-
AuthorContent
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9213870

To all the tropical peeps; Please enjoy thought provoking pictures, gardens and other memorabilia from the world of heat and humidity.

We were in this universe earlier;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269701/

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 9:29 PM

Thumbnail by homer1958
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9214082

Drew, didn't you have some serious flooding in Charotte yesterday? I hope all your green babies are OK.

Elaine, glad to hear your DH is OK. I imagine the boats he sails are not small and a capsize can be pretty serious. Good to know all is well.

It is funny, because we are having rain all around us - within 1/2 mile generally - the humidity and the dew points have been off the scale, we just don't get the usual accompanying rain. We really need some here, the soil is powdery dry. However, the weeds continue to grow and grow, Chamberbitter is my nemesis. Has anyone ever used one of those blow torch weeders? I am wondering if by torching these evil weeds I might torch the seeds on them at the same time. Invariably when you are hand pulling them or using RU, some seeds will fall off. I would keep the hose in the other hand since burning anything in such dry conditions is not smart.

Clerodendron Ugandense - almost looks like it was photoshopped but that's the true image.
Poor little gold mac is still struggling but slowly it is making headway.
B. Irene Nuss is so heavy with the large clusters of flowers she just collapsed. This is my first year with her so I guess I need to figure out what she needs.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia
Click an image for an enlarged view.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9214137

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 9:42 AM

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 9:44 AM
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9214154

Alice, got caught with the P.giganteum and Monstera with the deluge, but it will probably be ok. The Giganteum is really wet though. Maybe some yellowing to come. Part of growing a jungle in pots in a temperate area LOL. That new guinea Gold is a beast to grow. I have killed three... NO MORE! That is a beautiful plant and it does look photoshopped. Great job. Begonia needed more sun for stronger stem? High phosphorous ferts?

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9214207

Love that blue clero, Alice. I had one at our other house, and haven't planted one here yet.

Irene is gorgeous, too. Maybe she needs to be in a hanging basket? Seems like some of the cane begonias will stand up, while others have a lax habit no matter what you do. Especially the ones with heavy blooms seem to do this.

Here's my Rainbow Costus bloom - peachy with some red stripes inside.
Purple Achimenes getting up to speed - finally!
Blue ginger start, taking off like a rocket and already in need of a new pot.
Funny little ground orchids, blooming their heads off, usually won't stand still for a photo.
Monster brug bloom looking like a party dress.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9214996

Elaine, Here you go. I almost forgot about it!

Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9215002

...And the new side shoots

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9215055

Hoo, and cool flowers, too! Glad I reminded you. It's such a beauty - how big are those leaves?

Now, more questions pop up as I look at that picture again. It's obviously a runner (or a walker?) - so when you go to take it indoors for the winter, will you cut it off and just take in the growing end with the last few leaves?

Leave the stalk that's along the ground out there to sink or swim? (so to speak) Maybe it will live through with lots of mulch? Or if you throw it on the compost pile? (evil grin)

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 11:02 PM
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9215232

I think I will leave the whole thing out there with shredded leaves burying it... or, bury everything but the last 2-3 nodes and place that in a pot to grow on next year for someone in Sarasota.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9215338

I may need to hire a bulldozer to clear space for yet another big plant. Am contemplating rousting out one of my huge white Birds of Paradise. They're really just way too huge for my garden now. Between them and the 5 or 6 tree philos along the east fence, . . . well, as I keep saying, it's a jungle out there.

Just took the cat to the vet for teeth cleaning . . . I've never left her at any vet before. More traumatic for me than for her I think.. Need garden therapy!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2012 12:54 PM
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9215584

Elaine, you can layer plants, one in front of another - may the best plant win!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9215614

Just got a few more good pics of the Rainbow Costus doing it's thing. finally got it in the right amount of light, so the leaves are starting to show more of the pretty variegation again, as well as the flowers are coming along.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9215625

Drew, my former neighbor in Columbia used to fabricate a wire cage around his bananas and fill it with leaves during the winter. His plants always fruited with this treatment, I imagine it would keep your other trops happy too.

Elaine, How is your poor kitty doing? Boolie, my fur baby, walks around with this deflated football in his mouth. Every now and then he will bury it under the variegated ginger (grrrrr), then he will dig it up and carry it around for a couple of hours. Weird.

ELaine, that costus is probably the prettiest ginger I have ever seen. Awesome!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2012 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9215674

Just got back from the vet with the cat. I think she is high on something, acting as if she doesn't know she's home. Anyway, I am sure glad to have that ordeal over with. Once a year for check-up and shots is enough!

I will have starts of that ginger to share come fall, I'd imagine. Barring droughts (doubtful) or hurricanes.

I know it doesn't look like much, but I'm pretty proud of this, a sprout of a Phaius (nun's orchid) from a stem cutting!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9215734

Elaine, congrats on propagating that nun's orchid - I have the purple one and have tried this technique many times - all failures.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9215812

I'll come clean and confess I had about 10 pieces of stem cutting, and only one worked.

Next year when they finish blooming, I'm going to do this with half the stems, and throw the other half in the compost. Anybody want to bet which ones make the most baby plants??
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9215842

Sure, I'll bite - the ones in the compost - they'll be easier to uproot, too! What color are yours?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9216054

Ivory petals, dark purple lip. Let's see if I can dredge up a picture. . .

Naturally, I can't remember if it was the first one or the second.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9216063

Yes, that's the ones I have. I had a yellow one, but gave it away. I would love to find the white one, too.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9216109

hello everyone! gorgeous pictures as always. homer that picture in post number 9214996 is gorgeous.
ardesia your dog is so cute.
elaine i know how you feel about making room. i have been clearing out nasty vines, mother in law tongue and massive clerodendren quadricularis from the power lines. my neighbors house is in forclosure and a lanscaper was out there cutting grass and i talked him into hacking them back from their side. now i have sunlight and better airflow. i wish i took a picture of before. of course i am just making room for more crap back there.lol.

the first two pictures are of they area i cleared. it might not look it but before you couldnt see into their yard.
3. is a mock orange full of flowers and with this humidity smells wonderful
4. praying hands bananas
5 royal poinciana.

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9216116

a few more pictures
1. milkyway tree
2. croton
3. cafe con leche
4. heliconia
5. star fruit hard to see because the are the same color as the leaves. i have a few babies if anyone is interested.

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9216157

Cassie!!! Nice to see you again - we missed you!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9216163

Cassie, you're getting RID of Clerodendrum quadriloculare and I've been trying to find it! LOL Just goes to show that one man's poison is another man's food!
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9216178

aw thanks, i am on here once in awhile but it is on an ipad and i can't post pictures with it. (not very savy). so i go outside every once in awhile to take pictures for myself to see how things have changed over the years. i love getting ideas on here from everyone, as well as sharing my pictures. your all welcome to come down and raid my garden anytime your in miami.

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9216220

how many do you want? they get huge and are really invasive here.
the first picture is when we had a cold snap a couple of years ago and half the leaves froze then fell off.

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9216266

Beautiful pictures Cassie and I love some of the names - Milky Way tree, Cafe con Leche, how very nteresting.
I am not very technical either, Elaine had to give me a tutorial on how to download photos from my phone.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9216497

Cassie - I love your plants, such nice pictures! I agree with Ardesia - the cafe con leche is striking. I just planted a Clerodendrum quadriloculare, it has grown very fast!! I see a trim in it's near future. . .

