Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: SEEDS - RARE, UNIQUE, UNCOMMON FLOWERS SWAP - CHAT!

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 221, Views: 2,054
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9212463

Ask Questions, Chit chat, or anything about the Swap Here. Just in case we need to have conversation about what's happening, progress...etc. This is Our Thread. Therefore the Sign-up thread wont get too long or too much for me to keep up with...I will be postig all my Goodies over there soon. And can't wait to see what everybody else is pickin' or has! ha ha. Today I harvested: White Vatican Sage (Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica alba)

The Picture is of my Hibiscus syriacus 'Totus Albus' The flowers are larger then other Rose of Sharons I've seen. Seeds come True ☺

TO SEARCH PLANTS HERE: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?Search=Search plants
(type in the botanical name)

TO SEE SEED TYPES: http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/allseeds1.html
(in case you're not sure what some seeds may look like, to pick them) Scroll to the bottom for seeds A-Z

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9213158

Kim,
This sounds like fun. Looking forward to the swap!
Rose
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9213177

Thanks Rose! I'm hoping the turnout will be fun and rewarding for everyone...
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9213710

Posted some of my haves but still have a lot more to add...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9213532
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9215296

Some already know but those that don't. Just wanted to Remind All Participants...If you haven't posted to either threads. Please click "Watch Thread" at the very top of the thread. So you'll see any updates or know when someone post a Have list.

Thanks!
Kim

Thumbnail by Kim_M

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9215339

roserairie wrote:Kim,
If we purchase seeds from sources other than big box stores, should we send in multiple packages of one seed variety or will you be breaking them down to distribute?

Answer: If one has the time and can send several packs of the same kind... It would be deeply appreciated. Although if you don't have the time or do not want to. I will break them down to distribute them ☺

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 23, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9215836

OK Kim, you are in trouble! I am having WAY TOO MUCH FUN, finding and buying "rare" to me at least flower seeds! I just bought to share..."Ensign Royal" dwarf Morning Glory Vine seeds, "Himalayan Blue" Poppy, Rudbeckia Amplexicaulis, Leontopoduim Alpinum, and "blue love in the mist" Nigel damascena seeds:)...who else is crazy excited like me?????
Thanks a lot Kim:)
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9215848

LOL! Tooo funny. I'm excited too! Especially when you receive surprises! Guess what? I have seeds to every one of the plants you mentioned above :-)...OOhhhhh wish I would have known you wanted them. This is How I germinated the Blue Poppy Seeds in the fridge. They need a LOT of cold treatment!

Thumbnail by Kim_M

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 23, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9216249

Oh Man...Kim, I am so sorry...OK I will not BUY ANYTHING else before I check with you:) I just thought these plants were so cool! Man Can I come live at your house, and play in your garden? Hee Hee:)
Have a great evening!
Ali-C
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9216392

LOL! They are cool! You can play in my garden but you'll stumble upon some weeds!! ha ha.I have 3 beds that need weeding :-(

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 23, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9216404

Don't we all have weeds! This heat makes it hard to weed! I'll be happy to weed while I am playing:)
LOL!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9216742

Today is such a beautiful day in PA! I have my daily routine with a 3 and 4 year old. Which makes mornings hectic... But I'm on my way to walk the yard and see what's blooming, seeds are ripening, and smell the roses ☺. I'll be back with pictures!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 24, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9216761

It is beautiful in MI finally too! I hear that storms are headed our way though... Hey Kim would you be willing for us "new kids" to send instructions on the cool seeds, I am COMPLETELY clueless:) I Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Ali-C
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9216906

Well It's getting a little warm now...not a whole lot blooming color here and there.

1. Joe Pye weed, salvia, meadow rue, and wingstem in the back.
2. Petunias, potulaca, salvia, lobelia, ganzania blooms not open today.
3. Rose 'The Fairy'
4. Datura 'Black Current Swirl'
5. Candy Lily 'Sangria'

Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M
Click an image for an enlarged view.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9217928

Hola yall - I am excited too !

I have done round robins before
but not exactly like this swap.
So please bear with me

Can you please gove examples
of acceptable packing ?

Must it absolutely be glassine
envelopes or those tiny little
ziploc bags ?

WARNING : i am blind and a horrible
typist so please forgive any typos

hugs BB

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9217977

It's Ok we are here to help! ☺

Seed Packages:
The seed packages Must Have the Botanical name of the seeds on the package. They can be in plastic baggies, paper, glassine, or your own special packaging. As long as the labels are legible with Common and Botanical names. You can send up to 10 of the same type of seed packages, with a Limit of no more than 100 packages of seeds. NO VEGETABLES, NO HERBS... Please

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9217998

May we put gerbs, vegs, trees on our wish ;ist ?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9218002

Well there shouldn't be any vegetables or herbs sent in. So I would say you could put it on your wish list. If one of the participants has it they can always contact you privately.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9218221

How much for postage ?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9218517

Postage Cost:
Please include $3.00 to $5.00 (not stamps) Return Postage for your seeds to be mailed back to you.
Or you can Paypal your return postage to: uniqueseeds@comcast.net
I didn't want Postage to come back and bite me in the butt...So those of you that can send another dollar or so will be considered a donation (thank you) for those unforeseen postal cost. The more participants the heaver the packages. In addition it may help with some of those International participants return postage that can not send US currency but have donated many seeds.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1271904/
bartjestuin
gieten
Netherlands

July 25, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9218987

kim will you the list with seeds i sent on the chat ore on the d mail
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9219054

I'm not sure I understand...Are you asking if I will tell everybody who sent what?
bartjestuin
gieten
Netherlands

July 26, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9219150

sorry mine english is not so good
i will sent you the seeds mine question is will you a list wich seeds i sent to you
and must i sent this list than on the d mail or on this tread or in the envy i sent
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9219169

How do I write in 'bold' , 'italic', 'underline' , etc?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9219173

Ohhhhh No you don't have to send a list of the seeds you send in. But you can post it on HAVE List. So people can request any seeds you may be sending in. Like I have here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9213532
I will be updating my Want List. I do want the Silene you are sending. It's one of my favorite plants... I Love Silene
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9219177

Jonna..I'll send you a dmail. This takes a little html
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9219868

I'm having a lot of fun seeing what HAVES are being posted. I have many little surprises that are going into everyone's packages. Maybe a few things not expected. This is so fun! I've been cleaning seeds today and making bags for all the participants. I know Petunia's are common...But this one is a little different. The flower is especially large, and fragrant. And it is a prolific bloomer and takes the heat and sun well. I harvested seeds today. Let me know if anyone is interested...pic attached...I believe it is: Petunia 'Dreams White'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/282923/

Also picked today Cornelian Cherry Dogwood (Cornus mas) pic attached
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31669/
I cleaned the seeds from the fruit and if anyone is interested let me know. Dogwoods are relatively easy to germinate. I'm not posting everything to the HAVE List. Because I have hundreds of seed packs to make..so I'll be posting here from time to time. Because any seeds I post on my Have's are put aside and someone will definitely get those seeds.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 9:23 PM

Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M

bartjestuin
gieten
Netherlands

July 27, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #9220077

kim i want very much the petunia
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 27, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9220171

Hi,

So far I have the following ready:
Vigna caracalla
Mandevilla laxa
Strelitzia nicolai
Ostespernum (Pastel Shades) - Commercial mix of lavender, purples and pinks
Gaillardia "Yellow Queen"
Gaillardia "Razzle"
Felicia amelloides (True Blue Daisy)
Gazania krebsiana "Sunshine Hybrids"
Nemesia fruticans "Mixed"
Gardenia volkensii
Anomatheca laxa
Cydista aequinoctialis
Cercis cadensis var. texensis
Cananga odorata
Passiflora edulis "Mc Cain"
Gloriosa rothschildiana
Caesalpinia pulcherrima

I would love:

Agastache mexicana
Agastache rupestris
Aruncus dioicus
Carnation 'Grenadin Pink' (Dianthus caryophyllus)
Centaurea 'Amethyst in Snow'
Chocolate daisy
Christa Barlow Columbine
Clematis "Claire de Lune"
Dianthus Elizabethan
Echinacea DoubleDecker
Echinacea Pow Wow Wild Berry
Echinacea Twilight
Geranium cantabrigiense biokovo
Geranium midnight Reiter
Geranium Pratense 'Purple Haze'
Geum 'lady strateden'
Himalayan Blue Poppy
Honey Lily (Nectaroscordum tripedale)
Korean Bellflower
Lavendula angustifolia Munstead
Malva moschata f. alba
Meadow rue
Nectaroscordum tripedale
Nicotiana alata, Crimson Bedder
Papaver somniferum var Laciniatum
Papaver somniferum var Laciniatum Dark Purple
Pearl Bush (Exochorda)
Perennial Foxglove from warriorswisdomkathy
Petunia "Dreams White"
Petunia superbissima
Ranunculus bulbosus
Sambucus nigra
Sanguisorba Hakusanensis
Sanguisorba menziessii
Veronica gentianoides
Wonderful Wampee Yarrow

Elsa

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 10:11 AM
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9220195

Ok I will put the petunia in both in your bags :-) Elsa can you post you Haves over on the other thread too? I have some Himalayan Blue Poppy too I can add...you know these only germinate under cold conditions?
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 27, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9220375

Thanks Kim, will cross post. Yes, I was thinking of sending them to my mom in Belfast. It is quite a lot cooler than here. Would love to grow them though...

