Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Tomato Varieties

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 3, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9212531

Thought I would share this website with tomato variety descriptions:

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/tomato-varieties/
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 20, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9212654

I went through the list and clicked on many that I introduced and found lots and lots of errors . Many were listed as heirlooms when indeed they were recently bred and many were listed as heirlooms when they were the result of natural cross pollination.

So I'm going to link to Tania's site which IMO is far superior to the Rutgers site and Tania has pages for now over 3,000 varieties, most with pictures, comments by folks who have grown the varieties as well as seed sources if there are any.

Does she have ALL the info about every variety, nope, but no errors just a few where the histories are not complete or not much is known about a variety at all other than the name.

Enjoy!

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are many ways to search for varieties at her site. If you know the name use the alphabetical method but you can also search by color, shape, plant habit, and even place of origin.

A totally great site IMO and the opinions of many others and many of them here at DG and well, message sites galore.

Carolyn

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9215262

I really didn't check for errors, just saw it as I was looking up some info and book marked it. It's funny one would expect a college database to be fairly accurate.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 24, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9216817

I agree since Rutgers University has many outreach programs for commercial farmers in NJ and their folks have also been instrumental in suggesting new ways to grow tomatoes, especially b/c so many commercial farmers, the smaller ones, are turning to heirloom varieties, which are in demand and that list is mainly non-F1 varieties.

But what is, is.

I'll go back and look at it again to see if I can find out exactly who generated that list, whether it be Master Gardeners, full time faculty, whatever.

Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America