Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 19, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9212022

My Sedric died yesterday. I had made up my mind I was going to let him go because he was suffering so. After the blood work the vet called and told me his BUN count was 166 and its best to let him go. I told him I would call him the next day. I went to check on him and I thought he was dead. I called the vet back and told them he had died and they told me to bring him in. He wasn't dead, but he was dying so the Vet euthanized him. I wanted him to die at home, It was so hard leaving him there. I wanted to bring him home, but I could not afford to cremate him.
I really think they could have done more. I was so busy researching feline diabetes, I did not think about researching Renal failure. I dont know why he didn't ask to do blood work sooner. They even forgot they told me to take him off insulin two months ago. OMG do you have to be rich to get decent care for your pet? I am not getting another pet its too hard when you dont know what going on with them. I still have Sara and she is still searching for him ... it hurts really bad.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
12:24 AM

Post #9212075

Im so sorry Sylvia. It hurts so much. My heart goes out to you. Marty
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9212123

Oh... Sylvia! I am so sorry you and Sara. It is always hard to lose a loved one whether it has two or four feet.
Hold Sara close and know that Sedric is no longer hurting. My thought and prayers are with you. Kristi

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9212139

Sylvia I am so sorry, I know that you loved him so much, he had a wonderful life with you and a was very lucky kitty to have you as his Mom.
God Bless you my dear.
Josephine.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9212242

Oh Sylvia, I'm grateful he had a peaceful passing, but so sorry for you and Sara. He was a very lucky boy to have you in his life.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9212458

OH MY GOODNESS, SYLVIA !

i am so sorry, I feel for you and Sara !

Seriouslt, I was just thinkin about Cedric
yesterday.

I am sure he is in kitty heaven and will be looking
after you as your guardian angel.

Kitty O sends you licks and purrs and I send you
sad hugs

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 20, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9212535

Sylvia, I'm sorry you had to lose your love . It's always so hard on the parent . I am just getting where I can talk about Pepper, and it hasn't been three weeks . He always growled at our cat , so maybe Cedric will teach him some manners when they meet across the bridge .Cedric was a beautiful cat , mine isn't so friendly .

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9212635

Sylvia, I am so very sorry. Losing a beloved pet is the hardest part of having them in our lives. You gave Sedric a very good life and may his memory fill your heart with love and only good memories. Here's a hug for you.

Wherever a beautiful soul has been,
There will be a trail of beautiful memories.

Carla

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9212872

Sylvia, I am so very sorry for your loss. Sedric was so loved and he knew it! Please don't play the "woulda, shoulda" game. You are a great pet parent and your kitties are so fortunate to have you. I hope that you are able to share your grief with Sara and help you both heal. I lost my beloved Callie to renal failure in Dec, 2010. In the end, I knew that trying any heroic attempts to save her would only extend her suffering. It was a difficult decision for you to have Sedric put to sleep, but it was the most loving thing you could do.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9213029

How very lucky you were Sylvia to have Sedric's love for all those years...and when you are ready he will visit you in your dreams. My first cat still pops in every now and then just to say hi to me in my dreams. There is a connection of Love between you and Sedric that will never cease, so remember the good times with him and he will be right there with you in your heart.

My kitties and I send you lots of hugs and love.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 21, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9213189

Sylvia , I hate to ask at this stressful time , but what would your vet charge for cremation ?
austinram
Midlothian, TX

July 21, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9213213

I'm so sorry for your loss.

- Austin
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9213952

Losing a four legged family member is so sad. Just be at peace knowing that you gave him a good life.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9214153

Having worked for a vet, it is hard for them to tell you that there is nothing more they can do for your pet as it is for you to hear it. It is so heartbreaking to loose a pet that you have grown close to like your Sedrick boy. (( Hugs)) to you my friend.

