
Even the big brugs are usually only eaten with a bite or two then pretty much left alone.
My main problem last year was the spider mite and i will be well prepared to tackle the darn things this year.

Oh how far we have progressed in our brug travels now.
Imagine us all a few years ago trying to get any seed we could.
Now we are all getting picky , as well we should with all the lovelies we are breeding ourselves.
Hooray for us .

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9218967

If the pets didn't kill the blue-tongued lizards, I would probably have a lot fewer snails! But then there's the hoard of other chewers that like to munch on my brugs. (I saw that vicious grasshopper hiding in the stalks of my cunjevoi when I was watering this morning!)
Picky? I prefer to think of it as being more 'discerning' :-)
Yes, what a long way we've come ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9218978

Maybe all the southern pests went north for the "sunshine"...lol

Yes we have become very epicurean nowadays . No common brugs for us any more ...
Next thing you know we will be looking for quadruples ...
One would need a ladder and a veerrryy looong brush to pollinate...ha ha.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9218983

I find each and everyone fascinating, of course some are more beautiful than others and those we may let loose in the big wide world.
A lovely simple single is still a very beautiful thing.

For me it's about the history, the perfume and the presence ...I feel so lucky that that they deign to bloom in my garden (such as it is right now).

One day they will grace the new final garden too, but only a limited number ...so my quest now is to find the very best to take with me. The day I have to choose which ones is something I dread.
Oh but to have a beautiful lot to choose from, how precious is that !
My big indulgence and comfort will be one or two that will dwell in my garden alone ... because they will then be the rarest of the rare,
what gardener does not want the rarest of the rare ? huh ? that joy belongs to us already in a way. With many many more joys and discoveries to come (hopefully) - if it all ended tomorrow I have had the time of my life, all the rest is cherries on top :-)
Meanwhile ...go Bruggies Go !!!

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 4:11 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2012

Post #9218984

You are right Chrissy, we all have our very own ones now
If I ever have to choose, you know which is my first choice, GHA of course.
But I love my very own Senorita Rosada too.

This is until the next even more beautiful bloom appears in my garden...lol

Jean.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 26, 2012
12:58 AM

Post #9219000

Here is Mango Cornet, Which must be Immune to bugs.

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
2:44 AM

Post #9219025

Chrissy i am one that is struck with EP i would have to keep it as long as possible
remember that the plants we start with we should have at the end of our breeding career as they are the genes that make many of the varieties that come throw over the decades.

I will probably change my mind when i have my 1st Double cross or better but the deepest Maroon- Burgundy- Red i would stop today. """" not""""" love them to much to worry about not having them in my life just like all you NUTTERS
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9219037

Chrissy.. I do not know very much about Double Peach, except to say that I like it very much from photos I have seen. Next hybridizing season I will try to cross my double white(Mariner's Pride X DP) with your Twilight Time which has Creamsickle as one of its parents. You might be able to do the same when I am able to send you the cutting I promised.

I can sympathize with you, Chrissy re snails. When we moved to this house last year we had literally thousands of the little slimey buggers. Brugs seemed to be their favourite food!! Now after using two full packets of snail bait, just the odd one here and there. I am lucky however to have no pets so can use the poison without fear of hurting any animals.

Shaun, I heartily agree re EP. I have now re ac-quired this one again. Have it growing in a large pot now. I think I recall reading in the 'book' that although not a real stand out brug itself, it is in the breeding of many great new cultivars being grown today.

Have to agree with everyone, we have come a long way in the last few years. In this regard I must thank the many generous people on this DG forum who have helped me with knowledge, plants etc.

Allan

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 8:25 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 26, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9219470

Gena, your Mango Cornet is lovely...are you going to try your hand at hybridising?

Glad that you got rid of your slimeys, Allan...and I will Dmail you re the seeds using the fasc pollen.
That cross involving possible Creamsickle double crosses, sounds interesting...

In Spring I am going to make a list of particular crosses that each of you are growing so I can follow the progress of that cross...like everyone else I have lots of seeds, so it's not possible to grow everything, though Shaun is trying, lol... but certain crosses do interest me.
Unfortunately by the time the seedling matures, I will have forgotten why I was interested in it, hence the list.

Yes, Chrissy..Joseph's Coat is still flowering...the next flush will be so interesting... I have to dig it up because it doesn't like very hot weather so it will live in a big pot...The deeper pink flowers are the result of a couple of 15c days...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9219786

I wonder what colour Joseph's Coat will end up being in summer? A true pink, maybe?

Just wondering if anyone has crossed white suaveolens with any other brug and gotten something other than another white?
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 26, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9219815

Yes I crossed, Mango Cornet with my White unnamed pod parent being the white and mango the pollen, I through Mango Cornet may be to young and small.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9219820

But I'm guessing the seedling hasn't flowered yet, Gena? So we still don't know whether it's a white? It seems the white suaveolens genes are so dominant that it's hard to get anything but a white/cream in the first-gen seedlings (although I don't know if Frosty Pink was a first-gen seedling).
Shaun, I've crossed both Pink Smitty x Dorthea seedlings with each other (#1 x #2) and the pod on #2 seems to be developing normally, although we won't know if the seeds are viable until they're harvested. You'd think they should produce a strong pink--or a pristine white!
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 26, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9219827

I must thank every one to, for every thing you have all done, thank you.

Gena
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 26, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9219832

I write that again, pod parent my old unnamed white because it is older and Mango Cornet for the pollen, that is more read able.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9219837

So that would be white suaveolens x Mango Cornet, Gena? Or is it some other type of white brug, not white suaveolens?
BTW, congrats on your pod: always a thrill when you breed your own :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 26, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9219875

More to come Gena in the Spring :-) your pics are beautiful I bet you are happy with your pretty Brugs.

Oh yes keeping track of all the babies (oh my head) ... they all have personalities already !
As you go along you can almost see which genes will dominate, it's fascinating.

I have just peeled a couple of my latest seeds from over the pond ...got one with a hole eaten out of it, so I took another and began to peel it when a little black thing (looked like a black splinter with legs) jumped out and ran, I managed to squish it but it both scared and worried me. It was in a cross I really wanted too.

Hopefully it was a one off ...
Is everyone peeling a seed or two when you purchase your seeds ? if not perhaps you might like to check them (I don't blame the seller, it could happen to anyone) only because it could be too late by the time you plant. If you have them in the fridge it should be ok I hope.

cestrum a couple of my Old Apricot x Suaveolens turned a very pale Apricot, they looked like the Sauveolens in shape with a very pale Apricot tinge after a day. I didn't grow out more than the two because they looked the same and I had the hybrids to grow out. I do have some crosses of my own that were unnamed ...Old Apricot was involved but not sure of the pollinators.

