Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: DJ'S AUGUST SWAP "SIGN-UP" HERE

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 145, Views: 901
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9214508

WELL AFTER SOME ADVICE OR INPUT FROM A COUPLE OF YOU I HOPE I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION FROM OUR OVER HEATED GARDENS :)

NO ONE REALLY KNOWS HOW HOT OR COOL AUGUST IS GOING TO BE FOR US SO PENDING YOUR AREA & WHAT WORKS FOR YOU OR YOUR PARTNER PLEASE NOTE WHEN YOU SIGN UP THE CHOICES OF HOW YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE

#1 A CARD WITH GIFT CARD FOR YOUR FAVORITE TYPE OF STORE "GIVE A LIST LIKE WAL-MART-K-MART-HOME-DEPOT-ECT ECT
#2 GIFT CARD FROM AN ONLINE PLANT NURSERY , LIKE BLUESTONE, MICHIGAN BULB, ECT ECT ECT
#3 1-2 NICE SIZE PLANT OUT OF YOUR PARTNERS GARDEN
#4 WHAT EVER MY PARTNER CAN DO .IS FINE WITH ME .

LET ME REMIND YOU ALL THAT WE TRY TO KEEP AN $20. LIMIT THEN THERE IS SHIPPING & SO IF YOU ARE ORDERING GIFT CARDS FOR $20 FROM
A NURSERY PLEASE ASK IF THERE IS SHIPPING & HOW MUCH. OR MAYBE JUST CHECK THEIR WISH LIST FIND A COUPLE PLANTS & hAVE THEM SENT .

AS YOU ALL KNOW ALSO THE 2012 BULB CATALOGS ARE OUT & THERE ARE A FEW GOOD DEALS SO THIS MIGHT BE ANOTHER OPTION
TO LIST IF YOUR INTO BULBS .

PAST SWAPS

SPRING 2012 PLANT SWAP " WISH LIST"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243397/

APRIL SWAP : CLOSED
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248330/

MAY SWAP:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255653/#new

JULY PLANT SWAP OPEN FOR SIGN UP HOPE YOU WILL JOIN US

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265705/

Thumbnail by deejay9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9214510

PLAYERS

DEEJAY9---- OPEN TO ALL
CHEERMOM--- #4
POISONDARTFROG---# 3
MITTSY ----# 3

This message was edited Jul 23, 2012 8:20 AM

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9214960

I would like to join and I'll pick #4 whatever my partner would like to do is fine with me.

Sue G

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9215242

Hello Susie,
My preference would be #3. I will join if there is a partner that is in the "1-2 NICE SIZE PLANT OUT OF YOUR PARTNERS GARDEN" club.
Alana
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9215249

Morning Susie, I'd love to join. #3 would be my choice, too. Waving to Alana and Sue. I'm still cleaning those hundreds of spring bulbs (Narcissus and Daffodils) that my sister didn't want anymore. They're a mix of sizes, colors and types, not labeled.
mittsy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9215369

welcome ev1 sound like your busy Mittsy thats allot of bulbs :)
I also have many bulbs i had dug up this past spring to move to another garden so i hope to share some of them also .
good to have you with us .

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 23, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9215593

Hi deejay!
Please add me too! I am good with whatever:)
Thanks!
ahoogstra

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9215799

GOTTCHA ALI_C
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9216022

I'll go with whatever is easy for my partner. Spring flowering bulbs would be great too.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9216136

DEEJAY9---- OPEN TO ALL
CHEERMOM--- #4
POISONDARTFROG---# 3
MITTSY ----# 3
AHOOGSTRA----# 4
FRUITOFTHEVINE--3-4

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9216175

evening all I will return in the morning signing off to go make room for my new frig is on the way :) good night to all.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

July 23, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9216506

Hi Susie...

I'd love to join the August swap if you have room.

# 2 would work the best for me as here in southern California we are in the upper 90s and 100 degree temps daily... shipping a plant would be risky for me...but I'd love a gift card/certificate for Annies Annuals or White Flower Farms (although I think WFF gift certificates are in $25.00 increments) that I could use in the fall when temps cool down... Annies is a favorite of mine!

Alternatively #1 would be nice - for the Vermont Country Store...

Ordering cards online sounds nice during these hot days!! -:)

Nancy

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9216579

Hi Susie! Hi Everyone!

I finally found the august thread...been out of town a while!

I'd like to be in the August swap! I can be "open to all" choices...whatever works!

I have tons of daffodil bulbs from the school garden that we are moving...so when you're my partner...let me know if you want any! I'll update my "haves" on the thread!

Hope everyone is trying to stay cool!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9216622

GM & Welcome I Hope I Have given enough choices just wanted to have this swap open to a few different choices for we do not know for sure what the weather is going to be :) .

i will possible be away later this morning till ?? so will check back when i get home to see if there are any more to sign up or if you have any questions please ask & someone can answer you :)
have a great day

DEEJAY9---- OPEN TO ALL
CHEERMOM--- #4
POISONDARTFROG---# 3
MITTSY ----# 3
AHOOGSTRA----# 4
FRUITOFTHEVINE--3-4
NF2932----#2
ALIKAT32----OPEN TO ALL
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9219960

count me in please...I'm open to all.
Thanks!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9220431

DEEJAY9---- OPEN TO ALL
CHEERMOM--- #4
POISONDARTFROG---# 3
MITTSY ----# 3
AHOOGSTRA----# 4
FRUITOFTHEVINE--3-4
NF2932----#2
ALIKAT32----OPEN TO ALL
CHELLFLOWER---OPEN TO ALL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9223551

Message from another swap thread...

Hi Everyone!
I just spoke to Deejay(Susie) her dad passed this morning. She asked me to let everyone know, and she wanted me to tell everyone she will be on when she can! I told her NO worries and that we would all be thinking and praying for her, and she (like she would) said she is thinking of all of us too!
Thanks everyone!
Ahoogstra

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9224014

EVENING TO ALL Yes daddy Is resting BACK ON THE FARM With his Grandparents :) & I Hope to also get caught up on my rest also .
SO If anyone is LURKING & Wanting to JOIN US PLEASE DO SO TONIGHT OR BY 8AM AUG 1st . SO I Can ASSIGN Our Partners .
By tomorrow morning .

