SEEDS - RARE, UNIQUE, UNCOMMON FLOWERS SWAP - CHAT!

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ask Questions, Chit chat, or anything about the Swap Here. Just in case we need to have conversation about what's happening, progress...etc. This is Our Thread. Therefore the Sign-up thread wont get too long or too much for me to keep up with...I will be postig all my Goodies over there soon. And can't wait to see what everybody else is pickin' or has! ha ha. Today I harvested: White Vatican Sage (Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica alba)

The Picture is of my Hibiscus syriacus 'Totus Albus' The flowers are larger then other Rose of Sharons I've seen. Seeds come True ☺

TO SEARCH PLANTS HERE: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?Search=Search+plants
(type in the botanical name)

TO SEE SEED TYPES: http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/allseeds1.html
(in case you're not sure what some seeds may look like, to pick them) Scroll to the bottom for seeds A-Z

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Kim,
This sounds like fun. Looking forward to the swap!
Rose

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Rose! I'm hoping the turnout will be fun and rewarding for everyone...

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Posted some of my haves but still have a lot more to add...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9213532

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Some already know but those that don't. Just wanted to Remind All Participants...If you haven't posted to either threads. Please click "Watch Thread" at the very top of the thread. So you'll see any updates or know when someone post a Have list.

Thanks!
Kim

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from roserairie :
Kim,
If we purchase seeds from sources other than big box stores, should we send in multiple packages of one seed variety or will you be breaking them down to distribute?

Answer: If one has the time and can send several packs of the same kind.... It would be deeply appreciated. Although if you don't have the time or do not want to. I will break them down to distribute them ☺

Cutlerville, MI

OK Kim, you are in trouble! I am having WAY TOO MUCH FUN, finding and buying "rare" to me at least flower seeds! I just bought to share....."Ensign Royal" dwarf Morning Glory Vine seeds, "Himalayan Blue" Poppy, Rudbeckia Amplexicaulis, Leontopoduim Alpinum, and "blue love in the mist" Nigel damascena seeds:).....who else is crazy excited like me?????
Thanks a lot Kim:)

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL! Tooo funny. I'm excited too! Especially when you receive surprises! Guess what? I have seeds to every one of the plants you mentioned above :-)...OOhhhhh wish I would have known you wanted them. This is How I germinated the Blue Poppy Seeds in the fridge. They need a LOT of cold treatment!

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Cutlerville, MI

Oh Man..........Kim, I am so sorry...OK I will not BUY ANYTHING else before I check with you:) I just thought these plants were so cool! Man Can I come live at your house, and play in your garden? Hee Hee:)
Have a great evening!
Ali-C

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL! They are cool! You can play in my garden but you'll stumble upon some weeds!! ha ha.I have 3 beds that need weeding :-(

Cutlerville, MI

Don't we all have weeds! This heat makes it hard to weed! I'll be happy to weed while I am playing:)
LOL!

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Today is such a beautiful day in PA! I have my daily routine with a 3 and 4 year old. Which makes mornings hectic... But I'm on my way to walk the yard and see what's blooming, seeds are ripening, and smell the roses ☺. I'll be back with pictures!

Cutlerville, MI

It is beautiful in MI finally too! I hear that storms are headed our way though.... Hey Kim would you be willing for us "new kids" to send instructions on the cool seeds, I am COMPLETELY clueless:) I Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Ali-C

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Well It's getting a little warm now.....not a whole lot blooming color here and there.

1. Joe Pye weed, salvia, meadow rue, and wingstem in the back.
2. Petunias, potulaca, salvia, lobelia, ganzania blooms not open today.
3. Rose 'The Fairy'
4. Datura 'Black Current Swirl'
5. Candy Lily 'Sangria'

Thumbnail by Kim_M Thumbnail by Kim_M Thumbnail by Kim_M Thumbnail by Kim_M Thumbnail by Kim_M
Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Hola yall - I am excited too !

I have done round robins before
but not exactly like this swap.
So please bear with me

Can you please gove examples
of acceptable packing ?

