Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Fall vegetable crops in Great Lakes area?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 22, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9214584

Has anyone experimented with growing a fall vegetable garden beyond the cold-lovers like kale, carrots, etc? I know folks in warmer climates like TX do fall tomatoes but was curious as to what would be successful in our region. Would love to hear of anyone's experiences.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9220526

I've tried a few beans that way, some of them take pretty cold temps, K.Wonder ,Blue lake, long time standards.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 27, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9220802

Hmmm - interesting. I haven't tried any beans this year. Are both of these pole beans? Would you direct sow? and when?
Thanks for the idea!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9220844

Yes they are both climbers and they vine and twine,mine took about three hard frosts before they gave up and died one season.I'm trying again presently as a redo sow. About anytime now and the next few weeks should get you some beans. I have some that are about four or five days old today. Some that I re did earlier died from the drought as I had not kept up with plans.
Supposedly 51 days or so is all it takes to get beans.I'm still trying for that #!!

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 28, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9221753

Just realized I don't have the space in the garden to start beans now. Rats! I'll probably just start some new kale plants to replace the ones I planted in the spring.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9221773

Well take your time deciding maybe a few more will make a suggestion for an idea or two,After all a season or two of pondering is what many of us do.("kicking an an idea around for a while"" is sometimes a good idea any way)
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 29, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9222273

I could probably do the beans if my squash refuse to set any fruit but they're currently sited near trellises so that I can grow them vertically if they're ever inclined to cooperate. But time-wise, I'm not sure when to call it quits with the squash and move on to something else.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America