Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: GE Refrigerator Cooling Problem

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 7, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9211900

We have a GE Model GSS25JFMC side by side refrigerator/freezer that will just not get really cold in the refrigerator section any longer. It's one of the models with the "Smartwater" filter in the top part of the refrigerator section (which hasn't been changed in a long time, but I have an emergency cut-off in case it cracks, which it did at one time a long time ago).
Freezer keeps food cold, ice maker works fine, cold water and ice dispenser/s work fine, the little vent down at the bottom in the refrigerator section is on the coldest setting; I clean the coils and section under the refrigerator really good at least once a year, and it hasn't been 4 months since they were cleaned.
The appliance has worked fine in it's present location for a long time, and is 8 years old. This just started about 2 months ago; it keeps water and drinks cold, but at one time, we had to be really careful or these items would actually freeze.
Both settings (freezer & refrigerator) are on 9, the coldest settings. I've unplugged the appliance for about 30 minutes, to see if something needed to reset or whatever, and have changed the temp settings down to 5 or so to see if that somehow would reset something, but nothing has worked, and I'm about out of ideals. The unit is still very functional, but is just not keeping things in the refrigerator section nice and cold like it did at one time.
Any constructive comments appreciated. Thanks !
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9211910

When I had this sort of trouble with my fridge, it was a problem with the defrosting system. If you google for problems with refrigerator defroster you will find some suggestions of things you can do to test out whether this is the problem or not.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9212415

Hard to say. Normally if its a problem with the defrost or evaporator fan, the freezers performance will decline and you'll get severe icing.
Sorry I can't help. My suggestion is to go the GE website and put in your model number. Look for technical or service documents. It should have a troubleshooting section that you can check.
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9215829

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestions and share your knowledge.
I kinda' got to thinking about it again too, after I had posted this, and was wondering if
possibly I had hit something, knocked something off, obstructed a hose in some way,...whatever,
when I last cleaned it.
BTW, the comment about the inside filter not having been changed in a long time: that's probably because along with the emergency flow protector, I also added an external filter.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9215891

if someone has ever slammed it against a large object, pulled it out from the wall by the door or otherwise forced the door to close, the door's hinge plates may have shifted enough to pull the seal away. Inspect the seal closely - expesciallt at the 'back' near the hinges.

Close the door against a strip of paper at several points around the seal ,all 4 sides of the door. You should feel similar resistance when sliding the paper strip out.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9222110

In mine; it was the fan that blows the cold air from the freezer side to the refrigerator side. It wasn't hard to replace - it was inside the freezer compartment behind a panel.
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9244141

It's been a while, but JuneyBug, I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head ! I noticed a lack of circulation, and was able to get the fan to working (not sure what the problem was), and the last time I checked the refrigerator temp, it was down to 34.
Thanks !
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9244291

Glad that you fixed it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America