Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mia_girl
Pembroke Pines, FL

July 18, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9210095

Suddenly i have tons of these bugs on my desert rose. It has been raining here every day for about a week so I had not checked on my plants. Today i went out and these things have killed all the flowers and are eating the leaves. they are all over it.

does anyone know what it is and how to get rid of? I don't want these spreading to my other plants.

PLEASE HELP! thanks!

Thumbnail by mia_girl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9210278

They appear to be stinging caterpillars...possibly of the Buckwing moth or a relative. Do not touch them barehanded as the spines are connected to poison glands and while not deadly, the hurt like the dickens...akin to receiving an electric shock.

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/f181/buck-moth-caterpillar-painful-nuisance-south-louisiana-46717/
flatpickit
Charleston, SC

July 18, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9210310

These are not "stinging" caterpillars. They are Oleander Moth caterpillars (Syntomeida epilais), and they produce NO pain when handled. It is always good, however, to be cautious when cosidering handling caterpillars.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/6488

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/oleander_caterpillar.htm

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9210651

flatpickit is dead on. happens every year on mine. Bt is a quick organic fix. spray and they eat it and die. they won't spread to other plants unless it would be Oleander or something similar. they are very plant specific. the good news is that your plant will recover, even if every leaf is eaten.

wanted to add a picture of the "Uncle Sam or Polka Dot Moth" which is the adult form of your little cats: /photos/37463912@N06/4667309529/

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 10:44 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America