Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

July 19, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9211135

It has been in the 90's here in zone 5 and my broccoli under row covers looks terrible, yellow and deformed looking heads.
Should I pull it out or wait for side shoots. I have really babied this crop and am disappointed. I only have 3 raised beds and I've given it a lot of my precious space !!! Thanks for help.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9212431

Hi, AnnFran,

Let's see if I can help.

First off, I've grown some broccoli before. My understanding is that it is a fall-winter veggie, that performs best in cool temps. I grew a (2nd) bumper crop last season, in daily temps ranging from the mid-60s down to the high 30s. They grew best in a range from about 45-42. We only experienced a short sustained dip (4 days?) with temps into the high 30s, and they were fine. I grow in Houston, Texas.

When did you start your plants, and what were your temps then? You're in the 90s now which is much too warm for most broccoli plants. I believe you're about to go into your fall season, yes? If so, NOW would be the time to start some seeds or get some new plants. Fill me in on when you got started, and give me a picture of what kind of weather you have ahead for Zone 5. I'm a Zone 9a grower.

We'll get you some broccoli, ok?

Linda

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9212438

We'll get there, together!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #9213064

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1605.html

Now would be a good time to plant a new crop; although you might be a couple of weeks late. But by using your row covers later in the fall you should get a good crop.

Nothing better then fresh broccoli!

Bruce

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America