All the arrangements Have been made For THURSDAY & FRI So I Have the two days to make a few calls & be able to enjoy some gardening chat , WELL the phone keeps ringing so you all have a great evening & TY all for yours emails .
ya all are wonderful , i will be back for coffee in the morning :)
susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9224532

GM We got quit a rain storm last night power went out from 3am till about 6:15 am just came back on everyone is still sleeping in the house so I Made coffee here . I'm so rested right now & Going to go in soon to get some baking done for the Luncheon after the funural.
wow guess i thought today was the 1st & I see it is tomorrow so .

ALL LURKING MEMBERS

Please come Join us by this evening .

IT FUN TO SHARE ,FUN TO RECEIVE , thank you all for your SUPPORT right now :)
Love you all

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 31, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9224539

GM We got the same storm last night as you did Susie! I'll be praying for continues strength and peace for you and your family!
Love to you!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9224672

TY & GM Just got my Cakes in the oven time for a coffee & All my calls are done so NOW what to do today :) I'm so used to MULTITASKING
Now I Have to find more to do :) I will just have to come peek see what you all up to right now going to go do something for i cannot sit :)
HUGS To all
susie
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9224711

Hugs to you susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9225671

GM to all today is the day But I REC"D A D-mail from a member who would like to join us for august & I Have to wait & Verify for sure so I Have given her till this evening to get back with me or to post here so we Know for sure she wants in .

so hope you can take the pins out of your seats for a few more HOURS & I Will have you your Partners name by 11 pm tonight or 1st thing tomorrow . we have family coming from out of state for the next two days.

off to check other sites while i finish my coffee then off to get some baking done ya all have a great day & Thank you for the well wishes:)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9226673

ok here are the players
DEEJAY9---- OPEN TO ALL
CHEERMOM--- #4
POISONDARTFROG---# 3
MITTSY ----# 3
AHOOGSTRA----# 4
FRUITOFTHEVINE--3-4
NF2932----#2
ALIKAT32----OPEN TO ALL
CHELLFLOWER---OPEN TO ALL
REDUNICORN -----DMAILED ME TO ASK IF SHE COULD JOIN US STILL WAITING TO HEAR BACK FROM HER.
BUT I HAVE SENT EVERYONE YOUR PARTNERS NAMES & ADDRESSES .

I NEED NR2932 'S ADDRESS . I WILL BE IN TO CHECK WHEN I GET HOME FROM THE 1ST VIEWING TOMORROW
SO IF ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DMAIL ME .

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9226791

Got my name Susie. Thanks.
Alana

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9226817

QUESTION ???
Would you all like to know who your SENDING to & RECEIVING Posted here or keep it a secret ???
ican post them here if you want or on the show N Tell thread . I Won't make a New thread till Someone says they are sending right away .
JLMK
Much more to do today but will be in & Out . have a great day ev1
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9227440

I'm absolutely thrilled with my buddy's name!

However you decide to handle the list is fine with me, Susie. Continuing here to think of you and your family.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 2, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9227529

Have fun all!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9227748

evening ev1 its late but it has been a great day with old & NEW Friends AT the viewing today daddy looked Much younger more like his 70 then 99 :)
Oh Minn Your going to have just as Much fun watching us wish you could have played . OH YEAH You Can Play . You Can Put Up a few GAMEs for us to play while we are waiting for our boxes to arrive :))))) HOW ABOUT IT ????
I Will be back in early morning tomorrow for coffee if anyone is up :))) . right now gotta go lay back .
HUGS To all
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9227851

I just wanted to let everyone know that you can save a few dollars by using the Regional Zone boxes from the USPS They're new and Priority mail. The boxes are free and delivered right to your house. You can't get them from the Post Office, only by mail. They come in four designations A, B, C, and D. And in two different shapes per designation.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9227893

I will see what i can think of susie :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9227914

the harder the better we have smart people here :) HEHE Have a great day ev1 . back later this eve.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9228646

Evening all Sure Seems as today should be Saturday It was a full Happy day We all Laughed so hard I'm sure daddy was Laughing right along with us at all the stories being told about him today . even all the Honor Guards Came to Have Lunch with us At the Park .
they couldn't believe all the food we had fixed My 6 layer bean dip was gone within a matter of the 1st round & that was a 9x13 pan:)
Plus Both peanut butter sheet cake was gone . we didn't have much left witch was great :) . we just ran out of cold drinks :(
But Not for long The Minister went down to the store & Bought 2 cases of water & we stuck them on ice :)
it was a great day .

Now I can get back into gardening full time :) & getting my Home Fixed up. & maybe even do some travel :)

I NEED NR2932 'S ADDRESS . So I can share with your partner Please .
gotta show ya how excited My tinker was when i got home today she had been out in her pen & when i got home i let them all out
she came running into the house & going to her favorite spot when she wants to watch TV :) & Then mom & dad wondering why they can't come in :( well off to put them in their pen & get them tucked in for the night .
ya all be well back later

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 3, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9228738

Oh my Susie! That is SOOOO funny! She is so big! I can't believe it..too cute!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9228783

YOU WILL SEE HOW SPOILED SHE IS WHEN YOU VISIT :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9228800

TY All For signing our guess book & All your best wishes . we Had a BEAUTY FUL GOOD BYE Today .
special TY"S To THERE WERE SO MANY OTHERS that I didn't know was reading about us so thank you for the kinds words also :

ALICA/AHOOGSTRA
LIZ/LIZRAINEY
SUSAN /FOTV
KRIS/MUD_ELF
PATTI/CRIT
STEPHINE / MINNESIPI
LINDAK/TATERS55
NANCY /
ALANA/POISONDARTFROG

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9229043

DJ -- Tinker is so big now! OMG is that a cute - I love that she watches TV with you!

I am so happy to hear that yesterday was a great goodbye for a great father! :) Hugs and love always!

I don't care if we're secret or not for august...but if our partner has choices...is it just up to us to decide?

Games -- not sure I'm smart enough for those games! I can't even identify Kathy's plants - ever!

