Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: FENNEL and PEPPERS as companion plants

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 15, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9210196

I have read that Fennel need to be grown on its own, and that is bad to be near other crops.
Well ... it just happened that when I harvested my Fennel bulbs in the spring, I didn't cut down the root enough and the plants started to grow again.
I did planted Peppers in that area, so I just let the Pepper and Fennel grow together !
The best looking pepper plants I have ever had: no pest and great production !

On the third picture you can see: the pepper plants on the right are growing with the fennel, while the pepper plants on the left are all alone with aphids.

So for now on, I will plant fennel (which I love) with peppers !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9210394

That's really interesting! I had heard that about fennel, too, so I grow it off on its own, but maybe I need to rethink that.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9210557

What a lovely accident! Who knew? LOL.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9211036

Absolutely a great surprise !
Maybe, next year, I shall try to grow Fennel (the bulbing kind) between the eggplants to remove those Flee Beetles !

I plan to start my Fennel seeds indoor at the beginning of August. It took forever last year ... but delish !!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

July 24, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9217539

Thank you for sharing that, DrThor! I don't have Fennel bulbs, but something is eating my bell pepper plants like they're caviar. Can't see any bugs on the chewed up leaves, so I'm wondering if it's the smell of the fennel, and perhaps if I sprinkle some fennel seed from my spice rack it might drive the pest(s) away. They haven't attacked the Anaheim chiles yet, and both were in the hothouse when the bell peppers began being munched. I will plant to grow Fennel with my peppers next year, in any event!
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 25, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9217729

Speaking of fennel - is the bronze variety the same as the one you are discussing here? I have some huge plants that come back each year but I have just considered it an ornamental plant. (I have a lot to learn.)
Thanks.
Helen

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9217766

Last year I have planted : Fennel di Firenza
This year i will try more Fennel varieties: http://www.gourmetseed.com/c=6EU2Oc9OO13Ag5poio0yFDOq5/category/gourmet_seed.vegetable_seed.fennel/

helenchild, you are talking about Wild Fennel. Which I have no experience on them.
I plan to trim down my fennel plant as soon as it will get cold again with the hope that a bulb will form.

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9219087

Here is a close-up of the Fennel.
Can you see the trunk? It is long and not a bulb ... because it is just too hot !
So in about 2 months I will trim down again the Fennel stem to the ground and see if it will come back as a bulb with the cooler weather.
Mamma Mia ! it could be a dream !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9219211

Mine are a little taller, too, but they still taste great when cooked. I don't think they really need to be bulb-shaped.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9219286

greenhouse_gal
you are right, you can still eat those long fennel ... but they taste like "empty" and not as rich in flavor as the spring one ... so I am using its leaves and the flowers in my cooking ... love it !

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9219288

Are you collecting the fennel pollen? Great used in cooking.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9219290

How would you use pollen, Darius?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9219306

Yes, I use the fennel pollen in my salads or with fish. I just sprinkle it on top !
fennel pollen = fennel flowers

next year I will try to plant fennel between eggplants ... will it be nice if they could keep flee beetles and thrips away?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9219350

GG: http://fennelfriday.com/going-wild-for-fennel-pollen-recipes/

There's a guy in my charcuterie list who imports and sells fennel pollen for about half the rate it's usually sold.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9219615

Thanks.
I love when he says: There is a reason that Fennel Pollen is called “Culinary Fairy Dust”

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9219626

LOL, isn't that a great phrase... “Culinary Fairy Dust”

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America