Was thinking after I pressed "Send", that I would really appreciate any number of Nicotiana sylvestrIs should anybody have a few seeds to spare. That was another of the plants that got pulled by the gardener...

Elsa

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 27, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9220419

Hi Kim! Ohhhhhhh the petuniasw are beautiful! I would love them too...oh who am I kidding I am so excited I would love ALL of them:) Once again, it's all your fault! I seriously am so glad I met you on this sight, you've really been helpful! Dogwood seeds would be GREAT! I would love to start one for my Aunt Amy in Indianapolis!
Thanks Again!
Ahoogstra
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9220450

I have some of that too! Would you be interested in other Nicotiana's?

Ok I'll put the dogwood seeds in your bag :-)
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 27, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9220495

Yes, please. Here in South Africa you get the basic flower seed like tagetes, hollyhocks, antirrhinum, pansies, gazanias etc. We've seen some Heucheras in the garden centres for the past two years, but they are still very expensive. Plug plants tend to have a wider variety than seed, but not close to what you have available in the USA. We don't have companies that we can order seed from like T&M, but we do have for indigenous plants ( Cape seed and bulb). Unfortunately for me I like the cottage garden look, so what I have in my garden, are mostly grown from seed I traded over the years at Dave's.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9220533

Ahhhh ok...so how is your seed starting? Do you start most of your plants from seed?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9221528

Tip: If you have too many of those edited messages after you update your list...just delete them before you hit send ☺
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 28, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9221618

Yes, luckily my DH just smiles and looks the other way regarding all my flats with seed in different stages of growth. At first he wasn't too impressed with having some seed in the fridge, but he doesn't even notice anymore.
He built me a cold frame just before Winter, and everything is so tidy now. Just love it... The nice part is him taking more notice of what is happening in the garden. A few years ago he didn't know the difference between a pansy and a petunia, but the other day he was referring to "the mandevilla" and even got it right!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9221626

Don't you just love that!! When They take notice...LOL. My DH use to mow and weed wherever he wanted. He caught hell when he pulled one of my named plants up... roots and all. He said he thought it was a weed :-/ (I had just bought it too!) Now he asks, and looks over his shoulder to see where I'm at before he even tries to cut or pull...ha ha
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 28, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9221635

My DH doesn't do anything in the garden. We stay in a complex (32 units) with "so called" garden service BUT after they pulled my Talictrum and Nicotiana, they were only allowed to cut the grass. About a month ago I asked them to help me with some cut branches (I did some pruning to open up the canopy) and before I knew it, the one guy was sawing away at another tree in my garden. Those branches were used by the birds around the bird feeder. I almost had a heart attack!
So, from now on, everybody is allowed to enjoy my garden, but I am the only person allowed to carry any tools, apart from the lawn mower... :-)
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9221674

LOL!!! I know the feeling
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9221680

poisondartfrog wrote:Great seed lists. I will be adding a couple of things to my "wish list".
I added these to my have list today, along with a couple of others.
Nicotiana alata, Crimson Bedder
Petunia superbissima
Papaver somniferum var Laciniatum

Alana I LOVE Poppies...Those are sooooo pretty...

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9221825

More Seeds Cleaned today...I promise I will try to make all seeds chaff free! LOL. I gathered Korean Bellflower, Chocolate daisy, and the bag is Christa Barlow Columbine. There are a LOT of these...This isn't a small bag. Now I just have to print all the little labels and get them in little baggies..Fun fun fun...

This swap was totally spur of the moment for me. I realized that I am tired of selling seed... and I am a advent seed collector...and I have more seeds then I can sow in a life time. So the best way to get rid of them is pack them up an share! he he he.

Thumbnail by Kim_M

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9222172

For those of you that like crafty things, gluing and cutting..he he he. There are printable seed packs here:
http://davesgarden.com/files/seedpackets/

I've used them and some are really cute!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 8:37 AM

Thumbnail by Kim_M

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 30, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9223737

Awesome Kim! I am a HUGE paper crafter:)

O.K. So here are a list I have to trade so far...

"Dwarf Ensign Royal" Morning Glory Seeds
Edelweiss
Clasping Coneflower
Blue Love in The Mist
Himalayan Blue Poppy
Wonderful Wampee Yarrow
Moonflower Vine
Moulin Rouge Sunflower
Hens & Chicks Poppy's
I will post more as I have them ready:)
Ahoogstra
midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

August 1, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9226117

This swap will be really fun! I love large trades and am glad to see participants from other countries. I am working on my list, which I decided to put in alphabetical order. There will be 100 packs with only a few duplicates. Living in zone 6, I am open to most varieties except ones that must be kept indoors, like Hibiscus. My tree Hibiscus already takes up lots of space. It is in the flowerbed now but will be coming inside in September.

Here are a few seeds from my ever-growing list:

Abelmoschus manihot - Hibiscus, Golden Bowl 5 seeds
Adonis annua - Pheasant's Eye 10 seeds
Althea armeniaca - Armenian Mallow 10 seeds
Amaranthus cruentus - Prince's Feather, Oeschberg 15 seeds
Amaranthus cruentus x A. powelii - Amaranth, Hopi Red Dye 2 trades
Antigonon leptopus - Pink Coral Vine 5 seeds
Aquilegia vulgaris - Columbine, Baby Doll Mix
Aquilegia vulgaris - Columbine, Blue Star
Aquilegia vulgaris - Columbine, Calvary
Aquilegia vulgaris - Columbine, European red, blue, pink, white 20 seeds
Aquilegia vulgaris - Columbine, Gothic
Aquilegia vulgaris - Columbine, Mauve
Aquilegia vulgaris - Columbine, Royalty
Aquilegia vulgaris - Columbine, Ruby Port
Aruncus dioicus - Goat's Beard 10 seeds
Astrantia major - Masterwort, mix 10 seeds
Bellis perennis - Bellis Super Enorma Red 15 seeds

Did someone mention wanting Nicotiana? I have seeds from some pink Nicotiana that I just planted this year. More seeds listed on the next post.

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9226234

I feel lazy buying little envelopes after seeing that cute seed envelope LOL

I was so bummed I was going to have a few Bear britches (Acanthus spinosus) but the seed pods popped in my kitchen my husband vacuumed the kitchen floor and I have a pile of dust looking for the seeds in it. I think a couple fell in the disposal in the sink. Ugh oh well...

Maybe next year.

I will post my have list later just in case more pods decide to become air born...
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9226291

Ohhhh Noooo! I would have loved the Acanthus spinosus. I have great success with acanthus seeds...maybe next year :-)
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9226498

Right now I have found exactly 1. I had at least 6.
In away it is kind of funny =P
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9226559

Same thing happened to me. I had picked 15 Blue Lady Hellebore enough for one pack. I dropped them and salvaged 5 seeds...bummer.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9226799

Oh that stinks=(
We we now belong to the same club, Seed Droppers (unlike Seed Savers).

Hopefully today in the seed search will be more fruitful.
midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

August 2, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9226964

I would love to try Edelweiss. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has lost seeds. Have you ever spent an hour picking them out of a deep pile rug? Have your ever gone "couch mining" and found them under cushions? They end up in my little "mystery bags" of seeds. When I plant them someday, what a surprise!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9227110

I'll have to get me one of those mystery bags...ha ha! Never really thought of that. I just vacuum them up..