Dyzzy - is that a spiral ginger in your picture above? Do you have it in shade or part sun?
prita
Red Oak, TX

July 24, 2012
3:06 AM

Post #9216569

Hello Everyone!!
Drew, those are some very impressive plant pictures. It doesn't get any better than that, great growing!!! Thanks for the new thread

dyzzy, It seems as if there is not a plant that will not thrive in your garden. I am so happy to see the bloom on the rainbow ginger and am totally enjoying your gardening adventures.

You guys are having a wonderful summer but like ardesia, I am waiting for a little rain. I watched the rain clouds pass us by almost every day this week.

This is a Philo.Warscewiczii and a Warscewiczii Flavum, it seems as if someone has already raided my garden and cut the tip off. lol
Amorphophallus atroviridis no bloom this year.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 5:10 PM

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 24, 2012

Post #9216570

Jeri11,I remember my dh commenting about the dynamite crape myrtle saying we should get a few more, it was a stunning red and a good accent tree. Thanks for trading with me. I would like piece of your red ginger and hope that I have something you would like in trade. Those were some nice pictures you posted, the Cajun princess is so pretty and the Spinach tree is also a new plant for me.

Joeswife, I am so very sorry to hear about your sister. It seems as if you picked the right time for your Florida vacation, wishing you all the very best.

mjsponies, love your Hoyas, these two from Lowe's markdown has been in bloom since spring, while the ones fron E-bay are just sitting there.

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 24, 2012

Post #9216571

candela, lovely garden shots, that heliconia is a star. I was very surprised to see buds on my Caricature (cafe con leche) plant. phughes showed me a picture of her plant blooming and I thought mine never would, they are pretty.
The second picture is one from you.
Love these plants for their foliage. I got my Pic.# mixed up and posted the
wrong ones.
Guava
habenero peppers

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 24, 2012

Post #9216572

floridabunnie, that was a nice Rangoon Creeper you posted, remember to prune, this vine blooms on new growth.

plumeria

Thumbnail by prita

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9216583

Beautiful Rita - as usual. How do you manage to keep things so lush looking in spite of the lack of water? Everything here looks wilty although I am running the irrigation system every night and hand watering as needed during the day.

This is an old picture from the files of E. 'Just Beautiful', I no longer have this plant it was another victim of cold weather. I just followed Elaines instructions and planted the noid epi I presently have on a tree. We'll see what happens to that one.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 7:06 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9216594

Gorgeous plants, everyone. I must order one of those variegated Plumeria - just beautiful foliage!
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 24, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9216661

Rita that second picture is a sancheza the flower is really pretty as well.
Ardesia I have a few cuttings of epi s but not a flower yet, I can't wait especially if that is what they Look like.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9216669

I've had some of those succulents for years - they are huge, but nary a bloom!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9216770

KayJones, I got a nice variegated plumeria at Tropiflora last year. They still have some with great foliage and red flowers. Probably safe to ship an unrooted cutting even at this time of year.

https://tropiflora.safenetserver.com/shop.cfm?page=display&ProductID=50042&CategoryID=55&letter=p&iPageNbr=1&src=alpha
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9216778

Thanks - I will take a look!

Edited to add: there is no way I can justify paying $15 to have a 10" Plumeria cutting mailed to me - I will just enjoy your pictures, Elaine.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 10:21 AM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9216802

I also got some from ChefMike's coop but they look to be green & yellow instead of green & white. I believe he still has some for sale.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 9:08 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9216924

Kay, Become a VIPP member, just look at the bottom of this page and click on it. http://www.tropiflora.com/ $15 sounds unusually high to me.

If you are a VIPP they take a percentage off the shipping costs. I have bought things that were significantly larger than a plummie cutting and never paid anything like that for postage. Actually, I think their shipping is among the most reasonable out there. You could always join the program (it is free) then call and ask about the actual costs.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9216970

Thanks for that information, Alice. I will just keep looking at the ones you all have - so pretty!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9217355

My infamous Dr. Moy hedychium sport with the super-variegated leaves has opened its flower. Same as its siblings, but still . . .

Sorry the first shot is a bit blurred, the camera lens fogs up when I first take it outside, SO humid!!

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 8:20 PM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9217360

Here are a few shots of the east side pathway this year. It is so much more interesting since all of you encouraged me with the interesting foliage plants! Coleus, caladium, alocasia, begonias, philos with orange leaves! Couple of heliconias faithfully pop up in this border each year from what must have been an extensive planting before we moved in. Guess I should pot up one of those plants and make a big clump, they sure add a nice touch of color in there. There are orchids hiding in the mix, too.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 24, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9217472

Prita - thanks for the tip on my Rangoon Creeper. This is a new one for me this year, after my furkid dug up my passion vine. . . Your morning glory looks like it runs on batteries! The color is so vibrant. I had looked at this one a couple of times and now it looks like I'll have to add it to my list. Everyone's amazing pictures keep me adding more and more to my wish list. My husband would die for your habeneros! I tried to plant some outside this year, but it has just been too wet for them to do very well. We had a bumper crop one year but it was hot and dry.

Dyzzy - I have been to Tropiflora a few times myself, especially during their plant sales - they have such unique things. Your garden path looks so nice, especially the volunteer heliconias. I planted a tuber of one a few years ago and it never did anything. This year all of the sudden it appeared. I moved it to a better spot and am very anxious for it to bloom.

My plumbago is going crazy this year. I think the more I trim it the more it blooms.
My recent purchase from Top Tropicals - Crepe Jasmine (I have a thing for jasmine)
Clerodendrum paniculatum - pagoda flower

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9217821

As per norm, all your flowers are beautiful! I'm wondering where Deb is!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9217831

Hope all is well with Deb's sister, it is a worry.

Elaine, how much sun do the heliconias get? I have a hardy one (according to Tony Avant) but it has never bloomed for me. I think it is in too much shade.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9217838

goodmorning all, sister has had her lung inflated and fluids drawn off and sent to labs, pet scan today to lok at hot spots. All i know for now.

been watering for hours every day. these dry triple digits are killing me!
Please keep the beautiful flower pictures going. Rita, your rebecca is beautiful. Mine all all over the north west corner fence.
Hope my pagoda flower looks like that some day.

will post pics later of the varigated bougie ( thanks KayJones) I havn't killed it yet it is in full bloom.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9217842

Oh, Debra - we MISS YOU! When your C. pagoda gets big enough, please root me a cutting. I love you, Lady Bug!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9217867

Ooh, hang in there Debra! We're with you in spirit at least.

Bunnie, you're right about the plumbago, they do love to be pruned, and bloom more, the more you cut at them. That Clero pagoda flower is really gorgeous.

Alice, those heliconias are in shifting shade under my huge oak tree all day. I think they would bloom better out in more light, but they seem to come along in the shade every year. We have had the oak tree thinned a couple of times because it's near the house, so there are peeks of sun all along there. I'm recalling that they bloom in some shade over at Selby, too. They do love lots of water, though. The well water I was irrigating with all this spring is very alkaline, and they've been looking a bit chlorotic, but with all this rain that is correcting.