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 4, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9229766

Lol, here is a brain teaser for you.
Its raining, what am i doing? (Besides yard work)
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9229980

Getting wet?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 5, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9230073

Nope.
This is what i have done while i am doing what i am doing, and remeber, its not yard work...dug up a dead nine bush and two spirea, planted three rose bushes in their places in front of the house, planted ALL potted plants that i have purchased or reveived in trade, replanted the spirea, mowed, weeded, stacked wood, piled branches, 15 loads of laundry, cleaned out cabinets, placed a few pavers, had about 30 cups of coffee...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9230335

If you any ENERGY Left come Help Me :))))) I Just had to Perk a Pot I been unpacking boxes & my SIL Is already Throwing out what she Don't Want in the house RRRRR ..here come another Load .
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 5, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9230898

After i posted that, i cleaned out a compost pile, put 3 fence posts in, had a bon fire going for the rest of the day, raked, moved 10 6x6ft fence panels, and toasted some mrshmallows with my son and his friend. Then cleaned up what i was doing and what you all have to guess i was doing while i was doing al this other stuff. Then hubby got home from drill weekend and we went to kohls. I was the only one tha walked out without something...i got the bill though. ;) my knees and ankles and lower back are HURTING!!! And i also FINISHED washing and drying. Now i have 9 baskets of clothes to put away...
If i were closer susie, id be there in a heartbeat!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012

Post #9231154

GM Off to get my Blood draw then back home with lots of paperwork to take care of . just wishing you all a great day .
will be back later

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 8, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9234498

My box of goodies is postal! My friend should get it Sat or monday!
Thanks!
Ahoogstra
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9234558

so no one is going to try & guess what I was doing? :( (besides Mittsy)

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 8, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9234927

Oh my goodness...Mittsy...was my swap buddy, and SPOILED me rotten! I recv'd SOOOO much! A little Cactus, another really nice house plant, TWO hosta's TWO daylily's AND..TWo Corabell's and a foam flower! WOWOWOWOWOWO! Thank you soooooooo much! I am SOOOOO happy:)
Ahoogstra

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9234931

It's 114 right now and it's not usually this hot this time of the summer. usually about 105-106 so if it's 114 at 6pm it had to be 116-118 today. I count on being able to go out and work in the yard around 7:30 but ...looks like not today!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9235081

EVENing all sorry for being gone catching up on myself :) been off shopping with the girl :) got most of my buddies goodies :) for two swaps :)))) .

ALIC: Can you Take Pictures ,love to see your goodies .
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9235207

Alice so glad you like your box. After mailing it, I remembered the name of the Pothos, it's 'Marble Queen'. I hope you like the engraved daylily tags, they go through the winters here in NY just fine.
Mittsy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9235296

GM Wow Mittsy your up early I'm off to get my Blood draw done this morning Looks as we got a few drops of rain last night sure hope it pours BUCKETS Today SURE NEED It ;
back later

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 9, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9235325

GM all! Yes..I LOVE the tags! They are SO nice! I am excited to know the name of the Pothos! It's already potted:) Actually they are all in the garden or potted in the house! Thank you again SOOOO much!
Alicia

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

August 9, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9236183

Susan... (FOTV)

Keep your eyes open... you should receive two packages... One is coming from Oregon and the other from Ohio. I believe the Oregon package should arrive within a week... but you will have to be patient because the one from Ohio won't come until September... hopefully the anticipation will be fun!! I can't wait to hear what you think of my choices... let me know when they arrive and what you think... -:]

Boy is it HOT here... 110 today! My dog has already jumped in the pool twice in the 2 hours that i've been home from work!! Are you guys wilting also??

Post pics everyone... can't wait to see the August trades!

Nancy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9236277

Nancy, What have you done this time? Oh, don't tell me since you know how much I adore surprises and know the plants you picked for me will be perfect :)

Mittsy, I'm interested in how you make tags that last and don't fade. My P-Touch machine works well and affix printed labels on cut-up blinds, but the tape cartridges are expensive. What material do you use to make your embossed ones?

I'm on the fence to go in one of two directions for my Buddy, or may split the difference and do both, just haven't decided yet and will soon.

Steph, Oh my gracious, girl! You make me tired virtually following in your foot-steps.

Can't complain about our heat lately that's been in the mid-90's compared to the temps a lot of you are experiencing and we're in for a cool down in the low 80's both days this week-end. It's still pretty humid here, though. After watering early this morning, I weeded for a couple of hours, ended up soaking wet and took a cool shower. I don't mind the work and it's a chance to get lost in thoughts, but wearing glasses that have to constantly be pushed up on my nose or take time to clean them to see again is a pain. It's bad when you can hardly see Cannas and Elephant Ears for the grass :(

Thunderstorms aren't far away. Sure wish I could send rain your way, Susie.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9236305

we got the rain FINELY :) going to sleep great tonight just got home from BINGO awhile ago & I'm tired I was just checking a few things online for my partner & Looks as I Can go Shoping in my area tomorrow & Trust that they are in stock :) Hope to get my box out on MONDAY .
off to bed GN all.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9236412

I make my labels on an old Green engraving machine. My DH gifted me with it when he bought the machine shop contents from GE when they sold off before leaving Syracuse. I use triple layered black, white, black plastic, so I can engrave on both the front and back. I usually do a bunch at a time so I have the cultivar on one side and the type on the reverse, very handy for beardless irises. I attach the tag to the wire stake with stainless steel wire. I bend the stake in a bending jig. I am beginning to have trouble cutting the stake wire as I do not have the strength in my hands I used to.

The first picture is a shot of the pond with Pink Frost, Pleasant Journey (NOT) and Diomedes.
The second is a close up of the Picotee Princess tag.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9236438

MINN SORRY I MISSED THE QUIZ . I Guess you was playing games on facebook & typing here :)
raining today :) going to finish my coffee then off to walk a mall :) I Have NOT Been to a MALL IN Proble 5yrs so my friend judy & I are going to go to the mall to walk & Shop . we have no malls here in our little town so off to BC :) Look out Buddie.Love this rain :)
have a great day ev1

DEEJAY9----
CHEERMOM--
POISONDARTFROG
MITTSY --
AHOOGSTRA---REC'D
FRUITOFTHEVINE--
NF2932----
ALIKAT32----
CHELLFLOWER---
REDUNICORN -
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 10, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9236505

56 here this morning! Chilly and wonderful! This week has been gorgeous!
I was moving a couch the other night and pulled a muscle in my back - pretty bad :( I wont be doing much of anything this weekend regardless of how much needs to get done.

**ANSWER to brain teaser: I was having a garage sale...I had 12 people in 3 days :/ It ALWAYS rains when I have one and my main reason for having them is to focus my time on the front yard and gardens. Guess someone wanted me to get things done, huh? :)

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9236811

I'm told there is a package for me at home. I wonder...