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9227133

One time the wind was gently blowing and I took a plate of seeds outside thinking the breeze would blow away the fluffy chaff and leave the seeds on the plate. I can have serious lapses in judgment sometimes.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9227144

LOL these stories are funny.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9227156

Well I'm not listing everything...but these are plants flowering today...is anyone interested in seeds of these? This Hibiscus has a name...long forgotten. The flower is the size of a dinner plate and it's a perennial. The other is Datura Black current swirl (smell really good)..and Impatiens balfourii

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9227236

I could use some of the Impatiens balfourii, Kim. Mine did not sow themselves back this year.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9227293

Really??!! That's a shock...this plant I can't get rid of. I tell everybody...Once you have one it'll be around forever. Because it reseeds readily. I wish I would have known because I was giving away plants not too long ago..before they start flowering. I will try to capture some seeds for you :-)

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 2, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9227319

Kim I would LOVE the Dentura Black Current! Those are magnificent!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9227371

Ok... It's a really large flower and smells good!

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9227456

Not so shocking, Kim. This weird season a lot of reliable reseeders didn't. Maybe the extreme temperatures and drought much earlier than normal prevented germination or killed the young plants before they could establish themselves.
On the plus side some things I do not usually see two years in a row persisted,which was nice.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9227462

That is interesting...I planted a coreopsis which is a perennial that did the same thing! It came back this year and I did not see it at all last year and thought it was gone

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9227591

I just found the "chat" site. Well, I can see I'm going to have to go and check for acanthus seeds, mine really bloomed well this year so I have like 10 bloom spires out there, one is bound to have dry seeds on it! Oh my god, Kim has impatiens balfouri . . . I have been looking for more for sooo long. I accidentally killed it off in my backyard and I miss it so.
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9227650

I have tried to get acanthus mollis to grow and my seedlings were about 4 inches and then the dog trampled them. Maybe I'll have another chance. I couldn't save them.
bartjestuin
gieten
Netherlands

August 2, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9227825

i want very much the pink hibiscus and the datura
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9227904

Ok Great! I'll add them to your bag :-)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9228679

Well I checked the acanthus today, the flowers have fallen but the seeds are still developing. So they may be ready for the swap. I also got some seeds off my new allium schubertii. I think I will get them in some pots germinating so I can see if they are good swap material too. What totally weird plants they are, my husband calls them firework plants . . . they do look like an exploding firework.
I need to get more seed packaging, I don't believe how many I've used already. I'm not a seed collector, I try to plant them as I get them so they don't get old. But some of the seeds I purchased last month came in such large quantities for me to use. It's going to be so cool to get others for my extras. Totally excited!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9228743

Hopefully the acanthus will be available for the swap...I would like to grow some :-). As far as old seeds...That's a Lonnggggg subject for me...ha ha! I wrote a thread on Old Seeds - New Seeds. The seeds I'm sending for the swap are new seeds. But seeds I really want I never throw away. I grew Salpiglossis "Kew Blue" this year from seeds that were 8 years old. I had 100 percent germination rate...therefore threw out lots of seedlings. I store my seeds very well and 90% of them are store in a refrigerator. There are countless amount of seed species that will not germinate after being picked.

Ohhh if ever interested...here's the thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028162/

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9228869

Yes, I've had some good results with "old" seeds. A friend sent me a whole bunch of ipomoea seeds this past spring and some were labeled 1994 and they still came up! I find I get the best results from my own garden and I always let them ripen well on the vine so to speak. I'll check out the thread, sounds interesting.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9229086

Yeah I love ipomoea. I did that too last year. I was surprise to see them germinate so fast and well. Although my seeds weren't as old. Just a couple years old. That is great that they came up after that amount of time. Very rewarding... Especially if it's a plant that has been forgotten or not sen in a while. Love that!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9229277

Today my first bloom for Plant for Hope Opened. I've been doing this for a few years now. I love Glads!! They have been dependable for me and have multiplied and come back. This one is standing about 5 feet tall... I can't wait until they all open.

This one is definitely Pretty in Pink :-)
http://www.euroblooms.com/komen.html

Thumbnail by Kim_M

Thalictrum
Noordwijk
Netherlands

August 4, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9229317

Hi Kim
Talking about Gladiolus. I just discovered yesterday a beautifull Gladiolus papilio in my yard. Plant ID helped me with the identification of this plant. Hope to get some seeds of this Gladiolus.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 4, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9229365

Kim,
That is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9229394

I was wondering if they are easy from seeds? This is my second year growing a gladiolus. So I will look for seeds...didn't notice them last year. But they were hybirds... Wonder if that matters?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9229403

I've never even considered growing glads from seeds . . . it's a thought. I have some beauties this year, it's just been a great year for glads in my yard. I need to get some more pictures . . . I have these small red w/ white throat ones that are just so sweet.
Here are my purple ones . . . these are just spectacular.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9229476

OhhhhhhhMyyy they are gorgeous! What is the purple blue one? I just bought 2 Blue Isle bulbs last week. And the other one is darling...I never thought about seeds from them either. This is The 'Mon Amour' I grew last year which was my first. They came up bigger and more this year :-)

Thumbnail by Kim_M

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9229572

You know I can't find a name for that one. I had some "Passos" come up next to them . . . they were gorgeous, they looked tie-dyed!
Here are the red/white ones, they are smallish and I must have gotten a good deal on them as they are coming up all over my yard, LOL.
Glads grow good here on the coast.
I'm going to have pink "rain" lily seeds soon, I wonder if anyone involved in the trade is in a good zone for them. So many of you guys are in the colder zones.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9229600

Well my rain lilies come back...but I only have yellow
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9230198

I will have: so far
Aristolochia elegans about 3 trades
1 trade Hibiscus sabdariffa this is the one hibiscus tea is made
1 bromeliad seeds (purchased)
1 trade Milk thistle maybe 2
1-2 Cynara cardunculus Cardoon
1 Digitalis thapsi
1 Roscoea auriculata
1 Silybum marianum
2 Kochia scoparia Mexican fire bush
1 Salvia glutinosa
1 Salvia africana-lutea
1 small trade Gasteria brachyphylla ( 3 seeds )
1 small trade Clerodendron paniculatum (2 seeds)
1 Puya venusta Bromeliad
2 Saguaro cactus seeds

Wish List
I like native plants, but not necessarily just natives.

Liatris squarrulosa, Liatris
Lobelia siphilitica
Cimicifuga racemosa
Eupatorium rugosum
Amsonia tabernaemontana
Aquilegia canadensis
Chelone lyonii
Clematis crispa
Clematis viorna
Delphinium tricorne
Lilium michauxii
Phlox divaricata
Phlox stolonifera
Ruellia caroliniensis

Agave any hardy zone 7 or 8
cactus any just want to try my hand at some of these prefer smaller species
succulents (I have Sedums a plenty)
I am sure I can think of more and I am really bad at updating my want list in my trades

Kim if you still have the hibiscus I would like a few of those too Thanks.

Heading out to check on seeds ...

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 11:22 AM

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 8:11 PM

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9230526

I'd like to try "Dutchman's pipe" again. I haven't had much luck getting their seeds to germinate, I figure they either need to be really fresh or need something I'm not given' um. I'll put those on my want list. I'm actually pretty good with seeds, I mean I read and I try to accommidate their "special" needs. My point of pride this past year was getting some Lachenalia to germinate.
Kim, the pink and yellow glads are just charming. I love glads, so do my gophers so I plant lots of them.
Well, I have several plants in my back yard I am checking for seed readiness daily, I better do that now as I'm expecting company.
Dee
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012

Post #9230561

I have heard that some Aristolochia need bottom warmth (heating mat) for a period of time.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9230575

That's good to know, I'll be starting most of the perennials inside on the heat mat under grow lights in Fall / Winter.
I just added the pink rain lillies to my trade list, looks like I'm going to have lots of them as the first of the pods split today. I have grown these seeds before and they germinate well, mine from last year are 4" tall, no blooms yet.
I also found a few pregnant onion seeds (Ornithogalum longibracteatum) about to fall off the stalk, haven't ever tried these.
I've never tried to collect bromeliad seeds, maybe I should be checking those too.
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9233365

I usually have luck even with old seeds. I was surpised this year that several of my glads came back and I didn't lift them like I should have. I didn't even think of getting seeds from them.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012

