-
AuthorContent
kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9212066

Anyone know what it is so I can care for it the right way? All it said was Aeonium Silver Edge? It is so tiny, with little speckles on it. My husband found it for me... Awwww...

Thumbnail by kinym
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 21, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9213684

I purchased one locally at Altman/Oasis/Cactus Collections.com at their retail outlet in Escondido, CA and it is called Aeonium 'Silver Edge'. I still have the container and it says: "Aeonium 'Silver Edge' is possibly a cultivar of Aeonium canariense. Forms rosettes with long, tapered leaves. Leaves are very ciliate (covered with tiny white hairs), with a "fuzzy" texture. Provide cool shade during summer dormancy. Protect from frost. Provide filtered light; hardy to 32F; to 6" + tall. Water thoroughly when soil is dry."

There seems to be little information on the internet about it, I can find nothing on their website, and the amount of red coloring in photos varies from no red to minimal. I'm including two pictures of mine, recently potted up from a 4" pot, to show the branching structure as I have seen one mature one, about 10" wide and tall. It had branching similar to the one branch in my second picture. And I have to agree with the label's comment to water thoroughly when dry as mine was quite full and then lost probably half its leaves last month when it got too dry for too long. Luckly, I caught it in time and I'm sure it will fill back in.

Thumbnail by Anniesfollies   Thumbnail by Anniesfollies
Click an image for an enlarged view.

amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9213699

Reminds me of a cross of A smithii x decorum or something. But that's just drawing from the palette of aeoniums I know, which is nowhere near all of them.
kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9213778

Thank you... That does look like it.
lmccameron
Rodeo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9229924

I have a lot of experience with Aeoniums and I have to admit that this aeonium is one of my favorite winter plants that I bring out of the shade of summer so that once again starting in the fall til late spring another show of growth and flowering. During the summer this particular aeonium will not grow at all. I find that for a better looking plant it is best to keep it out of the sun directly during the summer while keeping the soil moist enough to prevent the remaining leaves around the tiny rosetts from turning yellow/brown. And as always well draining soil is important. After a few years my aeonium is cascaing all the way around and about two feet down several large clay pots. Remember all aeoniums are monocarpic, but that's ok, not all the rosetts bloom at once.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 5, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9229962

lmccameron wrote:Remember all aeoniums are monocarpic

Actually not all of them. Aeonium simsii rosettes live on after flowering because the flower is lateral, like on an Echeveria. Minor exception of course, but worth noting because it's a pretty little plant.
kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9230315

Thanks for the advice on keeping it shady until the fall. It's seems to be doing ok but a few of the leaves look crispy. It may be in too much sun right now. I'll move it and protect it until later...
kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9497985

Update on this happy plant... It is now HUGE!
Full sun, plenty of water, took frost/ rain/ winter just fine. Grew a TON!

Thumbnail by kinym   Thumbnail by kinym         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9499328

It must love where you planted it. What incredible growth in nine months! Amazing.

I have most of my collection in pots because I worry about them dying from not being able to control the water, sun, etc. as well if I put them in the ground. After looking at yours I think I'll start putting more in the ground, and then there it will actually also save time as there won't be so many individual pots to water, and if truth be told I'll probably lose fewer plants as I'm too often lazy about watering. I recently cleared two beds to do just but was hesitating. Thank for sharing your plants progress.
kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9499902

What's funny is that I have tried potted aeonium and they just stayed tiny... At one point after seeing my friend's gigantic in ground aeonium, I finally began sticking them in ground. They seem very happy wherever as long as they are getting plenty of sun. The only ones failing were in too much shade over winter and I pulled them up and stuck them in sun and then they thrived. very UNpicky with watering it seems.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America