Another huge panicle of flowers on B. odorata alba. It smells so great in the mornings!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9218778

Believe it or not, I only purchased one pagoda flower a couple of years ago - I think I have about 10 in the bed and around the corner now. It must have found a spot it liked and invited it's friends - LOL. It is such an easy care plant that I don't mind though, and it hasn't gotten out of control.

Kay, I have several little volunteer pagodas, if you would like one send me a d-mail with your address and I will send you one.

Dyzzy - as always, I'm oohing and ahhing your plants!
prita
Red Oak, TX

July 26, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9219095

Good Morning All!!

dyzzy,Thanks for sharing your own little tropical escape. It seems to be well planned with those nice big Philos and Fern tree. The occasional color of begonias and Heliconia makes it perfect.

floridabunnie, Outstanding shot of your Pagoda flowers, mine had a bad bout with scale and is just now recovering. Good luck with your Crepe Jasamine, they are a favorite of mine as well. I am having a good harvest of hot peppers this year. I love growing then but can not eat them.

ardesia, thanks, I water in the mornings and evenings, dreading the water bill.

Joeswife, Hoping that your sister's test results are all good.

pictures from a few days ago.
Ruellia fron Mj
Basket plant
Plumeria Sweet syrup
Philo. Giganteum

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 26, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9219105

candela, I hope the Sancheza blooms this year, thanks for the id!

Thumbnail by prita

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9219172

Drew I found some AeAe for sale at J. D. Anderson and I thought you might be interested. They have the AeAe for $100.00 and a green AeAe for $25.00 I wonder what the difference is?

http://www.jdandersen.com/files/jdandersenbananas.htm

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9219333

Pretty proud to show off this cute little pineapple I grew from the top of a grocery store fruit. It was just the right size for the two of us to have for dessert last night, and oh, so sweet and yummy! Only took me 3 years to grow it, too .. . . cold winters set it back a year, I think.

Usually the raccoons get to them before I can pick them, but I must have scared them off pretty well for now! I'll plant the top of this baby, to make another new plant and hold out hopes for another pineapple in 2 years or so. I have one more plant coming along for next year's "crop" and the mama plant will very likely make pups, too. I'll have a nice little pineapple patch in a few more years.

Jeri, the Green AeAe for $25 wouldn't have any variegation I'm thinking. There might be an outside chance for it to make a variegated pup down the road, but it would be hit or miss.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9219673

Good going there on the pineapple. I bought one that already had the fruit on it last year and it ripened and was delicious. I also replanted the top but nothing so far. I have to bring mine in for the winter.

Thanks Elaine!!! I kinda thought that was it, but didn't realise there was a possiblity of it reverting.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9219853

Prita - I really like your basket plant. Has yours bloomed yet? I saw the blooms in plant files and they are very interesting. Good luck with your pagoda, I hope it gets better for you. Jasmine is a favorite of mine and I get a little crazy with them. I have a large round flowerbed in the backyard full of jasmine and white bird of paradise.

Dzyyz - nice pineapple! Fresh Florida Pineapple is the best. When we moved into our house the landscaping had a lot to be desired. The previous owner had planted pineapple tops in numerous locations around the yard. We used to joke about finding a pineapple when we least expected it.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9219856

Good evening, folks!

I am bumming tonite - I went into the greenhouse and found that one of my Epi's had bloomed last night and I MISSED IT! Dam it!!!!!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9219879

Kay - that is a bummer. I have one in the back and am assuming that I will probably miss it too - just my luck :)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9219943

I hope I get to see an Epi bloom some day. I tried a pineapple.. it rotted. I love pineapple. Only 98 today whoppee. Rained all around us last night, totally missed my town. I had to bring in Milk n Honey.. now she can fiish budding out downstairs. I also had to bring in the patchouli plant. The yellow shrimp plat went south in this heat this year. Oh well, it lasted two years. That is good, right?

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9219952

Right there with you, Kay. I had a bud for the first time on my Pitaya, dragon fruit cactus. Similar huge fragrant flowers that bloom for one night only. I faithfully went out with a flashlight for a week, it grew and grew then it went all brown and mushy before it was able to open. This was thanks, I'm thinking, to all the rainy weather. Ah well, they will bloom again for both of us.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9221065

well, i went out to check all mine.. no buds or blooms or anything that I could see.
Sad my I plantesis caudex morning glory seemed to lose it's umpf and started going soft, so I soaked it in soapy water, let it dry , kept it cool for a few days, and replanted it after I broke a part off. Planted them both. here is hoping.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9221161

I await the beauty of this every summer:
Edited to add names:

1. Buddah hand citron
2. Noid Hydrangea
3. Plumeria 'Devine'
4. Cactus bloom - forgot the botanical name

This message was edited Jul 28, 2012 6:27 AM

Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9221164

Rita, your plants are not only beautiful but you have arranged the incredible variety so nicely. Wish I could hire you to come and do my mish mash landscape.

Deb, I loved that you photographed the reverse of the hibiscus. They are one plant that I think looks just as pretty from behind.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9221201

Elaine, the bloom on my Curley orchid cactus blasted too...after we got a ton of rain, which we could use more of now..
Kay my Plummies bloom very rarely, I don't think I fertilize them enough.
Deb my I plantesis is "somewhere" out there, I need to go locate it.

Nong Nooch Vine gearing up, King Anthurium, Mermaids Tail Fern, Hoya

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9221305

KayJones that buddahs hands is awsome. Love your hydrangeas.. all the ones around here are not blooming.
I love your hibiscus, Alice. I agree, Rita should come and display my plants too. What is the last hibiscus you posted?

okay Martha, now I have to see what the Mermaids fern is all about. dang it. LOL
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9221317

Martha, have you any Nong Nooch rooted vines to trade?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9221409

Kay I don't have any rooted... I haven't even tried that one yet. I'll take a cutting as see if I can get it to root for you.
mj
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9221411

Martha, try rooting it in damp, straight peat moss - I found my rooting successes increased dramatically when I started doing my rooting this way.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9221576

Deb, that is a noid double rose of sharon. Are the doubles hardy in Kansas?

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9221686

Alice, they should be - I grew them in Missouri, about 3 hours east of Deb.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9221947

Oh Alice that's really pretty. I don't have much luck with Rose of Sharon here. Have one down at the bottom of the yard and it bloomed this spring the best it's done in the 3 yrs it's been there...and nadda since.

String of Hearts...should call her Rapunzel and Ant Plant to the Right.
Rasta Lipstick plant
Crocodile Fern - it outgrew it's Colander Planter I had it in last year...not sure what I'll put it in next...LOL...

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9222115

Good morning, everyone - lovely plants!

Speaking of ant plants, does anyone have a cutting of the one that has the little 'purses' on it and little red blooms? I had one a couple of years ago, but it died for some reason - would love to find another one.
prita
Red Oak, TX

July 29, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9222554

Hello Everyone!!!!
I hope you all are having a pleasant Sunday. Mine isn't, as I got stung and chased by wasps this morning to my dh's amusiment.

dyzzy, good growing on the pineapple!! 3yrs. is a long time to wait, glad it was sweet and not sooo sour like the few I have grown. Do you know what variety you are growing?

floridabunnie, the basket plant has bloomed, and is a very easy plant to grow. Let me know if you would like to have a plant.

