Thumbnail by kygreg2000   Thumbnail by kygreg2000
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9212062

I never heard of this one before but after googling for more information on it am intrigued. It seems seeds are hard to come by . Where did you get yours and how did it taste for you?
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 20, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9212137

Notice that his picture is labelled yellow strain and that's b'c there's Holy Land, a red, and Holy Land Yellow Strain, a gold/red bicolor.

I didn't do any Google searches for seed sources, if there are any for Holy Land or the bicolor one, but can give you some background links to look at.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Holy_Land,_Yellow_Strain

The yellow strain is the most common one and I grew it years ago and probably still have some ancient seeds around here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/883290/

... the above from here at DG, note the date on the thread

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0108490620505.html

...from GW.

Probably the yellow strain one is no different from the plus 200 named gold/red bicolors already out there, but while I know I grew it my memory doesn't go back that far. Heck, my memory was perfect until only about two weeks ago. LOL

Carolyn, who does remember that there used to be some interest in the Holy Land one that was supposed to have come from Israel, and also interest in some Hollyhock seeds that were brought back from Israel at one seed site. but I think the interest was more religious than associated with anything else.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9212343

Thanks for the info. I had already checked those sites. But as you say there are many other bi-colors that are probably as good. I just love to try new varieties and see for myself in my areas!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9212545

Very nice tomato Greg
Today I picked two White Beauty's they are not white nor are they beauty's . Big one is 33.4 oz the other 24.5 oz
This is a very mild tomato, low acid but with a lb of bacon, pint of mayo, tow heads of lettuce, I could feed a lot of people. ^:-)^

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 20, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9212645

rentman, White Beauty and other so called whites are not low acid at all as so many seed sites say. They have the normal pH that most other varieties have but the increased sugar concentration of them masks the normal acidity.

There are very very few tomato varieties documented by doing actual pH values that are low acid and one of them is Jet star F1, which I happen to love. Quite a few years ago there were about 20 low pH varieties introduced and that one is about the only one remaining.

And b'c there were lots of problems with some of those low pH ones in terms of boulism, since it thrives at low pH, the recommendation went out all over the place that when canning Jet star F1 via the open water bath method that the contents needed to be acidified and lemon juice was suggested and amounts stated.

Using a pressure cooker was Ok b/c it inactivated the botulism spores.

Carolyn, formerly an infectious disease Microbiologist who taught med students for many years. ( wink)
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9212655

Carolyn, what is the adv. ph of a tomato ?
I will check this one tonight.
kygreg2000
Hopkinsville, KY

July 20, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9212965

gardadore wrote:I never heard of this one before but after googling for more information on it am intrigued. It seems seeds are hard to come by . Where did you get yours and how did it taste for you?

I got the seeds from Earl Bassett, probably at Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center get together in Berea, KY. Dr. Bill Best, professor emeritus of Berea College, is the president and sponsor of this event. The SMAC specializes in heirloom vegetables, especially beans and tomatoes.

This year we plan a seed exchange at Maria’s (blueribbontomatoes.com) house the day before the SMAC get together.

Some of the particpants at last year's event had seeds of several thousand varieties.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2012 9:44 PM
kygreg2000
Hopkinsville, KY

July 20, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9212969

rentman; would like to try to white beauty if you want to trade seeds. Any chance you will attend the Berea get together this year? You are pretty close to it.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9224898

OMGosh, I'm salivating! I will not have anything like that this year, so I am totally enjoying these photos. All of this high heat and humidity, followed by days and days of rain - repeatedly - have made a mess of my garden. My Dad's Sunset and Amazon Chocolate have some biggies on them, but everything else is coming in way smaller than they should be, and with lots of split skin. Bummer!
kerryb
Danbury, CT

August 3, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9228346

Sequee, I am in Danbury and although I have had splitting problems, this has been my best crop yet (Sorry :( for you). I think the problem with the weather is that all the storms have been very localized where you have gotten deluged and I have been lucky and just gotten enough to properly water them. I just picked an Earl's Faux and that was 17.6 oz. Never grew it successfully before so I am happy!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America