Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carnivorous Plants: My baby D. indica's

Communities > Forums > Carnivorous Plants
bookmark
Forum: Carnivorous PlantsReplies: 31, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

July 19, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9211839

I have several 100 seeds of Drosera planted but for some strange reason I am quite fond of the baby indica. So have a looksy at the wee plants in my pic. There are actually around 15 that sprouted in this pot but I cropped it in to only show the 2 biggest and 2 newly emerging.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 8:01 PM

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 20, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9212112

Who'd ever suspect that those tiny things would grow up into such monsters. Well ... to some insects that is, LOL.

That must be a fairly widespread species. It's native here, I've got lots of it growing naturally on my place.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 2, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9227383

Here's an update on my indica seedlings and now actively digesting fungus gnats!

ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9231938

How did you germinate them? I have had terrible luck trying to start D. indica from seed.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 6, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9231985

I used my custom cactus soil I make and let them sit outside for 1 month with no water and temps in the upper 90's to low 100's. I then moved them indoors under T-5 HO tube and began a watering tray allowing it to dry for a few days between filling. Temps varied between 74-78 for 1 month at which point I had 4 germinating. I then took them off the watering tray and let them dry out again but this time indoors and 1 week later I had roughly 20 germinating. As of right now and a little over 2 months I have all 50 seeds germinating and growing.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 6, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9232061

Mine grow wild in my collection and seed themselves. I love indicas. :)
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9232445

Thanks, I will give it a shot!
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 6, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9232481

I've heard others talk about D. Indica germination and applying heat instead of cold. I just lightly followed the native growing areas and replicated as best I could in our climate.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 10:27 PM
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9232484

Try using shade cloth.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9232489

Oh, I top water my plants every morning too when it is hot, that helps a lot. My darlingtonia look great despite the recent heat waves. Helps to have a larger pot too.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 6, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9232500

Yea I always wondered how you guys out in Cali grow them in such low humidity. We have decent humidity even in Summer but the high temps of 105-110 just cook nearly everything. Shade cloth works but I cannot use it out front without the HOA freaking out. Then the night temps still cook everything from the heat of the day.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9232556

Humidity is not really a huge deal for me, VFTs seem a little more sensitive to it, I just increase the water level and make sure the soil stays pretty moist. If the soil is moist it will help improve the ambient humidity. Most of the sarracenias look pretty dang good right now. My camera is out of town or I would post a picture. Of course, I am not sure if humidity or temperature is the greater problem. C3 photosynthesis has problems both when it is too hot and too dry both are likely to be contributing factors. My experience has been that humidy does not seem to be as big a deal as a lot of people think- bit it does matter to a degree. I did an experiment growing two Nepenthes hamata globes side by side, one in a high humidity terrarium (about 90%) and one in ambient humidity (about 20% at the time). Both pitchered alright but the one in the heliamphora terrarium developed much much nicer pitchers and grew a lot faster.

I have been kicking around the idea of installing a mister out on my sarracenia table. Also been kicking around the idea of converting an old bird aviary into a sarracenia conservatory to see how they would grow under a tad more shade and some mist jets.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9232557

Globes=clones
Stupid kindle autocorrect
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 7, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9232978

Don't you love autocorrect?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 7, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9232991

I agree that high temps are much worse than low humidity. Please post pics when those plants get bigger.
C
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 7, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9233305

Will do.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 7, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9233311

I look forward to seeing them (if I end up subscribing at the end of my 2 week trial of course)
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 7, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9233354

I hope you do subscribe as I will have 100's of Drosera, Sarracenia and Dionaea seedling pictures to post over the next few months.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 7, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9233782

Nice! What do you have going besides the indicas?

My other half has my camera and is out of town for the next week. I have a bunch of Pinguicula vulgaris seedlings I started a couple of months ago I could snap a photo of. First time ever growing pings from seed.

I have a bunch of carnivorous seeds I want to start but am waiting for some space to free up in my grow area. I would really like to track down some seeds or plants in the drosera petiolaris complex. Very weird looking plants.

