Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trash to Treasure: HOW TO - Make faux sea glass Part 11

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 90, Views: 985
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9213371

A wonderful group of many people have contributed to this idea-filled thread
about making treasures from broken or cut glass bits, started in 2007.

Coming from our last thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230039/

Hope you will enjoy!

Karen

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

velveteena
Seattle, WA

July 21, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9213494

Karen, that last thread was so long, I couldn't read it all. I'm sure it said somewhere in there NOT to dump your slurry down the drain when rinsing the glass or crockery bits. Just a reminder for those who don't want to see the plumber any time soon! I was curious about the reason for putting Vaseline on the outside of the barrel. My husband gave me a tumbler several years ago, but it seemed to amateur, as well as complicated, for me. Now I don't know if we still have it or not. Rats! Maybe I'll just avoid this obsession and do some simple beach combing for the real thing...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 21, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9213511

I'm here too !

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9213976

I'm here too, and having a ball with my new faux sea glass and the little bit of tiny shiny tumbled blue glass!! Time to bust up something else!

Thanks again y'all!
--
Bev
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9214219

Budweiser came out with beer in a blue bottle . I buy it and offer a bottle to friends that drink beer, when they stop by .

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9214336

The blue Budweiser beer bottles are the ones I just tumbled, too. They're a sparkly dark blue if tumbled in water with a drop of dish soap for 1 day, and a dark opaque blue finished if tumbled with coarse sand for 4 days.

The neck and bottom pieces are thicker than the rest and retained their original molded imprints (letters, numbers, dots, screw rings...) through the resulting frosted surface.

The small bits of shiny glass look harmful, but none seem to be sharp. Next time I'll try 2 days to see what happens.

The tiny, narrow, pointy shards were rendered harmless after sand tumbling and now can be used as "teeth or claws" in projects.

Each piece has unique qualities making my mind crazy with possible uses! I'm super excited about the results.

Sorry the pieces are not more defined, the camera focused on the containers and not the glass.

Thumbnail by Sundownr   Thumbnail by Sundownr
Click an image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9214495

Thanks , Bev . After another six pack or so , for more blue in my bottle tree , I'll start saving them for shards . Your's look good .

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9214548

Thanks digger. My son brought home the blue beer bottles because they were so pretty. He said, "I don't know what you could do with mom..." After I cleaned them up, I got my hammer out, and he nearly had a heart attack, lol!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9214600

Have any of you heard of "fried marbles" (using the clear floral ones)? They're not fried, but baked in the oven (500* for 20 min), then dropped into a bucket of ice water which makes them shatter inside. They can be used as "crystals" for necklaces, but I use them as miniature crystal balls or gazing balls for miniatures. A small percentage of the marbles will break into pieces, so I tumbled the broken chunks with my blue bottle shards and they're beauties too!

My apologizes if I missed a previous post about the marbles!

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9214707

These kids just don't understand "art " . Keep after him tho , because he shows promise . LOL

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 22, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9214847

My tumbler has been idle for way too long. In fact, I don't know where DH put the tumbler. Those blue bottles are so pretty,

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9214997

digger, he rarely comments on my crazy recyclable hoarding, and is sometimes amazed at what can be produced from them. So he's watching and hopefully learning!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9215026

Smart boy !
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9216023

Hubby tried the blue Bud just for me, but after he finished the six pack, he
said "I'm sorry, honey, I just can't do it."
LOL

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 23, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9216061

Yeah , I haven't found anyone that likes it , I don't care for beer , DH might drink one on a hot day, prefers hiballs . I offer them to friends that stop by but I'm running outta friends that haven't already tried them . LOL Hope they don't pull them off the market before I get a bunch of bottles .

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9216641

I didn't like the taste of the blue Bud beer either, but willing to collect the empties from those who do, lol. I wonder if the bars will save bottles for you?

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9233896

A warning to other newbies: One should NOT use just any old oil on rock tumbler parts! I grabbed some cooking oil in a rush (couldn't find the 3-in-1 oil) and it eventually locked up the bearings which in turn broke the belt. I thought my little tumbler was toast! It took my DH over an hour to clean it up, lubricate with the proper oil, and replace the belt. I'm back in business after learning a hard lesson!