Post #9234387

Today my second bloom for Plant for Hope Opened. This one is standing about 5 feet tall...too. I can't wait until they all open.
This one is definitely also Pretty in Pink :-)
http://www.euroblooms.com/komen.html

The 3rd glad opened too but they are salmon/pink...Which is kinda nice too :-)

Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 8, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9234501

Again Kim, WOW! They are beautiful!
Ahoogstra
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9234661

Thanks! I can't wait to see what plants they put out next year :-) I think I got like 20 bulbs for $5.00

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 10, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9236935

Wow..that is an amazing price! So fun!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9237246

20 for 5 bucks that is a super cheap price!
The colors are awesome.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #9237404

Looking at this post I feel so humbled . . . I don't have to lift any of my bulbs. Not that I don't have plenty to do in my garden, I'm sure I've made plenty of work to take the place of lifting bulbs. But that's got to be a lot of work. I complain about having to bring the house plants in for the Winter. Kudos to anyone that goes to that much trouble for flowers.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9237802

I was told when I first planted my Glads that they needed to be dug. I have this motto in my garden "Only the Strong will Survive" so I don't lift anything. All my glads come back, my black and blue salvia, salvia patens blue angel...all come back. And most everything reseeds. I have jobs tears every year because they reseeding.
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9237930

Kim, I have been trying to leave things alone so things reseed. Purple salvia, one pink petunia and white vinca returned. I was really surprised to see them come up this year.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9237955

Yeah it's so nice when plants reseeds. It allows you to start other seeds...I like when my marigolds reseed. Doesn't happen often but I love it.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9238571

:/ I wish my babies would reseed themselves. Sadly they are *not* fans of reseeding in mulch. At least that's been my experience. Watch the portulaca come up in the sidewalk cracks next year. LOL. I can't keep up with weed control if I don't mulch. I just can't handle weed block I'd shred it to pieces with how much I change my mind. The chances of me remembering to lift my glads, elephant ears & caladiums (impressive display from those considering I bought them @ wal-mart) before frost are 70-30. Meaning 70% chance they're goners lol. In which case I just get to plant something else. Oh yeah I have cannas to lift up to. My neighbor thinks I'm nuts. I'm starting hibiscus from seed for him next year in case his bite the dust again. He paid (way more than i would have) for 2 "hardy" plants that were supposed to survive our winter which was exceptionally mild & they bit the dust. He paid even more for 2 this year. I do not want to be around in the spring if they don't make it.
His garden is so nice too. Hostas & lily of the valley all over in the back & he does pots of begonias & geraniums every summer. I think he over winters & they survive his childless, catless house. Maybe I should send mine over there.

Thumbnail by hartzell81

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2012

Post #9238683

hartzell, I don't lift my glads and they multiply like crazy. You should try leaving a couple in the ground to see what they do.

Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 12, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9238709

WOW!!!! Ok OK you all win, I will HAVE to plant Glads next year, never have, I just didn't know much about them so I have been a "scardy cat". Your pictures have done me in! Seriously beautiful all of you!

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9238841

Was I dreamin or did someone say
they are offering dudleta ?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9239371

That was me, I have Dudleya pulverulenta. I ordered these seeds from a local seed bank here in California just last month.
I planted some in 4" pots today and put them in my greenhouse. The seed is super fine, I hate working with miniscule seeds.
But it would be sooo cool if they germinate well. I love Dudleyas.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 13, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9239703

Does anyone know if you have to bring Glad bulbs in in the winter in MI? I am going to research them more, because they are SO beautiful!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9239735

Ahoogstra, You have submitted to the planting of glad bulbs..., their work is done here... You are now one of them.

hehehe

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9240112

aghoostar:
All the glad bulbs I've ever bought say to lift them & bring them in. Most of the time they survive the winter. I mulch tho. My opinion on my glads is that if they like me they'll stay if not I just get to try new ones.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 13, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9240168

Too funny...I am in a full zone under you..so maybe I will extra mulch them:)
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9240476

I've noticed the deeper they are planted the better they are. They stand up better and don't rot either. I planted a few not as deep and they didn't do as well.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 14, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9240947

Awesome info everyone! I will plant the bulbs deep, and use extra mulch. Hopefully next year they will bloom! Should I wait until Fall or next spring to plant?
Thanks again for all the great info!
Alicia
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2012

Post #9240958

Since you don't know if they will survive your winter I would plant them in Spring.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 14, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9241564

Spring it is:)

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9241624

I think glad bulbs are only available
in spring.
Thalictrum
Noordwijk
Netherlands

August 15, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9242330

I bought last year, can't remember where, gladiolus papilio. Forgot all about them. Last winter, we had the coldest winter ever minus 17 C, but my gladiolus papilio made it through. Lot of special budlea's died. Next year I will have a lot more gladiolus as they are multiplying themselfs. As they came through last winter I will not dig them up.
Ria

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9242465

That's amazing about your glads surviving such low temps.
Kim,
I mailied my seed box today with a whooping 90 some seed packets! I stuck my "want" list in there too but if you can remember I'd really like some of your yellow zephyranthes. I have pink and white and would love yellow. Do you have white? Would you like white?
I still have hope of capturing some bears breech seeds for you, probably later this fall, and if I do I could put some white bulbs in. The white don't seem to seed like the pink. They do, however multiply underground like crazy. Anyone else wanting bear's breech seed, or white rain lily bulbs for that matter need only ask. I'm waiting for the seeds to ripen on the stalks so it will be fall sometime.
Dee
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9242730

Ohhh Great! It'll I got one package in from the Netherlands. Unfortunately I think I just traded the yellow zephyranthes seeds. I'll double check...but I believe I sent them all to Mary...she's in this swap. Maybe she can share :-)

I'm actually not too crazy about the rain lilies...I just happen to have them in my gardens. Maybe I can locate the bulbs...
midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

August 16, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9243294

Yes, I'm the lucky recipient of the yellow rain lily seeds from a previous trade with Kim. I would be glad to do a trade with Domehomedee for a few.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9244251

Hi...I'm joining the group...I'm beginning to collect seed and getting them bagged. I will be sending in more than 100, so Kim has plenty to share with those that don't have that much.

Also a note for the person looking for Lysimachia atropurpea...I have some that is a few years old, just say the word and I will include unless someone else has any that is fresher.

Kim...back on 8/2 post you showed an older variety of Hisbiscus mochatas, and you stated it has the larger flowers...It looks like it is probably LADY BALTIMORE, flowers should be about 10-12" and height from 4-6 feet tall, if I remember correctly and I would LOVE to have some seed also. You can also include some of the white fragrant petunias. Thalictrum has Galega X hartlandii 'Lady Wilson' and I would love to have some, that's been on my want list for a # of years now, also from her I want Campanula lactiflora 'Pritchard's Variety' and Campanula lactiflora 'Lodden Anna'. Bartjestuin has Campanula lactiflora that would very much be appreiciated here, lol...

I'm not quite ready to post my have or wants yet, tho willl be coming sooooon. Was a tuff year for blooms here for me as we are in the middle of a severe drought. Had added sooo many new goodies last fall but they didn't even bloom this year, shucks...maybe next year though. I'm waiting for a new aquisition of Eupatorium joicus to bloom and will be collecting seed, it's varigated with white blooms.

These lists of availables are absolutely amazing, I need to sit down with a few reference books and do some studying, lol...does anyone have any Dierama 'Angels Fishing Rods'?

Chichory wants: Clematis crispa and Liatris squarrulosa...I do have that clem let me look and see if I can find it or if it bloomed this year (many of my clems didn't). On the Liatris...is that a wild variety????? If so I have about a half acre of it in bloom now, will look for seed when it's finished.

Pix Ratibida columnifera yellow (Mexican Hat), I have this growing wild, any interested?
Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9244343

I am still figuring out my seed list, but I noticed that in Todays Articles on the right of my homepage, there is an article about Ellen Wilmott. One of the seeds I have is Potentilla nepalensis 'Miss Willmott', named after her. I've always wondered who it was named after but I never took the time to look it up.

Thumbnail by roxxanne

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9244707

I have many different Dierama 'Angels Fishing Rods'...

Good Idea Everyone - Write/Type you "WANTS' and Don't Wants and put it in with your seeds to me. I don't want anyone to be disappointed. Because I am going through Post and keeping up with your wants on what I'm reading here. But if I have a list it would make it very easy...You don't have to but it would help :-)

Thanks!