Those Pink Smitty crosses sound great cestrum, they should be pretty pinks I think. Good luck with them.

Jean GHA will always go with me too :-) ...oh don't get me started ...

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 26, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9219881

Gena's white one does not look like a Suavolens ...looks like Domain (from memory- not that mine is so good sometimes).

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 26, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9220015

Rain again and the brugs are liking it even if it is cold.
Mango Cornet has a nice flush now but I am not getting wet to take pics .
Poor PP right next to MC has done the same thing with this flower.as it did last time.
Very pale to start then in one day the bloom just collapses . Funny thing with this one , it actually colored up to a pretty pale pink even though it sagged.

HB is still holding those buds. Maybe she likes the cold.
You know...English upper crust & all that...lol

Nothing else happening even with the coldies. They are growing well. Maybe need another year.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 27, 2012
2:38 AM

Post #9220107

Jean, here are my PPs at the moment, very pale but no sagging...I will send you a piece of PP in the Spring, yours needs a boot up the whatsits...PPs are bold and beautiful and very precocious...no sagging is allowed except if the weather is boiling hot... :-)

The Buck's Fizz are in a blooming mood too, so they are pale with just a touch of orange as they age.

I think that you will be lucky with that toffy lady...it's a lovely flower going by Alistairs pic and he said that he loves the perfume...very good luck with it.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 8:42 PM

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 27, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9220715

chrissy100 wrote:
I have just peeled a couple of my latest seeds from over the pond ...got one with a hole eaten out of it, so I took another and began to peel it when a little black thing (looked like a black splinter with legs) jumped out and ran, I managed to squish it but it both scared and worried me. It was in a cross I really wanted too.

Hopefully it was a one off ...

That's worrying, just thinking of what pest we could unwittingly turn loose in this country. (So the seeds were pretty fresh, otherwise the insect would have died?) Also, more reason for AQIS to clamp down on imports :-(
I'm conscious of *exporting* (i.e. across state borders) pests from my own garden--this is a fire ant area, although I haven't seen any fire ants myself. Usually I submerge the cuttings/plants in a bucket of soapy water (using that yellow laundry soap--not detergent). The soap drowns any insects (plain water won't). Anyway, these days it's just seeds ... I would have thought drying them out completely would have ensured there were no insects; perhaps any larvae/eggs still survive? I'm keen to hear other people's thoughts on this.
Funny story: visitors from Melbourne brought me some of their fragrant home-grown grapes. I kept them in the fridge in the sealed tupperware container they came in and found, after a week, one tiny--very much alive and wiggling--snail in among the last of the grapes!

chrissy100 wrote:
cestrum a couple of my Old Apricot x Suaveolens turned a very pale Apricot, they looked like the Sauveolens in shape with a very pale Apricot tinge after a day. I didn't grow out more than the two because they looked the same and I had the hybrids to grow out. I do have some crosses of my own that were unnamed ...Old Apricot was involved but not sure of the pollinators.

This is the breeding equivalent of the unstoppable force meeting the immovable object! As both of these brugs seem to exert such a strong influence on their (first-gen at least) seedlings, in terms of tending to produce apricot and white seedlings respectively. I've just had the first bloom on one of my Dr Seuss X seedlings (pollen donor unknown). It's opened a pure white and I would have guessed from its shape that Old Apricot was the pollen donor, except that it has a more aurea-like fragrance. Perhaps it got that from its Dr Seuss side? I'll have to post a pic later on, if it doesn't get frosted. (BOM predicts a week of near-zero nights.)

Dianne, I take it that PP is Pink Panther? It looked like white suaveolens in the first photo but I can see the definite tinges of pink in the second one. What a promiscuous sociable brug that one has turned out to be :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 27, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9220723

Thanks Dianne.
You would think that being right next to Mango Cornet, PP would be trying to do so much better.
Maybe hes just intimidated by the lovely Mango. ...lol

Yours certainly looks good .
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9220756

i have just looked at the for cast for the next week and we have 3 days under 0oCand on Wednesday night -2oC what a bummer as im still waiting on seed pods to develop
what are my options????
should i wrap the pods up with paper to protect them or just leave them as is and let the weather take it's toll on the pods??????

Cestrum with the export of seed and plants i have never found any bugs ect in any of the seed or plants that i have had mail ordered to me in the last 20 years but there have been seeds that look like they have been attacked and eaten by some thing which i can not find, i would not like to get those fire ants here in Melbourne or even in my own garden as i have heard that they are very destructive and even harder to eradicate.

I have no idea about the influence of either suaveolens or OA on first gen seedling as im learning about them and thanks to all of the work you guys have done in Australia i am learning quickly
Thanks all

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 27, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9220803

You can try to protect them Shaun, I don't know, because I haven't ever done it myself , good luck.
Same here more frosty nights to come ...hopefully not too heavy.

Yes cestrum they were very fresh seeds, but in the past some corks just crumbled away as I tried to peel them,
that was the first and only time a live critter came out of a seed, thank goodness I squished the varmint before it got away. Drying the corks out does not mean there is no moisture, there is moisture left in the seed itself (or it would be dead).
I was thinking it may be a good idea if everyone soaks the seeds for at least a day before planting just in case any tiny eggs are hidden away. This also is a very good reason to at least spot check the seeds.
Re the heavy Gene influence ...I certainly agree.

Dianne the buds fell off my HB ...oh well it is Winter after all. (sigh)

I think PP should have been called Romeo ...the way it gets around and has it's way with innocent blooms *lol* ...we might have to muzzle the blooms if we want to ensure our crosses remain pure ! (make sure you get to the crosses before PP has it's way with them.

Jean I don't blame PP for blanching while checking out MC, (he is telling PP "U can't touch this !")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHAkqCls4A

chrissy

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 27, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9220813

I don't want any fire ants in my garden either, Shaun!! It's just that the area has a blanket declaration because they have been found in some sites. Funny thing is that I rarely have ants of any sort in my pots here, whereas in Melb I found ants often invaded my pot plants.
Dunno about protecting the pods from frost because it's the withering of the branch itself (via frostbite) that can stop the pods maturing, not just frost on the actual pod itself. I have a vague idea that I might have put a paper bag over a treasured pod when I first started out ... hopefully someone else will have the answer for you. It is a bummer! Esp. as spring is just around the corner ...