One note to all pet owners...We recently had several vets that I haven't like for one reason or another. Then we took our dogs to Pets Mart's Banfield vet office. Their office is clean, vets and office persons are great, they are very informative and thorough. Also we signed up for a welness package that they have. There is a set payment that includes all vaccinations, office exams, tests, and so much more...check it out.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9214291

Sheila, have you been to Dr. Cass up by the Albertson's on South Drive? That's where we take our cats and we really like her. She also doesn't charge an arm & a leg and she encourages "common sense" approaches.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9214729

Yes, we did a year or so back try that one. I stopped in one day to pick up some heartworm preventative and was told I should have called first! They sold it to me but made me feel like an interruption to their day. No problem with the vet just the attitudes.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 28, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9221586

Hi Guys! Thanks so much for your sweet thoughts. Sara and I are doing much better now. Every once in a while we think we see Sedric but we get over it. I had picture of Sedric on my desktop, but I had to move it. I always start wondering where did I go wrong, did I not ask the right questions? Linda was here last night and asked me why didn't I ask to see his chart? Then I think back to how long he must have been in pain, all the times he was isolating himself. He was such a good kitty, he still struggled to get in the litter box when his hind legs went out. I realized it was time, but I wanted him to die at home. I thought he was dead when we pulled him out the bottom cabinets in the kitchen and the vet told me to bring him in. He wasn't dead so the vet put him to sleep at this time.
Digger it would have cost me 130.00 to cremate him.
Sheila, I should have called you a long time ago about Vet behavior. I was so confused. I often wonder why they told me to take him off the insulin. I was not thinking renal failure, I was still thinking diabetes. His BUN count was 166, the highest normal the vet said was 53, why didn't he ask to do this blood count earlier?
Stephanie I am trying to stop asking myself these questions and I know I will one day. Someone ask me about a second opinion, this doctor was the second opinion. The first vet had him for three days and did not find diabetes. My internet vet told me this when I question why he was drinking so much water and flooding the litter box. She told me he was not getting enough insulin ... insulin? for what? ... and then it all started.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9221644

Sylvia, you did the best you could and you loved him very much, you were both lucky to have each other for a while in this world, be happy with your Sara.
Josephine.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9221696

Sylvia, You need to stop second guessing and beating yourself up over this. It probably doesn't feel good, and therefore is not good for you. It's just making you miserable...NOT a good thing. Pets come to us to give us unconditional love, and when they are ready, they leave. His gift to you was love...remember that. And when you see him out of the corner of your eye, know that the love is still there between you. Love never dies.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 28, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9221756

Wish I could hug you . Our pain and ignorance is part of loving a helpless animal . You did everything you could , depending on the "experts"for good advice . How could you have known better ? If Sedric could , he would tell you to go forward and just remember him with love , he did his job on this earth and you did yours . I firmly believe we will meet our friends again .
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9222229

It is so sad to lose a pet. It is natural to wonder if you could of done something different. You did the best you could with what you knew. All the comments above are good advice to follow. I hope the pain lessens soon.
On the subject of vets... We had a wonderful "country boy" vet who unfortunately died suddenly. When my dog had an ear infection, we went back for a check up and were charged for the quick look. I guess this is standard practice now
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 29, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9222684

With too many of them , it's all about how much they will make . Sad , but everyone needs more money .
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 2, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9227187

I want to thank you guys for all your concerns condolences. I am doing much better and looking for a Maine Coon/ Rag-doll cat to keep Sara company. :)

Love Yall
Sylvia

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9227255

:-))

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9227260

I am glad you are feeling better Sylvia.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 2, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9227560

Sylvia , I lost my Pepper , long haired chihuahua one month ago yesterday . I've since gotten a female Jack Russel and went to our no kill shelter yesterday and couldn't resist , came home with a tiny female chihuahua . She tries to run the house and does a darn good job of it . She settled in right away and is in my chair , behind me right now . She was found dumped with a young puppy that looked like a cross between her and a pug . He had been adopted already .How anyone could dump such a love is beyond me . She's about a year and a half old , maybe two .
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away , then the Lord giveth again .He certainly has ,even tho I swore , "no more pets when these go , no more " Guess he 's the boss .
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 5, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9230405