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

August 8, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9234873

Confucius say " mineral oil for machinery, cooking oil for cooking" old Chinese proverb. {;o)
I glad your DH could clean it up.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 7:05 PM

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9234989

That's close to what DH said too, lol. The bad part was I knew better! I just got in a hurry then forgot until the lil fella went on strike! The guys gave me my own can of oil which is now stationed permanently beside the tumbler.
mad330
Valley Center, CA

August 11, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9238459

I am very confused...the instructions in the dual drum rock tumbler I bought today from Harbor Freight says specifically NOT to use sand. Where do I buy the grit I need for tumbling glass. And which grit do i need. The instructions are not for glass. That is all I plan to use it for after reading about all the fun you are all having! Thanks so much!

This message was edited Aug 11, 2012 7:33 PM

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 5:08 PM
Absynthe
Port Macquarie
Australia

August 31, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9261046

Accidently posted in the wrong thread (old version of this one). I'll repost here.

"Hi everyone. :) Don't know if anyone's still checking this thread, but I've just started tumbling. Cheap tumblers are hard to come by where I am (don't even think anywhere nearby sells them) so I'm having a go at shaking a tupperware container full of glass and sand by hand. I'm guessing it's gonna be an excellent arm workout lol. I'm up to two hours of shaking so far. Expecting it to take about 50-100 hours, so I hope it looks good by the end of it. XD

At the moment I'm tumbling some glass that I found on a beach which has only just had the sharp edges taken off. I'm hoping to get a more frosted look to make some sea glass style jewellery. "

Reply by Digger on the old thread:
"Absynthe , I would think the glass would be much more desirable if used as found .
What do the tumblers cost there , and couldn't you order online ? Glass is harder than tupperware , wonder how many tupperware you will wear out ."

Actually, the tupperware is just until I empty out the Milo tin I bought the other day. The metal should hold up a little better than plastic and it's a good way to reuse it. I've heard of people making their own tumblers using coffee tins for the barrels. I'm hoping a friend of mine can help me set up a makeshift tumbler with that.
Also, the glass I found on the beach isn't really even sea glass yet - just smashed beer bottles that have hardly even been smoothed enough to not be sharp. I wouldn't retumble anything that I thought was old or rare.
As for ordering online, I've been a bit put off by the mention of belt breakage of HF tumblers and any others I've seen are over $100. Not a purchase I'm quite ready to make at that price.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 1, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9261240

Here I am again ..
Don't know about the H F , I don't have one of those , but the ones that do can advise you . I think you can order extra belts and get a good supply stocked up to last you awhile . They can also tell you about how long the belt will last . I have a feeling some have lasted a very long time .
Absynthe
Port Macquarie
Australia

September 2, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9262217

True, but it seems a bit of a lucky dip on belt life and I can't even check overseas postage without calling someone at HF. I think I'll try and get one of my mechanically minded friends to help build one (and hope it doesn't explode XD).
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9288337

My kids don't like the Blue Bud either .. mostly because its 7% and it only takes a few to be over to limit
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

September 27, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9288456

There is a vacumn cleaner belt that fits my tumbler. A DG friend has sent them to me here, (Thanks, Cheryl) kb

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9288502

I received a box and a bag full of blue bottles from our local recycle center. Most were the Bud Platinum beer bottles, but a few were wine and liqueur bottles (I'm so excited)! One was the most beautiful shade of light turquoise I'd ever seen, "Bombay Sapphire" dry gin. It had info and graphics etched down two sides that are not tumbling out as I had expected. I think it might be interesting to discover tumbled shards with a little muted text.

Has anyone else tumbled glass with etchings? How did it work out for you?
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9304481

Hello folks,
I stumbled across these threads trying to find a bit of sea glass to buy... a link poped up and I followed it here! :)

Y'all seem to enjoy doing a lot of the things I do IE taking random junk and finding a use for it =D
DH thinks I'm crazy and a bit of a hoarder, lol.

Anyhow I'm Cicca and I'm looking forward to reading from you guys.

Oh and since I can't seem to find it anywhere is there a "market" where you guys sell your stuff? I'm looking for a pendant sized piece of seaglass in a light blue (1ish x 1ish) to finish a special project for my MIL as her Diwali gift.