Kay Jones, Good to see what made you happy!! I bet you had everyone checking their Epi's for blooms, I did. The Citron has caught my attention. I have a tangarine plant which has fruit that are splitting open. Perhaps overwatered?

tangarine tree
Senna alata
Philo.
Caladium Florida beauty
Crinum lily

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 29, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9222557

ardesia, Love that Rose-of Sharon as well, thanks for the comments. I would like to say how much I appreciate everyone on this thread. My mom always refers to me as a willy nilly gardener.

Joeswife, I am learning new gardening tips and remedies from you. Jerry Baker would be proud. dh wanted to know what the windex was doing in my hh. Sorry about your shrimp plants, I will check the markdown tables for them. I am still enjoying the Crossandra plant.

Mjsponies. those plants are Awesome!! The string of hearts needs to be in my Hoop House where there is enough room for it to stretch out in comfort. lol

A few old reliables
Rattlebox
Erythrina bidwillii
Cestrum
Crossandra

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9222561

Rita, those are stunning!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9222737

I agree!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9222964

Hi All - everyone's plants look so great! I love looking at everyones pictures.

Prita - I would love to have a basket plant if you have one to part with. I will send you a d-mail.

Do you see the rattlebox moth often. I googled and saw the moth that feeds on this plant. The moth is so bright and colorful.

MJS - your crocodile fern is very interesting, such a unique pattern to the leaves.

I had a visitor on my pipevine today and was actually able to get a picture.
One of my hibiscus blooms
White Bird of Paradise
Purslane

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9222984

Rita, I just did an extensive search for the red Crossandra and couldn't find it for sale - where did you buy yours?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9223479

Nice butterfly pic, floridabunnie! I have zebra longwings in my yard every day, but they never seem to land, and I can't get a picture of them in motion. They're too fast. My husband caught me chasing after one with the camera the other day, now he really thinks I'm nuts.

Love all those red flowers, Rita. All I have that's looking good right now are my red pentas. The pic doesn't do the color justice, they are the rich dark red of the ones in the top right corner. They're getting big and sassy, though. They're interplanted with Easy Does It roses, which are struggling valiantly in the heat and humidity, but do have a few vary-colored blooms. No fungus problems as yet, surprisingly!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9223809

beautiful.. all of them.. i don't have pentas anymore.
miss them, but maybe nextyear..

sister is in the hospital, the fluid on her lungs caused by the cancer was making it hard to breathe for her. they have called in a specialsit and he is going to go in two tiny holes to drain the fluid and clse the pleural lining, which will cause the fluid to asorb in her body. then the port gets put in and her chemo starts next week. She is in good spirits and thinks the chemo will give her more life. It has spread thru a single cell to her bones, her lymph nodes, her stomach , lungs and pelvic hip bone joint. She plans on coming home as soon as she gets her chemo started for a few days. I will go to get her.
That is what I have been doing .. phone calls while watering. got up to 110 here yesterday, I kept water going in all shade areas all day. today you can't even tell I watered.
bringing in the rest of plants in pots. I have buds on the brugs already that have been in for a few days, go figure.
love you all, keep Sherry in your thoughts in a positive manner for me.
here are some vine leaves..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9223866

Debra, we will continue to pray for Sherry, you and all the family - GOD BLESS you!

Did you get my card?

This question is for ANYONE:

I have huge morning glory vines but not a SINGLE bloom - any idea why?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9223977

Debra, you and your sister are in my thoughts and prayers, what a lot you have on your plate right now. All that and 110 too? Wow, you are an amazing woman. Take care of your family and stay indoors, if you lose any plants all your friends here will gladly replace them.

Kay, that is the constant question we are getting at our plant clinics this summer, everyone has plants that simply do not want to bloom and they are the sort of plants that you would think would bloom their heads off no matter what like MG's. All we can tell them is this is a strange year for everything.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9223991

Alice, they bloomed like gangbusters last year. They're in the same spot - has to be the weather. By this time last year, I had 20 blooms at a time - only 2 this whole season.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9224087

Just guessing, KayJones, but maybe cut off the water for a day or two, let it dry out and see if it sets buds? Think maybe you've been getting more rain than we have down here. A few dry, sunny days should help, too.

My Thunbergia went through a growth phase like that, making lots of big leaves but no flowers, after we had so much rain in June. Now it's started really blooming again.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9224092

Elaine, is the plant you're talking about the plant you have pictured in your last post? That looks like a Penta to me.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9224107

Oops, here's the Thunbergia. I like their funny little profiles.

Deb, take comfort from your flowers, girl dear. We'll send you digital bouquets.

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9224189

Debra - sending happy thoughts to you and your sister! Your green vines look great, despite the heat.

Everyone's Pentas look so good. My neighbor has them and I swear they look electric - LOL.

Dyzzy - I'm sure if my husband would have seen me yesterday running around the yard with my phone in the air trying to get this butterfly picture he would have thought I had lost my mind! The neighbors were probably wondering what was going on :) Your thunbergia look so blue!

It has been very hot and humid here. I worked out in the yard all day yesterday, but had to come in a couple of times to cool off. It rained mid morning and I think that made it even warmer! I don't typically sweat (although women don't sweat, they mist - lol) very much but came in with my hair wet.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9224204

I love the blue sky vine and T. battiscombei - their blues are so vivid. The Pentas are wonderful, too - butterflies love them.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9224297

Morning glorys are funny... trim the tops and any side shoots, feed them a lot of food, let them get really dry before you soak them. they will bloom, but usually not until end of july or august. especially if these are prennials. the species vines have to go thru their growing period before they bloom.

I have a vine that crawled all over the patio last summer and is nowin thre separate spots vining all over huge leaves, but no blooms. I have started trimming all the off shoots to force them into bloom. Japanese morning glorys are different. I have several plants in small ots waiting to send out this fall to any takers. I setosa, brazilian morning glory, i wrighti, alata, you name it. Moon vines take the longest to bloom. Hope this helps..

Thank you all for letting me vent. I got your card, KayJones and I loved it it spruced up my lunch. My cleros are blooming here and there, moved the pitcher plants and a few of the other tropicals to the north corner of the front porch. queen emma crinum is brown but upright and solid, hate to move her now.

Shrimp plant from you, KayJones is blooming away.
here are pictures from august last year

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9224306

PS: my naked ladies are up early, my tuber rose is about to bloom, my american beauty berry is flowered, the porcelain vine is loaded with purple berries..
as long as I am able to water, they can endure the 111 we had today. August is usually a 30 day full of over 100 temps. We are a little early just like last year. the mites are on the tomatoes and the moon flowers and I have been fighting those. gone thru a while half gallon of windex.. LOL
Sister said she can water while I am at work wen she is here.. isn't she just the bestest? Of course there is no way I would let her do that ..

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9224508

Good morning, everyone!

Deb, in the last set of pics, what is the third one and fourth one? I love the shapes of the blooms!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9224547

Good Morning,
KayJones, that is my lobelia cardinalis finally coming up to bloom.. one is ruby slippers, a hybrid, the other is the native that grows near ponds and waters edges here in kansas
Great Blue has fialed to show up so far..but he will.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9224609

Thanks for the information. I have a L. cardinalis, one in the ground that didn't come back this spring, and one in a pot. The one in the pot has not shown any signs of blooming.
prita
Red Oak, TX

July 31, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9224996

Hello Everyone, I would like to return the compliment by saying that the pictures posted are splendid !!