Either way, I did pick up the stuff to build that "sarracenia conservatory" that I was talking about (assuming I can find my irrigation tubing). I plan to start building/converting it tomorrow, I will post photos when I am able sometime next week. Its going to be pretty cool I think.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 8, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9234034

Funny that you mention plants in the Drosera petiolaris complex being very weird looking. They're native to this area and I have a lot growing on my place. To me they seem like your average looking Droseras.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 8, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9234243

Oh yeah! I have looked at your grow list a few times! As I recall you have some really cool stuff.
Have you seen cephalotus in it natural habitat? If so, that must be an amazing site. I have only seen pictures. It would be cool to see stylidiums in their natural habitat as well.

Lucky you, I love Austrailian flora. Im currently on a tuberous drosera kick right now. You guys have some cool stuff growing there.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 8, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9234457

My seed grow list is enormous but here is the list so far.

Sarracenia

S. flava
S. leucophylla
S. psittacina
S. minor
S. ( flava v. ornata x oreophila ) x purpurea ssp. venosa v. burkii
S. x 'Gin Goblin'
S. purpurea ssp. venosa 'Red Ruffles' x flava v. atropurpurea
S. ( x godzuki ) x ( x extreme unction )
S. ( x willisii x oreophila 'Sand Mt.' ) x pururea ssp purpurea 'New Jersey'
S. (x godzuki) x ( x Adrian Slack)

Darlingtonia californica

Drosera

aliciae
peltata
affinis 'Namibia'
admirabilis
dielsiana
sp. Pretty rosette, Africa
spathulata var. lovellae
trinervia
burmanii
coccicaulis
nidiformis 'Pieternaritzburg, SA'
intermedia red form, Gran Sabana
arcturi
capensis "Pink flower"
indica "White flower"
indica "Jacky Jacky"
curviscapa
hookeri
auriculata
macrantha

that pretty much sums up this months planting regimen.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 8, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9234466

Here is a pic of the largest D. Dielsiana x Natalensis seedling thus far.

perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 8, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9234483

I got a little bored yesterday so I decided to play with my digital art abilities once more and this is the result.

D. intermedia x capillaris flower

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9234672

Do you grow all your Drosera outdoors in the summer?
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 8, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9234718

I see you have a couple of tuberous species there, have you successfully gotten them to germinate? Some of those can be tough.

Very ambitious grow list. I look forward to seeing the results.

By the way, have you germinated the drosera trinervia? I have a bunch of those seeds I want to grow out but have not started yet. I was told a good strategy is to keep them cooler. Don't recall if they want a host stratification or not, I would suspect so. If you have had success I would be interested in any tips you can provide. Drosera hilaris is another one I need to get going. Perhaps I will work on that tonight...
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 8, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9234719

No I grow all mine indoors after I lost two rarer hybs just a few months ago outside.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

August 8, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9234726

I can break down some of my strategies and experiments in germinating the various seeds but it will take some time to do so and even longer waiting period. I have maybe 5 of the Drosera list that has germinated, and all of the Sarrs and Cobra Lily. The rest are newly planted as of this week and not expecting anything for a few weeks to months. If your still around the results will be posted in this thread.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 8, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9234727

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, I grow a few outdoors (mostly binatas and filiformis varieties) when the temps are lower but for the most part all of mine live inside under lights. I have a whole setup. I am actually building a CO2 injection system for the indoor plants today as am experiment. Once I get that shaded sarracenia thing done I will give some of them a shot outdoors as controlling the temps and humidity will be much easier.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 8, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9234731

If its convenient for you, that would be great.

Not sure how familiar you are with tuberous drosera but expect up to multiple years for germination. Supposedly scarifying the seeds can help. I have not tried it yet.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 8, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9234734

By the way, have you tried drosera regia? Great plant! Can be challenging to grow kn warmer climates and getting it out of the seedlings stage can be a challenge at times but well worth the effort.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

November 6, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9326246

Here be a glimpse of my D. indicas and flower

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm   Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carnivorous Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vegitarian Plants BogweedBuck 15 Aug 1, 2008 9:14 AM
You all have got to see this! Equilibrium 21 Oct 15, 2008 5:40 PM
Philcula, bog pot or ground bog for new sarracenia hybrid GSkinner 36 Jan 17, 2010 7:35 AM
Let's make a little bog garden! Pixydish 31 Oct 4, 2007 3:17 AM
A couple of my CPs I have yet to kill off Gerris2 9 Apr 28, 2007 7:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America