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 2:20 PM
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9246105

@WWKathy, The Liatris is a wild one , not kobold (one that is in nurseries usually). That would be awesome if you have some of either, or any Liatris (that isn't kobold).
I recently acquired some Saguaro cactus seed if someone if interested I will send a few. I have no expectations of the living here . Just thought it would be fun to try them. A few got mashed in the mail but I probably have a 1000 of them. Not sure what I would do with 1000 baby Saguaro cactus LOL

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9246139

Kathy,
I would be interested in the Yellow Mexican Hat...I recently tried to trade for a few plants and seeds and never got them...

Thanks,
KIm

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9246142

Chicory...ya, these are the wild ones. Sad to say, they are in full bloom now, will have to wait for seed, I'll try to get a pix tomorrow.

Kim...I will have to research which of the Angel's Rods would be hardy here (newly put into 6b).

I'll be posting part of my list on the other page (gosh...I ran out of bags). Here's a few of the goodies I''l be sharing. Kathy

Pix1 Dianthus deltoides Zing
pix2 Lavendula angustifolia Munstead
Pix3 Penstemon mexicali Red Rocks
Pix4 Daucus carota (5-6foot tall, biennial)
Pix5 Viola Johnny Jump Up mix

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9246175

I like the "mexican hat" too. I'm a sucker for a pretty wildflower and have been spotted taking seeds off plants on the side of the road. I have that lavender and I'm trying to root cuttings in my greenhouse. It is the most beautiful lavender in my opinion, and often gets "oohs and ahhs" from visitors so anyone looking at that one should try it.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9246224

Gosh...let me know how that rooting does for you...I lost several plants this year and either need to grow more, or like you root them (lol much faster).

Ok...I'll be looking for some Ratibida to harvest tomorrow, I have several plants that have been allowed to seed themselves into my border, and more in the feilds. I also have wild roses (very fragrant pink), wild Yucca filimentosa, wild Lupine, wild Bluebells, wild sunflowers (they branch and get to 4-6ft if irrigated), and wild asters. Actually I swiped (oh I'm sorry...I borrowed them, lol), the seed for Daucus carota, (it grew wild along the irrigation ditches that ran thru a small town I lived in). The pix is #4 above, and it was absolutely beautiful, 6Ft tall and the fragrance was so soft and sweet . It's great in bouquets and is also a host plant for Swallow Tail butterflies (both the yellow and the blue). Later , Kathy

Pix1 Scabiosa columbaria Blue (+)
Pix2 Top clockwise: Wild Sunflower (+),Daisey Becky at 48" (+), Penstemon strictus Rocky Mountain (Blue) (+), umopened Catanche carulea, Lavendula angustifolia Munstead just beginning to open (+), Veronica spicata Sight Seeing (Blue at 28", taller than most veronicas and blooms all season), and the center is Malva Party Girl.
Pix3 My stand with hundreds of plants of the fragrant: Hesperis matronalis (+), ealy spring
Pix4 Limonium latifolium can get to 48", looked today and I will begin collecting tomorrow there's plenty I can harvest, (+)
Pix5 Digitalis (does anyone recognize this one, it's true PERENNIAL foxglove and has a long bloom season, 18-24"?)(+)
All (+) are seeds I'm sending.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2012 10:58 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9246264

WWK Love your garden very pretty. We just moved to ours so I am still making beds and planning. The house we bought was a foreclosure and had no lawn and no landscaping (Thank God because I would have ripped it out),
So I have a few things I managed to get going after we got my GH up and going,
I can wait fro seed I winter sow most of my perennials.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9246475

Hola yall,
I am truly humbled ay reding all
your haves !

I still need to do my lists, but it will
fade in comparison to all yours

I love ratibida, but reallt dont care
for most yellow blooms, so will be
contribyting some deep red/maronish
ones.

I have been drooling in anticipation !

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9248174

I just purchased Ratibida "Red Midget" I really wish I hadn't jumped ahead especially not knowing what all yall had. I would love some of the red-maroon tones. So pick extras for me! ha ha :-) Thanks

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9248214

so glad it is something you want !

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9248479

Lol...ya the red/yellow variety is also wild but don't remember seeing any out there in the fields, just straight yellow, but I'll give a look.
Thanx Chicory, it's still a work in progress, or should I say a love in progress, Yup, I started with a 1 acre of feild grasses and some weeds. Wow...what a chore it has been reclaiming feilds that have grown wild since forever...
Some of the wild grasses are the hardest to get rid of, but I'm gaining in some areas and others...well, that's definately a work in progress...My style is definately English Cottage tho.. Pix #1, Prince Charles Clematis and Gypsophila paniculata (trying to collect more seed to include in this trade).

Is anyone interested in Adenophora lilifolia (related to campanula), is so I'll look for seed, (it reseeds and spreads by runners, 30" ish., NORMALLY it blooms June-July, this year it's still in bloom, part sun/shade, I have it in full sun, but I live at 6800feet). Pix #2.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9248509

WWK, I am impressed with your flowers. I'd like the Adenophora lilfolia, what an pretty flowering plant!
I can see I am going to have to fence off some spots for large flowering plants (the deer here eat everything).
I have been trying to sell plants locally but people just have no taste in plants, LOL. They all want cute little succulents, which of course I love, but there are so many cool flowering plants out there to try. They had no interest in my rose campion so I just planted 50 of them in my own back yard! I lost most of my foxglove this year, not sure why, so I have some room to try some new flowers. I'm getting more and more into the "cottage" garden look. This week I am taking out an old rosemary hedge and replacing it with hydrangeas in 15 gallon pots, surrounded by other lower growing flowers, that will make some color in my primarily green garden.
midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

August 22, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9249774

Nice to see others who appreciate the English cottage garden look. We live in an 1870's Victorian farmhouse, so it seemed appropriate to go for that style. The pink and white herbaceous peonies had already been here for over 50 yrs., and I brought some from my Great Grandmother's starts when I moved in 29 yrs. ago which go back at least 100 yrs. This fall I'll be gathering seeds from 2 old fashioned roses that came from an abandoned farmhouse on our property. One is a light pink (Rugosa?), the other a darker pink climber. I named the darker pink Bertha Lovett, after the lady who planted them many decades ago, and the other I named after myself (sorry, couldn't resist!), Mary Elaine. I haven't tried to start them from seed, but anyone can give it a try if they like. I have already gathered seeds from the pale peach rambler Leontine Gervais, that I planted about 10 yrs. ago.

Thumbnail by midwestfarmwife   Thumbnail by midwestfarmwife

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9249932

Mary I would love a cutting of the rose on the left if that's possible? I am a fan of any Old Roses...
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9249999

I love cutting of both, and seed. The colors are very pretty.
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 22, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9250027

midwestfarmwife, I would love to give the seed a try. I love the cottage look, and bought my first David Austens this year.

Elsa
midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

August 22, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9250030

Certainly! I'm not experienced with cuttings. What is the best time and the best length to cut them?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9250070

I don't have any tips for cutting roses...I just get them to root...LOL! Any pieces you send me will be great. Let me send you a dmail. I am really excited about this Older rose. I have grown rose from seeds too...They just like extreme cold treatment. But Roses are one of the most Cold hardy plants ever. I've read reports of them blooming in below zero temps! When I was a little girl we use to have 2 red climbing roses in the front yard...great memories. My mother has removed them over 20 years ago...sigh

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 22, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9250095

Kim, it is amazing how some things from a person's youth stands out. My mom never has been a great gardener - even today, with me giving her lots of plants and seeds, I have to keep reminding her to water / weed / sow seeds etc. Age also plays a part... But, I remember her having made a bed in front of the sitting room window when I was about 11 years old, and growing Thalictrum, sweet peas, ranunculus, daffodils and allysum that specific year. I remember picking some flowers for her room, and the fragrance of the sweet peas. Unfortunately that is the only garden memory I have. :-)
Got my love for gardening from my granddad. Luckily he made up for it.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9250121

I will try to see if I have any Thalictrum seeds for you Elsa...I have a huge 7 feet tall one that does not produce seeds (that I have seen). I think I'm steering away from hybrids and non-natives. Lately I have found appreciation for native plants.

