Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Tamarix not growing

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarbell
Moscow, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9210262

I bought a Tamarix (summer glow or pink cascade?????) about 4 years ago.It's pretty much the same size and shape it was when planted. I researched their requirements and found drought tolerant, eroded hill sides, sandy loamy soils etc.I planted it in my yard, full sun. I don't know the PH. I dug a hole twice the size and added compost. Nothing!! Maybe a slight hint of pink color in spring but no growth. Any thoughts?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9210861

Have you done a scratch test on the stems? That will tell you if it's even alive or not. Other than that, I don't know anything about them.
sugarbell
Moscow, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9212962

It is definitely alive. It turns slightly pink each spring and then to green.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9215178

Listed as a noxious weed on a few states invasive/noxious weed lists, you may not want it to grow

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9215179

sugarbell wrote:I researched their requirements and found drought tolerant, eroded hill sides, sandy loamy soils etc... I dug a hole twice the size and added compost. Nothing!!

The compost part is what is causing your problem. They need poor soil with sharp drainage and what you are getting is the response to the added compost. Too much of a good thing isn't what this plant wants.

sugarbell
Moscow, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9225070

I don't know if I feel like digging it up and moving it. It's not that big so maybe I will. Thanks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America