Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: Grafting onto unknown rootstock?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 3, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JenniferinFL
De Land, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9210692

Long story short, I live in Florida and our recommended rootstock is Fortuniana. I've found a few roses on fortuniana rootstock, but not many.
Anyhow, my parents have a monstrous "own root" white-flowering climber in their yard. It even looks like the photos of fortuniana I've seen. I do not know what it is. I know my dad took three cuttings from a huge climbing rose and stuck them in the sand at his nematode infested home and one of them survived. Within three years it had spread ten feet. 18 years later the thing is a monster which extends 4 feet off his fence on both sides and down at least 20 feet. It would probably even be longer except he periodically takes a weed wacker to it as their poodle has gotten trapped in it a couple times. Its flowers are white, with perhaps a row or two of petals and a bright yellow center.

Having said all that, I am tempted to try a bit of rooting and grafting. I know I can root these as ten years ago I used to just dip them in rooting compound and put them in pots and most of them rooted just fine without misting or anything like that.

Is there any reason not to try using them for bud grafting? I have a few "still kinda alive" own root roses that have been managing to survive for over a decade despite not really being right for our area. I'm tempted to try to graft them onto that vigorous climber and have them for my own yard.

What other things should I take into consideration? I may just keep hunting for a fortuniana to grow for cuttings, but, in the mean time thought that would be a fun experiment.
JenniferinFL
De Land, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9210822

Found an old photo of the rose on my computer..

Thumbnail by JenniferinFL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 18, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9210837

Neat! I think it sounds like a fun experiment. Keep us informed!
JenniferinFL
De Land, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9210891

Well, someone on another forum confirmed that it's Cherokee Rose which has been used in the past as a root stock rose and is one of the parents of fortuniana. So, it won't be too exciting of an experiment after all.. lol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America