---Skip this bit unless you're interested in the discussion of an unremarkable single brug ---
So here's my Dr Seuss X, sown Sept 2009 so almost 3 years to flower (in a bucket). I'm sure if it had been growing in a sunnier spot it would have flowered earlier. Has only this single flower and it definitely has an aurea fragrance. Note that I've only been able to detect a fragrance on Dr Seuss X itself in cold weather, and then only the slightest perfume when I've sniffed the bloom up close. So when I said I thought the aurea fragrance might have come from the good doctor, I meant from the aurea genes of its parentage.
1 With that split calyx and those strong tendrils, I thought the seedling resembled Old Apricot.
2 This gives you an idea of the size of the bloom. Plus you can see that the calyx isn't just split once but has multiple splits creating a zigzag effect--somebody tell me what it's called--typical of aureas. Dr Seuss X has it too.
3 Slightly different angle.
4 The calyx is long on this side with a short skirt. So in fact I think the pollen donor is more likely to be an aurea, which makes it Golden Butter. Plus the slightest hint of some yellow in the bloom, although we'll see if this develops or if it stays white.
---
My seedling just proves that we don't always get double coloured seedlings ... but to the breeder, each one is still interesting :-)

This message was edited Jul 28, 2012 9:32 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 27, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9220825

PS I loved the flaming calla lilies in the Olympic torch didn't you ? (that's what they looked like to me anyway)
Well done England ...let the games begin !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 27, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9220838

Sorry our posts crossed cestrum, the bloom is very Aurea to my eye ...I find all of them interesting.
It's the Surprise results that makes them such a puzzle and challenge isn't it ?
Don't forget most of the blooms are very pale at the moment so I wouldn't say it will remain white for sure.
My Heart of Gold is a real gold colour right now so ???? and the usually coloured ones are almost white, so it's anyone's guess when they bloom in Winter.
Congratulations on your latest bloom ...every seedling that blooms is special, each one has a story to tell.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 27, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9220987

I'd like to collect its pollen and cross it with one of my overseas seedlings, to create my own US-Aussie hybrid :-)
The main reason I watch that ABC show Death in Paradise is because of its fabulous Caribbean setting--I'm always honing in on the glorious plants and beautiful beach shots in the background! The Miami setting also makes Burn Notice so luscious to look at ...
Big Floppy Apricot (mainly #2) is flowering now, but both it and BFA#1 have set a lot of open-pollinated seeds. Most will be unviable but, given that they're growing in the same bed as FFA and the double pinks, I might be tempted to check some of them for viable corks :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 27, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #9221080

" Might ????" :-) :-) :-)
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 27, 2012

Post #9221087

In from the garden...
Hard prune and shredding - two hours on the mulcher!
Great organic mulch for the garden is the by product.
Yes, lots of noid pods lost...
Not an issue - too many seeds to grow on and share.

I am concentrating on two pods however...
1. 'Tantra' x my un-registered 'Frilly Dilly' ('Musketeer' x 'Fernando' - Allan Little)

2. 'Twilight Time' (Chrissy) x noid

How could I resist Chrissy? :)
The pod developed - who knows?
I like to think that the Huanduj gods bless our union! :)

Time to nurture and actual growing on space gives me realistic parameters to work with.

The home garden is way overcrowded - a monoculture of Solanaceae plants presents issues of P&D management.

The longevity of my nursery space away from "Flora", depends upon my tenure of employment...
I work at a few different campus here in Sydney, so cannot guarantee nursery space for trials.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 27, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9221091

Wayne , I just went out for a look around between showers.
I found that suavoleons you sent ( remember it was supposed to be Giant)
It has grown very well and at the moment is in the open shadehouse and a mass of large buds.
No bother with the cold weather , it seems .
It is in a pot and about 4' high with a lovely spreading shape.

I also checked the pods on all the brugs.
Sad to say , Shaun, the little pod has fallen off DP&G.
I still have 9 growing well and have a grand pollinating plan for the spring if the brugs all give me flowers.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #9221092

chrissy100 wrote:
Jean I don't blame PP for blanching while checking out MC, (he is telling PP "U can't touch this !")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHAkqCls4A
chrissy

That's funny Chrissy...you can imagine Mango Cornet doing the dance around Pink Panther...

Shaun, the cold doesn't seem to affect the pods if they are reasonably well grown..it only seems to be the little ones that drop off, at my place anyway...
Dianne.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 28, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9221761

chrissy100 wrote: Drying the corks out does not mean there is no moisture, there is moisture left in the seed itself (or it would be dead).
I was thinking it may be a good idea if everyone soaks the seeds for at least a day before planting just in case any tiny eggs are hidden away. This also is a very good reason to at least spot check the seeds.

Would that be 12 hours or 24, Chrissy? I'm thinking that most completely dry CORKS could be soaked 24 hours without problems, but some KERNELS would start to sprout or even disintegrate after being soaked for so long. (I've 'drowned' a few batches of kernels in the past by soaking them 24h.) BTW, did that insect come out of the kernel itself, not the cork?

Wayne, that orange brug is beautiful! Re growing restrictions, in your case they seem to have really focused your attention and produced results (ie first-time blooms) much faster than the same crosses I sowed myself. The silver lining in that particular cloud :-)

chrissy100 wrote:" Might ????" :-) :-) :-)

LOL What will probably happen is that I'll simply be too busy to get around to doing it!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9221830

Hmmm ...the hole was freshly eaten (white) and I was looking at the hole when something came out on my finger and started to move ...of course I got such a shock I shook the the moving stuff (bits of cork) off my finger, then saw the little black critter run, it looked looked like a thrip but longer and it had legs, it was black. I just instinctively squashed it, fearful it could get away, I think it had been in the bean but took off into the cork as I started to peel it. I can't say for sure because it has never happened to me before. The soaking ? hopefully the things may drown if you soak overnight.

Wayne Mea Culpa is inspiring ...you must be so proud :-)
Yes it's something I will be facing all too soon ...limitations with space I mean, but until then ...go the Bruggies !
Good luck with the tenure situation ...hopefully that will continue for as long as you wish it to.

Dianne I had to laugh when I saw MC's daks in that video (the main ones he was wearing) talk about Mango lol !

Jean I bet your Spring show will be a knockout ! can't wait.

Allan I came across your hibiscus fame while googling ...wow ! a hibiscus Guru ! very impressed with your work ! if you use that hybridizing gift with the Brug breeding, I just know there is a great future ahead for Aussie Brugs ...(and the beautiful Hibiscus of course).

I wanted to show you this picture it is an old one but a favourite (it's all a Brug jungle down there now- huge triffid trees)
Bengal Tiger with Zabaglione and Sugar Pink in the background.
Edited to say Wrong pic sorry ...that is Bengal Tiger with Zabaglione background only. (must check first).