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9237128

I guessed correctly. The package waiting for me was from Ahoogstra and it was a beaut-great plants and I did not have a single one of them.
3 daylilies
Antique Rose
Women Seeking Men
Joan Derifield
Veronica umbrosa "Georgia Blue"
Coreopis "Zagreb"
She also included a little stationery set that looks like she embellished it herself. Talented gal!
I am too tired tonight but I will take a picture tomorrow when I get ready to plant them out.
Thank you very much! I truly love all of it!
Alana
Edited for spelling. I confuse stationery and stationary.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2012 6:29 AM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9237236

Mittsy, Yours are the most professional labels I've ever seen and so easy to read, probably from a distance too. Mine are at ground level and just about stand on my head to read them. If you're comfortable using a power tool, have you thought about using a grinding wheel to help you cut the stakes?

Very nice selections, Alana. I really like my little V. 'Georgia Blue' ground cover and is one of the first plants that blooms in early Spring.

How was the Mall, Susie? Don't usually shop in them either but do enjoy people watching wherever I am. Steph, you need to be laying on the couch instead of moving it. We have a sleeper sofa that is a monster to just budge and takes two men to move it.

Take care everybody and have a great week-end.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9237460

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give it a try.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9237603

I have been flat on the couch for two days - when I am home anyway. I just listed our "old" couch & love seat on Craigslist. Hopefully we can get rid of them this weekend. I will NOT be helping carry or load. Its hard enough to take my pants off or pick up a sock off the floor! No gardening for me this weekend unless its at standing height. I did pluck some clematis seeds this morning, but I think that will be the extent of it. Hubby is going to need to mow the lawn today, I sure cant. And being it didnt get done last weekend (the back yard that is) it needs to be done today. Front yard still looks fine though.

Have a good day everyone!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9237814

lay up girl I Have been pulling weeds what a job they are taller then me TRUE FACT Been waiting for the Mail Hoping for a couple of boxes to arrive sure is late today or should be here soon .

hey Min How did you do on your sale ??? well back to the out doors nice cool cloudy, great time to be out there :)))
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9237932

Made about $30, which is less than normal but still not bad. Ppl don't like to sale on a dead end for some reason.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 11, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9238399

Mittsy, I would LOVE to buy several tags..they really are GREAT!!! Would you be interested? Just let me know:) Alana, I am so glad you enjoyed your box! I did make the stationary set:)
Have a great night!
Alicia
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9240002

Susie, are you planning to do a seed swap again this year? I'm starting to collect seeds already!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9240308

ANITA Yep it will about NOV When we start .
I REC"D My Box today From REDUNICORN & What a Box filled with very large fans of Daylilies ,
I GOT
CLOUDS OF KISSES
PANIC IN DETROIT
HOUDNI
NINA WINEGAR
ROUTE 66
CHINESE SCHOLAR
CAROLINA RUFFLES
WOULD LIKE TO SEE PICTURES IF POSSIBLE BEFORE PLANTING

DEEJAY9----REC"D
CHEERMOM--
POISONDARTFROG----REC"D
MITTSY --
AHOOGSTRA---REC'D
FRUITOFTHEVINE--
NF2932----
ALIKAT32----
CHELLFLOWER---
REDUNICORN -

Thumbnail by deejay9

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9240460

At last...I have the photos of my very special box. Thanks again ahoogstra!

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog   Thumbnail by poisondartfrog

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9240845

Love the hand made cards. What a nice touch.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9240897

I will be mailing my partner's box on Saturday if I have time, Monday if I don't. I will post to confirm.
Alana

This message was edited Aug 14, 2012 7:43 AM

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 14, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9240943

Hey Mittsy...do you send out cards regularly? I would be happy to send you some:)
Ahoogstra

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9241015

Suan Forgot to Mention the wall in the mall was long but Fun & about $30. less then i went with but was a great walk & will do it again :)
but not to soon :) well off to pack another box to get mailed out :) .
Have a great day EV1
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9241533

I just love the handmade part of it. I send them to my quilting friends that appreciate the work that goes into them. I save the ones sent to me.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9242934

I do the same thing, Mittsy. It's nice on a rainy or a long Winter's Day to look at the cards people have taken the time to send me. There's nothing like sharing a personal touch.

My August buddy will receive a few plants that are on her wants list. I've already ordered them but after four phone tries in two days to pay, I'm about ready to give up and send the vendor a MO.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9243178

I'm having a dilema, perhaps someone here can offer a suggestion. I want to give water lilies for postage. I thought I'd be able to use my sister's Paypal account. After investigating we've found out they will charge her a percentage of the price and a set fee on the amount deposited. I can't ask for more money to cover that amount. Financially I can't afford to lose money on the offer. My bank just lost their lease so I closed out my personal account. Our joint acct is quite far away to deposit checks. I have to box up the lily, then weigh it and tell the trader the amount, unbox it and put it back into the water, and wait for the check to arrive. Box it up again and take it to the post office. A postal money order would be great. Any suggestions?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9243387

Mittsy Use a Small Flat rate box to ship cut them back to fit everyone knows they will grow for they are PERENNIAL so shouldn't hurt to cut it back & Have them send you the $10.65 to cover the flat rate cost & Conf# they can send you cash or MO .
we are getting some much needed rain today so I can get back into my gardens Tomorrow & Hope get my Buddies out by SATURDAY .
sorry for being so late.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9243519

Mittsy,
You can have your senders send your payments as a "gift" in Paypal. That way you will not be charged any fees. Otherwise you could calculate the feeds and add that to the amount they send so that your end will be covered.
Alana
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9243560

Thanks for the info.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9243860

Mittsy, here's a link that will calculate PayPal fees for you.

http://thefeecalculator.com/

Got my buddy's plants paid for online yesterday evening, now waiting for a confirmation #.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9243945

After being gone most of the day, I just opened today's mail. Nancy!! Thank you so much for the generous Swan Island Dahlia Gift Certificate.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9244099

Susie - the winning PowerBall was sold in Michigan - was it you? (Like you would tell us if it was LOL)!!!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9244969

I was hoping the winning ticket was sold here. LoL
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9245077

Somebody in VA won a cool $1M. I could live with that, even after taxes.

You know the old saying 'you've got to pay to play'. And we used to play Pick 5 but haven't for years. Occasionally we'd win a whopping $5 or a free ticket.

