Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Will cattle eat echinacea?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carolina_Mike
Whitesburg, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9214760

I am interested in growing echinacea in my cow pasture along with some other prairie flowers such as other cone flowers, arnica, and maybe other things later. The echinacea I want to grow is echinacea tennesseesis. This is one of the most endangered varieties of the flower. My interest is to preserve them as they are nearly extinct. They need a field if they are to grow into a large population of plants. I am afraid that my flowers will grow, bloom, and then be mowed down by the bovines.

Does anyone know if cattle will eat my echinacea?

If so, will they have enough sense to not clear cut it all at once?

Lastly, is there any type of flower that will hurt them if they eat it?

Thanks, Mike
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 22, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9214898

I really don't know. I think it would partly depend upon how lush your pastures are. Last summer during the drought my cows ate almost EVERYthing! Ordinarily they only sample the wildflowers and other forbs in their pastures. They also seem to avoid the toxic stuff; even during the drought they left the nightshade alone. Clear-cutting seems unlikely.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9216477

I Carolina_Mike, I have no idea. I believe wholeheartedly in echinacea and hope you do well with it though. Hope you'll keep us informed on what happens.

My donkey will not eat sunflowers. He seems to eat most everything else but will NOT eat sunflowers and they are all over in his lot.

I tried to google this, but all I saw was people doctoring their cows with echinacea and didn't find anything about them eating it in the field. Seems that animals are very intuitive about what they should or should not be eating. As I recall Essiac tea was discovered when a man noticed that his horse with cancer was eating a certain plant. The horse was healed. So he began to try it on people and they were healed too, or so the story is told.

Carolina_Mike
Whitesburg, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9227750

I also tried to research this. I found several places that talked about medical use of echinacea for cows. None of the sites said that the cows would find their own, but it would make sense that they would if they needed it. Animal instincts will make a sick dog eat grass...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America