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9221843

Trying again ...yes that's the one, Zabaglione is upper part of the picture, Bengal Tiger lower part (with those long tendrils) with Sugar Pink to the left and behind. I remember how thrilling it was to see these pretty darlings.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 28, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9222028

Chrissy.. Thanks for the compliment, but I must however correct you. I am not a hibiscus GIRU!!. I have simply been a very passionate hibiscus grower and hybridizer for the last 18 years. I have had some good results however with my hybridizing. Sadly, my passion for hibiscus has waned greatly in the last 2-3 years as my interest has grown with the beautiful brugs. I hope in time I can have similar success with hybridizing brugs. I agree with you that collectively, with ALL of our hybridizing, the future of brugmansia in Australia looks very bright.

Nice photos of Bengal Tiger!

Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 31, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9225420

Yay it's the 1st of August !

Almost Spring ...2012 is racing towards 2013.
I think everyone is red eyed from the Olympics etc.
Very tired here but raring to go.

When does Spring hit your garden.
Late August here, how about you ?

Happy Birthday to all the horses. :-)

Enjoy your day, it looks a beauty ...the Sun is out, it's very cool but it will get better here.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9225634

hi there guys a bit on the chilli side and a few pics of Munchausen for you
I have just added sanguinea 'Midas' to the BGI gallery

pic 1-4 munchausen
pic 5 is a painting a student did for me in the last 3 months a but all over the place but all in all a good result

Keep warm all you guys it didn't get to the -2oC last night and it wont be there again tonight so the frost didn't do anything this time round

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9226715

Alistair if you are looking in anytime. You will be pleased to know that the library now has a copy of your book.
I have it here, being first in line. I will have a good read over the next 2 weeks and absorb all the info and drool over the beautiful pics.
Now there will even more brugs that I want...lol

Looking around at all my brugs this afternoon, I am so surprised at the good condition of all the warmies after the cold & wet we have had for months.
Yes, there is some yellowing on a lot of the brugs , showing a lack of chlropyhyll due to no sun, but overall, no bald sticks like some previous years.
The only sign that they have been cold is the yellowing and a lot of bud drop, which I would expect.
Strangely, the yellow leaves are mainly new growth and not dropping at all. The only leaf drop is the usual older leaves from the bottom.
I think Arborea was the most cold affected , getting a bit droopy for a while.
On the other hand , the coldies have been very slow and it may be at least another year , maybe two, before I see any flowers.
They are still all around 12" high except for the early grown sanguineas, which are around 3' high.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 2, 2012
12:49 AM

Post #9226733

Jean, you will have to renew that library book at least twice...so much to take in...though there won't be a lot of demand for it for a while, so you probably could call it yours...lol

On the subject of the Sphaeros...I would like everyone's input on their progress.
For me the Vulsa X's that I planted last year in September have been very good growers and all are around 4 to 6ft...they haven't flowered OS until they were around the 6ft mark and over 12 months old...so ours are comparable.

But the ones that I purchased from Alan and planted in October and November have been so much slower.
The tallest is about 30cms...Does anyone have any of Alan's that have done better, if so when were they planted ...

I am going to plant the remainder of the seeds now as the Winter seems to be the optimum time to get good growth and germination...
I think that I made a mistake assuming that they would germinate and grow well in the Spring/Summer period...now I'm of the opinion that heat at such a young age might have contributed to their slow growth
Thoughts please...
Colleen, Jean, Shaun and Lucas if he's around...

Chrissy, I know that you lost yours.
but if anyone has any thoughts on the subject, please post them.
Alistair, if you're looking in, when did you plant yours?
Dianne
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9226736

Jean, it sounds like your local library is ahead
Of its self, great to know that they have been prompt
And have it in so quickly.
I am so glad that your plants are doing well as almost
All if my plants other them DRC have no leaves thanks to the frost
That we had around 9 July, I have been protecting
My pods as I'm hoping that they come through
OK from the winter to the milder weather in spring

I have a few new pods on DRC that were set on 4/7/2012
So Im glad that they have also keeps the pod even after the frosts

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 2, 2012
1:04 AM

Post #9226737

The first Sanguinea flower is open now, I've been a very bad parent lately, it needs repotting and some food...
I'll do that tomorrow...
Old faithful, Buck's Fizz is full of flowers now, it looks very yellow, but none of the leaves have dropped.
If you look to the right of Buck's Fizz, you can see the twins up the top of Pink Panther...the fasciated part has divided and is on the move again...
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2012
3:18 AM

Post #9226767

Lol more " Feed Me" moments ? from the F. PP :-) if it starts reaching for you, better run. I suspect PP wants to take over the World. :)

Jean that's lovely, you can see why the book is not expensive for all the work that has gone into it, I hope you enjoy it, I know you will. It will inspire.

Shaun that painting is wonderful ! ...never mind, Spring isn't far away now.

I am looking forward to seeing the coldies , sorry I can't help there Dianne, except to say I think you may have started them too soon. I would start them in Autumn, if I was to do it again (which I won't). I am sure you will work out what works for you, with them.

My heart is with the warm Brugs because of the generosity of bloom and fragrance. I have had a love affair with them for decades, even before I found out about Hybrids.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9227823

Speaking of warm Brugs ...oh what a lovely surprise, thank you Allan !
I bet some of these dear little corks will yield some pretties for us.Thank you very much.

I hear the sweet song of Spring in the distance ...hope it will be a better Spring this time around.
So much to do, so little time. :-)

It's Friday again ...roll on the Weekend ( more 2C nights Yikes- hopefully it will kill some bugs, not Brugs).

Enjoy !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 3, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9228699

Very pretty sanguinea, Dianne. Although they're not scented, if I lived further south I would be growing them too :-)
My Bucks Fizz is flowering too, despite the winter nights dipping to just below zero for the past two nights. Fortunately the overgrowth, er canopy, seems to be protecting the plants from outright frost damage, fingers crossed.
Lovely soft calamine pink of your Munchausen, Shaun. Pretty painting too ... you have students? (Maybe none of my business!)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 3, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9228718

Glad you are not too effected by the frost cestrum,
I think Shaun may teach young hairdressers to be, not sure though, Shaun might do art classes as well.

Dianne Congratulations on your article in the BGI Herald, I don't think there has ever been such a unique one before.
PP is one heck of a Brug, in more ways than one.
It's a great read everyone !

I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday ...it's almost warm enough to go outside so I am off. :-) ,
The Sun is out ! :-)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9228897

Cestrum & chrissy the painting was a committing
I had a client who was & is doing art for there Uni
And I asked if there were any possibility of getting A
Painting done of these babies this is what came of it.
I am no artist I have 2 left hands when it comes to details
And the fine structure of a painting. I'd rather pay to get them done for
Me
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 3, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9228966

What's a committing, Shaun?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9228971

Thanks Chrissy, it was very easy to rave on a bit about the subject...