If you won a Mega Jackpot, what would you do with the money?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9245171

ok where did my post go I wrote that I Had not won the power Game for I Had not played I Play Keno , my brother keeps telling me hes going to be rich soon & that I won't have to worry about bills he will take care of them all & give me 1000 a week for life :) so I told him I could handle that :) he's the family Dreamer :) but i love him .

If i was to win a mil ,I Would still be right here Playing in my gardens with a BETTER TRACTOR :))) Or HIRE Someone to Help me .
Oh & I Just Might try to make it to many of the round ups so i could meet many of my gardening friend :)))
oh ALSO BUY A FEW PLANTS I DON'T HAVE . IF THAT IS POSSIBLE :)

well my peanut is ready to go to bed so guess i better turn in ya all have a great weekend .
also my buddies box was mailed today :)))) so should arrive on MONDAY .
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9245376

I think that playing the What if (I won a million) game is the fun. Of course I think the journey should be enjoyed as much as the destination. I have wonderful memories of vidalia onion sandwiches made in the car on the trip to bring our dad home when he was dying with cancer. Another roadside stop brought us peaches so perfect that the juice ran down our arms and dripped off our elbows. Sometimes you just come across something that just causes you to laugh. I did take some pictures of some whimsical flamingoes on a trip to a plant swap. Aren't they something? I wonder if they leave them in place all winter?

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9245401

cool picture mittsy they look so real :) well a nice sunny morning haven my coffee then off to feed the critter Have to leave them in their pens till i get home going to go up to the market today to check out the new VENDORS I hear is there this weekend.
one of them are selling a type of fertilizer you just add to your plants one time HUMMMMM its made with Coal . will let you all know more when i find out what it is about. have a great day .
susie
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 18, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9245419

i would start by buying 2 new vehicles...although I would need a cab to get anywhere right now. Both our vehicles "tanked". Age for mine, tranny for my DH. When it rains it pours I guess. Then pay off the bills, buy my dream house and start over in the gardens. Plan this time :) ahead instead of during.
Everything needs a good drink today. Lots of wilting going on. 50 degrees this morning. Fall is here temporarily. Back in the 80's next week.
20 year class reunion is tonight. Looking forward to seeing lots of people. Some, havent changed and I could care less if I see them. I am making the memorial table for two of our classmates who took their own lives. One our senior year, the other 15 years ago. Also taking care of getting the photos together on a DVD to play. Wish I had more, but I guess what I have will be fine.

Lots to do today around the house. I have to figure out what to wear tonight too...Hope the headache holds off.
Have a great weekend everyone.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9246812

I just got my buddie's box packed and ready for the mailman to pick up in the morning. It's going...somewhere.
Have a great week,
Alana
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9246895

If I won I would set my mother up so she wouldnt worry about money any more, along with my sons and grands. I would set up a few of my friends so they wouldn't have medical worries, adopt a couple of families, build a new church.Then I would buy a modest piece of land in a nice climate with a pond and lots of room for gardening. Oh and build a home with a nice green house a sewing room. LoL

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9246976

I Never got old enough to sew :) so guess i'll have to Buy a Patchwork Quilt :)))) Well i just stopped in to say I'm going to put up SEPT SWAP Here soon .

HERE WE ARE THE NEW SIGN UP THREAD CHECK IT OUT .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276209/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9247064

It never hurts to dream about winning big bucks, and even more thoughtful to remember others less fortunate should we ever be so lucky to have deep pockets.

My late parents were children during the Great Depression, neither ever wasted a morsel or anything else, and remember them saying, 'Charity begins at home.'
Among other Civic-minded opportunities like you mentioned, Anita, I'd open a shelter for battered women with children complete with state-of-the-art classrooms for their kids and the best job-related opportunities for the Moms.

How was your class reunion, Steph? It sounds like you put a lot of thoughtful work into making the DVD. Too many years have passed in the blink of an eye since I finished and never went to any of the reunions, mainly because the people I cared for most were killed in car or freak accidents in the prime of their lives.

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9247221

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been out of touch! Missed you all!

Been working like a dog at school and my second job but finally have some breathing room!

Weeded the big garden all day yesterday...felt good to make some progress!

Anyone have any idea how to make mums come back each year...I want to buy some this year but my return rate is only in the 40% or less...hate wasting $$ on them and not have them return!

I have a big long list of what I'd buy if I won PB -- would share it too!

C

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9247306

ali mums ???? I HAVE ABOUT 15-20 different plants PLUS & They come back year after Year as Long as I Keep them weeded out if weeds get in them they will die off but if you Mulch around them they Should do fine for you & they are in clay here .
I can share a few with you if you would like .
I Will try to get a few pictures today . well off to print out some info on my Plant swap the 15 th of sept wish ya all could come join us here :)))
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 20, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9247395

my mums never survive either. :/

The reunion was good. Glad its over though. Had a memorial set up with picture frames, roses and candles for the two classmates who took their lives. So many people weren't aware :/ Still a lot of pretentious people..I dressed like myself - jeans - and we got there early to hep set up. I was asked "Oh, honey do you want to go use my room to change?" I said "No dear, this is what I am wearing. This is who I am. Thank you." Had to deal with her on the planning committee too. :/ So yes, glad its over.

Havent spent a lot of time in the garden. Im spent.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

August 20, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9247681

Hi Susan... I am so glad the gift certificate from Swan Island Dahlias arrived swiftly and safely and that you were pleased... I saw your sweet little pom-pom dahlia on your want list and was hoping you'd enjoy shopping on their website. They have some adorable pom-poms...My husband and I took a trip to Oregon a few years ago and visited them - they are located in the city of Canby in the Willamette Valley (which is a beautiful place) It was AMAZING to see 40 acres of dahlias all blooming!! The colors were blinding... we walked around for hours... in fact we spent an entire day there... it was a lot of fun. They are the largest grower in the US and have an awesome variety of plants. I think you'll enjoy shopping.
I grow the one they call 'bluetiful' - and it lives up to it's name... it's just gorgeous! I attached the a photo...

Don't forget that a second package is headed your way sometime in September... I think you will be pleased... I hope so!!

Loved reading all the thoughts and wishes for the million $ winnings... such thoughtful folks on this thread... I think I could second them all...