Must it absolutely be glassine
envelopes or those tiny little
ziploc bags ?

WARNING : i am blind and a horrible
typist so please forgive any typos

hugs BB

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It's Ok we are here to help! ☺

Seed Packages:
The seed packages Must Have the Botanical name of the seeds on the package. They can be in plastic baggies, paper, glassine, or your own special packaging. As long as the labels are legible with Common and Botanical names. You can send up to 10 of the same type of seed packages, with a Limit of no more than 100 packages of seeds. NO VEGETABLES, NO HERBS... Please

May we put gerbs, vegs, trees on our wish ;ist ?

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Well there shouldn't be any vegetables or herbs sent in. So I would say you could put it on your wish list. If one of the participants has it they can always contact you privately.

How much for postage ?

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Postage Cost:
Please include $3.00 to $5.00 (not stamps) Return Postage for your seeds to be mailed back to you.
Or you can Paypal your return postage to: uniqueseeds@comcast.net
I didn't want Postage to come back and bite me in the butt...So those of you that can send another dollar or so will be considered a donation (thank you) for those unforeseen postal cost. The more participants the heaver the packages. In addition it may help with some of those International participants return postage that can not send US currency but have donated many seeds.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1271904/

gieten, Netherlands

kim will you the list with seeds i sent on the chat ore on the d mail

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure I understand...Are you asking if I will tell everybody who sent what?

gieten, Netherlands

sorry mine english is not so good
i will sent you the seeds mine question is will you a list wich seeds i sent to you
and must i sent this list than on the d mail or on this tread or in the envy i sent

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

How do I write in 'bold' , 'italic', 'underline' , etc?

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ohhhhh No you don't have to send a list of the seeds you send in. But you can post it on HAVE List. So people can request any seeds you may be sending in. Like I have here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9213532
I will be updating my Want List. I do want the Silene you are sending. It's one of my favorite plants... I Love Silene

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Jonna..I'll send you a dmail. This takes a little html

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm having a lot of fun seeing what HAVES are being posted. I have many little surprises that are going into everyone's packages. Maybe a few things not expected. This is so fun! I've been cleaning seeds today and making bags for all the participants. I know Petunia's are common....But this one is a little different. The flower is especially large, and fragrant. And it is a prolific bloomer and takes the heat and sun well. I harvested seeds today. Let me know if anyone is interested...pic attached...I believe it is: Petunia 'Dreams White'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/282923/

Also picked today Cornelian Cherry Dogwood (Cornus mas) pic attached
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31669/
I cleaned the seeds from the fruit and if anyone is interested let me know. Dogwoods are relatively easy to germinate. I'm not posting everything to the HAVE List. Because I have hundreds of seed packs to make..so I'll be posting here from time to time. Because any seeds I post on my Have's are put aside and someone will definitely get those seeds.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 9:23 PM

Thumbnail by Kim_M Thumbnail by Kim_M Thumbnail by Kim_M
gieten, Netherlands

kim i want very much the petunia

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi,

So far I have the following ready:
Vigna caracalla
Mandevilla laxa
Strelitzia nicolai
Ostespernum (Pastel Shades) - Commercial mix of lavender, purples and pinks
Gaillardia "Yellow Queen"
Gaillardia "Razzle"
Felicia amelloides (True Blue Daisy)
Gazania krebsiana "Sunshine Hybrids"
Nemesia fruticans "Mixed"
Gardenia volkensii
Anomatheca laxa
Cydista aequinoctialis
Cercis cadensis var. texensis
Cananga odorata
Passiflora edulis "Mc Cain"
Gloriosa rothschildiana
Caesalpinia pulcherrima

I would love:

Agastache mexicana
Agastache rupestris
Aruncus dioicus
Carnation 'Grenadin Pink' (Dianthus caryophyllus)
Centaurea 'Amethyst in Snow'
Chocolate daisy
Christa Barlow Columbine
Clematis "Claire de Lune"
Dianthus Elizabethan
Echinacea DoubleDecker
Echinacea Pow Wow Wild Berry
Echinacea Twilight
Geranium cantabrigiense biokovo
Geranium midnight Reiter
Geranium Pratense 'Purple Haze'
Geum 'lady strateden'
Himalayan Blue Poppy
Honey Lily (Nectaroscordum tripedale)
Korean Bellflower
Lavendula angustifolia Munstead
Malva moschata f. alba
Meadow rue
Nectaroscordum tripedale
Nicotiana alata, Crimson Bedder
Papaver somniferum var Laciniatum
Papaver somniferum var Laciniatum Dark Purple
Pearl Bush (Exochorda)
Perennial Foxglove from warriorswisdomkathy
Petunia "Dreams White"
Petunia superbissima
Ranunculus bulbosus
Sambucus nigra
Sanguisorba Hakusanensis
Sanguisorba menziessii
Veronica gentianoides
Wonderful Wampee Yarrow

Elsa

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 10:11 AM

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok I will put the petunia in both in your bags :-) Elsa can you post you Haves over on the other thread too? I have some Himalayan Blue Poppy too I can add...you know these only germinate under cold conditions?

Pretoria, South Africa

Thanks Kim, will cross post. Yes, I was thinking of sending them to my mom in Belfast. It is quite a lot cooler than here. Would love to grow them though...

Was thinking after I pressed "Send", that I would really appreciate any number of Nicotiana sylvestrIs should anybody have a few seeds to spare. That was another of the plants that got pulled by the gardener...

Elsa

Cutlerville, MI

Hi Kim! Ohhhhhhh the petuniasw are beautiful! I would love them too...oh who am I kidding I am so excited I would love ALL of them:) Once again, it's all your fault! I seriously am so glad I met you on this sight, you've really been helpful! Dogwood seeds would be GREAT! I would love to start one for my Aunt Amy in Indianapolis!
Thanks Again!
Ahoogstra

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I have some of that too! Would you be interested in other Nicotiana's?

Ok I'll put the dogwood seeds in your bag :-)

Pretoria, South Africa

Yes, please. Here in South Africa you get the basic flower seed like tagetes, hollyhocks, antirrhinum, pansies, gazanias etc. We've seen some Heucheras in the garden centres for the past two years, but they are still very expensive. Plug plants tend to have a wider variety than seed, but not close to what you have available in the USA. We don't have companies that we can order seed from like T&M, but we do have for indigenous plants ( Cape seed and bulb). Unfortunately for me I like the cottage garden look, so what I have in my garden, are mostly grown from seed I traded over the years at Dave's.

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ahhhh ok...so how is your seed starting? Do you start most of your plants from seed?

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Tip: If you have too many of those edited messages after you update your list...just delete them before you hit send ☺

Pretoria, South Africa

Yes, luckily my DH just smiles and looks the other way regarding all my flats with seed in different stages of growth. At first he wasn't too impressed with having some seed in the fridge, but he doesn't even notice anymore.
He built me a cold frame just before Winter, and everything is so tidy now. Just love it... The nice part is him taking more notice of what is happening in the garden. A few years ago he didn't know the difference between a pansy and a petunia, but the other day he was referring to "the mandevilla" and even got it right!

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't you just love that!! When They take notice...LOL. My DH use to mow and weed wherever he wanted. He caught hell when he pulled one of my named plants up... roots and all. He said he thought it was a weed :-/ (I had just bought it too!) Now he asks, and looks over his shoulder to see where I'm at before he even tries to cut or pull...ha ha

Pretoria, South Africa

My DH doesn't do anything in the garden. We stay in a complex (32 units) with "so called" garden service BUT after they pulled my Talictrum and Nicotiana, they were only allowed to cut the grass. About a month ago I asked them to help me with some cut branches (I did some pruning to open up the canopy) and before I knew it, the one guy was sawing away at another tree in my garden. Those branches were used by the birds around the bird feeder. I almost had a heart attack!
So, from now on, everybody is allowed to enjoy my garden, but I am the only person allowed to carry any tools, apart from the lawn mower... :-)

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL!!! I know the feeling

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images