Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: Rangoon Creeper

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

July 18, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9210279

I bough a single RC a few months ago and it is producing leaves, tons of leaves! I want blooms. When I got them 2 plants in 4" pots they came with a bloom cluster. How can I get these plants to bloom? This is a single plant and I have a monster of a double that won't flower either.
Regards,
Mickey
Arizona

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9213226

Probably no one knows on this forum, I don't have an answer anyway- did you try posting this on 'Beginner Gardening' Forum? They catch a lot of questions over there...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9213235

I was going to add, when you purchase a plant, the blooms have been forced by giving the plant optimal growing conditions that are exactly it's own water and fertilizer req'ments, taking it home changed that, if you repotted it is growing and settling into it's new home, so the blooms are waiting until the plant has it's roots established and it's strength optimized. There are products out there which help a plant bloom if you wish to use them, they are simply bloom boosters, I won't recommend any because I don't have personal experience with these products. I wish you luck with your RC
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9213436

These plants like the sunshine. If you're placing it in a spot that will offer some shade, try moving it to a sunnier location. I'm assuming you're giving a little fertilizer. I have a huge one. I kept it in full sun last year in a pot. I was watering it twice a day in our 100+ temps. This spring I planted it in ground, but in a shadier spot. Has lots of growth, but very few flowers. Live and learn.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9213689

I think you are expecting too much, too soon. Buying anything in a 4" pot, it has to grow a bit before flowering. Some gardners even pinch off blooms of newly bought plants so they can concentrate on making roots. A plant needs roots and leaves to make the food it takes to produce seed which is what a flower is all about. Like another response mentioned, the grower "forces" a plant to bloom so it is more attractive to the buyer. If the pot you bought was full of roots, the plant might have bloomed due to this condition. Sometimes plants that get potbound will flower in a effort to make seed and save itself, reacting to the cramped condition.
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

July 25, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9218692

My double ragoon creaper is 3 years old now. I'll move it over a little so they get more sun. Our full son is very strong. We don't get any cloud cover so it is very bright and hot.
Thank everyone for their advice.
Mickey
Arizona
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

November 7, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9327201

I moved my single Rangoon Creeper to full sun and feed it and keep it watered and viola it flowered. Now how do I get cuttings to root?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9327259

I've never been able to grow from cuttings. Some people have great success with the seed pods. I've not tried, but they seem to be hit and miss. Glad you moved it to some sun!
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

November 8, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9328456

I had to put in into a larger pot as the pot it was in cracked from all the roots. I hope it keeps flowering. It smells wonderful. I just moved it in to the house and I will keep a grow light on it. We have cold weather coming, I have to get all of my plants moved for the winter.
Mickey
teacup754
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9330229

I don't have space to plant one of these in the ground, but have always wanted one. Has anyone tried it in a 18-24 inch pot and had it bloom?
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

November 11, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9330356

tea cup,
I'm sure I put 2 small plants into a much smaller than that to start. I don't think it is now is that much of a larger pot. I will measure the new pot and re-pot back. The pot was full of roots however. Perhaps when you get the rc in the l;argest pot yu have room for you could start root pruning.

Mickey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America