One man's trash is another Dog's treasure!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

So i just now had a look at the sewing and quilting section of this site, and i suddenly feel even more at home than i did from the garden stuff, LOL!

I too am a sewing maniac! My field is making clothing for dogs (not silly yoda outfits or a clown costume), i specialize in making dog clothing out of unwanted human clothing that would just end up in a landfill otherwise.

Here are some photos of my work, some "before and after" type things, showing the unwanted outfit to the left, and then my version of it for the dog over to the right.

I am a member of a dalmatian lovers fan club if you havent noticed by the photos, LOL :)

Would love to hear your comments. :)

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

what a cool idea!

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Love what you are doing jmc, really nifty way to re-cycle. Are all these your dogs?

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

That's great!!! What a wonderful way to reuse....

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I've made dog "raincoats" from the dollar store vinyl w/flannel under table cloths. My friend had furr balls that took forever to dry. Even added a back flap to cover the fluffy tails.

Welcome to the Sewing area.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes welcome indeed. Always nice to meet a new friend.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

@Silio, no these are my friends dog that belong in the dalmatian lovers fan club. :)

I find that often, making the outfits from unwanted human clothing costs a heck of a lot less in a lot of cases than if i hunted down the raw fabric and notions. (like that leather jacket for example, which was 100% real leather). plus even though i could make them from scratch look just as good, it does save on several stitches and embellishments, lol.

I would be happy to make anything for your 4 legged kids, feel free to shoot a message my way about it. :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Here are some things that i have made from scratch--just hunted down raw fabric and all that. (just to prove i am not just a lazy seamstress, LOL!)

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

O my, those are just to darn cute, and a brilliant idea ' to boot' . I bet they would like to see those pictures the pet forum.

So glad you found the sewing and quilting forum

This message was edited Jul 23, 2012 7:02 AM

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

well i would share there, but i am basically living on my every nickel and dime at the moment and couldn't do a paid subscription. :)

Those motorcycle jackets are just TOO cute.
Would a local Vet or pet shelter let you sell your items?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

JMC..... I posted this on the pet forum and within minutes someone who wishes to remain unnamed has gotten you a one year membership. Fell free to wonder and post away on Daves .

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

well i am just blown away @Gardenglory, thanks so much!

@Qwilter, actually i do sell them already, just as an off to the side hobby of course. i do custom sizes according to the dogs specific measurements, not really doing a set standard size like "Small, medium, large, etc"

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

those are fabulous! Thanks for the tip to visit here Pam. :-)

Tam

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

All I did was post on the pet forum. It was one of them who did it. Glad to have you tho!!!

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Wow those are fabulous and what great models
Cher

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Amazing - truly amazing...... Both the work and the dogs!!

I think it is WONDERFUL someone was so interested they purchased a membership for you.
Have a great time on the other forums and keep us posted.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................quilted dog clothes!!!!!!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL!

actually a closer look at the photo of the dog wearing the purple coat with white and black fake fur, shows that the material was already somewhat quilted, you know, that pre diamond quilt stuff? but i know, not the same KIND of quilting, lol! :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

anyone is welcome to send me a request if they want something for their 4 legged kids

I have cats - they are too "proud/regal" to wear clothes!!!!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Ya, Jean THAT's cat for you! They think nothing is better than their own fur!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.