Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Plants: Aucuba Japonica "Crotonifolia"

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 6, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9212641

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope it's ok here.

After doing a bit of reading about my favourite variety of Aucuba, I am curious... what does "Crotonifolia" mean? The "folia" part refers to its foliage, that part is easy... but I can't figure out the "Crotoni" part.. does this refer to the plant genus Croton? In what way? All of my google searching has yielded me nothing, but I'm pretty confident someone here can help.

Thanks! =)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9212853

Crotonifolia would mean foliage that looks like Croton. Not having ever seen the plant I couldn't say if that's really an accurate description or not, but clearly whoever named the plant felt there was a similarity.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 20, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9212868

It's just a registered variety name, likening its leaves to those of Crotons (Codiaeum genus, not Croton genus).

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9213302

The picture from our Plant Files here http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/170876/ sure does have leaves that look like a Croton.

Jmho, seems like the guy naming those didn't have much imagination, we have 'Serratafolia' and 'Longifolia' too. LoL

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 11:38 AM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9213594

Tropicbreeze, oh dear, my Freudian slip was showing there, wasn't it? ;) Thank you for the correction. :)

Ecrane and Dyzzy, thank you, and LOL, yes, very imaginative indeed, eh? I had a feeling it had something to do with the Croton, but wasn't sure exactly what the connection was. "Looks like" makes perfect sense. Thank y'all again. =)
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 21, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9213890

Speediebean, not to worry. We have native Crotons here, as in genus Croton. We also have Crotons (genus Codiaeum) but I can't understand why they would use the scientific name for one of them as the common name for the other. The plants are quite different. So whenever I see the word Croton, the mix up always comes to mind.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
2:59 AM

Post #9214050

With all the (tens of? hundreds of?) thousands of plants that exist, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to find a name for one. Worse than Mom and Dad just bringing forth daughter number 12 and being unsure as to what to name her!! < ;P "Longifolia" is one good example.. just waiting for "Verdifolia". Ooooh look, it's got green leaves!! < =D LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America