Headed over to the new sign-up to check it out! Have a great day all... Nancy

Thumbnail by NF2932

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9248137

just wanted to share a few Blooms
BABY TEARS
BELLE OF THE BALL
MUMS FROM CVILLE
vanna white
sunny camille
sunny monica
alantic yellow
avigno selgium
beth pink
adiva purple
will post pictures after they bloom :)

MARROON PRIDE
Hardy Hybiscus PEPPERMINT SCHNAPPS

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9248145

Here are a few of my SUNFLOWERS & Others one is my wild PUMPKIN PLANT Or i hope it is a small white pumpkin

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9248620

Susie, do you have enough Vanna White and some of the 4th picture? If you have enough to share after you send to Ali I would love a pinch next year.

Ali and Minne, are you sure you are buying the perennial mums? The stores around here sell both varieties. I have been told that theirs are all perennials. I'm not sure if they tell us they will come back every year to make the sell or if they simply don't know. I'm not sure how to tell the difference but I found out the hard way.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9248636

I just called one of the trusted florist in this area. She said there are hardy and florist mums. She said the hardy are usually the "button" style mums, sold in gallon containers and the "florist" mums are typically sold in 4" or 6" containers and are usually the daisy style. I hope this helps.

The first two are what I think is the daisy style and the second are the button style courtesy of Google. LoL

Thumbnail by diamond9192002   Thumbnail by diamond9192002   Thumbnail by diamond9192002   Thumbnail by diamond9192002

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 21, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9249008

last year I bought from a reputable - 3 gal pots (7 of them) - perennial mums...they did not come back.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9249114

Minne, I have done the same thing. I got have a few from trades. This will be the first full year. Once they bloom I will know what colors I have. And will have some available to share.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9249358

ok I Need ID Here is what is buzzing around my BUTTERFLY BUSHES can anyone tell me if they are a HUMMINGBIRD ???
these pictures are a little hazy not sure if this is a Hummer or a Moth

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9249386

Susie! How lucky you are to have the Hummingbird Moth in your garden. I have not seen one in the last couple of years.
Jealous, I am.
Alana

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9249417

This is the 1st year I Have seen them I Didn't know what they were at 1st I Thought Just a MOTH But they look & Fly Like HUMMERS
They don't Look like the Hummers Up by the house . wow now I will go down & Check on them even more now :) ty for ID-ing them for me :)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 21, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9249509

arent they cool susie!!?? I love them almost as much as hummers!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9249736

yes i was weeding down in that area & They were buzzing my BFBushes I Have about 6 Bushes down there & I Saw 2 but then My Brother went down later to watch them & Said there was 4-6 of them but i have not seen them up by the house where i have the HUMMER FEEDERS . but then maybe they don't drink like the hummers , This is the 1st time i have seen them sure home they come back next year I Will be sure to have more plants in that area for them . hope to do some reseach on them :) .

OK I Need help is this right so far ??? PLEASE HAVE ALL Boxes OUT BY The 27TH If you have mailed forgive this message :)
If you rec'd & I Don't have it marked please let me know .

DEEJAY9----REC"D
CHEERMOM--
POISONDARTFROG----REC"D
MITTSY --
AHOOGSTRA---REC'D
FRUITOFTHEVINE--
NF2932----
ALIKAT32----
CHELLFLOWER---
REDUNICORN -

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9249740

forgot to mention i have opened a interest for a fall seed swap not sure how many seeds i will have to start one this year but will gather what i can . if anyone has extra seeds & Like to share with others but not join the robin you may send them to me I Can add to the box for others to try . JLMK .
come check us out http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276399/
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9250115

Yah, Susie I have been waiting on the seed Robin!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9250402

I could send you some pink foxglove, Amsonia Blue Willow and pale pink and double white Hollyhocks if you don't mind cleaning them.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9250407

Never heard of the Amsonia Blue Willow.

Susan and Susie, I posted a response to the birthday wishes but I think the cyber boogie man snatched it. Thank you for my bday wishes. LoL
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9250476

LOL Anita, I was hoping you hadn't seen my faux pas.

Susie, this guy was flying around one of the Elephant Ears a couple of weeks ago as I started weeding the corner where they're planted.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9250566

I got a terrific box from Alana today - thanks Alana I love everything - I've always wanted these!

I got:

Daylilies:
Hillbilly Heart
Exotic Treasure
Cluster Muster
Red Eyed Shocker

and

Aristolochia firmbriate White Veined Pipevine
Veronica Spicata Fairy Tale Pink

Wonderful! - here's a pic:

Thumbnail by CheerMom

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9250588

DJ -- the hummingbird moth is quite cute...however, it lays eggs that turn into tomato horn worms that eat all your tomato plants. I can't stand those moths now that I know that - one year my plants were so covered with caterpillars that they were eating all the leaves! So -- if you have tomato plants watch out for those baby hummingbird moth larve... :)

Mums -- good to know it's button vs daisy...I don't mulch them so I'll try that this year...do you just cover them with leaves? I have purple and yellow ones that come back but I really want orange and rust and red... Susie -- I'd love some mums if you're digging/splitting them up!

Anita -- love those photos of the orange/yellow mums...thanks for the info! :) Happy Bday!

Am going to check out the other threads!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9250725

TO COOL SUSAN :) & Ali I WILL go look in the morning for i only have 3 plants so i want to protect them .
good nite all MITTSY LOVE ANY SEEDS YOU HAVE TO OFFER :) I CAN SEND YOU POSTAGE FOR THEM .

DEEJAY9----REC"D
CHEERMOM--REC'D
POISONDARTFROG----REC"D
MITTSY --
AHOOGSTRA---REC'D
FRUITOFTHEVINE--
NF2932----
ALIKAT32----
CHELLFLOWER---
REDUNICORN -
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9250736

Lucky you, Sue. Isn't D/L Cluster Muster especially pretty? You had to sneak a double bloomer in there, didn't you, Alana?

A few of us went out to lunch yesterday for an early surprise birthday for Hubs and enjoyed killer Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches. Before we ate, I stopped at one of my favorite nurseries and asked if they had any Ornamental Kale plants. Yeah, I know, it's about two weeks early in our area, and they'll be available about the same time hardy Mum's are. I guess all the ones I've tried have been perennial, even the ones I made the mistake of using several years ago in a Fall display when I cut holes in the hay bales to hold the pots and let them dry out before I had a chance to plant. Hindsight is always 20/20.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9250909

I wanted to try planting into bale but never got to it GM all Nice sunny Cool Morning sneezing all the way :) Lawn is still pretty wet so i won't go out yet but i want to know if my BRUG Has Opened or not so be right back .
nope not open yet but a good start :) Hard to believe Aug is about over more clean up today
Happy gardening everyone .