Thanks,
~Cicca~

This message was edited Oct 14, 2012 2:30 AM
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 14, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9304633

Welcome, Cicca. We are always glad to welcome newcomers, especially if they are a little crrazy and hoarders, too. I tumble most of my glass but someone else might contact you by D-mail if they have what you'r looking for. I have lots of cobalt blue bottles and tumbled pieces of cobalt blue glass if you want/need any of that. hugs, katie

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

October 14, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9304737

Hi cicca,the stuff I don't keep or get coned out of by a family member I take to a church operated consignment shop, that way we both win. >>>>>>>John
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9304869

Katie,
Would you be able to send it to the states???
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I mosty putter 'round with my plants but I do enjoy crafting from time to time.
However, I'm ADD or something because I get half done and find something else that NEEDS doing... I have so many half done things laying about atm that it is driving me crazy. =)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 14, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9304894

I have sent boxes of glass to people when I'm in Ca. If I am enough recovered from knee surgery I may be in Ca. in November. If you want a pendant sized piece I might be able to get it mailed by a friend who is going north. LMK what you want. kb
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

October 14, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9305041

Welcome Cicca,

I too recently stumbled on this site and spent days reading all the posts. I enjoy crafts and have way too much "stuff" at my house. Guess that comes with crafters. I have found even more projects here I want to get into. ^_^

I hope you feel welcome and share your projects here too.

Debbie
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9311767

Welcome to all the new Tumblers
heres what I have been up to tumbled with dish soap to keep it clear but smooth im going to use it around the tub between the tile & in the shower

Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle         

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 24, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9314322

I've been hoping you would keep posting . It looks sooooooo good .

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9314472

Awesome! Looks like a LOT of work though!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9318541

Digger I been having a really hard time opening threads here on Daves much less posting or adding pictures .been rying for Days :( thanks Bev. no more work then doing regular tile .. wait till you see what Im going to do in the kitchen ...

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9319185

I can't wait to see your kitchen venture, I just hate cliff-hangers, LOL!

I have intermittent problems here on DG, too, and figured it was my old slow computer.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 29, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9319582

My puter has been behaving good lately . It's still a pain to try to post pictures and load them on this Windows 7 . I liked the XP much better .
Denim , we came around I-20 this last time but came down Hwy 59 instead of cutting over to Waco . I'm hoping to go by my sons place in Liberty Hill next April and will touch base with you to see if you're available to show off your home . O K ? Been wanting to do this for how long ? 2 years ? I just love the way you're re purposing . What a vision you have for the artful !
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9320608

It was 3 years in June that we started the house Sure hope it finished by then :)
Ordered the kitchen & office cabinets this week should be in the first week of Dec . then We can pour the counters & do the penny backsplash
all the counters will look like these .
( im in town using hispeed ... can load pictures )

Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle         

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9320640

Love it!!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9320954

I'm learning to make wire wrap jewelry to use the larger, odd-shaped, pieces of faux sea glass I've tumbled. I'm having a ball!!

Thumbnail by Sundownr   Thumbnail by Sundownr   Thumbnail by Sundownr      

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9321173

great wire wrap love the steampunk look .. I have done a little wirewraping
Cassandra78
Bryan, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9321210

Denimangle, I can just imagine how pretty your house will be when its done! And those countertops! Are you making them yourselves? I'm sorry if you've posted before about it but I'm new to this group and just happened across this thread :)

~Cass
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9321344

Sundownr,
Those came out really nice! Congrats.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9321505

Thanks for the nice comments y'all.

Denimangle, I've seen some of your artwork and couldn't come close to your talent girl, lol! Waiting to see those cement counter tops and backsplashes!!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9323948

Thanks Cass yes we are pouring them here you can see the house
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150343661887901.344218.578677900&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150114755547901.277861.578677900&type=3

Thanks Bev.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9324011

Very impressive! Y'all have done a LOT of work on the house...absolutely love those counter tops!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 4, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9324546

I never get tired of looking at those pictures .
Yng1
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 12, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9331014

Hi all,... so glad to have found this thread, just got my first tumbler yesterday for a b-day gift that I have been dying for,...and looks like I'll be one busy bee with all the tips here,
Creating sea glass windows and mosaics were but a few of the many glass projects that started the whole tumbling idea, along with the fact that I am an avid sea glass collector..., BUT I soon figured out that it would take me forever to collect enough natural sea glass for the projects I wanted to create, and I could more or less shape the pieces somewhat for my artwork. Looking forward to reading more posts and pics.