Sally, I dont believe I signed up with the Maine Coon rescue squad. I got a email with pages of all kind of kittens. And best of all this place is very close to me. I want to go take a look, but I am scared I will come home with more than one cat! They all have had their shots neutered and spayed. Most are free. some cost 50 to 150.00. I am glad I dont have any money! lol
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 5, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9230890

My ddil 's two female cats drug up 13 kittens . I've been on her tail for four years to get the females spayed . Finally , this seems to have gotten through to her .
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 6, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9232454

Very sweet lady called me today. I filled out their application last night , in PDF I will have you to know! Very lengthy! I had to tell them who my vet is, how many cats I have owned and what happen to them. What will I do if I have personality problems? What if I have to move? I said Lady I brought a deaf cat from NY to Florida on a airplane, what can I say? My cats go where I go. if they cant go, I dont go! lol Also they called Dr Carroll for to find out i he will take a Voucher, Can you believe it? Now all this is not free, its going to cost me at least a 100.00 ... way to go Sylvia ... you still owe the vet remember? :)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 7, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9232831

Stop and think , Sylvia , they only want to know that the animals will be going to a responsible home .You wouldn't believe the lies people will tell .
When you see the horror stories that come up from adopting out and never following up on the adoptee , you'll be grateful they are doing their duty to the animal . Helps to know they are giving out healthy animals too .
My Lucy chihuahua came with a micro chip too . All for 100.00 On the other dog I still have to pay 35.00 for the certificate to get the J Russel given to me spayed . It was 45.00 yesterday for her rabies shot and a heart-worm test .I'll give the other shots, 10.00 dollars or less from the feed store .20.00 for a micro chip.Still have to have her checked for internal parasites and treat accordingly. should have had that done yesterday , but wanted to clear her of heart-worms first . It will end up costing about 175.00 before it's over and you got all that for 100.00 through the rescue , as I did on my chihuahua .Much cheaper to adopt than do it on your own .

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9232963

Sylvia and Digger, I am so happy to hear that you are opening your hearts and your homes to rescue animals. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet ... but giving a second chance to another furry friend does help to ease the pain.

Carla
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 7, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9233130

The main reason I want to win a big lottery is to set up a trust for the heirs down the line , then gifts for my friends that need a little boost, like pay off thier homes , or give a new one . A better income each month so we can be a bit more comfortable . A huge trust for several "Homes for Life " shelters on acreage . Maybe I could buy off a president and get some tougher laws for humane treatment for animals . Mandatory spay and neuter, free. Breed only for licensed breeders , mutts welcome, for the ones that prefer a cross breed . license to own any pet, and on and on . All these rescue groups need funds , but it will never element the problems . It would have to be federal laws ,so the states couldn't wiggle out from the responsibility of enforcing the law for the good ole boys .
Don't get me started .
I was so ignorant to the problems until I actually started getting involved with our local humane society .
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9233752

Ahhh ~ a dream of mine should I win the lotto. I would have vets on retainer so anyone could have their pets neutered or spayed at no cost. I would provide shelter for those that are dumped ! Oops wait! I already do that. Two dogs and eight cats later... I keep saying I don't need more but then I realize they didn't need to be discarded either.

Our rural vet is rather limited but he is also reasonable. He gives me group discounts when I carry two to be fixed at one time. He stays so booked ahead that you have to make an appointment for elective surgeries 4-6 months in advance. He has been discovered by people from the larger cities and they will travel 150 miles to bring a pet because it is less cost.

Unfortunately, he is getting older and tiring. What ever will I do then?

Sylvia ~ hang in there on the adoption paperwork. It will be worth the trouble for both you and the adoptee.

Meet the last two... Daryl & Daryl.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 7, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9233757

I saw in the local paper that a mobile unit with state of the art operating room in it is giving spay and neuter along with micro chips for 20.00 . Advance appointments required . It is sponsored by our county dog pound / shelter . One day only . It is N Georgia Humane Society . Hmmm.
They say you can take your pet home shortly after . I wonder how safe that would be .
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9233768

I think it would be. Our vet does not have room to board and we pick up neuter/spay pets in the evening unless there are complications.