KayJones, the Crossandra came from Joeswife a few years back. I have been collecting seeds. If you would like to give them a try, I will send some.

Joeswife, I am praying for you both, may all your prayers be answered. Like dyzzy said previously, take comfort from your flowers.

Floridabunnie, I mailed your package yesterday. I hope you like it. Don't worry too much about what the neighbors will think of you. After a while, they will just shake their heads and go on, ask me how I know. lol

dyzzy, I am glad you mentioned that "Easy does it" roses can take the heat. I need replacements for a few Knock-out bushes that got too big and had to be removed.

Bloom on a Caricature Plant.
Foliage Caricature plant
Philo. Zanadu
Philo Zanadu gold
Canna

oops #2 is Philo. Giganteum

This message was edited Jul 31, 2012 1:41 PM

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 31, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9224999

I am giving you'all a little break from me for about two weeks. Keep those pictures coming!

This is Crinum Amabile. I waited 6 years to see this bloom, it was worth the wait.

Thumbnail by prita

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9225174

Rita, you don't have our permission to leave for 2 weeks - just where do you think your going, Little Missy?!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9225472

C'mon kids, let's put together our finest digital bouquets for Debra and Sherry!

My funny little Abutilons bloomed in April and have been pouting since then. Now they're busting out with buds again. I have pale yellow, pink and red.

Wish you could smell the perfume of this Dr. Moy ginger.

And one for Drew, my Blue Hawaii colocasia has two flower buds, and they're yellow!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9225509

Have a good time Rita, I sure hope I don't have to wait another three years to see Queen emma Bloom. I want to move her since her leaves are turning a funny bronze color, but since they are firm and upright, I guess I'll leave her be..

Sure have had fun watering tonight, found a tree frog the size of a dime, and the anole was playing tag with me. I have moved a few more things inside and moved a few more things into the shady corners for now.. triple digits from now till fall it seems, and no rain. We are now under drought conditions. I had a few beautiful morning glory blooms this am, but there were buds all over the place that got melted before they could open, poor things.

Sister did NOT have her surgery today, and she sounds so bad cuz she can't breathe, but she said she wants to live much much longer so she is willing to wait another day for this surgery to help her breathe better, and then she is anxious to get the chemo started again. What ever she wants is okay in my books, she is still saying for me not to go get her yet. Hope she doesn't get hooked on that stupid morphine! Sheese!

Anyway.. I am collecting seeds now as I cut down the drying prennials. Have no clue why, no one wants them LOL

I on the other hand, consider any seed a strong commodity.
Did you know some of these popped up out of no where? I wonder if they wintered over or threw seeds.

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9225516

Prita - Thank you so much for the plant! I think the neighbors already think I'm a little touched in the head. The garbage men always just throw our bins down, and they had already picked up the yard waste and threw one of our yard bins down on it's side in the driveway near the edge. I backed out of the garage and didn't see it - and ran over it with my brand new vehicle. It was already a bad morning even before I walked out the door and this made it worse. Needless to say as I was chucking them in the yard and talking to myself, the neighbor across the street walked out of his front door and was standing in the driveway staring at me like I had two heads. I was so embarrased!

Dyzzy - I haven't heard of those roses, but will have to look for them. I had to rip out two of my knockouts as well because they were gangly looking. The other two seem to be ok. I did just purchase a cracker rose that is more like a groundcover and so far it is doing well.

Debra - what are naked ladies? Are these a type of sunflower or coreopsis? I love the color. I really like your lady slippers too.

Kay - I googled the L. cardinalis, the colors are so bright. These remind me of tropical salvia. Do the butterflies like these too?

Barleria Amethyst - have not been able to find too much info on this one
Jamaican Croton

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9225541

naked ladies are an amrayllis that is a prennial here, floridabunnie, they throw big leaves first, they die down, and when you least expect it, surprise! a naked ladie is what my granma called them. I love your jamaican croton. reminds me of a varigated four o clock.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9225668

Good morning, everyone. Jean, i am trying to find the RED Baleria repens - pictures prove it's a real beauty.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9225688

Somebody say, "Naked Ladies"?... Where?... I want to see them!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9225695

Drew, they're all over the internet - try 'nakedladies.com' and see if that satisfies your hunger for knowledge!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9225897

Naughty, Kay, very naughty. I have a Barleria that has sort of coral flowers. It's a spreading lax habit, groundcover sort of plant and seeds itself anywhere there's irrigation but not terribly invasive. Needs full sun in the mornings to bloom well, and the flowers only stay open until mid-day. I sure can send you some starts if you'd like?

I think that term "naked ladies" is very loosely applied to any flowering plant that makes leaves early, then dies back and sends up flowers without any leaves later in the season. Lycoris do it here. In my garden in Salt Lake I had Autumn Crocus - Colchicum - that were also known as "naked ladies" because that's what they did. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/98056/

This message was edited Aug 1, 2012 11:35 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9226004

Just thought a little humor (albeit juvenile) was due! LOL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9226051

It does restore the balance, for sure.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9226095

Elaine, I think we have a trade pending for this fall. You always send me the nicest plants, so if you want to toss a start in, that would be wonderful! I'm still waiting for you to tell me when to send your Clerodendron ugandense.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9226140

Sure, I'll make a note to throw in a few of those. I think we really should wait until September to send any plants back and forth, because of the heat, don't you? It's been really cookin' here the last 10 days or so. The little starts of Clero 'Shooting Star' I potted for you are doing great. I'm feeding them sparingly so they don't get too darned big to send to you.

I do have seeds of the dwarf poinciana for both you and Debra that won't be harmed by the heat. They're almost finished exploding - the pods twist and pop when they dry out, and the seeds fly all over! I figured that might not be a great thing to send through the mail, they might think we're terrorists! So I've got them in a box with netting over the top so I don't have to hunt for the seeds all over the place.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9226164

Elaine, I am THE WORST at growing from seed - that's a kind offer, but I will let you send them to someone who can grow from seed.

I will hold on to your plants until Sept.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9226461

Drew...we know ( and love you)...LOL...
Elaine, If you have an extra I'd like a cutting or two of the Barleria, I'm sure I can come up with something for you.
Here's Anthurium radicans x splendium...Lovey inflorescence. Philo. gloriosum in the background. Elaine this is the one you picked up for me...I LOVE it.
Hoya finlaysonii rippled leaf

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9226472

Martha, that is just gorgeous!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9226577

Martha that hoya is something special. Love both the bloom and the leaf!!!!

RachelLF

RachelLF

August 1, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9226621

It has been a while since I have checked in here but first I have to say, lovely plants and great growing everyone. Debra, bless your sisters heart and I am so sorry she is still having to deal with all that she is going through and I sure hope she gets better very soon. Prayers to you and all.

Rita, it sure is nice to see you posting photos again and I hope all is still going well with you and your plans. I have a couple of plants for you and I'll send them when the time is right.

Martha, I like that Anthurium (of course) but it sure looks alot like radicans x dressleri. If you do not mind me asking, where did you get it?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9226634

Those are some pretty fabulous leaves, Mj, and a killer hoya flower, too. I'm loving my P. gloriosums, too. Be glad to send you a start of the coral Barleria.

The Monardas you sent me last summer are a huge lovely clump of nice scented foliage, but still no flowers. Are they late bloomers? Any advice??

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9226669

Monardas need cold temps during winter to bloom, did it get cold there Elaine?