One question,... I did get the double rock tumbler from Harbor Freight, the instructions state not to use sand? But looks as if a lot here are using it,... I'm thinking beach sand would produce a more natural look, and the fact that I can get it for free is a big motivator as well, however I don't want to ruin my new machine! Any advice on this?... Thanks guys

Looks like Ill be doing a lot of reading on this whole site, my gosh its loaded with artsy fartsy...my kind of place! YAY...Great stuff!

Bren
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 14, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9332859

Yng1 , you will find a lot of artisians here, and welcome . Just post pictures . We like pictures .

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9335639

Hi- Just read this one thread today. Hope you don't mind me reading along and hoping that one day I will relocate a creative bone in my body. At least now I know I CAN bring home the blue beer bottles from the park and somebody will not think I am crazy!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9335709

LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 17, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9335742

SallyG , don't let any of them get away from you .
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9336031

LOL Sally G, let no blue bottle escape!
Frugalfam
Tucson, AZ

January 13, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9384150

Hello! I'm new here. So glad I found this awesome thread. I have been looking at pictures of sea glass all day on the internet and wondered if anyone made their own faux sea glass...and you do!! After reading through many of the posts on this thread I am excited to try this. I knew a few weeks ago that I was in trouble when the glass topped table in the backyard broke and I wanted to keep the glass, which I did for a few weeks. Hubby hauled it off last weekend and then this week-end I actually get this idea in my head of what I may have done with it!! It was tempered glass and broke into pretty crystal chunks...it seemed like it had potential for something spectacular but I just didn't know what. Oh well, there will be lots more broken glass as soon as I get a another rock tumbler. I already own a sledge hammer!
Frugalfam
Tucson, AZ

January 14, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9385108

Has anyone made a rock tumbler? I am thinking about making one because our last two didn't last long. They were the plastic barrel kind for kids. We bought them back in the late 1980's or early 90's. They lasted a fairly short time but it seems we paid about $50 for each of them at that time. Maybe they were just toys, I'm not sure. Our son was dissapointed in them and of course, that killed the joy of his rock tumbling interest . I don't want to be dissapointed with something that will break fast, plus we don't have a lot to spend. Just looking for inspiration or on the best choice. Maybe I found you all too late...is anybody still on this thread?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 15, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9385687

I bought a fairly expensive tumbler on ebay and it works well but cost a bunch. You can use a glass jar with water and a drop of dish soap and shake it a few times. It does not take much to get rid of the sharp edges and make the glass much safer to handle. I thought about trying to make on but gave up the idea. katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 15, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9385688

I bought a fairly expensive tumbler on ebay and it works well but cost a bunch. You can use a glass jar with water and a drop of dish soap and shake it a few times. It does not take much to get rid of the sharp edges and make the glass much safer to handle. I thought about trying to make on but gave up the idea. katie

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9385764

Frugalfam, I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to build a rock tumbler and I think you could easily make one with the right materials and the technical know-how. I have too many unfinished projects to tackle another, lol. Good luck and let us know if you come up with anything on building your own!
--
Bev
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 15, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9385876

An old ice cream freezer can be used or modified . A cement mixer is good for big projects .

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9386663

Yep, I saw those, too. I don't want to sacrifice my ice cream maker just yet and even a used cement mixer is a little pricey!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 16, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9386955

A large metal can would take the place of an ice cream maker . The tins that popcorn comes in would work . A belt and a way to turn it can be fashioned .

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9387242

You guys are just plain bad for me. I have been lurking for quite sometime now and I am finally going to take the plunge. I am fortunate enough to have everything iI need. Have 2 rock tumbling machines, have 200 pounds of stained glass scrap, have nippers, gas cutter, tile cutting machine and even have the cement mixer!!! Also have every size gravel and sand you can imagine.

Now the only problem is it is all at my old house 90 miles from here. So I will have to bring it up here in the next month or so and set it all up.

