Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring: Yes, definitely

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the SpringReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

July 18, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9209770

I collect plants on sale, and then plant them later.
The air may be cool,but the ground does not freeze
until late October here. Thanks for another inspiring article.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9210074

I did it that way too. As long as you keep them watered and fed through the summer (probably better than a store would do, anyway) you're in good shape. And the plants prefer the cooler air (less stressful.) Thanks for your comment.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9210115

works up here as well. I bought three heuchera that looked mostly dead but were viable at the base of the plant. I planted them, watered them (not too much) and now, three years later have huge lovely healthy plants that would have cost 10 times as much in the spring. Thanks for reminding people to shop in the fall just as eagerly as in the spring.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9210208

Not at all--thank you for tending to your plants' needs well! I planted heuchera not even knowing what they were. Today they are so large and lovely that I dig them up and give chunks away.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Mary!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fall is for planting, fer sure vossner 7 Sep 8, 2008 4:35 PM
Gladiolus bulbs Gisforgran 11 Aug 13, 2014 9:48 PM
Fall is for planting CHOOD 7 Sep 9, 2008 9:09 AM
Platycodon in Zone 6 Patches001 2 Oct 1, 2009 2:04 PM
thank you Carrie! JacalynFromCanada 1 Sep 9, 2008 9:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America