I tried about 6 different cvs of Sphaero seeds in Autumn, but they are only a few ins high...
So the Winter planting is my last chance and seeing that the Vulsas grew well, I am hoping that the ones I planted today do well too...fingers crossed.

I hope that sun isn't too far away, I'm sick of the cold now..
Dianne.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9228972

Probably a commission, cestrum...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9228987

Yes thank you Dianne it is a commission spell
Check did not work to well before as I was in the
Middle of work choirs
My coldies are doing well my Vulcan x are about 12"
Tall as are the flava from Colleen, all the others are
Less then so and the ones from the BGI trials are very weak
Indeed but still persist with them, I'm having better
Luck with cold group cuttings 3 weeks callous has formed
On Midas and sang (mrs l)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 4, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9229094

Sounds as though we are all in the same boat with the sphaeros, Shaun...
I had forgotten to mention the BGI trial ones...mine are very small and I started before you...
My poor Tabbies, I ended up with 1.
I expect we will be hearing from some of the OS participants soon, showing us their flowers... :-(

You must be the king of the coldie cuttings...Midas looks very nice in the gallery.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9229606

Dianne, one of my Tabbys went toes up too. I now have one and the 3 coldies.

I love the flowers on the sphaeros but they are such scrawny, fussy plants which dont have the lush look of the warmies.
I will keep all mine but am not going to get into them any further, as I have with the warmies.

Hyacinth Bouquet is still growing her buds here. I am hoping I may see a spring flower on her.
Mango Cornet is still looking beautiful with all the orange flowers.

Strangely, the single flower on PP is still hanging there. Its a pretty shade of pale pink even though its limp and turning brown around the edge.

BB has finally opened a lot of pale flowers and GHA is his usual floriferous self.

My warmies are starting to lose a bit of the yellow now after seeing a little sun.
I will be giving them all a boost with some Dynamic Lifter over the next week or so. Get them all hyped up for spring.
My pods are growing and its very interesting to see the different shapes .

Lots to look forward to over the coming months.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 4, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9229644

Brrrr 2.1 C here at 8.30 ! Frost ...must put another layer on.

What did I say about Spring ?
This is the most dangerous time, frost then warmth, frost then warmth- lots of burning of new leaves can/does result.
Oh well ...crockpot is on,
it will get better, we are expecting 22C on Wed ...but more frost too.
Stay warm.
I am not venturing out there until the frost is gone !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 4, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9229951

This is how PP woos his partners, he holds hands with them...
it's blurry because of the wind but there they were, swinging around holding corolla teeth..
Gosh, how romantic he is... no wonder there are pods all over the place.
The last one was taken just before the rain started, we had a minute of calm...It's a very good Brugmansia is Pink Panther, pink or white...
Dianne

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9229953

Very cute, Dianne.
Nice to see romance in the garden ...lol
He must be a real Don Juan around the place...

Its been blowing a gale all day here, but luckily the wind is from the west and the sheds along that side shelter the bruggies .
Only the very tall OE is getting a bit blown about, but holding up well.
We have had heavy rain showers during the night and all day.

I will throw the Dynamic Lifter around during the week. That should get them all energetic ready for spring..
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 6, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9232585

Frosty night, beautiful sunny day.
Another few very cold nights with days gradually getting warmer.
Lots of yellowed leaves ...roll on Spring !
I won't be feeding my Bruggies until the Frost passes, just in case. I can see the last lot of Dynamic Lifter just sitting there from Autumn.
There is a whole lot of dry grass out there in the fields across the road. Too much fuel on the ground if we get a normal Summer.
I hope you have had a good day everyone.
Not too long now :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 8, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9233868

Ditto as yesterday ...guess I will see all you busy Brug Nuts in the Spring.

Go the Bruggies !
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 9, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9235240

Here is a picture of Buck Fizz, but the colour is a bit dark, it is from Dianne. It only open last night.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9235418

Gena Buck's Fizz is looking good there hope that you get plenty more flowers from it in the next few weeks.
Have you been trying to pollinate your plants in the cooler weather??????

Chrissy & Dianne i have just started to put slow release fertiliser on the seedlings and cuttings that are protected and they look like there taking it in with a very diluted Sea sole Liquid fert like 10mils per letter.

i have only a few blooms at the moment but my dear DRC has many blooms at the moment.

I am wondering if any one is interested in having a cutting of it so that i can register it
DRC if prolific bloomer and dose so right throw the year white flowers to about 9"long i would consider it an aurea look in it's flower but a suaveolens look in the pod so it would have some suaveolens in it from befor i had both varieties that it was crossed with (aurea [Yamina] x.aurea[Diggers] both plants where from the 1990's and i have lost both the parents but now have obtained both again.

I hope all of you are staying nice and warm as i am here in Melbourne cold wet and depressing
Shaun

All pic's are of DRC

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 9, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9235926

DRC is a lovely brug Shaun.
I like the clean white flowers.
You can send a piece here and I'll grow it with GHA. They should get on very well together.
My brugs have still got a bit of yellow on the top leaves , some more that others , but all seem to be growing well.

There are buds coming on quite a few so hopefully, in the warmer weather I should see lots of flowers.

GHA and BB are covered in flower sand buds.
BB is very pale though in the cold.

Hyacinth is s till holding her buds and Mango Cornet is putting out even more buds.
In a few weeks , I decide who moves to the best positions and who is relegated to down the back or out to the orchard. .

My seedlings are growing well in the greenhouse and will be going into pots in the shadehouse soon too.
I am pleased with the way they did well in the very cold weather.

The sphaeros are starting to look a bit bushier and are getting taller. They may flower next year.

Jean.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 9, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9236318

Gena, if a plant had a personality, I'd say that Bucks Fizz is a happy brug :-) There's just something so upbeat about it, and its colour is so pleasing. I remember Chrissy saying that yellow flowers are considered good for lifting people's spirits, but I find that BF's warm orange has the same effect on me. Just a lovely colour.
Do I need another single white, Shaun? I'd say I've got enough of my own! LOL But the aurea genes appear to have given the skirt a rigid waxiness I'd say from your photos, so should be perfect for Jean, whom we've established doesn't like floppy brugs :-)
Not much happening brug-wise, so here's that pink and white salvia coming into flower after a winter hiatus.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9236384

With the right weather Gena, Buck's Fizz will get to be a bright orange, you will notice the differences...
cestrum is right, it is a very happy, bright flower and so floriferous...you won't be able to count them...

I am sure that you will do well with HB Jean, to hold the buds for so long she must be determined to flower.

