-
AuthorContent
Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9211711

I'm looking for a nice red rose with good repeat bloom that would be suitable to run along a section of white picket fence. Nothing too vigorous or large as the area is only about 8" wide. Fragrance would be nice but not a necessity. I had considered Dublin Bay but already have one in another spot. Soil is sandy, summers are hot and humid, and I prefer not to spray. Thanks for any suggestions.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9211747

I have Dublin Bay too!

Tess of the D'ubervilles would be a fine choice. Not too rampant, no disease, and it grows 6-8 feet. The flowers do not fade. Japanese beetles are not interested. Cutter bees will take a few nibbles, but if you are like me you'll find it charming. The second picture shows you its size during one of the few periods when it is not in bloom. The third picture is THREE days later.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. A great rose. I moved, and I'm buying it again.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9212337

Tess is a beauty! It seems to have all the attributes I'm looking for. I will need to find a plant grown on its own roots or on Fortuniana as roses on Dr. Huey rootstock don't like our sandy soil. Thanks DonnaMack!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9212407

Glad to help!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9212498

Pinetucky, I got my Tess from Chamblee's. They sell own root.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9212526

Pinetucky,

That's a great recommendation Terri is making. Mine is not own root. I bought it years ago from David Austin via White Flower Farm, and I'm sure it's grafted (but great). Given a choice today, I would either get it from Pickering ($15 but you have to buy three roses, however the shipping for 3-4 roses is $18.00) or I would buy it from Chamblees. I got a smashing one gallon Glamis Castle from them earlier this year that is absolutely rocking out. With the shipping it was $30 but if you only want one rose, especially considering it is own root, it is definitely worth it, and I think that Terri's recommendation would be the way to go.

I had never ordered from Chamblees before Terri recommended it, and I am very happy that I did. And you are in her zone!

Donna
Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9212899

Thanks Terri and Donna. I have ordered from Chamblees before and have been very pleased. Two more of my favorite sellers, Roses Unlimited and Angel Gardens, also have Tess. Like Pickering, RU would require a minimum order of three plants (gives me an excuse to buy more roses). Some complain about their shipping charges but shipping from Chamblees is a bit higher for me. Do you think planting now would be okay or should I wait until maybe September to order once the weather cools a bit?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9212910

I am not in your zone, but I wouldn't order now because shipping might be a problem in the heat. And you would have to monitor them closely. I would wait until September. I hear wonderful things about Roses Unlimited and Pickering from Peter Schneider, the author of Right Rose, Right Place (I just attended a talk he gave).

There are several terrific companies but if you can order 3, Pickering might be your best bet. They send big bareroots (I receive them in April and they bloom in June) and shipping for as many as four is $18. Whereas Chamblees will charge you $18 to ship one gallon, which is much smaller than Pickerings bareroots, or at least that was the case a couple of months ago (a wonderful rose Pickering didn't have) which I put into a pot.. I ordered from both this year. And I order from Pickering whenever I can order at least three. They will reopen for orders in September, which is when I'm going to get mine.

Aren't we lucky that there are so many great choices?
Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9213260

Yes, I may have to give Pickering a try. I've never had a rose on multi-flora rootstock, so it would be great to find some grafted roses that would do well here.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America