Thumbnail by deejay9

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9251662

My box won't go out to my partner until Tues or Wed of next week, still waiting on a couple things to be "ready" to send...promise it will be worth the wait!!

Sue G
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9252347

Wow Susie, she is full of buds! What are you feeding her? I only get a couple at a time. LoL
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9252492

I received my box from FruitOfTheVine in today's mail. Thank you Susan, so very much. She had Ensata Gardens send me 3 Japanese irises. Eileen's Dream and Satozakura will replace two that were stolen in 2010 when vandals got into my Japanese garden. As a gift for my mom's prayer garden she sent Ruffled White Waters. I took pictures from the Ensata catalog pages so hope you can get an idea of how beautiful these will be. It was unbearably hot again today so I'll pot them up tomorrow morning until it cools off and I can put them in the garden.
Mittsy

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9252525

Very pretty! Nice job Susan

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9252671

EVENING EVERYONE IT HAS BEEN A Hot BUSY DAY Brother & I have another sale going on this weekend closed it down about 6:30 pm after super i had to go snap these pictures . to share with you then off to bed tomorrow is another long day . so good nite all .

BRUG 's is fed with ebson salt & MGrow
# 2 is the BIG TOP Where the sale is :) at the end of My Drive

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9252768

DJ -- those sunflowers are just amazing! So beautiful!!!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9252778

Your wants list made it easy, Mittsy, and I really wanted to replace a couple you lost. You're very welcome and hope you and your Mother will enjoy your newest Ensata's. In my book, the person (or people) who invaded your garden and stole plants is one notch above a slug.

Really sorry I didn't give you a heads up, Susie, but never rec'd a tracking #. Your big top looks inviting and wish I could be there in September.

We left for Hub's routine dr appt at 8:30 this morning and landed home late afternoon after making several stops. Mums are starting to fill the shelves! I passed on 8" pots that were pricey at $6.49 each at one nursery, but another one closer to home had the same exact ones for $4.50. I'm still holding out for another place to have them soon 3 for $10 as they have in years past, or maybe they'll be a bit higher. Gotta be better than $6.49 either way. Especially since they're so easy to root.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9253676

the Neighbor loaned me his huge TENT & its been no stop well a couple LULLL's Between time enough for a potty call :) hehe.
anyway I Have been handing out my flyers for our PLANT Swap on the 15 th & If all these gals come HOLLY Molly I'll Have to get another tent Or bigger yard hehe .

& ALI_C We may need More wine :)))) I think half the ones i invited are wine tasters :)))) I've Handed out over 30 copies & I have the printer going now for another 20 copies I Had to get more ink for my printer this morning at 6 am THANK GOD FOR WAL_MART :)
Time for my shower & Get some sleep GN All
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9253757

I have some plans with a puple bloom. They have bloomed a couple of times already this year. Could be Aster??? Those have a bunch of seeds. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Susan, do you buy mums every year? I really want the ornamental kale at least one year. LoL I have started to move some plants already, mainly daylilies and grasses. Have you ever seen Kale or cabbage at Lowes or Home Depot?

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

August 26, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9254530

Hello everyone...

Just wanted to say that I received a Bluestone Perennials gift card from Candi and am so pleased! I can't wait to go shopping... it's still a bit hot here so I will have content myself with browsing the website for now... but I'm really looking forward to shopping. Thanks Candi!!

Susie... the drive up to your tent seems so inviting... wish I lived closer! -:)

Nancy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9254696

Brother JIM Is Talking about Roasting A Pig for that day I've Passed out OVER 40 Anouncement to others who have stopped in for the SALE & Many were so excited about the swap they have never been to one & Many of them LIVE Within 5 -10 miles around here so i hope they show :))) . if they do all show we will need the PIG :))))
Oh Nancy I would love to meet all you gals here I Don't have Nothing Fancy here but i can make room for anyone who would love to come :))) I have friends with campers :)))) & I've Never seen any bears here . well my friends My Body hurts tonight so off to lay it down .
back tomorrow when i am more rested GN all
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9254792

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all lived closer?!

Nancy, If you haven't had an opportunity to order from Bluestone, they are wonderful people to work with. I've ordered from them numerous times and they stand behind their plants for a year, no questions asked. You've probably spotted their online Specials but they have also traditionally held a 50% off sale around Memorial Day, if you can wait that long :) I'd encourage any of you to subscribe to their newsletter. There are several Dahlias I have my eyes on to cash in your Swan Island Gift Certificate but won't place an order until Spring. It's getting late in their shipping season but mainly I don't won't to risk storing and possibly losing prize tubers over the Winter.

Diamond Girl, Yes, I buy hardy Mums each year. So far they've all been 3 for $10 grown in 8" pots, but in the greater scheme of things with me only being back into gardening the past three years, keeping a few for myself and giving others away to friends and neighbors, that's not a lot of Mums I've actually kept. One Manda gave me in June at her RU is blooming now since it wasn't sheared back. Others have bud about to burst. You have to try ornamental Kale! There are two planters on either side of our front door I love redoing in the Fall. They wouldn't be complete without Kale and have used Creeping Jenny or whatever I have on hand as a spiller. This year it's probably going to be Swedish Ivy left over from the hanging baskets. Kale also makes a great centerpiece by itself too, especially the Purple ones.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9254922

Is this an Aster? I got this in a trade. Iove the bloom.

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9255108

ANITA : Looks almost like my MuM But look at the leaf I Can't see your leaf so can't tell ya for sure .

SUSAN : Should you contact BS & Ask if they will still Honor The COUPON If you wait for a yr to cash in ??? I Want to get in on their 50% off sale ,

LAST WEEK TO GET THE BOXES IN THE MAIL CHELLE DID YOU GET YOUR BOX please let me know if i missed a box as you all know its been a busy month for me .

DEEJAY9----REC"D
CHEERMOM--REC'D
POISONDARTFROG----REC"D
MITTSY --REC"D
AHOOGSTRA---REC'D
FRUITOFTHEVINE--
NF2932----REC"D
ALIKAT32----
CHELLFLOWER---
REDUNICORN -
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9255448

Hi everyone.

yes DeeJay, I did get my box a few days ago, sorry I hadn't had time to post until now...been busy with work, trying to get kids ready for school & sister in hospital. Whew, but today the boys are happily at school, sis is doing better last I heard, and I'm off work playing catchup, LOL!

