Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tomatoes: Homers German Oxheart

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 14, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9213488

1 3/4 pounds.
Said to mature in 85 days, wit the high temperatures harvested 2 so far 66 days after transplanting

Thumbnail by paulgrow
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9213547

Wow, How does it taste? I like to try new varieties.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9213577

It has a sweet taste. I had 2 BLT's for dinner with several slices left over with salt and pepper.
It's definitely a keeper.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 21, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9213624

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Homer%27s_German_Oxheart
..above from Tania's page for it.

I see Neil Lockhart has been holding out on me b'c we exchange seeds every year and I LOVE hearts and haven't grown this one yet and it was Neil who even named it. All to say I know there are many other hearts I haven't grown as well although I've grown many of them.

I guess I'll have to ask Neil to send me the seeds and he's one of three folks doing seed production for me this year. Better them b'c my plants here are a disaster and I can't save seed myself b'c one needs two hands and those two hands have to stay on the walker handles. ( wink)

Note that Adam Gleckler is offering this variety at his site, Gleckler Seedmen.

Paul, what was your source, one of the several SSE members listing it or Neil himself from his SSE listing or Adam Gleckler or perhaps someone who got seeds from one of those sources? Right now I can't remember if you're an SSE member or not, although I should know. Sigh. I just checked my 2012 SSE YEarbook and if an SSE member I do know you aren't a listed member.

Now back to tennis from CA, working up to the Olympics watching and making sure I have enough dark bittersweet chocolate and nuts for the duration of the Olympics. I am BAD. LOL

Carolyn

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9213626

Carolyn
I got my seeds from Gleckers.

I'm saving some, be glad to send you some.

Tatiana states that this variety originated in Oblong, IL from the Amish. This is about 20 miles from where my 92 years old mother grew up.

Paul

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 6:06 PM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 6:10 PM
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9213823

"Said to mature in 85 days, with the high temperatures harvested 2 so far 66 days after transplanting"
-----------------------------

paulgrow - That's a good looking tomato, and BIG. Also, what you said made me realize that I've been kinda dumb about something, which happens often.

Some of the F3 generation of my crossed tomatoes suddenly went from 85+ day LATE tomatoes to 65 day EARLY tomatoes this year. I made posts about mutations and genetic combinations and got downright happy about that. Now I'm thinking that day after day, week after week, of record-breaking high temps in the high 90's and low 100's just MIGHT have something to do with that change. Ah, well.
kygreg2000
Hopkinsville, KY

July 21, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9213963

I got seeds from Neil Lockhart in 2009 and grew it for a couple of years. Excellently flavored large heart. Also have seeds.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 21, 2012
11:41 PM

Post #9214024

Paul, I'm a couple of posts behind b'c I'm having trouble posting here again.

Neil is from Oblong, IL and does interact with the Amiah Community there and helps them with transport back and forth to work when it's too far for them to bicycle, which is about 10 miles, and same if they have to use a buggy.

Perhaps your mother even knew the Lockhart family b'c they've been there for a long time as I remember Neil once saying.

Thanks for the seed offer but Neil and I exchange seeds each year and for 2013 I think I'll just ask him to add this one to the others.He's been doing seed production for me this year again, along with Shoe and Lee in NC and I got an e-mail from him last night and the drought conditions there are horrible. He bought several hundred feet of hose and has been trying to water his tomato plants but has to stop every now and then to let the well fill up and the corn and soybean crops are a disaster. At this point he thinks his tomatoes might not make it, which means seeds for some of my varieties as well/

Carolyn
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9218068

Wow! She's a beauty alright! I am very envious. My garden is going to he** quickly this year. Too much heat, then too much rain, then too much heat... I am very disillusioned.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9218102

I've come to a conclusion (unscientific) the excessively hot, dry weather causes fruits to mature much earlier than usual. However for the most part the fruits are smaller than they normally would be.

Paul
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9218125

"for the most part the fruits are smaller than they normally would be"
----------------------------------

Yes, and the skins are tough. We've had NO rain for weeks now in the Ozarks. I'm afraid the big oak and hickory trees on our place are going to start dying, as our pastures pretty much have. I water my garden with soaker hoses every day, but only the okra and peppers are doing well in this heat. We have 100 degrees again today, but TOMORROW is predicted to be 98 degrees with a 50% chance of thunderstorms, with 100 degrees and sunny again every day for a week afterward.

We're really HOPING one of those thunderstorms will come by tomorrow!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9218162

Oh, yeah - the tough skins are really afflicting mine, too. What a drag!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 25, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9218277

How lovely that some of you have actual what's called fruits such that you can say the skins are tough.

I wish. LOL

Carolyn
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9221886

The heat works wonders IF you already have fruit set. if the heat sticks around you may have to wait awhile to get more fruit set. Rain mixed with hot temps can be a whole other issue. The temps you have been experiencing are terrible.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9222327

More rain - and expected to continue through the week. THere is cracking on sooooo many of the tomatoes, and it is allowing rot to set in very quickly. I'm even getting cracking on the barely blushing fruit, which is causing the skins to get really rough. But you are right Caroly, at least I amgetting tasters, so I should refrain from complaining!

I will say I have one complete winner out there. Both plants of the Haley's Purple Comet are putting out nice nice, uniform fruits, with excellent color and flavor. It is definitely a keeper!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America