JMO but I don't know why the humane society doesn't do free or cheap neuter/spaying. Then they wouldn't have to spend fund raising moneys on euthanizing instead. Seems like a self solving problem to me.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 7, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9233776

The vets don't work for nothing , they get a portion paid by client and the rest by humane society . They give very little break on their work , and have to pay assistants and all overhead .
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9233874

No, no I didn't mean for them to work for free. The local humane societies do a lot of fundraising which I assume is for maintaining the critters that are 'dumped' on them and for euthanizing.

That could be eliminated if folks were educated to neuter and spay whether it be low cost or no cost based on their income. Seems that would be most humane. Two folks I know went to the humane society to ask for assistance in neutering and found they charged more than the local vets.

So folks don't spend money for neutering their pets but will dump the results. For example the two kittens we just took in... I'd love to meet their momma. I'd pay to have her fixed cause I guarantee she has already bred back.

Anyway, sorry for getting off on this hot topic. And hoping this made some sense as I hadn't finished the first cup of coffee yet. Kristi

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9235586

Ergh, don't get me started on why people don't spay or neuter their pets. In the Dallas area there are several "low/no cost" facilities available, not to mention vets that will work within one's limited income. But even that won't make people do the right thing. My next door neighbor has a stud Golden Retriever that she's been too lazy to get fixed (he's now 10+ years old). Her son came to live with her and the stud immediately bred the son's 2 unfixed females. 13 puppies later! These people are not stupid and they are not without money ... what they are is lazy. Passing all the laws and making all of the resources readily available won't fix lazy.

Off my soapbox now.

Carla
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 9, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9235706

That's exactly why we need federal laws , to make the states enforce a law that would save billions , not to mention the animals

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9235841

Fort Worth is close to passing a "spay and release" program for ferral cats. It is taking in ferral cats and vaccinating and spaying them then releasing them back into the neighborhood with the reasoning that the estabilished "family" will stay there and not allow newcomers to move in. This is only if there is a foster family willing to accept feeding etc. Or that is what I am getting from what the ordinance reads.

There are always pros and cons, but I am for neutering to stop unwanted kittens and puppies for sure.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 9, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9236028

I think a lot of men are responsible for not wanting to spay or neuter their animals. I had a friend that owned a cat for 16 years and he refused to spay it, he said it was not natural! Oh but he payed dearly! He lived in Hurst, when he got home from work one day he had note on his door from the landlord saying the cat bit some woman. Everybody was involved! The cat was not on the lease, the health dept wanted the cat, and the city fined him. He was in big trouble. lol The landlord let the city in to get the cat, but they got the wrong cat. He finds "Short-Stack" and brings her to my house. She was vicious towards Sedric, come to find out she was pregnant! Soon as she had those kittens I took her to the vet and had her fixed. A friend of mine took all of the kittens to Terrell and I took Short Stack back to Hurst! What a night mare!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 10, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9236432

We have a similar program , except the fee to spay or neuter is split . Same as if the cat was yours , and you release it when it has recovered from surgery . I trapped a momma cat that brought me a litter for five years straight , then dumped them on me to find homes for . She was spayed , released , and now sneaks in to eat at night . She is more than welcome . Nothing goes hungry here, except my D H when I don't want to cook .She's wild as a March hare . I couldn't find homes for one of her early kittens and have kept him . (He's neutered ) .He goes with us to Texas and back every year . The momma stays here and our renters put out her food every night . She stays in the woods when she isn't eating . It works fine for all us . I just hate that when she gets old and sick , she will disappear one day and die alone , without any care .

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9237195

[quote="digger9083"]Nothing goes hungry here, except my D H when I don't want to cook .[/quote]

ROFLOL!!

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 11, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9237607

It was take-out Mexican barbacoa plate last night . He picked it up on the way home from work .
He was supposed to retire completely from his summer job of ten years , but was asked to fill in until we leave first of Oct . Business picked up and they didn't want to train a new guy , then carry him over all winter when it slows down . They never lay off anyone , unless it's as bad as stealing , or something that bad .
Gee , I hate cooking. Done paid my dues .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America