It's name is Splendide

Thumbnail by Kim_M

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9250204

I would love to have seeds from all four roses...Please, that is if I can't have the plants, lol...Those wild roses on the right look similar to the ones I have here but mine are a light pink. Those are SOOOO pretty and I'm guessing they smell wonderful. Mine didn't bloom much this year with the drought, but last year and previous...OH the smell of acres of roses is spectaular!!!! Too bad they only bloom once in early summer. I've tried digging them so I could replant in the border where I want them but it seems they have no rootball, only LONG stems which eventually grow but...WIFE do yours do the same?
Back outside, sprinkles quite, maybe more later!!!! Got more bags yesterday, packaging more seed tonight including the Ratibida collected the other day..Kathy

Pix 1&2 my homemade seed starting plant stands.

Thalictrum
Noordwijk
Netherlands

August 22, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9250305

Hi Kim
I do have some seeds of Thalictrum delavayi. I do have Thalictrum Rochebruneanum growing in my garden. This Thalictrum looks like yours. I have each year some seeds. Hope to be able to harvest some this year.
If I do obtain some seeds I will include them with the seeds I will be sending.
Greetings
Ria
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9250359

Thanks Ria that would be great!

Well as far as roses...I do have Polyantha Rose 'The Fairy'. It is very very prolific and blooms from Early Summer until Frost. It's a very large shrub width wise.

Thumbnail by Kim_M

midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

August 22, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9250720

I checked the old fashioned roses this afternoon. The Bertha Lovett has formed some seed pods which are round and tinged with orange. I don't see any on the light pink one or the Bourbon Rose, Variegata di Bologna. I'm willing to trade for cuttings on any of them. The Boubon Rose is a large sized shrub with big canes that reach clear up over the Burning Bush nearby.

Kim's Polyantha is pretty. Is it fragrant? I would like to have a Musk Rose for the fragrance. I had a catalog from a nursery years ago that specialized in old fashioned own-root roses. I think it was called High Country Roses.

Has anyone tried to start ornamental trees from cuttings? My Yoshino Cherry has been developing many suckers at the base which I have been pruning. This tree is a honey bee magnet! It looks like a fluffy, white cloud in the spring.

Thumbnail by midwestfarmwife

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 22, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9250790

Kim, your Thalictrum is stunning! What is the name of the other plant in the photo? It is a winning combination.

Thanks guys, I would really appreciate any Thalictrum seed that you may have to share...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9250805

Kim ~ I am definitely interested in your Hibiscus syriacus 'Totus Albus'. How many years does it take before you see flowers on it? Also I would LOVE petunia 'Dreams White'.

I will get my have list organized in a while as my seeds are out of order right now.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 10:58 PM
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9251116

I'm not sure about that Evelyn...All I know is the seeds are doing terrible! Every pod is producing non-viable seeds. And some are rotting before they are ripening. It is crowed with some other bushes and I've thought about cutting it down. The bush is gorgeous and the flowers are big and white. I would suggest you let me send you some cuttings for postage. You are better off rooting these...which is easy.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9251205

I have 3 rooted Brugmansia cuttings that I need someone to take off my hands (double white and pink). One is named and I'll give the name through dmail. I actually went out of my way to trade for them. And after a month still have not planted them. I do this to myself every year with Brugmansias. I love them so much I grow them from seeds and cuttings and can't over winter them...No greenhouse. Last year I lost so many because they didn't survive the cold garage. I decided to come out of denial...ha ha ha LOL. When I get a greenhouse I will grow them again...sigh

If you have anything Cold hardy and native I would love to have it. If not I will be letting these go for postage.

Ohhhh Elsa...editied to answer your question. It's a Eupatorium 'Gateway' with. But the meadow rue is actually falling over into the other plant...LOL Instead of staning straight like it's suppose to.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 11:34 AM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9251513

Ok...I finished my list for now, but who knows I MAY just find somemore goodies to add...

I saw that Thalictrum wants Rudbeckia Cherokee Sunset, check pix 1. Not sure if these are it as they were started years ago (but I do seem to remember the name) and now reseed. The flower starts out as bottom right in the pix and as they age become more prominent with the coloring. If anyone is interested let me know I will collect some, tho will only be named as Rudbeckia annual ringed, how does that sound, unless someone can identify or has a better name, lol...Flowers are 6", plants are about 36"^. I also have a few other varieties will get pix tho...

Am collecting seed from Gypsophila paniculata (pix on 8/20), and 8/18 Limonium latifolium, Veronica austriaca (spring bloom at 14-18", reseeds) pix 3.

Anyone looking for this type of cosmos, will collect if requested, pix 2, and Miscanthus sinensis.

More of my wants: midwestwife; any and all roses, all Lathrus, Lilium Martagon, Linum grandiflorum Golden AND Red Flax. And if I didn't state already from Kim the Hibiscus syriacus Totus Albus...Thanks. Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9251557

The Veronica austriaca is a very nice looking plant!
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 23, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9251823

warriorswisdomkathy,

Would love some of your cosmos...

Elsa
Thalictrum
Noordwijk
Netherlands

August 24, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9252367

Would love to have some seeds of warriorswisdomkathy's Rudbeckia and Veronica austrica. What a beautifull plant. Still waiting for a lot of my seeds to ripen. Summer started very late here. Hope for the best.

Ria
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 24, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9252402

Kim, thanks for IDing Eupatorium. Does it produce viable seed? Don't know if it is avaiable in SA. Can't say that I've seen it before.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9252419

This particular variety doesn't produce seeds that I have seen. Although most produce seeds and I believe I have pink of seeds of a pink variety. I'll put them in your bag..

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9252833

Ok...seeds of the above 3 to be included. I'll also get pix of another variety of Rudbeckia (ringed variety) and plain. I don't have names so wasn't sure if anyone would want them.

Elsa123...do you have the perennnial Osteospurmums in your garden? I know they came out of the mountains in South Africa where they are native, personnaly I just love them...

I collected seed from the tall plant on the left...It's Crambe cordifolia, (Pix 1) from the brassica family. It's lightly fragrant and can get 5-6ft. I call it a baby's breath on stilts. I did get the seed from the plant, it's little round balls, not sure if it's a pod or the seed itself, hate to waste any by breaking them open...I do know they don't reseed in the garden. Any takers so I know how many bags to make? Kathy

Pix 2 is my poppy I'm including, also verbascum phoenicium included (need to bag).

Pix 3 Valariana officinalis, need to bag, herb, smells WONDERFUL, spring bloom, 3-4ft.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9252944

Many seeds are listed here and I've used this to make sure I have seeds :-)
http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/allseeds1.html
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 25, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9252946

warriorswisdomkathy, I would love some of the crambe. I tried some from T&M a few years ago, and didn't get one seed to germinate. Would love to give it another try.

I have some Osteospermum getting ready to flower. I included some shades of purple/pink in my envelope. If they are not included in your baggie, let me know, and I'll mail you some. The ones in my garden are dark purple spoon daisies, as well as a more apricot color. Can't find the photo now - will ask DH to have a look on his PC. If you would like some of their seed, I will let the flowers go to seed.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9252967

Yeah! We want spoon daisies...LOL
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 25, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9252981

Okay, I will let them form seed, and mail it to you when ready. Holding thumbs, as I've always deadheaded them when they finished flowering. Don't know why - it's not as if they ever had a second flush of flowers.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9253315

Yup...that's what the Crambe cordifolia seeds look like so I won't crack them open. Not sure of what of what their growing requirements are tho, probably heat and lights of a indoor setup...Let me look them up...trying to find my Thompson and Morgan seed catalog as they list requirements in their catalog to start each type of seed..if i find I will edit this post...Kathy

Here's another type of Rudbeckia that I have but not the specifics as to which it is, tho is annual and reseeds in the garden, any takers ?

Crambe cordifolia: germination 7-14 days at 60-65*, 7 seeds for $3.99. Like I say, they have never reseeded out doors for me, will bag up several for those who might be interested, when i can find where I put the seed, lol.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 12:30 PM

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9253398

Just wanted to share something I made today...some of you know I make rosaries and string beads when I'm not gardening :-). I grew these beads in my garden and I made a St. Jude pocket rosary from them...I forgot to add them to the have list. I grow them every year because they reseed. But I have seeds if anyone is interested? Just let me know.

Job's Tears (Coix lacryma-jobi):
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1868/

bartjestuin
gieten
Netherlands

August 25, 2012

Post #9253465

you have made this very beautiful kim
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 25, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9253907

Love your rudbeckia, Kathy. Here in SA the garden centres sometimes offer yellow rudbeckia plants.