I have never heard of Barleria.
Still waiting for one of the three hoyas I have to bloom.
*sigh*
getting ready to come inside the big pot, will be broken down and everything in it re-potted and put down in the now getting full jungle downstair..
p giganteum is pretty happy there, might leave him be..
been breaking down the plants in this area to bring in the stand, desert rose has finished her flush, will have to get a smalll stand to keep her outside the rest of the summer..
the more I cut on this jasmine, the more it blooms.. I have three rooted starts yippee!
Last pic is of the area behind where I sit at night..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9226670

just wetting your appetites for special morning glorys here

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9226794

Good morning to all my Friends! Deb, those mg's are lovely - lucky you!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9226838

GM, my good friends.. where is my cheese? and.. the mousetrap? gee, it ran away with everything! LOL my morning jolt is checking those traps.
Sister called me and sounds so much better.. Se called at 6:30 so you know she feels better already .. Anyway.. windy and cool this am. I like it even tho I keep waiting for one of the neighbors trees to snap from lack of watering.looking at everything in a positive manner... if a tree breaks, more branches grow right?

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9226844

Deb, that is ONE way to look at it!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9226948

Ah ha! That must be the problem, we did have a warm winter so the Monardas probably didn't get enough of a chill. I have them on the north side of the house where they are shaded all day in the winter, so it's about the coldest spot in the garden. Still, I only had to cover stuff a couple of nights all winter against cold temps. Next winter I will put ice cubes on them . . . that's probably why some of my daylilies didn't bloom, too.

These small red ones are faithful bloomers, and even re-bloom a few times during the summer.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 2, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9227642

Hi All!

I just purchased the coral barleria this year and it bloomed a few days after being in the ground! I do have an established pink barleria and will be cutting it back if anyone wants a start.

Dyzzy - my daylilies did not bloom this year either :( Must be the same as you - too hot.

Debra - your morning glories are awesome! I especially love the multicolored. The nursery where I purchased the Jamaican Croton had a four o'clock that had kind of a caudex at the base and then it was pruned almost like a bonsai! Of course, I thought, "oh I'll get that next time". Well, wouldn't you know it when I went back it was gone - ugh!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9227647

Carol, I'd like some cuttings if they root easily. Anyone but me can grow from seeds and cuttings - I give them too much tender, loving care and they rot! LOL
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 2, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9227658

Kay, when I cut them back they usually have roots. They sprawl out a little and attach roots as they grow. I will make sure to send you some starts with roots attached :) I'll send them with the pagoda!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9227876

Bonnie, you are so sweet - thanks!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9229286

I need someone that can give a good home to a 4' diameter Philodendron giganteum on my dime. Any one interested?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 4, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9229372

me...I'll take him. I can pay the postage.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9229382

ok Paula!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9230968

Drew, glad you found a home for your P. giganteum before you needed to find a moving van to deliver him!

I have the second flower on my C. Blue Hawaii, should I cut off the other spent flower?
My Gloriosa lilies are still going, I can't believe it! Last summer they were taking a vacation about now. Must be all the rain . .
Another cool variegation on my Tropicanna
Funny little white flowers open on the big floppy flower bracts of Brazilian Red Cloak

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9231173

Elaine, my B.C. just keeps growing, but she hasn't bloomed - I sure hope she will this season.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9233309

Not doing any thing special for that Red Cloak, Kay. It's in the ground, in mostly shade and getting lots of water. I fertilized with Osmocote at the end of May. That's it!

Here's another pretty bouquet shot for Deb and Sherry. Abutilon and purple Achimenes. (haven't seen any blue or white Achimenes yet . .)

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9233312

Lovely! I used to have white, blue and also pink Achimenes, but they somehow disappeared. I now only have purple king and red.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 7, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9233389

Kay...would you mind sharing the red achimenes??

Well here is my mess...All I have had time to do this summer is group my flowers under the trees. I don't even want to count them...LOL

This might take awhile...I have got to get rid of some of them...so if you see anything you want...LOL I can try my best to get you a cutting or possibly send the whole plant. Just don;t know when it would be...LOL

1 - Overall shot
the rest are taken around in a circle

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 7, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9233597

and the rest

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9233600

Holy cow, Paula - your yard looks like mine! Where are we going to put all these plants?!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 7, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9233602

and now some 'pretties' close up

1 - angel trumpet
2 - front planter - getting out of control
3 -cherries jubilee
4 - plumeria
5 - yellow mussenda (sp?)

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 7, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9233610

Hi Kay,
Not really sure, in the past I have had 3 GH and lots of room in my house, but now I have only one GH and limited space indoors at the new house. That is why I have to get rid of some of them. A lot of what you see CAN be planted in the ground, but I just haven't had time.

Begonias:

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9233612

Thank You for the beautiful eye candy today. I needed to see some. it has been a hard work week so far.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 7, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9233617

last ones for tonight

1 - begonia
2 - bromeliad - fingertip (?)
3 - Philo - Moonlight
4- Varg. Rubber tree
5 - Clerodendron - musical notes - about to bloom

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 7, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9233626

Hi Debra,
The musical notes was from you. It is one of my favorite plants. I thought I had lost it, but it made a comeback and is about to burst with blooms. Thank you and I hope the rest of the week is easier for you.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9233858

Those are all beautiful, Paula!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9233890

Paula,
I'm in the same boat...pots of stuff sitting around that need to be planted or up potted.
I love the Angel wing Begonia on the far right with the spots and light pink blooms.
If you have Hoya's you want to find a home for I'll be glad to adopt some !! or trade you.

Deb you need to take a break girl and rest !!
Ric Rac Cactus, Philodendron grazielae ( opps did that twice) Cool Philo but a PIA to root
Variegated Philo

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 6:55 AM

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9233989

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been absent for so long, but I've been severely busy... Well, aside from the 1-week vacation with my fiance and her family down to Chincoteague last week. Aside from that, I've just been about going insane with getting everything lined up for buying the house and getting ready for the wedding.

...Which is happening this Saturday.

Anyways, during this whole mess, I've managed to acquire two new kittens, Samwise and Watson, who will be moving into the new house, once the deal is closed (sometime during the week after the honeymoon), as well as a few more plants.

While in Chincoteague, we went to two fairly large nurseries nearby (one was on Wallop's Island and the other was along 13 just before you get to the road going back to Chincoteague) and I bought two "Pink Cascade" Tamarisks, a LARGE Yucca Recurvifolia (it already has a 1.5' trunk) and a Yucca Gloriosa "Lone Star"... Now I need to see about getting the rest of my plants ready to move (probably going to wait until the actual week of the move for some, so I don't have to worry about watering them), But I'm definitely going to be digging my palms before the end of the week.

I'll try to post pics later, but no guarantees.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9234018

Wow - I'm tired, just reading about your plans! LOL Yes, please post pictures of the move and the wedding - we love pictures!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9234063

I agree with Kay, you have been busy. I used to live on the Eastern Shore and there are some pretty cool nurseries there, the weather is perfect for growing everything but the true tropicals. I had a small nursery of my own then but I also worked for a large wholesale fern grower - he had 6 acres under glass. Thousands of ferns.

My nephew was just visiting from Long Island and he seems to be very interested in yuccas, I'll have to make note of the ones you picked up and pass the names on to him.