I spoke to Alan re our Sphaeros and he said that he chooses very carefully so that they flower at a small size, so we musn't expect a lot of growth too soon...so I guess as long as they are putting on some growth they must be ok...

I think that I will start repotting the warm ones soon too, there is a lot of growth going on...
I've been giving them all seasol too Shaun...
Dianne
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 10, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #9236397

Buck Fizz is coloring up nicely, Mango Cornet has a seed pod on, ( hope it holds ) the pollen is from my unnamed apricot, the others did not whole.so Mango Cornet is a good parent and I will try Buck Fizz x Mango Cornet for there is a flower coming out in a day or two.Buck Fizz to be the parent ( pod holder and Mango to be the pollen ). and change around to ( Mango Cornet to be parent to ) and label them so I know what I did.
Buck Fizz

Thumbnail by Gena1234

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9236409

WOW way to go GENA
see there is a possibility that you can be a good parent also by just trying to pollinate in that climate of yours

Those crosses will yield some stunning suaveolen like blooms and some really nice colors if the color trait is strong in the parents

nice to see you giving it a good Aussie GO
Shaun
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9238660

When we moved house last year sadly I left behind my Butter Bomb but thanks to Wayne who kindly sent me a cutting, I now have it again. This photo shows my new plant(in a 8 inch pot) which has already started blooming just 4 months after receing the cutting in the mail. I was surprised to see it bloom so soon considering it had to grow during the Winter months. Very happy to see the first bloom was also a 6 pointer. I had forgotten how wonderful the BB perfume was!!!

Also today I was able to borrow a small heating pad so I have started sowing some of the OS brug seeds as well as some of my own.
Allan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9239237

BB looks terrific, Allan! Such a healthy plant :)
Interesting about the heating pad, as I've stopped using mine since giving up on trying to grow tender tropicals. Here's one of my mini-propagators, kept outside (with the lid on and vents shut) underneath some poinciana saplings, which give it dappled light (the seedlings really do need sunlight in winter) and seem to have protected against frost. They take on average a month to germinate over winter, about twice as long as most take in summer. Remember too the nights here are colder than at your place, and yet the mini-propagator has worked well.

BTW, I'm finding that the brug seedpods pollinated in late March are starting to mature now ...

This message was edited Aug 13, 2012 9:13 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9239255

Cestrum... Your seedlings look happy in the mini propogator and obviously handling your low min temps at night. With bottom heat I would expect to see some of my small seedlings emerge after 8-10 days. I have a small fleuro light above the plastic propogator which should give them enough light until I move them outside to get some real sunlight.

I have a few seedpods on Fernando which were pollinated in early March and still no sign of ripening!! Most of my Mango Cornet seedpods have matured very quickly in about 14 - 17 weeks.
Allan
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9239264

I didn't have any artificial lights Allan, just kept the heated propagator in my (very sunny!) sunroom. But I kept having problems with the indoor seedlings, mainly fungus gnats/wilt. Will be interesting to see if your germination times are so short--keep us posted.
I should have said that these ripening seedpods are the shorter suaveolens-types, probably similar to your MC seedpods if they're the shorter aurea-types. I'm guessing that Fernando has the longer seedpods ...?
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9239272

Yes, Cestrum the Fernando seedpods are the typical versicolor long bean-like pods. If I recall correctly when I lived at Glasshouse Mountains(with similar temps to Brisnbane) my Fernando seedpods took at least 6 months to mature so I probably have another 4 weeks to wait for ripe pods.

Last time I germinated brugs seeds 2 years ago I used small Rockwool cubes and had no problem with wilting(damping off) but this time I am using a seed raising mix. Hope I have good success again this time.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9239311

Alan BB looks good and has done well for you to bloom in just 4 months from the bush from Wayne.

Cestrum those little babies look healthy and quite a few have poped up for you also.

about germination im in Melbourne and only use 3 hot houses and find that even with the very cold weather here i get seeds popping between 10-25 day in the winter well in the march, April, May part of the year, i planted some seed just 2 weeks ago and i see signs of seed emerging from the seed raising mix now.
Seed pods have been holding on for dear life as we had frost in early July and burnt of many immature pods and all the foliage on many plants but the majority of pods were pollinated in March & April and still not ripe but there have been many semi mature pods that have doped with seeds not ripe and not viable still white and not that beautiful bronze brown color i'm used to.
I have just planted 1/2 of my seeds that i have received over the winter so im now waiting for germination

Good luck guys have a great day it's going to be about 18oC here today so out side to do some garden house keeping ready for the spring
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9239324

I think the person who gave me some sanguinea seeds years ago said that *they* took 6 months to mature. That's a different species, of course, but there's no doubt that seedpod maturity varies between brugs regardless of climate. (Like time to first Y.)

I use seedraising mix too but just kept getting problems when trying to germinate seeds inside. I'm wondering if in fact the very cold night temps outside somehow act to prevent the problems I get indoors? But the sunroom is unheated and gets cold at night too, sometimes perhaps only a few degrees warmer than it is outside (it has windows on three sides). Perhaps the absence of direct sunlight (not thru glass) or grow lights has something to do with it? Anyway, I just wanted my sunroom back in the end LOL

Ironically, the mini-propagators aren't watertight even with the vents shut, so when it rains they fill with water. We've had an unusual amount of rain this winter, so I do try to tip (most of) the water out of the mini-propagators when the rain stops . (To get it all out, I have to take all the cells out of the mini-propagator and then tip it out, and I usually can't be bothered doing that.) So the cells of seeds/seedlings spend time sitting in the water and, despite the cold night temps, it hasn't harmed them. In fact, I'll now start adding sand to the base of the mini-propagators so that it stops mozzies from breeding in it while still allowing the seedlings to draw up water from the wet sand. In warm weather, the seedlings in the mini-propagators outside thrive when there's always some water lying in the base of the mini-propagator.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 12, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9239361

Hi Brug nuts ...I had to come back and see if anyone was here and yes !

I just wanted to say Allan, Butter Bomb makes beautiful babies (hot pollen) and sets pods freely, it's a stunner for breeding, I had no idea you didn't have it already, glad you do though. I would be tempted to put it back to Mango Cornet. :-)
My Fernando pods are still hanging in there, I don't think they will ripen until October some time (they set early April).

It will be seedling madness for all of us in a couple of weeks ...I can't believe all my test seeds (grown inside) are still here, truth is I am shocked to find it so. As to how they will adjust to the big bad World ...the 50 I placed out there are all slowly putting out their real leaves (still in the plastic bags). Not a leaf lost, no bites or bugs yet, hopefully they won't be too tender once the bags come off them- This means that some are 3 months old even though still not huge, and I wonder if it will shorten the blooming time compared to those sprouted in Spring. It will be very interesting to see.

