Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Will this year's cantalope seeds germinate now?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
Burgaw, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9213472

I checked the stems on all my ambosia melons on Monday, and none popped off, then worked the rest of the week. Today they're ALL ripe or over ripe, so I took them all. Quite a few went straight into the compost. Now what am I to do with 3 doz melons at once!? The fridge is full, so they're in coolers with a bit of ice and DH and I are eating 2 right now! If they're still OK on Tues, everyone at work is in for a treat!
Anyhow,...though they are still flowering, the vines look diseased (?, I'll post a pic later), so I want to start some more from the seeds I'm collecting now.
Will it work?
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9213490

I think so. Melons aren't native to cold regions so they don't need a cold period.
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9213510

If you ferment them like tomato seeds, you will get cleaner seeds and better germination. Ambrosia is a hybrid isn't it? Melons won't be exactly like the parents, but should still taste good.
To preserve your harvest, peel and cut the melon into cubes and store in a baggie. It will keep longer this way and takes up less room in the fridge.

Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9213737

Some years ago I was gifted with a pile of dead ripe cantaloupes. I made cantaloupe butter and it put apple butter to shame. Ambrosia, indeed! People that I gave jars to as gifts begged for more. Unfortunately, I didn't use an officially approved recipe since I was a newbie and didn't realize how important that was, but I would think there has to be an approved and tested recipe out there somewhere. A glut of melons is hardly unusual.

Frozen melon cubes get a little rubbery but are another way to store them. If you ever make smoothies they worked beautifully for that.

Don't even try dehydrating.

Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9213753

burgawjan - I freeze our excess melons. Just remove the rind, cut into lumps, and freeze in freezer bags. As Nicole said, they will have a "rubbery" texture when defrosted, but the sweetness will still be there.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America