Beautiful rosaries... I grew Job's tears a few years ago. The children just loved making jewelry from the seeds.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2012
2:30 AM

Post #9253946

Kim, I would love to get some seeds of the Job's Tears, I'll add it to my wish list.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9254167

Ok Great! I'll collect some before they all fall to the ground :-)
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9254176

Elsa...Well that's what intrigued me to get into rosary/jewelry making. I saw a rosary made from these seeds and I was amazed (inspired) after that. Then I made a bracelet and sold it on eBay and for the last 2 years I've been making all kinds of jewelry. I even have rosary pea seeds which people have used to make jewelry. These seeds are said to be poisonous though...but have them too if anyone interested?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/55612/
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 26, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9254180

Kim, I would love a few. They are beautiful. I would love to grow them for jewelry for myself. I love wearing black in winter...
bartjestuin
gieten
Netherlands

August 26, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9254197

please i want some to if you have
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9254201

Okkkk I'll put them in your bag now before I forget.
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 26, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9254296

Kim, please let me know if I must send you extra postage. I suspect my envelope is going to be extra heavy with all the extras. :-)
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9254316

LOL! ha ha

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9254869

Was chatting with midwestfarwife in a d-mail and I asked if she knew why Physostegia had the common name of Obedient Plant...So here's the answer for those that don't know this little tidbit...Each flower along the stem can be moved and adjusted to face another direction and stay...Hence obediant plant...Cool huh?!

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9255427

That is very interesting! And I just got rid of all my obedient plant to play with the flowers to see if that's correct...ha ha.

Seeds arrived today from Alana and Mary...Thanks!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9255529

I know marigolds aren't uncommon flowers. But I have Pretty Ones! he he he...if anyone is interested I have seeds of each one individually just picked today. I like them because they are lacy and not puffy puffs

French Marigolds (Tagetes Patula) Safari series
1. Safari Yellew
2. Safari Red
3. Safari Orange

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 27, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9255534

Your marigolds are beautiful, Kim. I love the fragrance of them in the vegetable garden...
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9255600

Yeah...I plant them all around the tomatoes to keep bugs away. It's one of those scents you either love it or don't..The yellow ones are very happy flowers :-) I just came in from seed picking.
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 27, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9255635

Kim, you have just convinced me - please add a few seeds to my envie. You are more that welcome to mix them.

Thanks
bartjestuin
gieten
Netherlands

August 27, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9255646

kim i like all different kinds of marigolds if you have some seeds for me please

thank you
marjolein
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9255657

Ok I sure will send you some marjolein :-) They bring a lot of lasting continual color to the garden.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9256022

Elsa are you sure you want them mixed? I have them separated...but can add some from each bag.
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 27, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9256456

Kim, doesn't matter. Seperate would br great, but was thinking about the number of baggies..
midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

August 28, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9256634

I have several kinds of Marigold seeds also. One of my favorite is Gypsy Sunshine which is pictured in my Have list. From one little packet of seeds I now have grocery bags full of seeds! It forms nice mounds of flowers that are great for the border. Flagstaff is another that I want to try next year. It is supposed to be a tall variety, and the old standby, Crackerjack Mix, Jaguar, a few Snowdrift. I am leaving some out, and will post more later today. If anybody wants to do a private trade, let me know since I already sent my seeds to Kim.
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9257102

My goodness! So many wonderful seeds! I'll take one of everything! Seriously!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9257351

Wrong Label...Nice Surprise. I received these seeds as Datura Inoxia (meteloides) which I really wanted to grow. Also I was looking for a single large white bloom. Today I got my first bloom...obviously not a single white bloom but a nice surprise :-). Every one should get what their seed packs are labeled. But remember this does happen around here. The most I can guarantee is that any seeds that I personally picked will be True to labeled...LOL ha ha

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 4:19 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9257804

Hey Kim...I have seed pods of Datura metaloides ripening in the garden at the moment...and yes they are the single variety...Atleast with this one I don't have to worry about the deer getting to them. I'm just waiting for it to grow to full size before I harvest and there are hundreds of seeds per pod, and for those that don't know they reseed in the garden from year to year if you let a few ripen on the plant, pop and drop. I'll try to get a pix of the flower tomorrow...Kathy

Pix is Dracocephalum moldavicum, annual at 12-18" and reseeds lightly in the garden, am hoping the deer leave me some, probalby will cuz they are herby smelling, which they hate!!!

midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

August 29, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9257995

That double yellow Datura is really pretty!

My other Tagetes:

Sunset Giants Mix - 26", carnation flowered
Burpee's Best Mix - 12", French mix, double 2 1/2" blooms in red, gold, orange
Disco Mix - 8"-12", single 2" blooms
Dwarf French Mix - 9"-10", bushy, mostly double, orange-reds and yellow
Sparky Mix - 9"-12", double French, small yellow and orange blooms

Picture is Gypsy Sunshine which forms large mounds with numerous blooms. They make a nice companion plant for Mums in the fall.

Thumbnail by midwestfarmwife

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9258149

Growing over a Holly Bush and bloomed today. Brazilian Morning Glory (Ipomoea setosa)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/106134/

Beautiful Plant! You have to see it in person to really appreciate it. The stems are covered with purple spine-like hairs. They look like they are prickly and when touched... as soft as hair. The leaves are unlike the shape of any Morning Glory and very large. I will definitely grow this again...very rewarding. I don't grow any vines because I have no where to grow them. But I let this one grow in a pot and go where ever it want to go. I am going to build some arbors or something so i can enjoy vines. Because morning glorys are prolific

Thumbnail by Kim_M

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9258816

Got a few pix to share:

Pix 1 is Datura metloides
Pix 2,3,&4 are Iris setosa or spuria ( have 35 seeds of ONE of these)
Pix 5 is definately iris setosa v. canadensis 'Nana' (I. hookeri),, I have approx 30 seeds of this one.

Please read up on germination before requesting as they require specific conditions. I did find a site on google from Canada that sells seed and specifically gives instructions. I located plants from The Denver Botanic Gardens Spring Sale. They have numerous patches throughout the rock gaden site. They have theirs planted in scree, mine are in just plain garden soil ammended with peat moss. I got some new ones this spring and will definately keep track of the tags in the future, lol...they are native to the colder climes of North America. I will divide the seed down to no less than 5 per pack, and I would like to send one to the Netherlands is she wants...(bartj.) They bloom about the same time as German bearded Iris, are approx 18"^. Next year I'll try to get more seed, I suspect my drought has something to do with seed count being low this year. Hope there are some who might enjoy!!!! Kathy

scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9260051

Anyone have seeds of pink Antwerp hollyhock, alcea ficifolia?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9260122

I believe I've seen them amongst all these seeds...I'll pull them if I find them.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 31, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9260841

OK Kim, get ready I have decided to Win the Lottery, and move right next door to you , and by land, and pay you to teach me EVERYTHING you know:) about seeds, annuals, perennials, and anything else that grows!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9260930

LOL! LOL! I want to hit the Lottery too!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9265708

Been sitting in front of the television, filling packages, and sorting through seeds the last few days :-). Many seeds from my list are already grabbed. I've even filled wish list of seeds I never posted as Having. So if you have any wants make sure to post them! Nonetheless there's a lot of seeds already in and lots more to come. So your package will have some of your wants but many surprises!