Well it sounds we are all going to be very busy over the next few weeks ...good luck to us all.
Can't wait :-)

Go the Brug Babies !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 12, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9239601

It's very interesting knowing what everyone is doing at the moment...all very industrious...
Me too...changed my mind a dozen times over who will be potted and who will be planted...Clementine is now in the garden and Joseph's coat is now in a pot...all the warm ones have been repotted except for the little seedlings, I will wait another month for them...

Talking of which, when I sent some GHA x Angioletto seeds OS, I was worried that they mightn't germinate so I planted 4 in sand, didn't soak them and put them in a plastic bag on a bright but not sunny window sill...that was the 8th of July...3 of them germinated and look at them now in their bag house...2 are tall and one hasn't straightened up yet.
I'm going to put them directly into worm castings and see what happens...

Allan, I have one of each of your R&F x Bergkonigin, Dorthea x Sam, the OS seeds you gave me then Musketeer x Fernando and OA x Fernando...all about 5ft tall, so we should have flowers this year, hopefully...

Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2012 5:49 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 12, 2012
11:41 PM

Post #9239619

How exciting to see someone else doing the plastic bag thing ...isn't it great ? no lost heads :-)

Those plants sound exciting, can't wait to see them do their thing.
Can't wait to see everyone's new babies in fact. :-)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 12, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9239620

Yes Chrissy, it's the first time that I've had success with your sand, it must need the humidity...lost heads hasn't been a problem with mine, it's been the slow germination at this time of year, with the warmies...
I will certainly use this method again...
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

August 13, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9239626

boolarong204 wrote:When we moved house last year sadly I left behind my Butter Bomb but thanks to Wayne who kindly sent me a cutting, I now have it again. This photo shows my new plant(in a 8 inch pot) which has already started blooming just 4 months after receing the cutting in the mail. I was surprised to see it bloom so soon considering it had to grow during the Winter months. Very happy to see the first bloom was also a 6 pointer. I had forgotten how wonderful the BB perfume was!!!

Also today I was able to borrow a small heating pad so I have started sowing some of the OS brug seeds as well as some of my own.
Allan

Hi Allan. Thanks for the note. Glad to hear the cutting did OK.
Your various seedlings are doing OK here... winter.
I will let you know how the seeds you sent go.
Cestrum, seedling reports to follow...
I hope.

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 13, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9239636

Chrissy.. yes I will do a little hybridizing with BB next year. Will keep your suggestion in mind MC X BB. I am glad your test seedlings are still surviving. Must admit I had some doubts about them germinating before Spring.

Dianne..good to hear about your 5 ft seedlings. We will all be looking forward to your results. Hopefully most will bloom in the next 6 months for you.

Happy Birthday for yesterday Wayne!!

Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 13, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9239657

I hope it was a wonderful Birthday weekend for you Wayne :-)

Yes I am a bit shell shocked too Allan, I wish I had known to do it years ago, it would have saved 2 hourly misting and worrying outdoors ! (and the lost heads on some cherished crosses). I recommend this method to everyone (it probably does not need to be sand but it works for me).

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 13, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9239700

I'm still here. but nothing much being done due to sore shoulder.
The brugs are all looking very good considering the cold we have had.

Hyacinth is still holding her buds.
Mango Cornet is still flowering and of course, GHA.

My pods are all growing and hanging on.

BB is now full of pale flowers while my Opale Etoile keeps putting on buds as the wind knocks them off.

I will be like Dianne soon , deciding who goes where in the garden. Some brugs are going in the ground while the favorites get repotted.

I am planting all my seeds in the greenhouse over the next week. Some in straight perlite and the rest in perlite coir mix that I always use.

I have several growing babies that I planted at the start of winter as an experiment. They are looking good along with some larger babies from early autumn. .
All of them will go down to the shadehouse once potted up.

Nice to see everyone getting very busy with brugs.

Jean.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 13, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9240541

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, Jean: you don't realise how much you take good health for granted until something goes wrong!
Can't wait for the 'seedling report', Wayne LOL We'll have to call you the knightii king, as I reckon you might have the greatest number of flowering knightii seedlings among us :-)
Just picked my first (and only) pod off Mya's Fifi (x Golden Butter#2). It was pollinated on 18 Feb and though only a small pod, it's only just matured now. I've sown a few to test for viability, although the kernels certainly look plump and healthy. (They're larger and pale, like most aurea kernels.)

You can see Fifi here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9011530&extraimg=1
And GB#2 here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9011553&extraimg=1

This message was edited Aug 14, 2012 11:40 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 13, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9240810

Can't wait to see the Knightii kids cestrum ...what a treat it will be.
Your seeds sound exciting, I wonder what colour they will be ?

Jean those sore shoulders are the pits ...it isn't a torn rota cuff is it ? very painful.
It should be in a sling if it is. It won't heal otherwise.
Don't overdo things while in pain, I hope it heals soon.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9240879

Dear Jean i hope that al;l is going well after the injury that had accrued to your shoulder get well soon we are all hoping its not a permanent disability for you. L shaun

Wayne & cestrum i hope that all of those Knightii come throw in the spring and bloom for you as we are all waiting on tender hooks for blooms from them.

Chrissy your plastic bag is a great idea but i have been using a container from the reject shop to do the same thing here are a few pics,
I did see on a thread in BGI about the Christmas lights that work as a heat mat and i used mine in the same way the temps stay up where i need them during the winter in doors ans you can see in the pics also

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9240944

if any one can help with the parents of the following?
These are just a few of those varieties that i dont have history for

Calamine
Mya's Fifi
Opale Etoile
Pink Blush
Tintarella

1 or 2 could be spelt wrong also
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 14, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9241515

Shaun.. I like your improvised propogating box! Can only help with one one your list.
Tintarella = GHA X BB
Allan
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 14, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9241545

Shaun, Opale Etoile is my baby. I havent tshared her yet as even though it is a triple, the skirts are not dropping. If it does better this year I will share her.
The parents are Ludgers Windsong x Mon Amour de Mareuil.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 14, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9241557

Inspired improvising, Shaun!
Fifi is Superspot x Phanomenal according to Mya: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7999395
And yet somewhere I remember Mya saying that she'd written it the wrong way around in her posting and that the cross was actually Phanomenal x Superspot (like my crosses, which came from overseas-bought seed that Mya gave me). But I can't find any record of this ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 14, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9241566

Shaun, I have Calamine down as being Wayne's and the breeding is Aztec Gold x noid...