It is so exciting - we have finally gotten some rain here, over 2" in the last day and a half. It is coming down slowly out here, I noticed there was a lot of flooding in town yesterday but it is being absorbed nicely here. You can almost hear the trees sighing, things were so dry for so long.

{{{Deb}}}, sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Haven't taken any pictures of flowers lately but Boolie was so happy to have little people here, he got lots of loving from my 3 great nieces.

Thumbnail by ardesia

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9234087

Alice I LOVE that photo !!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9234513

As well! You need to frame that Alice!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9234515

I think I could live down there and do all of your manual labor Alice! Room and board sound good?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9234546

I'll see that bid and raise you one! Then come down to FL for the winter, after Alice doesn't need you, room & board plus beach time, for garden work??

Alice, that really is a classic photo, so beautifully composed. Paula, you really need to hire a landscaper to plant your private botanical garden, girlfriend!

Here's my latest Master Gardener project - to be a veggie and butterfly garden at the local elementary school. The teacher (in the pic) got the Boy Scouts to donate all materials and install her raised beds!

Rita's lovely costus has another flower.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9234766

Sounds great Elaine!!! Maybe throw in some sunset cruises? AAAAAHHH!... Now you're talking!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9234856

Elaine, that teacher looks so involved, I wish all teachers had that enthusiasm it would be easier to get mg volunteers to work with them. .

Drew, anyone that wants to whack back wax myrtles on a weekly basis is welcome here. Bring your machete and lots of bug spray. LOL

Thank you all for the nice compliments on the photo, my niece bonded with Boo and they stayed stuck together like that for 5 days. He is part golden retriever so he loves leaning into people.

Paula, things will come together, you just need more time. Moving is always difficult. Have you considered making some frames like for raised beds and sitting the pots in them. You can surround the pots with vermiculite or peat moss which will hold the moisture. It is sort of like heeling in a transplant until you can get the new hole dug. You want to keep the roots cool and damp until you are ready.

After reading about it in a local newspaper I bought some 20% vinegar to use as a herbicide for annual weeds. I have a lot of chamber bitter here and I have found this stuff really works. It is dangerous, you can't get it on your skin or in your eyes but it is deadly on the annual weeds.

It is interesting, the leaves on my golden xanadu are not as deeply cut as some I have seen.

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9234953

It's still a darned pretty little Xanadu, Alice. Yes, I am lucky to have 3 different schools with good volunteer parents and teachers very engaged in the garden projects.

Our fleet of boats has shrunk this year from 4 to 3, Drew, but we can still go sunset cruising/sailing/fishing any time! What a bargain.

This Red Cloak just keeps getting prettier, thanks again Rita. The flower heads are so big now they flop over when they get wet.

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9235019

Ardesia,

The following Yuccas should do well in Long Island, which is zone 7a, IIRC:

Yucca Filamentosa (non-trunking)
Yucca glauca (semi trunking)
Yucca Recurvifolia (trunking)
Yucca Rostrata (trunking, but slow growing)
Yucca Aloifolia (trunking and super spiny)
Yucca Gloriosa (trunking, but rather slow growing)

...These have all been proven in Zone 6 (either personally or from a reputable source here or whom I know personally)

Anyways, I couldn't get any pics of the plants. I'll post some tomorrow. I'm actually pretty excited about the Tamarisks... I always thought they were very pretty, but was afraid to dig up any out west, where they are horribly invasive and bring them back, in case they proved just as invasive here. It turns out that the East coast climate, while great for GROWING tamarisks, is difficult for tamarisk seed germination... According to Tony Avent of Plant Delights nursery, who sells the same variety as what I got at the place near Chincoteague, he's had his parent plant for 20 years and has never seen a single seedling (he propagates them by stem cuttings). This fits with what I've observed in the tidewater area of Virginia: mature trees in people's yards, but no seedlings growing wild.

...And you all got some nice plants. Makes me wish I lived in Florida so I could grow more cool stuff outdoors. :-(

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9235032

wonderful photo of your grandaughter and Boolie.
glad you got some rain.

we just got our first over 300 electric bill in the 33 years we have been married. I can't wait for my first over 100 water bill..
sounds like everyone is very busy and is going to be very busy for a while.

Joe wanted me to take a picture of the banana from KayJones. He LOVES it. it is so big, he is 6 ft tall and it is taller than him, with two pups.
too many umbrellas to dodge around in this area, and the meter on the house doesn't look pretty, but we are sure happy with this plant.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9235037

an array of colors greeted me this am..

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9235246

What cool pics of the butterfly on the asclepias, they never hold still long enough for me to get a good shot. I love seeing your jungle in Kansas. If it makes you feel any better our water bills are never under a $100 and usually much, much, much higher.

Maurice Amy begonia is getting tall, about 4' now. It does not photograph well, I have tried in different light, maybe I need to use a flash and see if the colors show up that way.

Lois Burks begonia was in every nursery around here this spring, they must have tissue cultured that one.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9235248

Alice, I don't know how you grow Begonias to such beautiful stature - I simply CAN NOT grow Begonias - they just melt away!

Deb, as usual - your flowers/plants are amazing!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9235252

I think begonias like to dry out between waterings and that was easy for me as we have had a drought - up until this week when we had 2". People tend to fuss too much over them. They don't need a lot of fertilizer either, just a bit of timed release when you plant them. Elaine can take my cuttings and grow them into monster plants. LOL

Hikaro - Thanks for the yucca info, I am going to send my nephew a Y. filimentosa 'Color Guard' and see how that does on LI..

Another begonia - I forget the name on this one.

Thumbnail by ardesia

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 9, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9235266

Debra,
You are too funny! I can always send you my other electric bill and you can be more 'excited'! Its a pain having to pay utilities on two houses!! This last month the house we don't live in, the bill was $256...where we live now $334. I went by last week to water a few plants there and I noticed the unit was running. 30 minutes later when I started to leave, the unit was still running. I went inside to check the AC and it was on 68, the realtor obviously turned it down for some reason and left it. We had it set on 82. Woo I was mad...also left 3 lights on. I called my husband and told him he needed to have a chat with him. If hes going to do that, I'll send him the bill.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9235268

Heard that! That's B.S.! He wants to just walk in and the house be "comfortable" for a showing.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 9, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9235284

Exactly!! My son checked on it a couple of days ago and more lights were left on. I am going by today and if I find lights on...I'm calling him myself!!

Anxiously awaiting my new arrival!!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9235752

Don't wait to call him - call his Broker and inform him of what's happening - the agent may be responsible for the bill. I used to sell real estate and that was one of the biggest rules - turn the lights OFF and turn the a/c to 78. It's his responsibility to go, ahead of a showing, and ready the home.
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9235973

GAGirl, that realtor sounds kinda shady... I had a bad experience the first time I tried to get a realtor to help me look for houses: She only wanted to show me expensive properties, EVEN THOUGH I told her I COULDN'T AFFORD THEM, then when my initial pre-approval got rejected, she refused to return any of my calls. Thankfully the guy I got now is super-awesomesauce. He was willing to work with me, even when I was initially just looking to buy lots in the $20,000 - $30,000 range, and he gave me good advice on where to go apply for a VA loan and everything. The only downside with him is that he's SO good that it can sometimes be a bit difficult to get in touch with him, due to him being in such high demand... :-/

Anyways, as luck would have it, we have a thunderstorm rolling through as soon as I get home, so no plant picks for now... I'll just show pics of our cats instead:

First is Oreo (black and white cat) with Goldilocks (yellow tabby)
Second is Watson (cream colored kitten) and Samwise (yellow tabby kitten)

Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9236099

With MLS, you never know who is showing your home. Your agent may not be the culprit but he or she should know who is.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9236239

Alice, you are right. MLS keeps a log of each agent's showings and all the details.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9236288

I'll be cooling off up in Canada for a week, so will look forward to seeing lots of pretty pictures when I get back.