However I can play a little next week as I will bee there for 3 to 4 days. Will send pictures of my results.

Digger are you having fun with all that stuff you got from me????.

I am still trying to find the time to come visit you. Maybe in the late spring?? Ralph bought me a new, well semi new Taurus X. It is a midsized SUV! AND iI love it.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 16, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9387447

Cris , Would you believe , I haven't even unloaded it from the van . I brought it to Texas to play and have been jumping through hoops . We finished the screened porch today except for some trim and I just came in from Polying the screen door to put up . I'm having fun knowing I have it when I can get around to it . Have faith .I'll be home in Georgia April first or so , so come on any time . We'll go eat Chinese buffet , or something .Hugs .

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9387524

Will see you then. April is perfect for me.

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

January 27, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9399146

For some reason I can't open the websites I send, I think it has to do with my new anti virus, try his & see if it works. http://www.americanspecialtyglass.com/landscape/

Or Google American Specialty Glass company.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 2:21 PM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9400374

I am at the old house. Packed up my cement mixer in the back of the car. Going to load up some boxes of scrap stained glass and will be starting to play next week I hope. I will send pictures as I can.

Digger please let me know when the best time to visit you is. We will be going to Virginia in May. Would that work??

This message was edited Jan 29, 2013 4:11 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 28, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9400717

Don't see why not . Just give me a few days notice so I don't have something else planned with the kids .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9436049

lets see if this works tonight I havent been able to post for some reason .. here is the tub surround

Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle      

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
3:37 AM

Post #9436212

Beautiful!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 2, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9436873

How's the house coming , Denim ?We've screened a porch and tore off and replaced the roof over my kids porch . Lots of little stuff . Got part of his mobile home washed today . Finish tomorrow and caulk , get it ready to paint this weekend when he gets here. We painted ours two weeks ago .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9437009

thanks Mud elf
still comming Digger .. again we hope for a June move in .. it was 4 years in April getting the floors in & the cabinets in the kitchen. sounds like your as busy as we are
We are now working on year 5 (2/17/2014) Grr will this never end ...LOL

This message was edited Feb 27, 2014 10:19 AM

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9437031

Looking good!!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 3, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9437363

I can't make up my mind if it's a labor of love or just labor . lol
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9437476

thank you Bev
Oh I totaly know what you mean .. guess it depends on the day ...lol
MollyWhitebear
Washougal, WA

August 10, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9626831

Hi All...

I am new here. I found your original faux sea glass thread quite by accident on Google! I was searching for a way to raise the pH in saltwater! LOL!

The reason I wanted to raise the pH in saltwater was because I am experimenting with making sea glass for mosaics and jewelry. I have been tumbling (in a vibrating tumbler) cobalt blue glass tiles with sea water and beach sand for months. When I finally emptied out the whole thing on a screen out in the driveway, I found the pieces were beautifully rounded, but VERY smooth! Real sea glass is, many times, rough and pitted. I had been trying to get the rough pitted look to these pieces without success. In reading about the various types of sea glass finishes, I read that what makes the pitting happen is higher pH levels in certain areas of the ocean. It pulls out the soda and lime from the glass and that is what causes the pits to appear.

So...I decided to do a bit of research and found that reef tank keepers use Kalkwasser in their reef tanks to raise pH levels for their corals. I have just ordered some Kalkwasser and will post here my results once I figure it all out.

:-)

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 10, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9626833

Please keep us informed , Molly .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9627113

Molly you might try adding soda ash and see what happens

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9627420

Thanks for the info Molly. I'll be waiting to hear of your results!
nannynumnumms
fonthill
Canada

November 17, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9711021

Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum, and I just got into tumbling. I am onto step 4 (polishing) with a load of rocks. I have a load of mixed glass ready to go next, some from my stained glass days and some from a thick green textured wine glass that my husband conveniently (accidently) broke for me!
I have a question regarding tumbling gems. My mother gave me an opal that was given to her by her brother who initially tumbled it. He told her that it needed a little more polishing to bring the colors out. Can I put it in with my current load of (mostly) agate for the last few days or will I damage the opal?
Thanks all
nanny num-nums
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 18, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9711598