Also I know that many people harvest seeds well into November... and later depending on your location. I'm thinking of doing another swap in January :-) Maybe "Fall Harvest Swap" LOL

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9266551

Well, now I've done it, I've created a new gardener. I went away for the weekend and asked my 4 year grand-daughter to collect the canna seeds for me while I was away because "she was the only one who knows how to do it". My daughter said she collected some seeds in the garden today and wanted to plant them in a little clay pot. Is that cute or what. I was a little worried she wouldn't want to be my "garden buddy" when she started screaming in terror and wanting "up" at the sight of a snail. But now when we see one she says "I like snails".
I collected seeds off of my purple tie-dye glads today. I will see if I can find some germination information for them.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9266553

Aweeee that is sooo sweet! None of my children want anything to do with gardening. I have a 5 year old daughter who shows interest. She loves to go outside with me and pick flowers. She's number 6 of 7 children...4 are grown.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 7, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9268330

Wow Kim you are very blessed with a great family! And...Dome how sweet is your granddaughter! My package is on the way! I didn't send a list of wants...I am open to any and all:) If there are any hellebros (sp?) I would love them!
Have a great evening everyone!
Alicia
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9268466

Yup I have some Helleborus for you :-)

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 8, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9269328

Awesome Kim! I am SOOOO excited!! thank you!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9272994

Just wanted to let everyone know that Euroblooms - Plant for Hope (Susan G. Komen) has put out their new bulbs. And can be purchased at Walmart for far less then the online stores ($5-$10 a bag). This Fall Lovely Tulip 'Angelique' can be purchased there. I'm on my way to Walmart to see if they have any :-)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2285/

Thumbnail by Kim_M

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9273468

I have too many bunnies and deer for tulips. So Allium and Daffodils for me...
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9273484

Aweeee Ohhh Noooo...I have bunnies too. But I guess they aren't interested in tulips. They eat the Bistort...
midwestfarmwife
Jamestown, OH

September 12, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9273493

Tried an experiment last year when I saw bulbs 75% off at Lowe's - can't resist a bargain! Even though it was probably Dec. at the time, I bought a few packs of tuplips and Giant Allium and had our son dig me a hole (ground wasn't frozen). All the bulbs went into the same area. In the spring when they appeared, we dug them up and moved them into flowerbeds. They bloomed and looked great! They were super cheap at that time. If you don't mind really cold weather, you could put them individually where you want them in Dec. Guess I'm not that 'cold hardy', so winter gardening isn't for me.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9273509

I garden until frost...I love it because the bugs are gone! LOL
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9274781

You can also heavily mulch a bed in anticipation of a bulb sale. when you get the bulbs pull back the mulch, plant the bulbs and use the mulch else where. Mulching will keep the soil warmer . The mulch could be a bale of straw, bagged mulch anything. That's how I did it when I lived in New England and John Scheeper bulbs went on sale =)
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9275004

Well my seeds are ready to go now I was waiting to see if the Croscomia was going to be ready but they will not be.
I went through the list and will be sending things that some people wanted, some will be going out privately.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9275115

Ok Great! Did you send me a Want List? :-)

Yesterday I purchased Crown Imperial Fritillaria 'Rubra' (Fritillaria imperialis) at Home Depot...In all my years looking at their bulbs. This is the first time I have ever seen them for sale locally. I have ordered them over seas and had someone in Utah send me one. But never for sale in a store. I will plant them very deep...hope to see them next year.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9275989

Not yet, I was still thinking , I will paypal the postage to you also.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9277747

Hi Everyone!

I've been working on Seed packs for hours today...Some I have repackaged for various reasons. Just want to let everyone know that if I can read the labels I think you can too. If for any reason you receive a seed pack that you can't make out. Please post what you think it spells and I will clarify. But honestly I have gone through every pack and if I have a problem reading it then I re-wrote it. Any package you receive I can CLEARLY read it.

Sooooo I'm hoping you can too :-)

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 17, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9278099

Awesome Kim! Thank you so much for all your hard work!
Alicia
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9278121

Ohhhhh Paypal..

I forgot tell mention the charge. When sending Paypal PLEASE choose "Send to Friends and Family" Or I am charged because I am a eBay/business seller and the account is charged fees. So I really don't get the full amount you send.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9279172

Ok glad you mentioned that.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9280187

Just a friendly reminder tomorrow is the deadline to mail your seeds off to me is: September 20th 2012. If you need a little time please let me know so I can make note. The seeds would have to be in my possession by the 29th.

Thanks so much!
Kim
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9280561

I put mine in today. So hopefully you should have them by the weekend.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9286156

Just in Case anyone is interested in Coneflowers. I have a Co-op posted today :-)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9288236

Hey Kim ...just to let you know..plant that Fritillaria far away from where you spend time outdoors during bloom time...Everything I've read about them says they stink...not sure but just a warning...Oh, I forgot to ask who has dropped out so I can deleat any wants from their list, can send me a d-mail...thanks...am looking forward to my goodies...Kathy

Pix is Ammi visagana, included, 'spose to be about 48" but this year only made it to 6", annual that reseed lightly, great for filler in bouquets.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9288244

The bulbs stink! LOL...not the flowers or plant. The smell like a skunk. I've grown them before...but lost them through a move many years ago. Nice looking plants..

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9288409

Lol...I didn't want to be that blunt...Maybe I should get some for the Deer...Hey that's an idea!!!!! So the flowers don't? From what I had read they said that was the reason to plant them at the back of the border...Kathy.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9288469

No the Flowers are ok smelling...Ooooo Those are really cute! Are they johnny jump ups? pansies

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 28, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9288995

alright Kathy, I'm dying here! Every pic you post is amazing!!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9289914

Hi Everyone! It's almost over and Packages are scheduled to mail out Next Friday. If all goes well...I'm still picking seeds, sorting, and re-labeling.

Also I wanted to give you heads up...most of my seeds are packed in pink 4 mil Anti-static bags. These are expensive quality (as far as bags go). I wouldn't throw them away but re-use them, the labels peel off well, and they are great to have! No seeds will stick to the inside of the bag...not even the tiniest.

Happy Gardening Everyone :-)
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9290032

Kim
Where did you buy the anti static bags?

Thanks
Kerrie
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9290036

ULINE - http://www.uline.com

I get all my envelopes, boxes and stuff from them
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9290420

Ok Thanks

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9290731

The time slipped away and seeds will be on their way back next week! That did not seem to take long. Thanks Kim, for what I know has been a lot of work. Now it's time to think about the Piggy Swap. Thank goodness for seed swaps to keep me thinking of spring while I wait, lol.
Alana

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9291015

Yes, those are Viola Johnny Jump Ups and yes, I did include them in this trade. I started a tray of 32, years ago and just let them reseed at will...Now I just collect and throw into several areas of the garden. I have enough to consider them as a ground cover and since my altitude is more than 1 mile high and our cooler summers (normally), allow them to bloom the whole season. I did pick up some staight orange and straight yellow to add to the mix.

I was hoping to get reseda oderata to do the same,(reseeding), but alas the deer have found them and now use them as an appetizer. I will beat them at their own game one of these years!!!!! I just love their smell...Kathy

Pix 1: Reseda oderata
Pix 2: More JJs and Dianthus X Loveliness

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9304804

UPDATE:

Everyone's packages I have tried to give special thought instead of just splitting up the packages and blindly putting them in each bag. Even looking through your Dave's Garden want list. I mailed and/or prepared all the International packages... with hopes that it will give them a chance to get there because USA will be receiving theirs this coming week. I know my original mail date was October 5th but I asked for another 7 days because I had been working on packages every day. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't do something concerning these packages. Also each one weighs differently and have to be weighed accordingly.

Nonetheless...everyone's wants were being filled first. Some have much more wants and (please don't be disappointed) every want wont be fulfilled. Yesterday I went to get some more Datura 'Black Currant Swirl' seeds to add to everyone's package and there was a snake there to await me. So I got all bummed out and didn't want to go back but side! LOL. I HATE SNAKES and I hadn't seen one in 10 years. I can deal with all my critters...frogs...grasshopper..rabbits, deer. Just not a snake!!!

But once again...you will receive an email automatically when your package ships this week.

*** When you get your seeds Pleaseeee post and let everyone know if you're happy with your seeds :-)
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9308690

I don't do snakes either...
Thank you for doing this. I think any swap, trade , co-op takes a lot of time. Not sure how anyone can estimate a time period. But I think only asking for a few more days is not that big a deal.
Thank you again for your time and efforts.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9309647

I moved from NC trying to get away from them...LOL

Everyone got Canna's...why? Because so many came in :-) If you have never grown them from seed, give them a try. Very rewarding and they bloom fast and Can be grown as an annual. I nick the seed and then drop them in a cup of water, then just leave them. After a some days they germinate in the water. Everybody does it different...some put them in the ground but that takes too long for me. I start mine in April and they bloom around June. They bloom until frost and sometimes I dig them and bring a bulb inside (sometimes not if i save the seed). Hope this helps...
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9309806

I have only seen one so far , and one skin that I am sure belonged to an Anaconda.
I still have cannas blooming here. I got them in late but it is nice to have them now. They are are a pinky apricot and look awesome with the fall colors.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2012

Post #9309813

Anaconda?? That would freak me out!!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9310006

Well maybe it isn't that big , but even Garter snakes seem like that to me. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America