Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: What I Do When It Rains

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 25, Views: 573
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9215103

My husband always dreads coming home when I have been cooped up all day with the rain. I always have ideas. We have a small farm and most of my time is spent working the farm or training dogs, all of which is outside. I am so glad to find others who like to repurpose things and understand being a bit outside the box.

This was a project that is actually for our bunkhouse, I was given a print in a nondescript frame, matted and glassed when some friends were moving. One of those, "Knew you would like this" kind of things.

It has been sitting against a wall because although I don't mind the watercolor, I can't abide the frame in my turn of the century farm house. So when the rains came, I got an idea. I took an old window frame I found and after a bit of remodeling and flipping it over, came up with a suitable "house" for my print. No glass at this point, don't think I need it.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew   Thumbnail by rouxcrew   Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9215327

Joy, I love it. So creative. Good job.

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

July 23, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9215677

I hope it keeps raining, keep us posted with with your ideas.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9215864

Wow Joy, that is really nice!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9215879

I don't think you need the glass either. It's lovely!!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9215996

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I am already wandering about working on another idea. I have an old piece of a hay rake, iron and rusty. Tink I will go the easy route and turn it into either a clock or use it as a base for n old water pipe floor lamp. DH is so hoping for the former. I found an old parking meter while junking and want to use it as part of a handrail, pipe, for the front steps. Now he is hiding from me. Lol
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9216021

Heehee.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9216442

Here's a pic of the rake. I think I will humor my DH and make a farm clock out of it. Picked up some satin varathane spray and will spray it tomorrow, at least the side against the wall. Also got a clock mechanism and hands, we will see if it is as easy as they say. No numbers, we can never manage to be exact here, there is always something slowing us down. GG

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9216677

Oh, that will be so pretty as a clock! Just get a small piece of wood for the center, and put the clock piece in there. Can't wait to see it finished.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9216753

great T2T .. love the clock idea ...
velveteena
Seattle, WA

July 25, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9217688

Very nice job on a picture I love. So rustic chic!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9225605

Got the clock mechanism figured out, used a rubber washer over the center to hold it in place. It is now hanging in the bunkhouse but looks rather drab. DS stopped in and suggested that I paint the four points of the clock, pun intended. Don't want a dial, too conformist, beside everything here runs on "about" time. What do you think?

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9225690

I think you should wait for more rain lol

I actually like it but I agree that it needs something. Maybe contrast for the clockworks but not sure what color would work with your surrounds. Kristi

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9225727

Well, there is a wide range of options. A friend offered to repaint the inside of the bunkhouse in a barter, and what she ended up with was not what I originally agreed. The walls are a periwinkle and the baseboards and trim are white. Then she added bedspreads using shades of blue and the whole effect is that of a doctor's office. The clock is actually hanging on a wall. I flipped the spreads and found a wonderful ticking pattern, and have been working on putting things in that brighten. Like a sunflower yellow pillow with big embroidered flowers in primary colors. A bentwood chair painted in a distressed red, a couple old signs and some game boards. Evan had suggested that I paint the hands a bright color, maybe one of each?
What if I painted a circle or square behind the clock? Would that be weird? Mean I would need to do it other places?
Here is a microwave stand that we made out of old wood that is near it. You can see the wall color better.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

kanuallc
Lorena, TX

August 1, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9225730

love the clock and personally wouldn't change a thing! and the old wood stand is awesome...great job on both!

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

August 1, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9226066

The clock looks terrific, I would paint the hands an off white so it can be easier to read.
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9226712

I like the clock in its natural rusty look but if you want wild, try orange paint. Orange is opposite purple on the color wheel. Should make it pop.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9226782

I do agree on a bright color but not to paint the rust, only the clockworks itself.

Not sure what color but orange might be interesting.

And I do like that microwave stand. Primitive furniture appeals to (only) me at our house. lol

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9226837

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I will stop in HL and pick up sme paint for the clock works. I also have decided to paint/stencil a rug on the floor. This building was built at the turn of the century and was used as a meeting place for local Czech farmers. It still has the original floors. I found an old enamel topped table for eating and think I will put the rug under it. Hope it is as easy to do as it sounds. Must have color!
I feel for you podster, my DH used to not care either way, but now he can appreciate the craftsmanship and longevity of old stuff when compared to how quickly new stuff falls apart. Besides my TtoT usually doesn't cost much but time.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9249563

Update on our bunkhouse. Got the clock hands painted and everyone likes it. Meanwhile we got more rain and I made a lamp for the beds. I had bought this cage thing for a couple bucks and when I got to thinking, it screamed "Lamp". Found out that Lowes even has the old fashioned light bulbs with the cool insides. The bracket was a HL clearance, $2.50. DH picked up the lamp fixings.
Then I took an old folding chair ($15) and made a pad for it with some fabric scraps. Used fabric glue and staples since my sewing machine is in storage. Now looking at it, I think I will take them off and paint the chair a bright color, maybe red, before I put them back on.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew   Thumbnail by rouxcrew   Thumbnail by rouxcrew   Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Click an image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9249567

It's unanimous... both DH & I think the clock turned out cool.
And I will second the bright paint on the chair idea.
Hope you will post a photo when done.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9249568

Love your work!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9249817

Yay for rain!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9251683

very nice!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9271081

Joy,
We have a farm tool out in our pasture just rotting down that looks similiar to what you are calling a rake but here it is a sod buster. 4 rows of pieces that look similiar to what you made clock out of. I talked my husb. into taking 1 piece off for a lady on garden forum and he had a fit won't take any more pieces off and we don't use it. Men what a pain. Would love to just take it apart and give the pieces away but it is really rusted tog. Never thought anyone owuld want any pieces of it but now I've learned they do. I would be so happy to give it all away but you know how that goes.
Bonnie

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9271230

Bonnie you are right, it is an iron disc off one. When they get rusted onto the bar it is a ton of work to get them off. I find all kinds of neat implements at local auctions that have sat out for years. Unfortunately most are beyond reclaiming without a cutting torch.
I would love to use one for a lamp base.

Joy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America