Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Overwintering a Clematis?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9212974

Can I plant some clematis (clematii?) in a pot and overwinter them in a dormant state in my basement? I (think) I already have plans for my super cute, bargain tomato pot next spring.

Edited to add: without the use of grow lights. Thank you!!

This message was edited Jul 20, 2012 9:52 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9213005

Clematis don't need to be overwintered inside, they can stand outside

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9213018

Even in a pot - zone 6a? I have the perfect pot/trellis combo that I want to plant clematis in. I have to wait until my Roma tomato plant kicks it at the end of this season. I was thinking forward to planting something new in it next spring.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 21, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9213270

You could simply sink the pot in the ground to overwinter it outdoors... if that's even necessary in your climate.
For successful overwintering in a dormant state indoors, you need a cold room, i.e. a basement room that can be kept at slightly above freezing (not room temperature) and totally dark. Otherwise, the plant will not stay dormant.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9213272

Should be fine--wouldn't hurt to doublecheck your particular variety, but many of them are hardy a couple zones colder than you. So while being in a pot can knock a bit off the hardiness, you're far enough above the cold end of their range that it should be OK.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 27, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9220506

I agree with the others and would say your Clematis ahould be fine in a pot over the winter in your zone, The winter weather here in Scotland can be anything from zone 5 - 3 but NOT for very long periods.
All I would add is if pos, repot NOW, into a larger pot so you can sink the plant deeper under the soil in larger pot and top dress with more compost, IF you dont get ground freeze in your area just top dress the pot with leaf mold for winter to help preven frost in the evenings, or as sugested, sink the larger pot into the garden maybe in a more sheltered area and bring the plant and pot out, come early spring,

When you do plant this clematis out in the garden or realy large pot with a trelis, add plenty compost / manure to the soil as you plant, they like a good rich soil, shaded or cool root area, but top /foliage in sunshine on a frame or wires to climb and to achieve this, after you plant the Claematis and fill in the hole you can cover the root area with plaenty of leaf mold or even a flat larger stone Paver or similar.
make sure you water after planting out in the garden and give a sprind dressing of plant food and rake this in.
Make sure you choose the right spot as once established, lot's of Clematis dont like to be disturbed by transplanting.
Good luck. Weenel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America