Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vj2651
Chicago, IL

July 19, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9211423

Planted some Tomatillo seeds in a pot and put it in my south facing window. The plants have grown very lengthy because of the lack of sunlight. From what I have been reading tomatillos require cross pollination between plants to produce fruit. Since I am growing indoors will I have to self pollinate? Anyone have any detailed info on how to do this?

So far only one plant has flowered but It looks like a few more will in the next week. I attached a few pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by vj2651   Thumbnail by vj2651
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9226107

They like heat n full sun, you prob will do best with hand pollinatio on the tomatillo
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9231853

I started tomatillo seed in serveral pots this spring and two lived to be set out in the garden. The plants got huge (over two and a half feet tall and three feet in diameter) but they never had a single tomatillo on either one. They finally died from being eaten by flea beetles and from the drought we Texans are enjoying again this year : (

I guess I was suprised at how big and beautiful the plants were but didn't get a single fruit. Guess should have tried hand pollination...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9231952

Flea beetles probably kept your fruits destroyed, it does take multiple plants to cross pollinate, crowded up into each other, they are basically a weed farther south so can take a lot of sun, the fruits are tiny at first, like a wee lantern, so study your blooms carefully.
vj2651
Chicago, IL

August 7, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9232761

I tried hand pollinating but haven't seen any results yet. The plant is growing like crazy and I wont be able to keep it in my apartment much longer. I will update if I see any fruit.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9232939

Weather it off, if you have several plants, tuck them up beside each other and shake em together, make em think they are being attacked, chuckl, Mayfair they will respond as several other weeds I know and kick into survival mode, then just be patient- they do need grown as close together as possible tho.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9233326

Anybody know an effective way to get rid of flea beetles?

My two plants were right next to each other and their branches intertwined. It may have been a pollination problem anyway since I didn't see many bees.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9233342

DE? Don't think bees matter tho
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9233797

Okay, don't need bees I guess. (I was just trying to figure out why they didn't produce a single fruit for me.)

DE is easily blown away by the wind so I have not used it much here in Texas - but I will try it again next year (if it finally rains in Texas and looks like it is worth having a garden.) Thanks Kittriana

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9233916

You MAY have had too much wind tho, nex summer they may grow great, but I'd go for several plants.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9235120

Will do.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America