Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Beginner Gardening: Broccoli

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
East Greenbush, NY

July 19, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9211135

It has been in the 90's here in zone 5 and my broccoli under row covers looks terrible, yellow and deformed looking heads.
Should I pull it out or wait for side shoots. I have really babied this crop and am disappointed. I only have 3 raised beds and I've given it a lot of my precious space !!! Thanks for help.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9212431

Hi, AnnFran,

Let's see if I can help.

First off, I've grown some broccoli before. My understanding is that it is a fall-winter veggie, that performs best in cool temps. I grew a (2nd) bumper crop last season, in daily temps ranging from the mid-60s down to the high 30s. They grew best in a range from about 45-42. We only experienced a short sustained dip (4 days?) with temps into the high 30s, and they were fine. I grow in Houston, Texas.

When did you start your plants, and what were your temps then? You're in the 90s now which is much too warm for most broccoli plants. I believe you're about to go into your fall season, yes? If so, NOW would be the time to start some seeds or get some new plants. Fill me in on when you got started, and give me a picture of what kind of weather you have ahead for Zone 5. I'm a Zone 9a grower.

We'll get you some broccoli, ok?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9212438

We'll get there, together!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #9213064

Now would be a good time to plant a new crop; although you might be a couple of weeks late. But by using your row covers later in the fall you should get a good crop.

Nothing better then fresh broccoli!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America