It's possible but not likely that I'll be able to get time online while I'm there. Friends and family keep us hopping.

Pretty little gold dates on my areca palm.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9236349

Have Fun!
Basement Garden Pictures tonight..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9236350

I am sure some of you recogonize these beauties.. so much nicer inside than it is outside right now.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9236359

I love dates, and I also love Orio and Goldielocks, wish they would come and visit me ,,( need mice catchers)
I have had two of my begonias melt, now, I know I drowned them.. Thanks for letting me know how to water them..
This is the south end of the basement, and the chalice vine never made it upstairs, and the hibiscus tree which just finished flushing, came inside in July. he brugs were in pots already, and now they are budding..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9236360

I wish I knew what this plant is.. I grew it from a seed, i thought it was an abutitlon, but here is the bloom, you tell me..
Paula, My other Sis In Law, Paula, is also handling and paying for two homes, only she isn't selling the one here, I babysit it, they will be home in January.. I can't imagine paying for two homes..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 10, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9236407

Debra,
It looks similiar to Turks cap - Pam Puryear that I have.

Beautiful plants as always!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9236417

Looks like a pink turks cap to me also.

Have fun in Canada Elaine, just the thought of cooler weather sounds wonderful.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9236441

Good morning, everyone! Deb, I have pink turks cap - I will take a picture and post it so you can compare the leaves and blooms.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9237214

Deb, here's a picture of my pink turk's cap Hibiscus, so you can compare yours and see if that's what you have:

Edited to say that this sure is a blurry picture - will try for better pic. tomorrow.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2012 8:10 PM

Thumbnail by KayJones

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 11, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9237535

Here's some more...never got around to posting them the other day.

1 - Begonia
2 - lipstick plant
3- Hoya - hindu rope
4 - Hoya kerrii varg.
5 - I don't know how I missed all these blooms, must have been when I was on vacation. This is one that got fried when my fan went out on GH, but its gonna make it.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 11, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9237541

and a few more:

All these are rhipsalis except the string of beads (pearls)

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 11, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9237544

1 - Philo "moonlight'
2 - Bromeliad
3 - this Kerri has all white leaves on the one branch
4 -Costus
5 - Philodendron

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9237610

Holy cow, those are all pretty!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9237655

string of beads plant I think is really unique plant, I had one up north and always had lots of comments on it, it was sold when we moved away as you couldn't bring anything (well without papers and a hassle) to Florida. Besides, I'm still trying to figure out what I like and don't like to grow here, as I was a H U G E perennial plant lover. I know some of them will do ok here, but all that I've tried so far (it hasn't been that many) just dye. So instead of being a plant murderer I just quit purchasing them...LOL

All the pictures are really amazing. Thanks all for sharing.

Jan
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 11, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9237692

Jan,
Don't get discouraged...you live in a place where you can grow almost anything. Having lived up north, maybe you were used to different plants. But in florida you can grow alot of tropicals as 'perrenials'. If you would like to try the string of beads again...I have a small 4 in. pot I could send to you.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9237780

Paula, I have a big pot of the string of pearls in the greenhouse and they are slowly declining - please tell me how to treat these plants.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 11, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9237977

Well Kay...I don't know that I know the secret. I mostly ignore mine and it seems to do fine. We have been having so much rain lately and its outside. I'm thinking I may need to put it back in the GH. I moved most of my succ. back yesterday, because they were to wet. Just got another downpour...1 inch. It has rained for the last 10-12 days...anywhere from 1/2 in. to more than an inch. We are waterlogged, but it is filling up our pond, which is good, we stocked it about a month ago.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9238078

We just had a bit of the wet stuff also but nothing like you have been getting. I am still running my irrigation system to keep things hydrated. It rains all around us. At the mg booth at the farmers market this morning everyone kept asking about how to deal with all this rain and all I could think was what rain????

The succulents need fresh air and excellent drainage, the GH may be too stuffy during the humid summer months. However, it may be your only option Paula.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9238191

Anybody want to guess that this flower is? This is an early morning shot, by late afternoon the petals are a deep rosy pink. Second pic is the unripe seed pod for the same plant. This plant is in the hibiscus family, I think some of you might be surprised.

Last pic is completely unrelated, it is the curcuma White Swan.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 11, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9238195

I don't know, but I want a seed pod...please!!!???
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9238239

It looks like an Okra bloom to me, Alice.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9238406

You are close Kay, same family, it is red stemmed white cotton. I'll take a picture of the whole plant tomorrow, it is quite unusual. I expect that seed pod will open up to the typical boll. It is illegal in many southern states for homeowners to grow cotton because of the boll weevil but there are no cottton fields in my county so I am taking the chance.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9238486

we have cotton growing here right down the hiway. it is even looking lush with no rain. corn crops got turned under tho from no rain.

Thumbnail by joeswife

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9238564

GAgirl you are so kind, but since I'm getting ready with veggie seeds, I'll have to decline your wonderful offer right now. I'll just continue to enjoy yours.

Jan
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9241568

I am so happy! I just harvested 10 Rangoon creeper seed pods - woohoooo!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9241654

You should be proud too. :-)
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9241694

Now, what to do with them!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9241710

LOL...well I can think of one person who'd like some !!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9241716

I'll be happy to send you a pod - you wanted red Achimines, too - right? You will need to remind me at the end of Sept. when I cut them back and put them in the greenhouse. Don't forget to REMIND ME! I have really bad CRS and sometimes can't remember what I ate during the day!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9241878

Hi Ardesia - I love your cotton! I had a regular cotton plant a few years ago and the blooms were so pretty. I have never seen this variety. I read that having cotton in your yard is a dying thing and that homeowners used to have cotton in their yards all the time, but that nobody has it anymore.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9241888

I want to try some cotton, and any seeds anyone wants me to grow..
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9242591

Here is the whole cotton plant and the second picture is of the calyxs which are pretty in their own right. I can't wait for the first pod (or boll) to split open.

Drew, you were right, the Kona Coffee is doing much better in the pond.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9242824

I had some little pots of Kona coffee that seemed to disappear over the winter. I didn't toss them, but set them outside on the back of one of my benches...and after all this rain they are coming back !!! So I'll have to make one of my mini ponds for them. One of these days I'll get a real pond...sigh...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9242879

LOL, My spouse took some donations to the Habitat ReStore and found one of those little plastic ponds there, the kind that Lowe's sells. It was brand new, I guess someone thought they would want a pond but never did anything about it so they donated it. I have always had large ponds but at this stage this little puddle is about all I can manage.

Thumbnail by ardesia

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9243080

my pond is now a bog...;( I lost my water lilly, too. boo hoo.. but the bog plants are happy..
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9243898

Let us flip the page Peeps!

Please join us at;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275837/ Tropical Gardens and Plants #124

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 5:05 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America