At your own risk . Opals are very soft .May do more than damage it , might eat it away if left very long .
nannynumnumms
fonthill
Canada

November 18, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9711997

Thank you Digger, I'll re-think that idea then. I'm wondering if I just put it in the tumbler on it's own for a day with the aluminum oxide, will it accomplish anything?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 20, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9713033

Beyond my expertise . Ask a jeweler if you can hand polish with jewelers polish .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9715983

im with digger ... scrap glass is as much as I tumble
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2014
8:16 AM

Post #9777920

Digger I found this looking for something else & thought about your wanting to cover your counter tops Heres how you can do it on the cheap too ...
http://www.hymnsandverses.com/2014/02/diy-concrete-countertops-over-existing.html
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 27, 2014
4:59 PM

Post #9778297

Can't find my little icon to put it in my favorites . Will read later . Thanks , bunches
MollyWhitebear
Washougal, WA

March 5, 2014
2:07 PM

Post #9782567

It's been about six months since I last posted here. I tried a NUMBER of things to raise the pH in the marine salt water to pit the glass.

I got some very good results from Kalkwasser I bought from a reef tank supplier. However, it's a little bit expensive and I would have to refresh it every 5-7 days or so. I let the pieces tumble or vibrate (depending on which tumbler I had them in as I have both sorts) for months. As winter set in here and my garage area became pretty cold, I took everything out of the tumblers and put them into bowls of saltwater mixed with pH Up, another reef tank additive. I have had them all soaking since late November now.

Just yesterday, I read a blog about making sea glass and achieving that special pitted appearance. They recommended using something called Etchall...an acid used to etch glass! You dilute it down a bit with water and soak the pieces of tumbled glass in it for a few minutes, checking it every so often. If you want a heavy etching or pitting, you use the Etchall full strength.

However, this IS an acid so you must make sure to protect your eyes and skin against any possible splashes!!

I just ordered the Etchall this morning off of eBay to try! Meanwhile, all my glass I had been tumbling and then soaking all this time is now all rinsed and dried off. I have now separated all the pieces into colour groups so my next phase will be to tumble them all in their colour groups.

At the holiday time I used some little corked vials to make some sea glass pendants. I filled the vials with tiny pieces of sea glass, some tiny seashells and a bit of sand. To make them sparkle, I added a few tiny multi coloured Swarovski crystals. I sealed the little corks onto the vials and then added silver plated eye screws and chains. Some others, I only added different colours of sea glass, tiny shells and a little charm on the bottle and left the sand out. Everyone I gave them to loved them! They were a holiday hit! I even ended up selling some on Facebook after I posted some pictures of my finished pieces!

As soon as my Etchall comes and I dip some of my previously tumbled glass into it, I will come back and let you know if it was successful adding the right amount of pitting and frosting!

Meanwhile, here are a few pictures of the little pendants I was just talking about...

Thumbnail by MollyWhitebear   Thumbnail by MollyWhitebear   Thumbnail by MollyWhitebear      

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 6, 2014
5:21 PM

Post #9783468

Those are Nice !
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2014
8:34 PM

Post #9783570

Very cute Molly,
I have at least 1000 of the little vials that i have been saving for years . would you tell whee you got the cork to fit them it what the size of the cork is
thanks
Cheryl
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2014
2:44 PM

Post #9786647

Hello everyone!

Looks like this thread is getting a bit long, so we're moving to a new one.
Hope you'll join us!

I've recently begun working part time instead of full time, so I sure hope to
be able to spend more time with all of you.

Come join us on the new thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1353042/

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2014
1:01 AM

Post #9919207

[quote="Sundownr"]Have any of you heard of "fried marbles" (using the clear floral ones)? They're not fried, but baked in the oven (500* for 20 min), then dropped into a bucket of ice water which makes them shatter inside. They can be used as "crystals" for necklaces, but I use them as miniature crystal balls or gazing balls for miniatures. A small percentage of the marbles will break into pieces, so I tumbled the broken chunks with my blue bottle shards and they're beauties too!

My apologizes if I missed a previous post about the marbles!
[/quote]

Those are beautiful. Hmm... I need to see, if I still have my old marble collection. Must go down into the scary cellar... ;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America