I don't use a plastic bag, mine is an oven bag, they are big and will stand up by themselves.
Dianne
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9241780

Thanks guys that has helped a lot
the only varieties in Australia that don't have parents listed are from the nursery up north every single variety he has is unlisted with the history show who's not a real plant breeder or just don't give a stuff about the history,

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9242757

Pink Blush ? ...don't know that one, Shaun. I suppose when he bred those ones up North, he didn't want to share his cross histories back in those days, I bet he didn't think anyone else would ever try to catch up with him. Some of the biggest breeders don't reveal their crosses (like some great chefs do not reveal their recipes), I find "guesstimations" quite fun (trying to figure out those crosses not revealed to us, I mean.)
After all, even knowing the crosses does not guarantee a similar result, we get such differing results from the hybrids most times. If we are lucky we get some great result, we learn and get a feel for it as we go along.

Can't wait to see what our future brugs will look like :-)

cestrum ...great stroll down memory lane, a lot of Brugs under the Bridge since then.
Miss Mya and Judy a lot, great mates. I hope all is ok in their World after all the awful weather events.

Spring is almost here ! (where I live, I mean.)
Hang in there everyone, it won't be long now !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9242876

Yo Shaun !

Did you see ? Al (BGI) has a bud on one of your crosses already ! 4 months ! Congrats mate !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9243052

Chrissy I'm not sure that the plant is Y-ing it would
Be quicker then any cold group
What is the link as iPhone don't help

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9243056

It has a bud on it and a tiny Y

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/22999-how-many/page__pid__293231__st__80#entry293231

Scroll to the last couple of posts.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 15, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9243138

Wow...Shaun, how about that bud !!!!!!
Remarkable...and the Y looks so strong too...
Way to go, boyo...now we wait...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 16, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9243153

Which cross is this? Surely not from seed??

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 16, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9243157

This info reads this way (cut and paste) for cestrum and Shaun,

Dwarf Pink'n'Green X Aurea (form)
Pod 2/2012
Pollenated 11/11/2011
Collected 4/3/2012
Hybridizer: Shaun
Seed Parent: Al
Sown 4/8/12

Crikey huh !
Congrats Shaun and to Al too.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9243159

Amazing, isn't it...
Just noticed Chrissy, you left the sowing date,the US way...it was the 8.04.2012

Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 7:39 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9243164

Had to borrow the pic, apologies Al...what a strong baby...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9243165

Wow is a word I could use but I won't use the words that came to mind when I first read the post
I am so ashamed of not seeing my own seed flower first
But I'm so glad to see the seed bloom quicker then one of the cold group
So impressed with what al has done on my behalf in the US
So now it's time for the Aussies to get there act together and show what we have to the rest of the BGI family in the coming months

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 16, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9243169

Oi it is Winter in Australia Shaun, of course those seedlings will bloom first over there.
Smashing time though.

Yes hopefully we can entertain our gardening friends over the pond during their Winter.

Yes Dianne I just copied and pasted what Al posted. (didn't want to make a mistake)

They just announced snow will be coming to the Blue Mountains again sheesh !
Hope they are wrong !
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

August 16, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9243784

Hi all.
Cestrum, your Knightii x's budded up, however the cold forced most to drop. This one, K x 'Ecuador Pink' has given deformed single blooms. Maybe next flush will be OK.
Shaun, 'Calamine' is an un-registered seedling of mine, 'Aztec Gold' x noid.
'Tintarella' is again un-registered, it is a seedling I have raised from seed supplied by Chrissy, GHA x 'Butter Bomb'. It is being trialed by Chrissy and Allan. Presently it is in bloom here, along with all other aureas.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 16, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9243856

Snow in the mountains and (another) 27-degree day here!
4 months to flower from seed: unbelievable! Esp. considering it takes most of mine 2 years on average, some 3.
Can't wait to see what the bloom looks like. I'm guessing a small aurea-like flower, probably an aurea fragrance, but dunno about the colour, maybe white or cream ...
Wayne, the photo you sent me is really interesting and I hope the blooms do settle in as the seedling matures, but it's pretty interesting as it is.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 18, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9245986

Here's Wayne's knightii x Ecuador Pink seedling, referred to above. (I've posted it for Wayne because he was having trouble uploading the photo.)
Will be interesting to see how/if the blooms change in subsequent flushes.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

August 18, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9246090

Thanks Cestrum.
The deformity reminds me of the first seasons blooms on 'Clementine'. The pic does not show that the potted plant is under cover (polycarbonate).
Yes, it is a double.
I will try the pic app again.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 1:29 PM

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 1:30 PM

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9246115

Wayne those remind me of Knightii in the colder weather as the bloom wants to keep warm and wrinkles up so it don't get cold
Congrats on the plant coming in to bloom
hope it's something of a keeper
Shaun

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 18, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9246189

That is a curious thing Wayne, nice long petal tips though...can't wait for it to open...
It might be a pretty pale pink like Pink Knight...that has Ecuador Pink genes too...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9246389

Hi there Guys i got a cutting from Brilliant Orange and it's taken root only after 5 days i have not seen any Brug get roots on that quick.
My Question is if Brilliant Orange a Synonum or has it been renamed as some from the grower up north have been changed in the past i just wanna find out about this 1?
could it be Buck's Fizz??? as AKA?

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 1:10 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 19, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9246838

If you look it up in the registry, Shaun...you will see that Steven Prowse is the grower of Brilliant Orange AKA Buck's Fizz...they are one and the same...from US seed hybridised by Susie French.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 21, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9249420

Just checking in after computer glitch,

Great to see the Knightii seedlings coming along ...I wouldn't worry too much about stressed blooms in Winter, poor little things, I guess it is expecting a lot of the blooms to be happy at this time, don't forget they started in cool temps. I have seen Liz describe some of her best as starting out as tangled disasters. It will be interesting to see what happens. Winter stress is common as specially in doubles.

Shaun I thought we had talked about different names in our first Brugs, Dianne is right of course, now write it a hundred times. :-)

I must pay attention in Brug class

Well we have had frosts, but we are expecting 25C today ! so it will be manure ...chook poo and blood and bone over the weekend ...all systems go, it's into Spring we head !!!! Whoo Hooo !!!!

chrissy :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9249622

I must pay attention in Brug Class
i have now seen it in the Bible
i can finid out almost all Synonyms and see in the app 2 page403-408 i had not got that far and had thought that there should be some reference to all of this

I should pay attention in Brug Class

I have got seed to germinate in less then 5 days i could not believe it Maya X.??? this is a feet in it's own right never been so QUICK

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9249631

We have moved to here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276572/
Come on over...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 21, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9249636

:-) :-) :-)

ha ha ha good boy !!! Shaun !
You will remember now ...off to the new thread then :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America