I got a great box from Deejay. She sent...

daylilies: tuscawalla tiger, star quest, smoke rise volcano, all fired up, storm warning, & tennessee flycaatcher.
also, a pink anthurium & dracaena lemon surprise.. thanks so much for the wonderful plants Deejay, such a wonderful selection of daylilies to add to my garden!

I'm boxing & mailing my partner's box today.

Thumbnail by chellflower

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9255639

WOW Happy to know I sent it out for I was worried that I Had maybe sent your box to someone else without relizing what I Had done glad you like . I Love the BLOOMS On All of them :) Ok two more to go & Hope to hear from them by end of week :))))

DEEJAY9----REC"D
CHEERMOM--REC'D
POISONDARTFROG----REC"D
MITTSY --REC"D
AHOOGSTRA---REC'D
FRUITOFTHEVINE--
NF2932----REC"D
ALIKAT32----
CHELLFLOWER---REC"D
REDUNICORN -
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9255908

Susie, Nancy sent a Swan Island Dahlias Gift Certificate to me. There is no expiration on Bluestone Gift Certificates, or there didn't used to be. Don't know about the coupons.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9256120

My partner's box is on it's way should be there by Wednesday (hope hope)

Sue G

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9256152

Evening all Can't stay just got my shower & Now its off to bed very soon IT was very Hot & Muggy Here today & I Helped my Brother Move MY critter House what a JOB That was But Looking so Nice :) so good nite all

DEEJAY9----REC"D
CHEERMOM--REC'D
POISONDARTFROG----REC"D
MITTSY --REC"D
AHOOGSTRA---REC'D
FRUITOFTHEVINE--REC"D
NF2932----REC"D
ALIKAT32----
CHELLFLOWER---REC"D
REDUNICORN -
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9257543

Hey everyone!

Excellent plants for you, Chell. Do hope your Sis continues to improve and you'll have a bit of peace and quiet around the house with the kids back in school, at least on your days off...lol

Wasn't it here we were talking about Mums? Anywho, I went out with the intention of taking a photo of one blooming now that Manda gave me in our May swap, and I did, after first capturing a pic of a crazy Columbine close to it that's also blooming. Wonder what kind of schedule it's on? 'Origami Mix' was a new one added this Spring. Cats kept digging it up to get to the bonemeal in the hole and I'd replant it each time. Poor thing looked dead for so long and didn't give it much hope. What a weird surprise. Might get a few seeds, and Susie and Candi, I have not forgotten the Columbine seeds I owe you.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine      

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9257616

Oh So Pretty SUSAN Love your blooms isn;t it fun to find a surprise here & There :)))

I I've ask for id on these two plants before & Again lost the tags this time I Have a p-touch
I know # 2 is Henry elders

wish i could stay & Play but tomorrow is a long day for me GN all

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9257699

Hi Everyone!

School starts tomorrow! I'm a busy busy girl getting everything ready for the big day! I've been out weeding each night but am too tired to do much else!

Fruity -- I have found mums at 3 for $10...but haven't seen those yet...will keep looking -- thanks for the info on the 50% off at bluestone!

DJ -- I'm still waiting for my box...I'm not ignoring ya! I'd love to be able to meet you all in person...everyone is SOOOO nice!

All -I'm getting better at tagging the plants and I've been collecting lots of seeds...someday I'll have the names to all the plants! I aspire to be like all of you!

I planted some obedient plants a few days ago - the school was moving a garden and didn't want them! They are awesome! If I get seeds I'll collect those too!

I don't have any exciting fall plants blooming yet --- the deer ate all my sunflowers! The turtleheads aren't quite out yet...and the tall phlox are all full of dusty mildew...the sedum isn't quite in bloom yet...so maybe I'll have some photos in a few weeks!

C
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9257819

It is fun to find a surprise. A Columbine in late August isn't at all what I was expecting.
#3 I believe is Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'. See if you think it's a match: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2164/

Candi, you go Girl, and have a great 1st day at school tomorrow. School started here the first week of September. Buses pass by our home around 7 AM and again around 4 PM like clockwork. If I miss seeing or hearing them, our yappy Yorkie lets us know.

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9257888

Morning! It's the big day! 300 little 4th, 5th and 6th graders!
Love the yappie little doggies...my little barker can't see the road...he barks at squirrels and chipmunks through the glass doors!

C
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012

Post #9257916

Susie, Picture #1 is Persicaria Lance Corporal also called Fleece Flower. I'm pretty sure, I have it and your picture looks like mine. I'll try to get a picture for you for comparison.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy      

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9257963

TY SUSAN & MITTSY You Both are Right on got them tagged & Hope i don't loose them again :) Sun Popping out So drying off nicely but it is very foggy here this morning . off to print off some info you all have a great day & Thank you for your help.

susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9257964

& ALI A Birdie said Your Goodies is in flight :) so should land in a couple days :))))

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9259953

Hi Everyone,

I got my August box today...thanks so much Chell! You sent me so much!
I am very excited about all of them...WOW! You must have amazing plants in your zone! I love the huge leaves and all the designs on the canna bengal tiger leaves! The hostas will do great here! And I hope the aloe stays strong...it's a great looking plant! So amazing! Below is a pick of ALL THE PLANTS in the box! Chell...thanks again!

I'm also attaching some other photos of the flowers here that are blooming now! :)

Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32      

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9259954

Hi Everyone,

I got my August box today...thanks so much Chell! You sent me so much!
I am very excited about all of them...WOW! You must have amazing plants in your zone! I love the huge leaves and all the designs on the canna bengal tiger leaves! The hostas will do great here! And I hope the aloe stays strong...it's a great looking plant! So amazing! Below is a pick of ALL THE PLANTS in the box! Chell...thanks again!

I'm also attaching some other photos of the flowers here that are blooming now! :)

1st: chell's box
2nd: bee balm from Mary in Alaska
3rd: Turtleheads
4th: obedient plant transplants

Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   

chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9265801

alikat,

you're welcome...I tried to send things that are either zone hardy for you or as houseplants. Hope everything grows well and you get much joy from them!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America