Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Confederate Jasmine- Overwinter Outside in Zone 5b?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 1, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
frumgirl
Champaign, IL

July 18, 2012
12:57 AM

Post #9209718

I have the most lovely confederate jasmine growing as a ground cover in my zone 5b garden. Is there any possible way to overwinter it outside and have it live to see another season?

If not, would it be best to dig up the plants in the fall and bring them inside, or to try to propagate a bunch of clones from cuttings to grow indoors, letting my parent jasmine plants die with the winter?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9209977

Sorry, it would be highly unlikely to survive a winter in your zone--you're 2 to 2.5 zones below where it's hardy so while you could try piling mulch or leaves or something over it I think your chances of success are pretty low. As far as digging up vs doing cuttings, that's really up to you--depends on how much room you have indoors and your skill with starting things from cuttings. If you want something that will be ready to bloom next year I'd probably try digging it up since the cuttings might take a year or two to get large enough to bloom, but there's no harm in trying both approaches, that way if it doesn't survive the digging up & potting then you'll have the cuttings as a backup.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America